As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Rights] Gays Ran The Holocaust. No, really.

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
HEADS UP: Keep it about gay rights or the thread gets closed. For reelz, yo.
So, Gay Marriage Ban is up for vote in Minnesota in 2012.

BUT:

Mark Dayton Vetoes Minnesota Gay Marriage Ban Amendment
In a symbolic move, Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton vetoed an amendment that seeks to ban gay marriage in the state.

The Democrat, who earlier pledged to fight the effort with “every fiber of my being,” was joined by two openly gay lawmakers – Representative Karen Clark and Senator Scott Dibble – at a Wednesday news conference at the Statehouse.

On Saturday, the Minnesota House approved the amendment that seeks to define marriage as a heterosexual union and sent it to voters for their approval. The question will appear on next year's ballot.

While acknowledging that his veto won't stop the question from appearing on the ballot, Dayton said he wanted to “speak out strongly against” the amendment.

Minnesotans should “reject this mean-spirited, divisive, un-Minnesotan and un-American amendment,” Dayton said.

“The civil or legal realm of marriage is the province of government and it must conform to the protections and guarantees afforded every American citizen under our Constitution.”

“All American citizens are entitled to equal rights and protections under the law. That would clearly include the right of a citizen to marry legally the person he or she loves.”

“The path of social progress in this country has been to include everyone fully and equally. This path of social progress, of human compassion and understanding, would be tragically reversed by this amendment. Minnesota is better than this. Minnesotans are better than this. I urge Minnesotans to reject this amendment," Dayton added.

Dibble said the proposed legislation “sends a signal to young people who've been so disheartened by the actions of our legislature, who've been sent such a negative message, a message of being marginalized, a message that our constitution is not for them.”

“Our governor is saying, 'That's not the case,'” he added.

“We are going to love this thing to death,” Clark told reporters.

EXCEPT

Group Asking For 'Respectful Debate' On Gay Marriage Calls Gay People Pedophiles
The Christian conservative group Minnesota Family Council, which asked for a “respectful debate” on a public vote to amend the state constitution to ban gay marriage, believes gay people are likely pedophiles and “abnormal.”

Minnesota lawmakers on Saturday agreed to put the amendment on next year's ballot.

If approved by voters in 2012, Minnesota's Constitution would be amended to define marriage as a heterosexual union, thereby banning gay and lesbian couples from the institution.

After the vote, Tom Prichard, president of the group – which has led the fight to get the amendment on the ballot – said he hoped that Minnesotans could have a “respectful discussion” that refrains from becoming “personal.”

But documents excavated from the group's website by GoodAsYou.org blogger Jeremy Hooper reveal Prichard's more likely approach.

In several documents, the group asserts that gay people are more likely to be pedophiles, that being gay is a choice and that gay people are not normal.

“The homosexual population includes a disproportionate number of pedophiles,” the group claims in it's “legislative manual.” “Many prominent homosexuals and organizations have the stated objective to remove age-of-consent laws from state statutes.”

“The social acceptance gay rights laws give to homosexual behavior creates a climate in which opportunities for homosexual behavior multiply.”

“Some homosexuals, especially lesbians, consciously choose a homosexual lifestyle as part of a political agenda.”

“Accepting homosexuals as 'normal' victimizes homosexuals themselves. If a person has a disorder, it is far worse to tell him that he is fine (and encourage him to blame society for problems associated with his disorder) than to point out his problem and offer a means of help.”

“What gay rights laws ask for is a special privilege for homosexual behavior not generally available to other groups identified by aberrant behavior – such as those who commit incest, adultery, bestiality or pedophilia.”

The group also objects to anti-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation and all forms of legal recognition for gay and lesbian couples.

This is gonna get messy. I hope.

Magic Pink on

• Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    “The social acceptance gay rights laws give to homosexual behavior creates a climate in which opportunities for homosexual behavior multiply.”

This one you gave to give them. God forbid our society turns into one where homosexuals don't have to be afraid to be who they are.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm a big fan of letting consenting adults do whatever they want to and with each other. There are extreme edge cases, but one can only reach those with a slippery slope argument, and that would be goosery of the highest order.

MKR on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Meh, it is Minnesota. One of the more reasonable states, if it gets messy it will be just a few individuals spouting the crazy. It will all be sorted out quickly though.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

This one you gave to give them. God forbid our society turns into one where homosexuals don't have to be afraid to be who they are.

"If you legalize homosexuality, homosexuals will act all gay and stuff. Which is gross."

Atomika on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This debate should get messy. Messy, sweaty, grunty, hot, heavy and hard. Someone ain't gonna shit right for a week when it's all said and done.

Robman on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of letting consenting adults do whatever they want to and with each other. There are extreme edge cases, but one can only reach those with a slippery slope argument, and that would be goosery of the highest order.

Denying a group their civil rights should never be put up to a popular vote.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

This really should be the next Constitutional amendment.

"The 28th Amendment: The Wolves and the Sheep do not get to vote on what to have for dinner."

Atomika on
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This really should be the next Constitutional amendment.

"The 28th Amendment: The Wolves and the Sheep do not get to vote on what to have for dinner."

How about "No State shall... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."?

Tenek on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So re: Tennessee's don't you dare give equal rights to gay law, I've been asking around some organizations and it's pretty clear they plan to pursue legal action and get it struck down based upon Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996).

The legislature apparently tried to make some slight changes in order to prepare for court challenges, but they don't believe it's enough to keep the law.

Invisible on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure I get their argument here...

“Accepting homosexuals as 'normal' victimizes homosexuals themselves. If a person has a disorder, it is far worse to tell him that he is fine (and encourage him to blame society for problems associated with his disorder) than to point out his problem and offer a means of help.”

Isn't the only "problem" associated with the "disorder that is homosexuality" social persecution? I mean, aren't disorders and diseases usually characterized by, well, feeling bad INSIDE? I mean, I have a disorder... The social stigma associated to it doesn't help me, but it's not the worst part about it, the worst part about it is how it makes me feel.

I don't know, if I suffer from a disease which symptoms are exclusively things like Loss of civil rights, social shunning, persecution and such, I would think I'm not the one who needs to be cured.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't know, if I suffer from a disease which symptoms are exclusively things like Loss of civil rights, social shunning, persecution and such, I would think I'm not the one who needs to be cured.

And you'd be wrong!

They cure you by ruining your life until you're like them. Problem solved.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm not sure why this is in reply to me since you seem to be agreeing. D:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Because you're a godamn turtle!

No, I read "letting consenting adults do whatever they want to and with each other" to be "go ahead and let everybody vote on stuff what's harm". Apologies and whatnot and wherefore.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As mentioned before I think Minnesota will sort it all out in the end. It's a good state.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have zero confidence in the majority to vote to protect civil rights of a minority. Which why we, you know, don't leave it up to a vote whether we're talking about gay rights or segregration or some tiny minority religion. It doesn't hurt you, I don't give a shit if 67% of you hate it, tough shit.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    As mentioned before I think Minnesota will sort it all out in the end. It's a good state.

You'd be surprised how bad our "Oh, it'll work out, I don't need to bother" mindset is.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I have zero confidence in the majority to vote to protect civil rights of a minority. Which why we, you know, don't leave it up to a vote whether we're talking about gay rights or segregration or some tiny minority religion. It doesn't hurt you, I don't give a shit if 67% of you hate it, tough shit.

:^::^::^:

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    This debate should get messy. Messy, sweaty, grunty, hot, heavy and hard. Someone ain't gonna shit right for a week when it's all said and done.

The important moment will be where Santorum comes into the equation. His frothy rhetoric could be the messiest part of the whole [strike]debauchery[/strike] debacle.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Because you're a godamn turtle!
    D:

Santorum was right!

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    “Some homosexuals, especially lesbians, consciously choose a homosexual lifestyle as part of a political agenda.”

For some reason this particular bit made me chuckle. We all know that those homosexuals are just lying about it to reap all the social benefits that come with being gay, but those lesbians are just extra sneaky.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Turtles all the way down?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So far, St. Cloud State University Republicans I know are coming out against this as being restrictive of rights and therefore not republican. So that is a good sign.

But, on the other hand, some gay guy got beat up downtown the other day, though probably not related, more like just some drunk dudes wanted to beat up a guy. The shouting of slurs didn't help. Lest I give you the wrong opinion about here though, this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this happening and there was a rally today in support of this guy.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    rndmhero wrote: »

For some reason this particular bit made me chuckle. We all know that those homosexuals are just lying about it to reap all the social benefits that come with being gay, but those lesbians are just extra sneaky.

To be fair, there is a grain of truth to this, in that some 70's feminists said that true feminists became lesbians.

I have no idea why people think gay is equivalent to pedophile though. There isn't any evidence for that. I've also heard fears that gay people are going to rape other guys randomly, which is incredibly silly. So, MN is a bit of a mixed bag, but I think things will turn out right in the end.

Lot's of Catholics who hate on the gays though...

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »

To be fair, there is a grain of truth to this, in that some 70's feminists said that true feminists became lesbians.

I have no idea why people think gay is equivalent to pedophile though. There isn't any evidence for that. I've also heard fears that gay people are going to rape other guys randomly, which is incredibly silly. So, MN is a bit of a mixed bag, but I think things will turn out right in the end.

I can't wait for the day when I can say I'm Catholic to a gay rights supporter without having to explain that I'm not one of the hypocritical ones.

I absolutely hate people that hide behind religion to hate people. Gives me a bad name.

Rend on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've witnessed (and intervened against) gay bashing in Minneapolis. It happens.

That said, I really doubt that the anti-gay marriage thing will come to pass here, because our state is something like 45% Democratic voters, 37% Republican voters, 8% Independant voters (Independance is an actual party here, thank you, Governor Ventura), and 10% swing. The Independance party is like the Libertarians, only, you know, actually Libertarian instead of Tea Party Crazy. They believe in personal rights (including for gays, women, etc), low taxes, and fiscal responsibility. The only reason we had Tim Pawlenty for eight years is because the Independants siphoned off Democratic voters (he never had over 50%).

So, even if the Independants don't vote for the Democrats in 2012, they'll probably vote to not fuck over gay people.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rend wrote: »

I can't wait for the day when I can say I'm Catholic to a gay rights supporter without having to explain that I'm not one of the hypocritical ones.

I absolutely hate people that hide behind religion to hate people. Gives me a bad name.

I absolutely cannot wait for at least one of the bigger Christian denominations to say "gays are ok".

Turkey on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The pedophilia thing requires knowing some vague misinformation and making some leaps of logic while ignoring actual causation. Victims of childhood sexual abuse have a higher chance of developing some form of sexual "abnormality"(I'm trying to be scientifically neutral, so don't go reading into my word choices here), including both homosexual tendencies and pedophilia. So it's technically possible that pedophilia and homosexuality have a barely higher overlap than other groups, even though it's plainly obvious that there's no actual correlation. So bigots manage to get their hands on some incomplete summaries of studies and jump to the conclusion that best fits their worldview(big surprise there).

Mars on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    The problem with sexual predation of children is that it warps their view of sexuality, not what their sexuality actually is.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Some FUN news today. Remeber the folks above in Minnesota who called us baby-fuckers and puppy-schtuppers? BACKPEDALING:

Gay Marriage Ban Proponents Delete Documents Linking Gays To Pedophilia, Bestiality
    The main proponent of an effort to amend Minnesota's constitution to ban gay marriage has deleted documents linking gays to pedophilia and bestiality, the Minnesota Independent reported.

The president of the Christian conservative group Minnesota Family Council on Wednesday defended the documents, which first came to light Tuesday on the website GoodAsYou.org.

Tom Prichard told NPR that the documents get “into the nature of homosexuality and homosexual behavior.”

“The focus of this campaign is the nature and purpose of marriage – not a referendum of homosexuality per se, or its lifestyle activities and behaviors,” Prichard told the radio network. “I would see that as a separate issue.”

After Minnesota lawmakers on Saturday agreed to put the amendment on next year's ballot, Prichard said he hoped that Minnesotans could have a “respectful discussion” that refrains from becoming “personal.”

In the documents, the group claimed that gay people are more likely to be pedophiles, that being gay is a choice, that gay men and lesbians eat human excrement (feces and urine) and are not normal.

“The homosexual population includes a disproportionate number of pedophiles,” the group claims in it's “legislative manual.” “Many prominent homosexuals and organizations have the stated objective to remove age-of-consent laws from state statutes.”

“What gay rights laws ask for is a special privilege for homosexual behavior not generally available to other groups identified by aberrant behavior – such as those who commit incest, adultery, bestiality or pedophilia.”

The group also objects to anti-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation and all forms of legal recognition for gay and lesbian couples.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And, lest we forget, gay guys can still be complete assholes:

Rachel Maddow Looks Like A 'Dude,' Gay GOP Leader's Husband Says

Gay GOP group GOProud chairman Chris Barron tweeted on Wednesday that his husband thinks MSBNC host Rachel Maddow looks like a “dude.”

“Commercial with Rachel Maddow just came on and @ShawnRGardner said 'who's that dude?'” Barron tweeted to his more than 2,000 followers.

Barron and Gardner married last year in the District of Columbia on St. Patrick's Day after an eight year engagement.

Several followers found the message funny.

“LOL, Now that's Funny!!!” wrote one.

“too funny,” replied another, “her first name should be Pat!”

Both messages were ignored by Barron, but he rose to defend himself when someone criticized his comment.

“seriously, still shocked at @ChrisRBarron (a homo)'s lack of respect for lesbians,” messaged @yikespetes.

“what exactly does @yikespetes mean by that?” @stigtoo asked.

@stigtoo I am pretty sure he is a humorless troll @yikespetes,” Barron responded.

The comment comes 6 months after Barron said he isn't accepted by gay people because of his politics.

“I can tell you right now, I have an easier time being openly gay with the conservatives than I do being a conservative with other gay people,” he told guest host Cenk Uygur during an appearance on MSNBC's The Ed Show.

“That's the truth,” he added.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I know lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of very devout Christians who adamantly support gay rights. So I'm certainly one you wouldn't need to explain it to. We even have a pro-Gay Catholic church in Minneapolis. They get in LOTS of trouble but they're still there and they're absolutely wonderful people.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    “I can tell you right now, I have an easier time being openly gay with the conservatives than I do being a conservative with other gay people,” he told guest host Cenk Uygur during an appearance on MSNBC's The Ed Show.

“That's the truth,” he added.

That's because, to gays, your conservative politics are both mystifyingly self-defeating and dangerous to their civil rights as a whole.

To conservatives, your being gay just makes you their house boy.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bwuh? Minnesota is a good state? You're talking about that state that has elected Michelle Bachmann.

Though to be fair, they also elected Al Franken, who is as awesome as Bachmann is terrible.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Bwuh? Minnesota is a good state? You're talking about that state that has elected Michelle Bachmann.

Though to be fair, they also elected Al Franken, who is as awesome as Bachmann is terrible.

Man, don't bust our chops over the Sixth District. We feel bad enough about it as it is. Fact is, the Sixth is ridiculously gerrymandered so that it will pretty much always be conservative.

*grumble*grumble*stupid St. Cloud*grumble*

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Elitistb wrote: »

Franken was BARELY elected and had to fight for months for it.

There is absolutely no guarantee we'll vote down the ban and people really need to stop saying we will. That complacency will guarantee the thing getting voted into law. The main opponents of the ban are younger people and voter turnout on younger people is always pretty shitty.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, kinda have a little more respect for Miley Cyrus now...
    hYarm.png
    pttZ6.png

I also think it's really cool how she's being supportive without also pretending to understand the struggle or anything like that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Young people know what's up. It's the old people that are holding up progress.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

You and me both. I'm a Christian who lives in the south and doesn't think gays are abnormal beasts and pedophiles.

OH MAN WHY DO I LIVE DOWN HERE

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2011
    Fly, you fool

Whippy on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Oh man, kinda have a little more respect for Miley Cyrus now...
    hYarm.png
    pttZ6.png

I also think it's really cool how she's being supportive without also pretending to understand the struggle or anything like that.

Wow, mad props.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
This discussion has been closed.