As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Glad I'm not the only one then.
    Also, I'll pick up those trades sometime this week. Give me something to read. I was already planning on making a trip to my local comic shop anyway.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In case you missed it in the Fox animation thread:
    Yabba dabba do, Seth MacFarlane will finally achieve his dream! The mastermind behind Family Guy will reboot the classic animated series The Flintstones for Fox.

Fox execs made the announcement at the network’s presentation today in New York. The show will go in production this fall for a 2013 launch. “One of the first things I ever drew was Fred Flintstone,” MacFarlane told advertisers. As for his re-imagination, he said the show has to keep up with the times but some things will remain familiar for old fans. “The characters will look the same but the only thing that will change is the stories,” he said. “What’s the [prehistoric] version of an Ipod?”

Dan Palladino (Gilmore Girls) and Kara Vallow (Family Guy) will also serve as exec producers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/16/fox-developing-reboot-of-the-flintstones/

Kill me now.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    wow, just yesterday I was asking myself how people managed to enjoy the Flintstones. Did it really air in primetime on a network? For like 6 or 7 seasons right? It seemed so hard to believe. Not that its awful or anything, it just never appealed to me.

hmm I'm pretty interested in seeing this! I think it has potential

But where the hell are they gonna put it? Sunday is full up.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well the Flinstones is a fucking old cartoon, so maybe the appeal it used to have was lost in the 50-some years since it started?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wonder how many rock-in-cooter jokes they'll come up with?

Can't believe this is actually happening....

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Flintstones was just the Honeymooners with retarded dinosaurs as appliances jokes. I'm sure Seth can rip off some much better family sitcoms in the same vein.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If early seasons of Family Guy were any indication, Seth works way better under the constraints of censorship and a mainstream show format. Getting him to spice up a bland show he used to love could be exactly the right thing for him. And the Flintstones property has to stay family friendly and grounded in its own "reality", so no cutaway overload, no offensive jokes pushing good taste, no Fred grabbing his knee for 5 minutes in pain until the length of the joke becomes the joke.

And let's not forget, the show would keep its old crappy Hanna Barbara style but with modern animation, so we Seth wouldn't be designing the characters or making them flash from pose to pose with his... economical but jerky trademark style. I'm interested.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He's already done flintstones stuff in Family Guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVaue9tEd0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsOwEhJGYX8&NR=1

so I imagine it'd be like those.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think Hanna-Barbera would explode if the new show turned into a series of deliberately lazy rock/sex puns.

Ok, that might be a net win, actually.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think Hanna-Barbera would explode if the new show turned into a series of deliberately lazy rock/sex puns.

Ok, that might be a net win, actually.

Doubt that they would explode, seeing as they're both gone. Probably could power the Eastern Seaboard with the rotation of their corpses, though.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think I'd rather watch The Flintstones Kids.

Unga Bunga is more intellectually stimulating than Erocktions.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I think I'd rather watch The Flintstones Kids.

Unga Bunga is more intellectually stimulating than Erocktions.

I'm just remembering that "On The Rocks" short done a few years back...that's what we're looking at, folks.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If early seasons of Family Guy were any indication, Seth works way better under the constraints of censorship and a mainstream show format. Getting him to spice up a bland show he used to love could be exactly the right thing for him. And the Flintstones property has to stay family friendly and grounded in its own "reality", so no cutaway overload, no offensive jokes pushing good taste, no Fred grabbing his knee for 5 minutes in pain until the length of the joke becomes the joke.

And let's not forget, the show would keep its old crappy Hanna Barbara style but with modern animation, so we Seth wouldn't be designing the characters or making them flash from pose to pose with his... economical but jerky trademark style. I'm interested.

I doubt, REALLY Doubt this will all happen. The dude's lost in the style nonsense. And the fact Corporate gave him the book (show running duties) instead of many others i know that run circles around him NOW and they gave the show to Fox (possible Adult Swim deal notwithstanding) means that he has to put some (not all) of the padlum on the new series. And what makes it worse is that we here are scared shitless because even though my bosses worked so hard on a series that many wanted back - a series that passed it's time is coming back because HE used to work for H-B in its dying days and its a dream series? IT TOOK 10 YEARS to do a new series of the T'Cats and Seth gets his DREAM series in less than 10 hours? UGH.

Like i said, T'cats series will make ten times more money than the Flints ever will, Corporate was TOLD this last heard but this was from Seth himself and he made all the deals work for the Flints. Its starting to get Ugly with Loony Toons starting slow and now Fox being our "friends" all of a sudden.

Novid on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I missed the second episode of the Looney Tunes Show, but I saw the most recent one last night. I enjoyed it much more than I did the first episode, primarily due to Lola's craziness.

However, I almost feel like they made her too bizarre. She was, like, completely bananas.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The good news: Robert Zemeckis seems to have sworn off needlessly making movies about horrible dead-eyed zombies.

The bad news: Stephen Spielberg and Peter Jackson have decided to fill the void.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Xwta_XIJo&feature=player_embedded

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it looks pretty good imo

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I missed the second episode of the Looney Tunes Show, but I saw the most recent one last night. I enjoyed it much more than I did the first episode, primarily due to Lola's craziness.

However, I almost feel like they made her too bizarre. She was, like, completely bananas.

Lola works as a Kim Kardasian type than the Sarah Silverman type they were aiming for. They modeled Marisol better. Way better.

Novid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I'll take any version of Lola that isn't blatant furry fuel. Thank God I didn't see Space Jam in theaters. Hearing just one guy hoot over Lola while she adjusts her flimsy straps would be a memory I could never repress.

It would have even been worse than the fat guy with the Wolverine shirt who kept whistling over Haley Barry in Die Another Die.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I, for one, would be looking forward to Adventures of Tintin. Kinda wary of the teaser not showing any talky parts but I'm optimistic that it'd at least look better than Polar Express.

I mean, its about time there is realistic enough, motion captured movies. Especially with Avatar, LotR and, more recently, LA Noire showcasing the tech.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm worried that the people will look weird, filling some awkward niche between realistic and cartoony. Not sure the balance is right.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Novid wrote: »

I doubt, REALLY Doubt this will all happen. The dude's lost in the style nonsense. And the fact Corporate gave him the book (show running duties) instead of many others i know that run circles around him NOW and they gave the show to Fox (possible Adult Swim deal notwithstanding) means that he has to put some (not all) of the padlum on the new series. And what makes it worse is that we here are scared shitless because even though my bosses worked so hard on a series that many wanted back - a series that passed it's time is coming back because HE used to work for H-B in its dying days and its a dream series? IT TOOK 10 YEARS to do a new series of the T'Cats and Seth gets his DREAM series in less than 10 hours? UGH.

Like i said, T'cats series will make ten times more money than the Flints ever will, Corporate was TOLD this last heard but this was from Seth himself and he made all the deals work for the Flints. Its starting to get Ugly with Loony Toons starting slow and now Fox being our "friends" all of a sudden.

It happened that quickly? Wow...

And I thought I heard something about there being some sort of legal battle or something that he eventually won to be able to do the show? If that's true, what's that all about?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm worried that the people will look weird, filling some awkward niche between realistic and cartoony. Not sure the balance is right.

Yeah...the problem with mocap is that if you aren't careful, you wind up in the Uncanny Valley.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yeah...the problem with mocap is that if you aren't careful, you wind up in the Uncanny Valley.

also actors tend to over act when in a suit on and end up with completely ridiculous animation.

Using an animation reference works far better to get realistic performances.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Who remembers this?

I ask because according to the Official Facebook page for it (apparently) there's going to be a second series.

I am surprised and intrigued.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I like how people bemoan the existence of anime now when in truth almost half the shows in the 80's were actually dubbed anime.

First cartoon I ever watched was Unico on the Disney Channel.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I like how people bemoan the existence of anime now when in truth almost half the shows in the 80's were actually dubbed anime.

Half? Nah. Sure, we had Unico, Voltron and a few others, but the vast majority of stuff shown in the 80s were done by American animation houses. The big flood of anime stuff (on regular broadcast TV, at any rate) didn't really start until the late 90s.

Then again, aside from most of Toonzai (the former CW kids/the former Kids WB, now very appropriately named), there's now very little anime shown on "regular" kids TV.

Checking the info on that was REALLY depressing, apparently I missed the fact that Fox no longer shows Saturday morning stuff? And the state of what little that's left is very depressing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_morning_cartoon

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Half? Nah. Sure, we had Unico, Voltron and a few others, but the vast majority of stuff shown in the 80s were done by American animation houses. The big flood of anime stuff (on regular broadcast TV, at any rate) didn't really start until the late 90s.

Then again, aside from most of Toonzai (the former CW kids/the former Kids WB, now very appropriately named), there's now very little anime shown on "regular" kids TV.

Checking the info on that was REALLY depressing, apparently I missed the fact that Fox no longer shows Saturday morning stuff? And the state of what little that's left is very depressing:

You'd be surprised. A lot of stuff on TV back then was stealthy translations, as you can tell from this article on 1981 in anime. Of course, this was much more prominent in the late 60's, when both Astro Boy and Speed Racer were on. We should probably leave off this tangent, though, at least until I can verify whether the prevalence of stealth Japanese animation in western animation is kosher.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

You'd be surprised. A lot of stuff on TV back then was stealthy translations, as you can tell from this article on 1981 in anime. Of course, this was much more prominent in the late 60's, when both Astro Boy and Speed Racer were on. We should probably leave off this tangent, though, at least until I can verify whether the prevalence of stealth Japanese animation in western animation is kosher.

I certainly agree that there was a lot more stealth anime in the 60s than the 80s. And that this is potentially dangerous ground, especially if the subject doesn't doesn't stay tightly onto stealth anime on kids TV of yore.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »

I certainly agree that there was a lot more stealth anime in the 60s than the 80s. And that this is potentially dangerous ground, especially if the subject doesn't doesn't stay tightly onto stealth anime on kids TV of yore.

I've sent my post to Jeffe for an opinion. He'll probably say to stop to be on the safe side, but he may give some specific ground rules.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I finally got to see the zombie episode of Regular Show and I think it may be my favorite episode so far, it was nice to see Mordecai and Rigby 'win', sort of. How the events around the moviegoers mirrored what played against the projection screen was real nifty too. They did end up showing more violence that you would normally expect but it was a zombie episode, it wouldn't have made sense without it!

And does anyone else get the sense that Regular Show takes place in a really nice town? It always looks so clean and they can all seem to walk or take their golf cart everywhere.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I figure at least one person in the thread would want to see the Thundercats teaser trailer:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=757470585737&oid=108757059193747&comments

Potentially intriguing, though the choir-riffic music makes me worry they'll take things too seriously.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Too many effects in that teaser.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So Pixar announced their next movie: Monsters University. Yes, it's a prequel to Monsters Inc., detailing how Mike and Sulley met. Billy Crystal and John Goodman are back. Thing's out 2013.

....eh. I mean, I really dig Pixar and I don't necessarily mind sequels (Toy Story 3 was aces), but I'm just not feeling this one.

Also, Angry Beavers and Hey Arnold are finally coming to DVD in August.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, stupid Hey Arnold and it's cliff hanger.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is Monsters University Monsters Inc 2 or 3

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's Monsters Inc. 2, basically

also Pixar does seem to be finally succumbing to the sequel disease, which is troubling, but they do have Brave on the schedule too, which sounds pretty exciting to me

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm guessing that in exchange for naming Lasseter the head of Disney's animation department, the Disney execs convinced him of the wisdom in considering sequels. And by "wisdom," I mean "massive piles of money."

But yeah, as long as we get stuff like Brave I'm happy.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm guessing that in exchange for naming Lasseter the head of Disney's animation department, the Disney execs convinced him of the wisdom in considering sequels. And by "wisdom," I mean "massive piles of money."

But yeah, as long as we get stuff like Brave I'm happy.

Everything I read about Brave makes me more and more enthusiastic:
    Brave is set in the mystical Scottish Highlands, where Mérida is the princess of a kingdom ruled by King Fergus and Queen Elinor. An unruly daughter and an accomplished archer, Mérida one day defies a sacred custom of the land and inadvertently brings turmoil to the kingdom. In an attempt to set things right, Mérida seeks out an eccentric old Wise Woman and is granted an ill-fated wish. Also figuring into Mérida’s quest — and serving as comic relief — are the kingdom’s three lords: the enormous Lord MacGuffin, the surly Lord Macintosh, and the disagreeable Lord Dingwall.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Novid wrote: »

It happened that quickly? Wow...

And I thought I heard something about there being some sort of legal battle or something that he eventually won to be able to do the show? If that's true, what's that all about?

As far as I know, any legal dealings wern't known. As far as I know Fox and Seth showed the money and Warners agreed with major concessions.

Novid on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Man, stupid Hey Arnold and it's cliff hanger.

Cliffhanger?

Hexmage-PA on
This discussion has been closed.