As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seven Soldiers of [chat]

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    The Cat wrote: »
    i don't know what to make of women who when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up" answer "a mom". a goal, to me, is something you set your life's compass to, that you work towards, that your personal failures and successes may be measured by. marriage, family, and parenthood just seem like things that happen while working on becoming the person you want to be.

so when someone says that what they want to be is something that would likely happen anyway while in pursuit of something more specific and specialized, it makes me wonder how developed they are as people.

A lot of them see quite clearly that the only alternative is clerk/waitress/checkout chick for the rest of their working lives. They aren't getting any meaning out of a career, and shaping a new person looks pretty cool in comparison. It also comes with a lot of possible side jobs - coach, cook, crafter. And rightly or wrongly, you don't have to have a piece of paper to do it, unlike almost anything else.

Having a career goal is a luxury, duder.

I'm not sure I'd call it a luxury. I'm poor as fuck from a lower middle-class background, and while being fairly bright and having a penis is advantageous, I've known smarter girls from wealthier homes who've felt this way. They're the ones I don't understand. You can come from low standing and still have grand aspirations.

It's not about the reality of the dream -- my own goals are way above my situation -- it's about having one. And setting your sights on one of life's incidentals just seems like a life unlived to me.

Parenthood is pretty romanticised. And women doing things that aren't related to parenthood are still shat all over in a myriad subtle and not so subtle ways, to be frank. People bitch a lot about women not bargaining appropriately for a decent paycheck or promotion, but women who do speak up for themselves are commonly socially censured in ways men simply are not. I tend to view people who see female attrition rates in high-level careers as a big ol' mystery with a great deal of suspicion as a result, because really, is anyone that fucking retarded?

A lot people shape their lives to avoid being censured by people who frankly don't deserve that level of deference. It is what it is, and I'm not immune. Sometimes I think it would be easier in some ways to drop out and spend my time with toddlers, because they may crap everywhere but at least they don't subtly and constantly question your right to be in the room with them and the squeaky toys.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    nooooo my interneet is fading!

remember meeeeeeee

What is there to say about Abd? He painted model trains and often posted violent diatribes against tribal diets. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, terra pax, requiem, amen.

Gim on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gim wrote: »
    the only one here who can be unracist forever is me because I am mixed

Or does that make you superracist?

dbcontemplative1.jpg

lost-charlie-pace.jpg

dominicmonaghan01.jpg

VVF02+Greatest+Hits+No+5+321+158.jpg

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    honestly i still can't stop seeing that dude as anything but a svelte hobbit

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Our path is clear, Fluffy: we must make Good Will Hunting 3: It's A Dominic, Dominic, Dominic, Dominic World and every 10 days you must post silly screen caps from it.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i don't know what to make of women who when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up" answer "a mom". a goal, to me, is something you set your life's compass to, that you work towards, that your personal failures and successes may be measured by. marriage, family, and parenthood just seem like things that happen while working on becoming the person you want to be.

so when someone says that what they want to be is something that would likely happen anyway while in pursuit of something more specific and specialized, it makes me wonder how developed they are as people.

A lot of them see quite clearly that the only alternative is clerk/waitress/checkout chick for the rest of their working lives. They aren't getting any meaning out of a career, and shaping a new person looks pretty cool in comparison. It also comes with a lot of possible side jobs - coach, cook, crafter. And rightly or wrongly, you don't have to have a piece of paper to do it, unlike almost anything else.

Having a career goal is a luxury, duder.

I'm not sure I'd call it a luxury. I'm poor as fuck from a lower middle-class background, and while being fairly bright and having a penis is advantageous, I've known smarter girls from wealthier homes who've felt this way. They're the ones I don't understand. You can come from low standing and still have grand aspirations.

It's not about the reality of the dream -- my own goals are way above my situation -- it's about having one. And setting your sights on one of life's incidentals just seems like a life unlived to me.

Parenthood is pretty romanticised. And women doing things that aren't related to parenthood are still shat all over in a myriad subtle and not so subtle ways, to be frank. People bitch a lot about women not bargaining appropriately for a decent paycheck or promotion, but women who do speak up for themselves are commonly socially censured in ways men simply are not. I tend to view people who see female attrition rates in high-level careers as a big ol' mystery with a great deal of suspicion as a result, because really, is anyone that fucking retarded?

A lot people shape their lives to avoid being censured by people who frankly don't deserve that level of deference. It is what it is, and I'm not immune. Sometimes I think it would be easier in some ways to drop out and spend my time with toddlers, because they may crap everywhere but at least they don't subtly and constantly question your right to be in the room with them and the squeaky toys.

Not until they're teenagers, at any rate.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Our path is clear, Fluffy: we must make Good Will Hunting 3: It's A Dominic, Dominic, Dominic, Dominic World and every 10 days you must post silly screen caps from it.
    applesaucebitch.jpg

21822-25242.gif

3.jpg

500px-Lost15_10.jpg

13.jpg

yeah now i want to make this a real thing

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    *unruly golf clap*

Well done, sir.

Gim on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    i don't even play DnD

but this might be my favorite community ep yet

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    that guy makes the best faces ever

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is that guy with the scarf?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't even play DnD

but this might be my favorite community ep yet

That one is quite good. Quite damn good.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Scott William Winters

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In which movie or show is he making those brilliant faces?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is that guy with the scarf?

That's a sweater, not a scarf.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Why would you do that with a sweater?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Why would you do that with a sweater?

It's supposed to be a preppy look.

As to why...I don't know. People need a practical yet casual, relaxed way to keep track of their sweaters.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I really need to watch Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good lord, was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back really released a decade ago? I remember seeing that in the theater.

Oh gosh. I feel old.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Applesauce, bitch

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good lord, was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back really released a decade ago? I remember seeing that in the theater.

Oh gosh. I feel old.

I wouldn't have been allowed in the theater, as I would have been 12.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tell me about The Beatles, Gim

Tell me about Woodstock and Sputnik, Gim

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Oh gosh. I feel old.

I wouldn't have been allowed in the theater, as I would have been 12.

I used to be young and beautiful, just like you Fluffy. I would put on my Sunday best and walk around in an open field with a girl my age. We would frolic, pick flowers, talk about our futures, our hopes. As the sun set we would hold each others hands and stare up at how the sun would play off the delicate features of the clouds. I could taste life with every breath I took.

Now I masturbate once a day and pray that I don't get in a car accident again or else I'm fucked for good.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    1) D: Oh God, my jewel is blinking like crazy

2) That movie did not age well. I kind of like the premise. If I had to re-write history, that movie would not have been made in the 70s. Instead of Minority Report, Spielberg would have made Logan's Run.

Gim on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

2) That movie did not age well. I kind of like the premise. If I had to re-write history, that movie would not have been made in the 70s. Instead of Minority Report, Spielberg would have made Logan's Run.

If I had to rewrite history I would've prevented the Holocaust

but hey

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Point taken.

Gim on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    what if preventing the holocaust had an ultimately worse effect on humanity

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Things which are distracting: having General Clarke in Supreme Commander be voiced by Major Kusanagi.

It just doesn't look right because all I see is a blonde germanic women talking like a Japanese cyborg. Which is funny, because the actual voice actress is a blonde germanic looking women.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How would one go about looking germanic, blonds all look the same to me.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TheOrange wrote: »
    How would one go about looking germanic, blonds all look the same to me.

hairist

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    sunglasses

ear or nose piercing

maybe a tattoo

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    what if preventing the holocaust had an ultimately worse effect on humanity

Wow Nerd, you're saying that gays, Jews, gypsies and the disabled being around is worse than the Holocaust?

I AM APPALLED.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    just saiyan

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One would argue that the world needed something this bad to start looking at itself, I mean, all these groups were always being discremenated against, and they didn't have the same support after the holucost than before.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit I'm pretty sure the Colonel character is played by the guy who does Batou as well.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    just rolled an archipelago map in civ4, dutch

no metals. no luxuries. Rice, fish, clam aplenty, and a solitary horse. No other lands accessible until I have ocean-going ships.

man, what

e: oh and the AIs grabbed all the religions too, even better. :(

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Happy Birthday, nexus!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

If I had to rewrite history I would've prevented the Holocaust

but hey

There's plenty of disasters orders of magnitude worse than the Holocaust to prevent.

I'd just rewrite history to make myself filthy fucking rich, and sole owner of Switzerland.

edit: Switzerland because it's centrally placed to a lot of civilised, awesome places with plenty of natural beauty with good international flight connections to the rest of the world.

Daxon on
This discussion has been closed.