As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Travelling is really boring

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what does that mean?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you're a A-list member, you can filter people base on attractiveness. This number shows up in the URL; it's from like 0-10000.

3+ is 4000
    4+ is 6000
    5 is 8000

<3 on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have to be a-list to find that out?

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had an A-lister on reddit search for me.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So the girl I met in person by accident and prematurely isn't a ruined case yet. I messaged her,
    Well that was just a little tiny bit awkward. O_O
    But it was nice to meet you in person, however unexpected or ungraceful it may have been. ^_^

And she responded
    I thought u looked familiar lol

So that was a favorable end to what could have been an awkward catastrophe. But how should I proceed?

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just had an interesting experience on OK Cupid. I messaged a few girls and then left the website open as I talked to a friend on Facebook, and eventually I noticed that a girl had IMed me. Score!

Well I look at her profile and the first thing I notice is that she has a lazy eye, which is apparent in all of her pictures. I feel like a dick, but I kind of don't want to respond based on that, but then my friend convinces me not to be such an asshole so I attempt a conversation. I ask her what she wants to talk about and she just parrots my question back. Oookaayyy...

So I try to talk about things on her profile and all the answers are basically "Uh huh" and "yeah." As this is happening I notice more things, like that she's somewhat serious about her religion (I don't mind if a girl has faith, but if she's serious about it we might not be a good match) and that we're 53% match and 38% enemy. I'm trying to figure out why she's messaging me.

My friend says I should ask about super powers; she's a particularly cool girl, this friend, but still a girl so I figure it can't be the worst lead in the world and decide to ask it.By the time I get back to this girl IMing me, though, she's said that she's tired of being sick. I ask what's wrong and she says it's complications from medication she has to take for her illness. I commiserate with her for a bit, resulting in more "uh huh", and then I ask her what super power she'd want, and her answer is that she'd want to always be healthy. How the fuck do I respond to that? "Oh! Mine is telekineses"?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hit the little "x" to the upper right of your chat window and move on.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I said it was a "fair enough answer" and guess her response?
    If you said "uh huh" then you win the prize.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    Bagginses wrote: »
    On the body weight issue, I'm definitely overweight even though I'm lower than the average American male while being taller. I weep for this country, and can't even imagine what the south must look like given that I'm one of the fattest people I see in my area.

Colorado's obesity rate is higher now than Mississippi's 20 years ago.

Colorado is hovering around 17% last I checked...Are you sure?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I just had an interesting experience on OK Cupid. I messaged a few girls and then left the website open as I talked to a friend on Facebook, and eventually I noticed that a girl had IMed me. Score!

Well I look at her profile and the first thing I notice is that she has a lazy eye, which is apparent in all of her pictures. I feel like a dick, but I kind of don't want to respond based on that, but then my friend convinces me not to be such an asshole so I attempt a conversation. I ask her what she wants to talk about and she just parrots my question back. Oookaayyy...

So I try to talk about things on her profile and all the answers are basically "Uh huh" and "yeah." As this is happening I notice more things, like that she's somewhat serious about her religion (I don't mind if a girl has faith, but if she's serious about it we might not be a good match) and that we're 53% match and 38% enemy. I'm trying to figure out why she's messaging me.

My friend says I should ask about super powers; she's a particularly cool girl, this friend, but still a girl so I figure it can't be the worst lead in the world and decide to ask it.By the time I get back to this girl IMing me, though, she's said that she's tired of being sick. I ask what's wrong and she says it's complications from medication she has to take for her illness. I commiserate with her for a bit, resulting in more "uh huh", and then I ask her what super power she'd want, and her answer is that she'd want to always be healthy. How the fuck do I respond to that? "Oh! Mine is telekineses"?

Not the brightest crayon in the box... I'd keep it movin'.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So the girl I met in person by accident and prematurely isn't a ruined case yet. I messaged her,
    But it was nice to meet you in person, however unexpected or ungraceful it may have been. ^_^

And she responded

So that was a favorable end to what could have been an awkward catastrophe. But how should I proceed?

The ice has basically already been broken; you've both seen each other in person. I think you're a "Go" for asking her out for coffee or tapas; your choice.

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On the body weight issue, I'm definitely overweight even though I'm lower than the average American male while being taller. I weep for this country, and can't even imagine what the south must look like given that I'm one of the fattest people I see in my area.

Colorado's obesity rate is higher now than Mississippi's 20 years ago.

Colorado is hovering around 17% last I checked...Are you sure?
    cdc.gov wrote:
    2009 State Obesity Rates
    Colorado 18.6%
    http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
    Lowest of the current list, but going by the map they've got on that site, it looks plausible at least (no data for Mississippi till 1990, then its in the 10-14% range. In 1991 they move up a bracket so probably very near the top of that range). Mississippi is currently leading the pack at 34.4%.

Lalilulelo: Sounds like time for an official meeting in person.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

And she responded

You say "Well, since we've already met, want to get together for [activity/beverages]?"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I was about to message a girl when I noticed one of the six things she can't live without was "Menstrual paint."

Cervetus on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hahahahaha.

riz on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is that I don't even

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »

And she responded

You say "Well, since we've already met, want to get together for [activity/beverages]?"

I feel like that's a premature move.

Dont_touch_the_girls.gif

I might be overly cautious..

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »

And she responded

I feel like that's a premature move.

I might be overly cautious..

Don't delay; just give her a message back. You already have met each other in person; she knows you're not full of it because you're basically looking for a gallery for your work - just do it.

As an aside, OKC scares the living daylights out of me for my region, there be some messed up people all up ins (seriously, almost all the females have 1+ children for my age bracket (mid-late 20s) wtf!

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah there's a lot of girls with kids... I saw one suggested match, 1 kid, dropped out of high school, makes less than I make (I'm barely cracking the 20k/year barrier). I don't think she even lived in my state. I was like, um... so... why is this a good thing? And her profile was hardly filled out so it wasn't even like i could say, 'well she seems nice.'

I'm Catholic, and it's great when OKC throws me matches that are 'Atheist and serious about it.' It's like, I'll go so far as agnostic but I don't know if an atheist is going to be the best match for me in any kind of long term relationship. We can be friends, but come on. I can see it now:

Me: I HATE THE WAY YOU MANIPULATE, AND YOU NEVER WANT TO DO THE THINGS I LIKE! Sometimes, I just want to play PLAYSTATION!
    Her: Oh yeah? Well you believe in an invisible magic man who lives in the sky! All your traditions are borrowed from Pagan holidays!

Me: ;_;

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, don't delay. You've talked, met in person accidentally, time to schedule a date.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm Catholic, and it's great when OKC throws me matches that are 'Atheist and serious about it.' It's like, I'll go so far as agnostic but I don't know if an atheist is going to be the best match for me in any kind of long term relationship. We can be friends, but come on.

Honestly, sometimes I have to wonder if people really know what box they're checking, because a lot of people in general don't seem to understand that "atheist" and "agnostic" are not the same thing at all. I bet plenty of people check the atheist box because they aren't particularly religious and don't know what the word implies to those who are.

riz on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, people generally mix the two up.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    riz wrote: »
    I'm Catholic, and it's great when OKC throws me matches that are 'Atheist and serious about it.' It's like, I'll go so far as agnostic but I don't know if an atheist is going to be the best match for me in any kind of long term relationship. We can be friends, but come on.

Honestly, sometimes I have to wonder if people really know what box they're checking, because a lot of people in general don't seem to understand that "atheist" and "agnostic" are not the same thing at all. I bet plenty of people check the atheist box because they aren't particularly religious and don't know what the word implies to those who are.

If they don't know the difference then we really don't have anything to talk about. :?

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm Catholic, and it's great when OKC throws me matches that are 'Atheist and serious about it.' It's like, I'll go so far as agnostic but I don't know if an atheist is going to be the best match for me in any kind of long term relationship. We can be friends, but come on. I can see it now:

Lali, it might be true that some people wouldn't be willing to date outside their faith, but that's not true of everyone. I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't mock a partner of mine for being religious. I'm a pretty serious atheist, not someone who just doesn't care (as mentioned a couple posts before mine). But I realize it's unacceptable to mock my partner for her religion. And I realize it'd be a little harder for someone religious to date an atheist than the other way (what with knowing they're going to hell and all) but it's not a deal breaker for everyone.

In your case, sure, you might never date an "Atheist and serious about it." But some "Catholic and serious about it"s would, and OKC isn't smart enough to pick out who it would work for and who it wouldn't.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Me: I HATE THE WAY YOU MANIPULATE, AND YOU NEVER WANT TO DO THE THINGS I LIKE! Sometimes, I just want to play PLAYSTATION!
    Her: Oh yeah? Well you believe in an invisible magic man who lives in the sky! All your traditions are borrowed from Pagan holidays!

It's true, that is how we argue.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Lali, it might be true that some people wouldn't be willing to date outside their faith, but that's not true of everyone. I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't mock a partner of mine for being religious. I'm a pretty serious atheist, not someone who just doesn't care (as mentioned a couple posts before mine). But I realize it's unacceptable to mock my partner for her religion. And I realize it'd be a little harder for someone religious to date an atheist than the other way (what with knowing they're going to hell and all) but it's not a deal breaker for everyone.

In your case, sure, you might never date an "Atheist and serious about it." But some "Catholic and serious about it"s would, and OKC isn't smart enough to pick out who it would work for and who it wouldn't.

It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me. But my strongest relationships (not just S.O.s) involve being able to connect on as many levels as possible, especially some level of spirituality.

Cervetus wrote: »

It's true, that is how we argue.

Really? I was just drawing a caricature. :P

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As an aside, OKC scares the living daylights out of me for my region, there be some messed up people all up ins (seriously, almost all the females have 1+ children for my age bracket (mid-late 20s) wtf!

seriously dude, welcome to utah. except change that age bracket to early-mid 20s.

MortalToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me. But my strongest relationships (not just S.O.s) involve being able to connect on as many levels as possible, especially some level of spirituality.

I understand. It's just another matter where OKC has to generalize, and can't be perfect at selecting your matches, all it can do is help out. There are lots of cases where I o_O at the matches I get. It seems to give me a lot of trannies and hardcore metal types (keep in mind, I'm a 9-5 office worker cube slave and I hate tattoos).

Also: Hahaha. Just saw this:
    I'm more or less 18 and if you don't know what I'm implying, don't bother messaging me to ask. Also, don't message me if you're married or to ask if I "want an older man." I should think the age preference part of my "looking for" section implies the latter.

Read: "I'm 16 or 17 and looking for a pedo sugar daddy to whisk me away!"

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

That's just Christians. Other religions believe that God's not going to wait if you've pissed him off.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

functionally I wouldn't say they're very different, especially to a religious person

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

That's just Christians. Other religions believe that God's not going to wait if you've pissed him off.

You're right. And other religions wouldn't care at all. I misused "religious" when I meant "Christian." :(

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

functionally I wouldn't say they're very different, especially to a religious person

I find the two distinct.

Anyway.

still mulling over this whole thing. Money is tight now so I'm not in a position to go out at the moment. Guess I should just bide my time.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I find the two distinct.

Anyway.

still mulling over this whole thing. Money is tight now so I'm not in a position to go out at the moment. Guess I should just bide my time.

Ask her to meet up for a beverage of some sort. Surely you can scrape together a few bucks for a drink. Sounds like you're way overthinking/worrying this, just give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    [

Ask her to meet up for a beverage of some sort. Surely you can scrape together a few bucks for a drink. Sounds like you're way overthinking/worrying this, just give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Fortune favors the bold, sir. Like Pellaeon suggests, get 4 or 5 dollars together (pan handle, what ever you must) and just be like, "Hey, want to go to <insert local coffee house> and get a drink." The longer you delay, the weirder it becomes. Get to it!

thatassemblyguy on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, you can just go for coffee and a walk or something. In fact, I think if you don't ask her out, you'd be sending a pretty loud "I'm not really interested after having seen you" message.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Yeah, you can just go for coffee and a walk or something. In fact, I think if you don't ask her out, you'd be sending a pretty loud "I'm not really interested after having seen you" message.

Good point, everyone. O_O

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

seriously dude, welcome to utah. except change that age bracket to early-mid 20s.

Pfft I live in Albuquerque and it seems everyone has a child here even the crazy women

As for religion I keep my mouth shut about it since I really don't care but the loud mouths do annoy me I did not fill out the box at all

My money is quite tight so I do go on dates when I can afford to which is not that often. I do like dating but since last summer I have not been on one nor does it look like it's going to change

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys I like to split hairs on little details so could you tell me if this is effective?!
    I wrote:
    Yeahhh well, what can I say? ^_^
    Since that's out of the way I guess the ice is (unexpectedly) broken, would you like to meet somewhere for coffee/tea/whatever? You know, at a time and place of our choosing? :P

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Don't be so wishy washy. Ask her out to do something specific, at a specific place, at a specific time. You're asking her to do all the work, which is annoying.

If she's going to say no to that, she's going to say no (or give a half answer/half rejection) to what you wrote.

"Want to get coffee at [specific place] on [specific day]?"

And maybe I'm just old, but enough with the emoticons. I know it's trying to be cute, but to me they reek of trying to hard and being insecure. I know I've had girls view messages form me in a much poorer light because I used one smiley.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Danc.

Edit: I've never picked a specific place to go without knowing we were going to go somewhere. Picking a place isn't hard I just usually ask a girl if she wants to go anywhere first. That's been pretty effective up to this point. But I get what you're saying, and naming a day was a good point-- dunno why I neglected that. Also the 'time and place of our choosing' was a joke in reference to the fact that I ran into her accidentally for the first time while I was out gallery hunting. It was awkward and graceless (and funny) for everyone involved.

Lalilulelo on