Options

The New Comic Thread for Wednesday, May 25, 2011

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pres butan

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i wish i could play the witcher

i really like the whole grungy low-fantasy thing it has going but the combat was just so awful i played through the opening castle area and then stopped because i couldn't stand it any longer

is the second one any better

Scientifically speaking, it is buttloads better

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    maybe BlackDove made the Witcher 2?

Langly on
  • Options
    MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you don't have at least 83 key binds, you're fucking casual pubby scum.

Mathilda on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    i wish i could play the witcher

i really like the whole grungy low-fantasy thing it has going but the combat was just so awful i played through the opening castle area and then stopped because i couldn't stand it any longer

is the second one any better

Scientifically speaking, it is buttloads better
    that sounds like a big improvement!!

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The start is the hardest part

Keep that in mind if you die horribly and know that it gets easier <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Witcher 2's tutorial can be summed up thusly;

HOLD CTRL, SELECT "QUEN", PRESS Q, WIN GAME

If you're still dying when you have a shield that makes you invincible then you might be terrible at this game.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I keep meaning to get the first Witcher ...

and add it to the stack of games I haven't gotten around to playing yet.

kingworks on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You don't even need to do anything special to make it through the prologue if you've got the game set to easy. You can just mindlessly sword things to your heart's content (though it does help to roll at least a little bit). Don't need Quen or anything. I don't know if it insults some people's manhoods to play on easy or something, but everyone whining about how inaccessible the game is apparently didn't try lowering the difficulty.

I died exactly once during the prologue on easy, at the hardest part. Went, "Oh, I guess I should maybe try using some signs here," got through the segment with minimal trouble, and had no other problems. And I am no action gaming genius. If I can do it, anybody can.

I predict, however, that not only will the Prologue be toned down for any possible console versions, it'll be toned down for the PC version in an upcoming patch. CDP has a history of addressing major complaints and criticisms via free patching.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Guysmiley777Guysmiley777 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    No, it's called Orbiter.

I think it took me a couple of tries to even get it to launch in the mode I wanted, let alone work out how to take off.

DCS's A-10C is somewhat complex as well. A-10C Startup Tutorial

That's part 1 of 2 on "how to start the aircraft".

Guysmiley777 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No, it's called Orbiter.

I think it took me a couple of tries to even get it to launch in the mode I wanted, let alone work out how to take off.

oh you got to the tutorial, jesus dude

I still haven't figured out how to make the game start without crashing

Brolo on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey, it's me with secret of Mana

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No, it's called Orbiter.

This appeals to me a lot.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Squall wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    In my opinion, this is really the way things should be done, as opposed to wasting my fucking time with concepts I already know, alá Portal 2. And I'm going to preface this by saying that I thought Portal 2 was a great game. However, about a third of that game is repetition of concepts already familiar to anyone who has played Portal 1, and thus, wasted development for any player that had bought and played the first game.

Do you mean the first chapter of the game (one-ninth of the game) where it not only introduces the concept of the gameplay to new players, but also refamiliarizes old players while simultaneously letting them revisit bits of the first game in a novel way?

Seems like good game design to me, but then again I'm probably not as pro as you

No he has a point. Even more so when you look at the Half-Life episodes.

Both of which had tutorials for things like jumping and crouching and shooting guns and switching guns etc.

Why they dropped something like the Hazard Course from HL1 escapes me. An in-universe but non canonical environment specifically designed to teach you efficiently and quickly the mechanics. Instead of integrating that shit into the main game in increasingly desperate ways (having to smack open the wrecked train doors in Ep2, using the wrench to smash the rubble in Bioshock for example), why not just detach that and have it separate?

Portal 2 mitigates the tedium of a tutorial by making it a callback to the first game. But even then for someone experienced with the mechanics, the early levels have to work doubly hard to please, because while the dialogue is funny and the environments sumptuous, the fact that I'm still being told how to use portals is taking away a lot from the fun.

The Witcher 2 was so refreshing and is absolutely the way I want things to be. Anyone who found it hard at the start got good at the game much quicker than they would have done if everything had been drip fed the mechanics one by one. Not to mention the fact that it's not hard, it's just that most games in the same space of late have been very very easy making this look difficult by comparison.

I've seen people complaining that they died once or twice in the very first fight. As though they've never had the soul crushing experience of dying permanently to that wolf in the first ten minutes of Baldur's Gate. Or the agonizing pain of vintage platformers with their pixel perfect jumps.

I mean, I hate to use this phrase, but back in 'the day', games weren't just hard, they actively tried to ruin your experience. Sure they had nice stories and pleasing environments, but the designers purposely designed these games to make it impossible for you to see them, covering up a lack of content by artificially extending gameplay through difficulty. Now a game comes along that merely plays fair and the whole internet erupts in a seething cloud of annoyance. The Witcher 2 isn't hard. It's just not easy. It balances difficulty with content, meaning neither is artificially elongated. It is the perfect balance.

Plus, The Witcher 2 has quicksave. There's no goddamn excuse for this much whining.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Why they dropped something like the Hazard Course from HL1 escapes me. An in-universe but non canonical environment specifically designed to teach you efficiently and quickly the mechanics. Instead of integrating that shit into the main game in increasingly desperate ways (having to smack open the wrecked train doors in Ep2, using the wrench to smash the rubble in Bioshock for example), why not just detach that and have it separate?

Because in the cases of those games familiarization of mechanics was part of the initial storyline which has become a very common tutorial method.

Also, after looking at the vid that BlackDove posted this game's AI looks like total shit. Am I being misled?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Aside from instances where the AI is supposed to be dumb, for example mindless ravaging monsters, which I think is excusable, yeah, the Witcher's AI is not good. They basically just swarm you, stunlocking you to death.

A lot like Assassin's Creed 1 in a way. Sometimes curiously standing there doing nothing while you murder everyone one by one.

I think the fun in the combat comes not so much from the smart enemies, but from the tools at your disposal to deal with them. That said, I've not played an RPG that didn't have finicky combat so I'm willing to let a lot slide. It actually gets a little better on hard because you absolutely have to start utilizing potions and the signs to win. Similar to how in Dragon Age Origins you could meatgrind your way to victory on normal, but on nightmare the combat became much more exciting because it was more a strategy game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A lot like Assassin's Creed 1 in a way. Sometimes curiously standing there doing nothing while you murder everyone one by one.

This is something that I don't really tolerate in games anymore so I should probably stay away from this. I understand that there's variability in enemy level and should be variability in enemy skill but if there's multiple enemies on screen in what world does it not make sense for them to at minimum gang up on a single player?

Both Dragon Age games applied that for the most part.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Butters wrote: »

This is something that I don't really tolerate in games anymore so I should probably stay away from this. I understand that there's variability in enemy level and should be variability in enemy skill but if there's multiple enemies on screen in what world does it not make sense for them to at minimum gang up on a single player?

Both Dragon Age games applied that for the most part.

For some reason, the AI doesn't always seem to "engage" when it should, so sometimes enemies will gang up on you from all sides and it's quite challenging, but other times they'll just stand there like statues while you fight their friends.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't buy DAII but I didn't really notice that in DA:O aside from enemies being far enough away that they were (in theory) unaware of you or that they're comrades were being attacked. If they were close enough to be aware of you, they didn't just stand around. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Though there are types of enemies. Some with spears, shields, full plate armour that are easier to stagger but have a ton of health etc. Others are very nimble and dodge attacks.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Squall wrote: »
    In my opinion, this is really the way things should be done, as opposed to wasting my fucking time with concepts I already know, alá Portal 2. And I'm going to preface this by saying that I thought Portal 2 was a great game. However, about a third of that game is repetition of concepts already familiar to anyone who has played Portal 1, and thus, wasted development for any player that had bought and played the first game.

Do you mean the first chapter of the game (one-ninth of the game) where it not only introduces the concept of the gameplay to new players, but also refamiliarizes old players while simultaneously letting them revisit bits of the first game in a novel way?

Seems like good game design to me, but then again I'm probably not as pro as you

No he has a point. Even more so when you look at the Half-Life episodes.

Both of which had tutorials for things like jumping and crouching and shooting guns and switching guns etc.

Portal 2 mitigates the tedium of a tutorial by making it a callback to the first game. But even then for someone experienced with the mechanics, the early levels have to work doubly hard to please, because while the dialogue is funny and the environments sumptuous, the fact that I'm still being told how to use portals is taking away a lot from the fun.

I think we may have to agree to disagree; I enjoy that gradual ramping up of gameplay, even with systems I'm already familiar with (in most cases it's been years since I played the previous game). In the case of Portal 2, I found myself completely oblivious to the fact I was being taught how portals work again due to being too transfixed by the atmosphere.

Perhaps I am easy to please

Squall on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No you have a solid point. Portal is sorta the exception that proves the rule. It had the ability to make the tutorial part of the game world, in the same way the puzzles are overtly referred to in character as tests, as though no fourth wall exists at all.

They literally talk about how test subjects (ie you) need to be introduced to the portals.

You can't do that in the Witcher, because they already pulled the amnesia trick once, having Geralt have some dude say 'here's how you stab trolls' would break character. He's an immortal, unstoppable monster slayer for hire. Teaching him (ie you) how to kill would be tricky.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    they could have had a little box come up that says "hey do you want to be shown how to play the game before you jump into shit?"

which I think is a better solution than making you dig through the in-game codex to try and figure out how to do things or trying to fit a tutorial into the main game (especially if your character is assumed to be a bad ass)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can relate to this comic. When I started playing the game and Roche was questioning me, I chose the dragon topic without knowing it would throw me into the game. Within 5 seconds of the checkpoint it puts you in, the flames start hurting you. I died countless times without even knowing what to do. It didn't help that, for some reason, you take fire damage wherever you are.

The controls can be somewhat unresponsive, too. Especially blocking (and yes, I know it costs vigor).

Pandabearcakes on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I always like those games that asked you if you needed the bloody tutorial before you started the game.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Someone mentioned this earlier, but having a separate, optional 'Tutorial Room' that takes place outside the game continuity could have easily mitigated this.

It would quickly walk you through combat basics, quick time events, using your signs, crafting items and drinking potions, and then once it was done you'd start the actual game.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I didn't buy DAII but I didn't really notice that in DA:O aside from enemies being far enough away that they were (in theory) unaware of you or that they're comrades were being attacked. If they were close enough to be aware of you, they didn't just stand around. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

What I meant was that DA applied "at minimum gang up on a single player" AI tendencies.

DAII's AI is actually pretty good. It surrounds low health casters often, uses stun abilities and not overly cheaply, and ranged enemies work to stay out of harms way. Enough of DAII makes me wish I waited for a discount but for all its faults the combat is very solid. That vid of the Witcher however didn't inspire confidence and it seems the first one was even worse.

Too bad I was starting to get interested.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Someone mentioned this earlier, but having a separate, optional 'Tutorial Room' that takes place outside the game continuity could have easily mitigated this.

It would quickly walk you through combat basics, quick time events, using your signs, crafting items and drinking potions, and then once it was done you'd start the actual game.

One thing that didn't meet its potential in Bayonetta is the practice screen during transitions. I would have really preferred (maybe it's different on versions other than 360) to be able to stay on that screen to practice moves as long as I want before transitioning to the next area. Yeah, I get that you can do that in The Gates of Hell to try out techniques you can purchase, but I should be able to practice moves without having to look for a portal.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The combat is dangerous and fun and if you don't pay attention it can be punishing at the start. I really liked it once I got the hang of it.

But really, this game is about dialogue, characters environments and quests. If you dismiss it because of combat alone you're missing an extremely good game.

To me, this is so far the best game released this year (by far)

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

One thing that didn't meet its potential in Bayonetta is the practice screen during transitions. I would have really preferred (maybe it's different on versions other than 360) to be able to stay on that screen to practice moves as long as I want before transitioning to the next area. Yeah, I get that you can do that in The Gates of Hell to try out techniques you can purchase, but I should be able to practice moves without having to look for a portal.

Pretty sure you can stay on that screen by pressing the Back Button.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wyborn wrote: »

Pretty sure you can stay on that screen by pressing the Back Button.

Shit, I'll have to try that.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Neli wrote: »
    The combat is dangerous and fun and if you don't pay attention it can be punishing at the start. I really liked it once I got the hang of it.

But really, this game is about dialogue, characters environments and quests. If you dismiss it because of combat alone you're missing an extremely good game.

If I'm spending a majority of a game in shitty, frustrating combat I'm not going to care how good the dialogue or characters are and aren't the quests going to be primarily combat oriented?

Butters on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Butters wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »

If I'm spending a majority of a game in shitty, frustrating combat I'm not going to care how good the dialogue or characters are and aren't the quests going to be primarily combat oriented?

Now I haven't played, but my understanding of the situation is that the majority of the time spent with the game is after one could find the combat frustrating.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maybe the footage I'm seeing doesn't do it justice but Scarab and Rolo more or less confirmed my shitty AI accusation which doesn't bode well for me.

Butters on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We've been having long discussions about this in the Witcher threads.

The game is actually piss easy from beginning to end, it's just that you as the player need to figure shit out yourself as opposed to being led by the hand to the glorious serenity that is knowing how to click the left and the right mouse button in conjunction with the space bar. I guess holding the control key and selecting a magic power is the advanced course for the ubermench intellectuals of the high order of.... seriously.

[...]

what
    that is bullshit
    game mechanics are not "common sense"
    there's nothing at all wrong with telling your player how your game works in a fun way
    much like "security through obscurity" is bullshit, difficulty through obscurity is also bullshit.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Saint_DipsetSaint_Dipset Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this one just seems as if it's breaching some unspoken contract which stipulates that the player can not and should not do anything outside of what they're being told.

How like life...

sips macchiato

Saint_Dipset on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Personally, I cleared the prologue by hitting and running from everything. Agni, run, recharge, repeat.

I'm sure I was doing it wrong, but hey.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What occured to me fairly suddenly during a Dragon Age 2 playthrough (which also throws people into the deep-end, albeit to what sounds like a much lesser extent) is how often I just play a game despite the lack of any kind of guidance

Team Fortress 2? Shipped with no manual and no tutorial, you just picked a class and hoped for the best

And when I think about it... damn, that's not a very friendly practise from the point of view of people new to the genre

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to love scouring through manuals before installing games on my computer. And, as is the stereotype, my friends with consoles would just stick new games in and start playing, and I'd be all "hey, what about the manual?" But they wouldn't care and just planned on learning the game as they went, while I sat down and flipped through the thing, learning how to do stuff that they didn't encounter ingame.

Now I tend to just throw the game in, too. Part of it is changing tastes on my part, but the manuals have changed too. More technical, less flavor text and fluff to make it interesting, fewer pictures. One of those things that's fallen on the wayside, as most people didn't care much about it.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure the MK manual for the 360 was just a catalog of game-related swag.

LTM on