As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The G2 Apple ithread. Words With Friends All Up Ins

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    The average consumer doesn't replace a hard drive in their computer, they take it somewhere or get a new computer.

Which, while true, does not explain or justify extra effort to ensure they can't.

edit: that is, without an apple certified technician giving them permission.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fandeathis wrote: »
    I always have and always will hate Apple, especially as someone who builds fast computers for cheap. I hate wasting money, and Apple products are pretty clearly a waste of money versus their PC alternatives.

That being said, I got an iPhone as a gift. I don't totally hate it; it does work better than the droid phones most of my friends have. I can't stand playing in Apple's walled garden though. You have to do every damn thing on their terms with their approval for more than it should cost. And you have to use iTunes, which is the worst media program of all time. The fucking thing still doesn't support FLAC. Don't even get me started on Apple Lossless. I'm not converting my entire FLAC library to their horrible proprietary format.

I can't wait until my contract expires. I'll get myself a droid or a windows phone. I just hope those run a little better in two years. This apple prison drives me nuts. How do people put up with it?

Ugh see I'm perfectly fine with being annoyed at apple for certain things but them being a waste of money is not one of them. They are not a waste of money. The extra cash you spend is for the (substantial) overall extra effort Apple goes to making sure their products work very well not just in general but with other things.

Despite all the reports and sneering videos I'm sure you (and I) have seen, proclaiming how this and that proves how Mac computers really don't just work, they in fact for the vast majority of the time do. You buy an apple computer, not only are you getting much higher quality parts (that will therefore last longer) than a 500 dollar toshiba, but you're guaranteed to have something which will work with everything Apple says it will.

Macs and PCs are two different things. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of them. Neither one is a ripoff (unless you get an alienware) and both are worth purchase depending on your needs.

You can't say Alienware is a ripoff and then not say the mac pro line is a ripoff. Because it really is. So are the apple monitors.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always have and always will hate Apple, especially as someone who builds fast computers for cheap. I hate wasting money, and Apple products are pretty clearly a waste of money versus their PC alternatives.

That being said, I got an iPhone as a gift. I don't totally hate it; it does work better than the droid phones most of my friends have. I can't stand playing in Apple's walled garden though. You have to do every damn thing on their terms with their approval for more than it should cost. And you have to use iTunes, which is the worst media program of all time. The fucking thing still doesn't support FLAC. Don't even get me started on Apple Lossless. I'm not converting my entire FLAC library to their horrible proprietary format.

I can't wait until my contract expires. I'll get myself a droid or a windows phone. I just hope those run a little better in two years. This apple prison drives me nuts. How do people put up with it?

Ugh see I'm perfectly fine with being annoyed at apple for certain things but them being a waste of money is not one of them. They are not a waste of money. The extra cash you spend is for the (substantial) overall extra effort Apple goes to making sure their products work very well not just in general but with other things.

Despite all the reports and sneering videos I'm sure you (and I) have seen, proclaiming how this and that proves how Mac computers really don't just work, they in fact for the vast majority of the time do. You buy an apple computer, not only are you getting much higher quality parts (that will therefore last longer) than a 500 dollar toshiba, but you're guaranteed to have something which will work with everything Apple says it will.

Macs and PCs are two different things. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of them. Neither one is a ripoff (unless you get an alienware) and both are worth purchase depending on your needs.

I'm willing to accept this argument. My iPhone works very well. I do also know that you pay for good customer service. My iPhone broke withing a week of me having it (I dropped it at a club while dancing). Thankfully you couldn't tell it had broken from being dropped, so Apple replaced it free of charge at an Apple store in less than 30 minutes the next day.

I now use an Otterbox Defender case for the phone. I was a bit pissed that dropping it just once broke it, but the customer service more than made up for it. So they do get points there for sure.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    some of the anti-Mac rhetoric I see around the internet is so, so stupid

I used PCs for the first 18 years of my life (heh), considered myself a "tech guy" as a teenager and so was appropriately scornful towards Macs, and now that I have a Mac I can't imagine ever going back. That said, I don't bear any ill will towards Windows or Linux users, and I'm not really sure where that emotion comes from

even getting on people's cases for not knowing or caring what FLAC is seems pretty silly, tbh

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Which makes you about as far from their target consumer as possible.

I like my iDevices because they straight up just work. No rooting, or hacks, or fiddlinging. It just works, the same way, every time.

Do I still use my PC? Absolutely. Do I still fiddle around with Linux? Sure. Would I turn down an Android device? No. But I've been very content with my iDevices. Would have been fine keeping my iPad 1 for another could years, but the opportunity to upgrade for less than the price of any other decent tablet sold me on the iPad 2.

Theres also the lock-in process, with the money I've spent on iOS apps, they've got their hooks in me, so I won't be jumping to another platform any time soon. It's actually a brilliant strategy on their part.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i don't even care much about media programs or whatever but if you think that itunes is worse than windows media then that is just crazy

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That lock-in process scares the crap out of me. I've bought as little apps as possible because of it haha. You are right about it being a great business strategy though. As is how badly they treat their workers in China. Both bring up some ethical questions to be sure.

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't own apple products because I am poor. That's...about the end of that.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    i don't even care much about media programs or whatever but if you think that itunes is worse than windows media then that is just crazy

I wasn't even thinking about Windows Media. It's so bad that I think I erased it from my brain.

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh yeah. The Zune can't play the .wma file type.

How fucked up is that.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That lock-in process scares the crap out of me. I've bought as little apps as possible because of it haha. You are right about it being a great business strategy though. As is how badly they treat their workers in China. Both bring up some ethical questions to be sure.

They don't have workers in China. Foxconn, one if their partners does. And they have taken strides to improve the lives of those workers, especially after that string of suicides.

The good thing about that same lock in proccess? Oh hey, I bought a new device and guess what? All of my applications still work on it, I didn't have to re-buy them, I just resync my new device and they're all on there.

Things I'd like to see for iOS

Wireless syncing
    Better notification system. I really liked webOS notification system, would love to see something similar.
    Better oversight with the app store. Less arbitrary or downright contradictory approvals into the app store.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    itunes is pretty fucking shitty on PC

the newer versions of windows media player are actually pretty good

but nothing really beats just having a well organized file system and VLC/MPC

I also vastly prefer having a proper file system on my phone/mp3 player device for media

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like itunes on pc. But then I have a really beefy computer so it never really has any problems with it.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Artreus wrote: »

You can't say Alienware is a ripoff and then not say the mac pro line is a ripoff. Because it really is. So are the apple monitors.

I believe Apple monitors are pre-calibrated, but I would still actually tend to agree with you about them. Macbook pros? No. Alienwares are overpriced computers with a bunch of frill stuffed in. And since they're dell now, you still have no guarantee on the part quality. You'll actually tend to get what you pay for with a macbook.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I didn't say macbook pros. I said mac pros.

Artreus on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I hate to defend overseas slave wages as a means to furnish hipsters with new phones...

but the conditions that drive people to jump off a building probably have less to do with Apple, and more to do with a government that permits their employees to paid next to nothing and work insane hours and stuff

blaming apple is just a way to move the story to the front page of the newspaper, and nothing more.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Personally I just want a list of the best/coolest apps I should get. I have a couple, like appbox and the wow armory app, and urban spoon. But I crave more.

Is there an app for finding apps?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

They don't have workers in China. Foxconn, one if their partners does. And they have taken strides to improve the lives of those workers, especially after that string of suicides.

You're right, I was referring to Foxconn. A couple issues ago The Economist ran an article in which the Chinese government accused Apple (through Foxconn) of treating its workers worse than any other US company operating in China. I'll see if I can find the article online. It was in the print edition, but they do put a lot of those articles online after a couple weeks.

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

making them sign a "don't commit suicide" contract doesn't really count :P

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382396/Workers-Chinese-Apple-factories-forced-sign-pledges-commit-suicide.html

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    I didn't say macbook pros. I said mac pros.

Ah, you're right. I don't really know much about the quality of mac pros since I rarely see them. Back in college we had a lab full of the newly released g5s though and they crashed all the damn time but that was years ago.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Personally I just want a list of the best/coolest apps I should get. I have a couple, like appbox and the wow armory app, and urban spoon. But I crave more.

Is there an app for finding apps?

Theres a few, actually.

Or you could just ask me 8-)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They are really, really fucking expensive.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've thought about getting an iphone, but I'll more likely end up getting an andriod phone. You always get a cool form factor with an iphone but the android gui appeals to me much more than the iphone's.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I still don't know if I will go with an iphone or an android phone at the end of the year.

It really depends on what is out.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Which android gui

Because they are legion, depending on the hardware, manufacturer, and carrier.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The galaxy sII looks really sexy, if they ever decide to send it here to the states.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Which android gui

Because they are legion, depending on the hardware, manufacturer, and carrier.

There are tons of little differences but if you get an android touchscreen phone the interface is generally going to look and work like another android phone. At least, all the ones at work do.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Really, the best thing Apple has ever made was OSX.

I am not at all a fan of the iDevices in any form, the ability to tinker with the guts of my devices and machines is pretty important to me. That Apple seems to be pushing increasingly for iOS on its new products rather than OSX is kinda killing future Apple products for me.

Their hardware I'm largely indifferent about - the Macbook lines make the most sense and are of pretty decent quality (although I'm not a fan of the built-in batteries that are a part of the new unibody designs). The iMac is a waste of my time, and the Mac Pro is just too overpriced. If they made a sensible, modular Mac Pro-like system for under a $1000 or so I'd consider it.

Brolo on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smart Hero, what is best in apps?

Cilla: I'm with you. My G1 google phone is falling apart but I do love android os on my phone.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i hardly even use my pc since i got a macbook pro last year

i should probably reformat that sucker

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I kind of want a mac mini. But I won't be getting one until I have a lot of spare money. So that will be a while.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd like more of a chance to really mess around with and learn osx outside work and the mac mini is the cheapest legal option, but it's still too costly for what isn't a necessity.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never really had a problem with iTunes

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to be able to modify (check/uncheck, remove, that sort of thing) songs in a smart playlist but aside from that have no major complaints with itunes.

edit: that is to say, check a selection by clicking on the check button rather than having to right click and choose "check selection."

edit: actually it just turns out that itunes should be reset more often than once a week and mine was just mesed up. but the remove option still stands, dangit.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Smart Hero, what is best in apps?

Cilla: I'm with you. My G1 google phone is falling apart but I do love android os on my phone.

What do you want to do with it

Games
    -Battleheart
    -words w friends (don't play w sheri)
    -the incident
    -tiny wings
    -sword and sworcery
    -astronut

Productivity
    -Dropbox, sugar sync, cloud2go, etc
    -goodreader
    -Simplenote
    -beejiveIM
    -dragon dictation

Enteraintment
    -remote
    -air video
    -Zumocast
    -pandora

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The only way to win, is not to play

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have an iPod somewhere.

The battery barely lasts 6 hours so I never use it.

That's the extent of my ownership of apple products.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    how good at words with friends is sheri

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure she is a witch.

Artreus on