As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked what I played so far.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    no worries wrote: »
    Could I also get a group invite?

I am thoroughly enjoying Brink and it seems to fun fine on my 5770 oddly enough.

What drivers are you using man?

11.4 and 11.5a aren't cutting it on my 5870. Tempted to roll way back.

Yeah, I'm probably going to roll back to my last stable set (11.3) to see how it works. My card is powerful enough (modded 6950->70) to brute force the performance I need to play it, but I'd sure like it to be actually smooth

I read on one of the forums that turning off shadows in the config really helps, I'll be trying that tonight and see how it works. At least until ATI can figure their crap out.

I seem to be running driver versions 8.85 with catalyst 11.5

I guess I never got around to updating them

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SO what are the chances of me walking into gamestop and asking if they have any extra preorder bonus codes and actually getting one?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Seems D2D UK has a sale on it again, it's down to 29 Britdollars after briefly being full price since yesterday.

Didn't you already spend your crowns or cronies or dinars or rubles on this yesterday? Did it get resolved?

I'm pretty sure Echo's local currency is ducats.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    mts wrote: »
    SO what are the chances of me walking into gamestop and asking if they have any extra preorder bonus codes and actually getting one?

I'd say 50/50

It doesn't look like I'm getting my Psycho pack, but maybe I'm sitting on $30 worth of credit? I'll take that over a scarecrow mask any day

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Add me to the Steam group please: http://steamcommunity.com/id/USAgent/

thanks!

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Giantbomb doesn't seem to care for the game, but I'm fighting real hard to not hit the buy button on Steam.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I already hate steam. It's been updating for 25 minutes and not yet 3/4s done. I haven't even been able to install my game yet, so god knows how long that will take. Ugh.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I'd say 50/50

It doesn't look like I'm getting my Psycho pack, but maybe I'm sitting on $30 worth of credit? I'll take that over a scarecrow mask any day

I really hope they don't yank my $30 worth of credit, either. I took a screenshot of the credit just in case.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is anyone else getting crashes at the start of a new map? It seems to happen when the game tries to load the little movie at the beginning of a map. I was able to join a game in progress no problem, but it crashed as soon as it switched to the next map. It isn't a typical crash, either. The game minimizes and I get what I assume is the console which tells me it couldn't decompress something.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With a birthday coming up, am I correct in assuming that my dear wife could buy this at retail and then I can register said retail copy through Steam?

And I further assume that PC is where it's at with this game?

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Giantbomb doesn't seem to care for the game, but I'm fighting real hard to not hit the buy button on Steam.

GB has two reviews up. One very positive and one very negative.

Sheep on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NeuralFizz wrote: »

I'd say 50/50

I really hope they don't yank my $30 worth of credit, either. I took a screenshot of the credit just in case.

How'd you get to see your credit? I too have gotten multiple emails and no preorder code.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    With a birthday coming up, am I correct in assuming that my dear wife could buy this at retail and then I can register said retail copy through Steam?

And I further assume that PC is where it's at with this game?

Yes to your first question as it is a Steamworks game.

Played a little last night in SP and outside of the aforementioned team AI (the medics actually throwing syringes at you was nice) I enjoyed what I played so far. Alot of stuff to look through yet with all the perks/customizations etc.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gebus shit the multiplayer is fun. I wish I could just take a week off work to play.

If I could get an invite to the steam group as well, that would be rather sexy.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    I already hate steam. It's been updating for 25 minutes and not yet 3/4s done. I haven't even been able to install my game yet, so god knows how long that will take. Ugh.
    Hahaha, you'll get it eventually, gramps.

Yeah though, unfortunately a brand-new install of Steam can come with a bunch of update fluff. I do like it as a game-organizer, though. It keeps me from accidentally losing things in a move or reinstall.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My impression so far is that I really like the gameplay

but the framework within which that gameplay is contained upsets me.

T4CT on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Most reviews I've seen complaining about the game have only played solo.

Anyone have a link to a competent multiplayer review?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

I've never been a fan of Giantbomb myself.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »

I'd say 50/50

How'd you get to see your credit? I too have gotten multiple emails and no preorder code.

Put a game in your cart and proceed to checkout. On the screen where it shows your order total, it'll show how many credits are applied.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    T4CT wrote: »

Not trying to troll or anything, really just curious as to what you mean. I think I have an idea (regarding objective balance ect)?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'd say 50/50

Put a game in your cart and proceed to checkout. On the screen where it shows your order total, it'll show how many credits are applied.

Doesn't apply anything for me. Also, the email mentions you have to spend the credit by 5/31...didn't know that. Boo.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, my boyfriend's copy got delivered already (we ordered from the same place), and here I am sitting at home waiting for fucking Fedex to come deliver it. I work in 2 hours, really hope they bring it within the next hour.

I just wanna shoot mans while doing parkour so badly.

Vee on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I watched two of my engineers ignore a bomb. Then, with three seconds left, he started defusing the bomb.

He died.

I opted to ignore his plea for a revive.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    T4CT wrote: »

I have no idea what that means.

Also! What's the deal with the Amazon preorder bonus? I got the notice of getting $10, but I don't know where I'm supposed to grab a DLC code...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Also, the bots are VERY enthused about secondary objectives. I had an engineer rebuild some stairs. He then proceeded to camp the stairs for the rest of the game. He was always alone, so this meant he'd constantly die and have to go back and rebuild those stairs.

Fucker really wanted those stairs.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Just got done with a good session. Ally bots are incompetent, but once I slowed down and took things in stride I had a better go at it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'd say 50/50

Doesn't apply anything for me. Also, the email mentions you have to spend the credit by 5/31...didn't know that. Boo.
    It's 5/31 of 2012, dude. You have a year to use it.

Secondly, you have to get all the way to the END checkout, where you select your shipping speed, confirming your credit card, all that crap. The VERY END. If you got that email then you have at least SOME credit.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »

I've never been a fan of Giantbomb myself.

The reviews Sheep is referencing are fan reviews - not reviews made by GB staff. Gerstmann is putting his review out tomorrow after the day one patch has some time to marinate.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the deal with amazon PC preorder bonus seems to be that they bait and switched. but i am giving them teh benfit of the doubt until tomorrow

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So console players (specifically, 360 dudes)

How does the game play on consoles? Any glaring issues / bugs that should be known to all? Performance?

I know the game lacks a lobby system, but does have a party system of sorts. Any info would be great to help improve the OP for all Brink players :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Most reviews I've seen complaining about the game have only played solo.

Anyone have a link to a competent multiplayer review?

Seriously?

Or did you mean to say "a review that tells me what I want to hear"

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still waiting for my "release-day delivery" from Amazon (the tracker still shows it "in transit" from the next state over), and to add insult to injury my cable modem has apparently given up the ghost. I am sitting hunched over my netbook in a Starbucks monitoring all these developments.

A lot of the complaints seem to be directed at single-player stuff, which I don't give two shits about. I am more worried about reports of bugs and performance issues (especially as an ATI card owner), but these do not seem to be universal and for all I know will have been patched by the time my home internets have been theoretically fixed tomorrow. In the pro column, what I'm hearing about interesting maps with lots of pathways and angles of attack, tactical combat, and "if you liked TF2 try this," is greatly encouraging.

I remain cautiously optimistic.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This thread exploded while I was asleep, so I'm not going to read through 10 pages to see if it's been said already (especially since I'm getting Server Too Busy errors every other click), but

If you're having the 'all graphics are a solid field of blue' issue, disable motion blur, that fixed it for me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Christ, it's fucking impossible to get a reply to post here. I have to copy+paste my replies in case they get lost in the ether.

Anyways, UPS just dropped off my Amazon 360 preorder. I'm loading to HDD now. I'll do some challenges then jump straight into MP. Will post some thoughts later, which should be interesting as I was called a debbie downer earlier in this thread.

Also, I figured maybe Amazon put a code or something with the physical shipment, even though they usually email you an XBLM code for preorder gubbins. No dice -- just two emails saying I got a $10 credit. Hell, I'll take the $10 over the preorder bs if that's the deal.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So console players (specifically, 360 dudes)

How does the game play on consoles? Any glaring issues / bugs that should be known to all? Performance?

I know the game lacks a lobby system, but does have a party system of sorts. Any info would be great to help improve the OP for all Brink players :^:

I've just got finished playing a bit on 360. Actually, let me put that as "playing". The lag in every single game I tried to play, even when most of the teams were filled with bots, was so bad it wasn't even slideshow. It was "Still image-Another Still Image 5 Seconds Later-etc." . I've seen several other people around reporting the same experience. The patch came out and was supposed to help, and sounds like it helped some people, but I am not one of them. Hoping it gets better as it's unplayable at the moment for me.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I, too, am not that worked up over the Amazon pre-order bonus shenanigans. The only pre-order bonus content that actually interested me was the Fallout stuff, but it didn't interest me enough to make me pay more to get the game from Best Buy. I'll definitely take a $10 credit over cosmetic items I don't care about.

That said, for people who really did want the Psycho pack stuff, I can understand the frustration if Amazon really has done a bait-and-switch here. They've been kinda bad about this stuff lately...remember how the $15 credit they were giving on 3DS game pre-orders abruptly changed from being good on anything to only being good on other video game purchases?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've tried to post 3 times about server stuff but the forums still run like ass. Anyway, the server is being a bitch, there's no knowledge base to work with, I must edit the CFG via FTP and despite turning off server hijacking, the server still got hijacked for campaign mode. I restarted it, it never came back up. I restarted it again and it did in about 10 minutes. I sure am having a good time. Also it seems putting a password on the server makes a lot of people time out for some reason.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seems to be up now, I connected it to it via browser. Still don't get the point of a warmup mode that doesn't let you warm up?

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sladvan wrote: »
    I've tried to post 3 times about server stuff but the forums still run like ass. Anyway, the server is being a bitch, there's no knowledge base to work with, I must edit the CFG via FTP and despite turning off server hijacking, the server still got hijacked for campaign mode. I restarted it, it never came back up. I restarted it again and it did in about 10 minutes. I sure am having a good time. Also it seems putting a password on the server makes a lot of people time out for some reason.

Talk and I are having the same issues or annoying colourful variations thereof. At one point mine wouldn't respond to anything but a reinstall +full wipe and I've read similar posts in the game servers forum. I'd blame game servers but I don't think it's limited to them, I'm pretty sure the Brink server software itself is pretty crap and needs a good patching.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
This discussion has been closed.