As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Travelling is really boring

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    acadia wrote: »
    I decided to give online dating a shot, as my current pool of women to choose from consists of girls that my close friends are in love with, making them off limits. Anyway, I made an account on OKC. Anyone want to give me some tips? Would YOU date me? Do I come across as an asshole?

Tell me, eh?

The writing is a little boring. Try varying your sentence structure. Also, use specific examples. Saying "I'm smart and easy-going" doesn't prove anything. If you're smart and easy-going, it should come across in your writing. Basically, show, don't tell.

I'd also play up the webcomic bit, maybe even provide a link. Linking to my blog made it clear that I wasn't just another dude claiming to be a writer. The proof is in the pudding, so show them the tasty!

sanstodo on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I decided to give online dating a shot, as my current pool of women to choose from consists of girls that my close friends are in love with, making them off limits. Anyway, I made an account on OKC. Anyone want to give me some tips? Would YOU date me? Do I come across as an asshole?

Tell me, eh?

A few things that come across poorly. You have a web comic, but you spend so little time on it you felt the need to mention twice that you don't spend enough time on it. Eh? Maybe not mention that part since it sounds negative, or rephrase it something like "it's my passion and I'd like to spend more time on it." Now it's a goal and not a failing. Likewise "i have potential but not the drive to make it big," this section brought to you by the letter T for turnoff. Finally, "message me if you read all this and still want to talk to me." Well yeah that's the general idea, but why? I read your answer and think "was there something here that was supposed to make me NOT want to message?" Don't put that idea in her head.

Your profile is your chance to talk yourself up and be confident, don't shoot yourself in the foot and bring yourself down

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fixed both. Also, I've already gotten two messages so far, and had a nice conversation with a pretty fuckin cute girl! I created this thing like 5 hours ago. What the hell?

acadia on
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And now I have a date. What.

acadia on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you first sign up, you get put on the front page. You should edit your profile and answer questions every now and then to go back on there. Glad to see you're moving on.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    A few things that come across poorly. You have a web comic, but you spend so little time on it you felt the need to mention twice that you don't spend enough time on it. Eh? Maybe not mention that part since it sounds negative, or rephrase it something like "it's my passion and I'd like to spend more time on it." Now it's a goal and not a failing. Likewise "i have potential but not the drive to make it big," this section brought to you by the letter T for turnoff. Finally, "message me if you read all this and still want to talk to me." Well yeah that's the general idea, but why? I read your answer and think "was there something here that was supposed to make me NOT want to message?" Don't put that idea in her head.

Your profile is your chance to talk yourself up and be confident, don't shoot yourself in the foot and bring yourself down

A good way to think about it is that people are going to assume your approach to your hobbies and interests are how you approach your relationships. It's not much of a leap of logic, either. If you just casually commit to things that you like, such as playing an instrument or going to events, it makes sense that it says more about your personality than your actual interest level.

I mean, if a friend tells me "yeah I was really into it but I don't know, I need to practice, but I'm not feeling it," and then I don't hear from him unless I make the call? Yeah, suddenly I feel like he treats his friends like his hobbies. If you describe yourself by what can be categorized as "shortcomings," you're asking someone else to assign you potential. You need to be doing that yourself.

Of course, dude's got a date, so it's not an exact science ;D

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fixed both. Also, I've already gotten two messages so far, and had a nice conversation with a pretty fuckin cute girl! I created this thing like 5 hours ago. What the hell?

Good timing. It always comes in waves, so don't get discouraged if you hit a dry spell later on. Woo on the date, just try not to get too amped up :P

Bobble on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you first sign up, you get put on the front page. You should edit your profile and answer questions every now and then to go back on there. Glad to see you're moving on.

Yep. Change your profile somewhat once a week I'd say. I've noticed that I tend to get profile updates for people I've saved as favourites, or people whose profile I've viewed when they change things.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what's the take on deleting/re-creating your profile every so often? I had a friend that would do that...not sure if it was a benefit, other than showing up in the "new user" area of whatever site. This was on PoF, and I still have no idea how their backend works.

MortalToaster on
  • Options
    ArgiveArgive Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just saw a girl on Okcupid whose "you should message me if" field says: "if you're a nice american guy." Then, in her pics, she's wearing an American flag broach (too big to be one of those lapel pins). I thought maybe this was a funny joke (cause I was laughing). But, then I saw that she's a very devout catholic from the midwest, which makes me wonder if she really is serious. I also wonder if "American" is code for white.

Argive on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Argive wrote: »
    I just saw a girl on Okcupid whose "you should message me if" field says: "if you're a nice american guy." Then, in her pics, she's wearing an American flag broach (too big to be one of those lapel pins). I thought maybe this was a funny joke (cause I was laughing). But, then I saw that she's a very devout catholic from the midwest, which makes me wonder if she really is serious. I also wonder if "American" is code for white.

Change your ethnicity to Native American and send a message about how you were here first.
    Don't do this

Jragghen on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    do it!

it'll either work out great, or be a really funny story (later)!

or nothing will happen

Joolander on
  • Options
    ArgiveArgive Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Change your ethnicity to Native American and send a message about how you were here first.

Haha, I'd also have to replace my pics with someone less white. I thought about asking her if my europhillic love of soccer ruled me out.

Argive on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's actually funnier if you don't change your pictures.. Yeah, the worst thing that could happen is she talk back to you. Positively or not is moot.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Link.:lol:

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lalilulelo wrote: »

Link.:lol:

We've got an unofficial (?) rule against linking the profiles of strangers.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fair enough!

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Goodbye, internet dating, hello punching above my weight in real life!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Punching above your weight? You look like a good couple. You also look like you're on the edge of starting a dangerous precedent for the thread.

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Punching above your weight? You look like a good couple. You also look like you're on the edge of starting a dangerous precedent for the thread.

I also hope you got her permission to post the photo.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sanstodo wrote: »

I thought about that; I wasn't planning on leaving it up for more than 48 hours or so, and it's publicly available on facebook. Some of my OKC shots with friends are probably worse in this respect.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    kaliyama wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »

I thought about that; I wasn't planning on leaving it up for more than 48 hours or so, and it's publicly available on facebook. Some of my OKC shots with friends are probably worse in this respect.

If it's on facebook, then whatever :)

You look great together. Good job 8-)

sanstodo on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Which is what?

Slider on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of punching above your weight, I lately been thinking that I should lower my standards. I seen it repeated in the thread plenty of times that there's not such thing as it and I'm sure it's true but I'm feeling as I tend to message girls that are over my league.

It feels weird to say it as a guy, but I tend to feel unnatractive most of the time.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, you get out what you put in usually. So if you're not taking care of your appearance or making an effort, you're less likely to attract a partner who does. Actually, this applies to everything, not just how you look.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Slider wrote: »

Which is what?

When you get a relationship from online dating you post a picture. Probably not going to happen generally, though ;D
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Speaking of punching above your weight, I lately been thinking that I should lower my standards. I seen it repeated in the thread plenty of times that there's not such thing as it and I'm sure it's true but I'm feeling as I tend to message girls that are over my league.

It feels weird to say it as a guy, but I tend to feel unnatractive most of the time.

Most guys don't think of themselves as particularly attractive. It doesn't really matter, though, because you don't need to date yourself, and can you exactly describe what makes someone else attractive? And why two people who look very different can still be attractive to the same person?

Standards are good to a point, but there's good standards and unrealistic standards. If your standards are "must have a certain nose, a certain hairline, a certain figure and bust size, and exactly 5'4" and born within one month of me," you might be unrealistic. Same with "must play video games."

Good standards would, arguably, be guidelines that encourage both people to be open minded. Like "Doesn't hate video games" or "shorter than me or not concerned about being taller" or "is plucky and fun." The problem with those kind of standards is that you generally can't find out about them until after you're talking with someone, I would imagine.

If you're striking out, though, you might want to try messaging people that you at least find attractive, so you are still interested in meeting them potentially. Even if things don't work out, it's still good practice. Like, I just got a new job, but I'm still doing a phone interview with Amazon because why not? Good practice!

EggyToast on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fuck, fuck, fuck. Had two awesome dates last week and she's choosing another guy. Argh.

Corvus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Is it a good sign that we're sending nearly 2,000 word messages to each other?

It hasn't even been a week.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    maybe

but instead of exchanging dissertations, you should be meeting in the real world

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    maybe

but instead of exchanging dissertations, you should be meeting in the real world

Word. If you've been messaging for a week, meet up!

Corvus on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I need some opinions. This girl I've been messaging with for the last weekish (and wrote some Suess-esque stuff for because we got on the topic of how awesome he is) are getting together on Thursday.

The kicker is it's her birthday, and she's basically said it's just another day, ignore it blah blah blah. However I kind of want to go get a copy of Dr. Seuss' "Happy Birthday To You." I'm thinking I leave it in my car and feel things out before potentially giving it to her at the end of the date, but I'm looking for opinions as if it's a good idea or not.

milehigh on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been talking to this girl for over a month and yesterday we were talking about jobs. I felt she was, basically, saying that because she is getting called by employers and I am not, that she is somehow better than me. She asked if she could work on my resume, because her resume is obviously better than mine.

This made me re-evaluate our relationship and it's apparent that my feelings for her have lessened. I shared this with her last night and despite her insistence that she did not mean to sound like she was better than me, I cannot seem to shake this negative feeling.

I'm not sure if my feelings for her will return. I'm hoping they do.

If you're talking about a technical position like Engineering or whatever, it's pretty simple why this is happening.

First, the employer will look at all the students with 4.0's GPA and resumes so exceptional that it's justifiable for the resume to be more then 1 page long.

Then they'll look at all the women who applied.

Then they'll start looking at average Joe's with experience.

Lastly they'll look at average Joe without any experience.

So basically, average guys who done average in class are basically looked at and called last.

this is beyond true.

and i have a 3.6 and a 3.77 in grad school!

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Which is what?

When you get a relationship from online dating you post a picture. Probably not going to happen generally, though ;D
    Kyougu wrote: »

Most guys don't think of themselves as particularly attractive. It doesn't really matter, though, because you don't need to date yourself, and can you exactly describe what makes someone else attractive? And why two people who look very different can still be attractive to the same person?

Standards are good to a point, but there's good standards and unrealistic standards. If your standards are "must have a certain nose, a certain hairline, a certain figure and bust size, and exactly 5'4" and born within one month of me," you might be unrealistic. Same with "must play video games."

Good standards would, arguably, be guidelines that encourage both people to be open minded. Like "Doesn't hate video games" or "shorter than me or not concerned about being taller" or "is plucky and fun." The problem with those kind of standards is that you generally can't find out about them until after you're talking with someone, I would imagine.

If you're striking out, though, you might want to try messaging people that you at least find attractive, so you are still interested in meeting them potentially. Even if things don't work out, it's still good practice. Like, I just got a new job, but I'm still doing a phone interview with Amazon because why not? Good practice!

Also, if you feel unattractive, change things up. Get some friends to take you shopping for new clothes and listen to their advice. Try a new haircut. Exercise more. Little things add up to big changes. Hell, even a new cologne can work wonders.

My gf has no concept of how beautiful she is. During our first date, she thought I was smooth while I felt awkward in her presence (it's rare that I meet someone smarter than I am). How others perceive us rarely matches up to our self-perception.

It's ok to be picky but if you have standards, make sure you live up to them yourself. If you don't, then work hard to change. You'll look better, feel better, and be better. It's win all around. I'm completely against lowering your standards. Why do that when you can improve yourself?

sanstodo on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    maybe

Word. If you've been messaging for a week, meet up!

The long-messages part is still good! But I suppose they could do both.

riz on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I guess I should cast my profile into the acid bath of anonymous critique so that its tarnished coating can be dissolved away. I was hoping my friend could finish a once-over of it beforehand, but it's getting hard to get in touch with her and I want to start messaging beautiful ladies with my amazingly flawless profile already.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Quico_P

Also I know it doesn't mean much considering how much random clicking on profiles I've done, but it's still a nice ego boost to see the people who have looked at my profile (and not sent a message but whatever).

Cervetus on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Man, a week seems pretty soon. Maybe I'll ask tomorrow.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Man, a week seems pretty soon. Maybe I'll ask tomorrow.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained :P Also, why bother with all the rhetorical foreplay when five minutes of conversation will tell you so much more about your compatibility?

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Why is that soon? You know them way better than you know someone you meet and ask out in real life. You need to meet ASAP to see if you actually have chemistry. If you're new at this, guess what, there's a good chance you won't.

I tell you that not to be pessimistic, but so you don't get super sad if it doesn't work out.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Exactly. What's the point of writing essay length messages when you don't even know if you like each other yet? The whole point is to meet people, 1 week is not too soon at all.

Corvus on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm in for a big surprise. On Saturday, I'm finally meeting the girl I've been communicating with for two months.

Slider on