As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hunted: The Demon's Forge

PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
hunted.jpg

I apologize if anyone posted about this already Search function was down and I manually went through 12 pages of forums with not a whisper.

This game has been on my radar since it showed up as a pre-order for steam. Then I got to play it at PAX last year and I got to see how the co-op works which was actually pretty interesting. IT is actual co-op as in you have to work together to solve puzzles, and your abilities actually synergize with your partner. Unlike some titles where co-op is you just happen to be in the same game at the same time...

Stolen from wikipedia:

Gameplay

The game will feature co-operative multiplayer with splitscreen that has been confirmed. E'lara will be able to use a bow and small weapons, while Caddoc will wield larger melee weapons. The player will have the option to explore large areas. The player will be able to use spells to help in combat.[1] It is powered by Unreal Engine 3.

now back to me:

Characters:

Elara
character_image_elara.png
An expert marksman and one of the few elves left in the world, E’lara lives to fight. She’s a thrill-seeker—rash and impulsive. She is also incredibly dangerous. Her people were slaughtered by the Minotaur when she was young and E’lara is one of the only ones who survived the massacre. But she’s learned not to dwell on her past, nor to waste much time worrying about her future. She lives entirely for that rush of adrenaline and the thrill of the moment. Or so she believes…

Caddoc
character_image_caddoc.png
A hulking warrior and deadly swordsman, Caddoc considers his mind to be one of his sharpest weapons. He is cool and cautious, always preferring to have a plan before he charges in... but he never hesitates when action is called for. An impulsive act he took as a youth cost him the life of his lover and he's vowed never to make such a mistake again. Now, he lives the detached life of a mercenary. He does the job, he takes his pay, he moves along. And he never, ever, gets emotionally involved. Not until now...

Seraphine
seraphine.png
Seraphine appears to Caddoc as a muse in his dream; haunted by the mystery of her identity, he seeks to find an answer for the reoccurring dream, and the ominous feeling that overwhelms him. As Caddoc and E’lara explore the Fountain of Elisha, they come upon the spirit Seraphine. As beautiful as she is mysterious, Seraphine explains to them that she is trapped in spirit form until her physical body is found. She offers the two the Deathstone; a magical crystal skull that grants the bearer insight into the lives of the recently deceased. With the Deathstone in hand Caddoc and E’lara must explore ancient ruins, booby-trapped dungeons, and besieged cities to discover the great mystery surrounding Seraphine and the disappearance of the local population.

Screen Shots:
split screen yes!
SplitScreen-large.jpg
hunted-img1-large.jpg
hunted-img14.jpg
Dungeon-large.jpg
I HAVE THE POWER!
battle_charge_elara-f-large4.jpg

Videos:
Lucy Lawless /rawr talks about her character and some bits about the premise.
I was already excited about this game from the first screen shots and then playing it at PAX last year but this seems to have increased my interest. Mayans, magic AND demons sign me up.
http://www.destructoid.com/lucy-lawless-wants-you-to-feel-something-in-hunted-199823.phtml

More lucy lawless talking about her character because well I just like to hear her talk.
Hands on review that is fairly recent:
Interview during game-play (ignore the last few minutes adverts etc.)
G4 Interview:

Link to main Website: http://www.huntedthegame.com/index.php/en/story

The more I see of this game the more excited I am about it, is anyone else looking forward to this game?

camo_sig2.png
Psiberian on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got my hands on this at PAX East playing as Elara. Combat felt really awkard to me. A good part of that could have been just not being familiar with the controls, but I watched a few other people play, and it didn't really seem to click with any of them.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it looks like a dumbed down, co-op version of God of War, something I wouldn't go near, ever.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Artereis wrote: »
    I got my hands on this at PAX East playing as Elara. Combat felt really awkard to me. A good part of that could have been just not being familiar with the controls, but I watched a few other people play, and it didn't really seem to click with any of them.

I didn't like the controls either but for me at least, I think it was because the demo was on xbox controller and I am a KBAM kind of guy. From the more recent reviews and things that I have read, the game has come a long ways since last year controls and character/story wise. I hope there is a demo before release, but I will still probably pick it up on steam.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Surprised there isn't more on this, 5 days from release. As a big co-op fan, I am trying to find more dirt but it seems very hype-less.

The look appears kind of generic, but I can't say I know much about the background/story so maybe there is an interesting reason why everything is bone and black. The Machinima vid makes combat look pretty slick IMO.

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am interested in this game, but i have a strong feeling its going to be co-op or single player only, and be like 5 hours long. Which means it wont be worth buying at full price.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game was one of the big showings from last years E3 wasn't it? I'm really surprised it took a giant nosedive in popularity like this. It looked awesome when I saw it and I was so excited to get my hands on it. Five or so days away and this is what has happened to it. Crazy.

I pre-ordered it on toysrus.com because it was only 44.99 and I had a 15 dollar card from when I bought Brink. So I pre-ordered for a sexy 29.99. I don't care how it turns out for half off the full price. I'll be fine with whatever I end up with. But it still looks sweet to me.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gonna be grabbing it on 360 if anyone wants to co-op.

Of course because I live in the third world of the UK we have to wait til Friday to get it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I may have to join you in such an act. I won't get it for a bit either because I didn't care to pay for any kind of awesome shipping. I figured the fact I got it for half off was good enough and left it there.

mastrius on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game totally reminds me of that horrible Steampunk shooter Damnation, for some reason.

I don't know, I hope it's good, but it just looks really, really boring and vapid. When co-op is the only interesting thing a game has going for it, it's a sad state of affairs. I had higher hopes for Brian Fargo.

Edit: That whole "giant eye" bit in the trailer is the most cringeworthy fucking thing.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    See I just remember last year everyone was excited for it and then they stopped showing anything at all for it and it just died out. Things have changed a lot since then I think though. When that was shown it was different to see. And now it seems like it's not nearly as cool as it was just one year ago due to the releases of some grand games.

mastrius on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll probably end up waiting on reviews, but I may end up picking it up for the 360 on Tuesday. Anyone down for some evening co-op?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty interested in Hunted. InXile did the Bard's Tale remake a few years back and it wasn't terrible. They're a competent developer.

InXile is ran by the guy who created Wasteland back in the day. He reaquired the rights to the Wasteland series and is rumored to be working on a new game. With that said, I hope to see them do well.

I have this on my GameFly list at least. I'll be down for some games. I was pretty worried for it because for a short time it and Dungeon Siege 3 had the same release date.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hillean wrote: »
    I'll probably end up waiting on reviews, but I may end up picking it up for the 360 on Tuesday. Anyone down for some evening co-op?

Well I have regular shipping on it so I probably wont get it til the end of the week or maybe even beginning of the next. But whenever I do finally get it from the mailing I'll post in here and anyone looking for a partner just lemme know. This will most likely be one of those games you NEED a partner in for it to be what it should be.

mastrius on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's boggling my mind how much people are not talking about this game.

I can barely even find descriptions of the gameplay, there are no ads for it anywhere. It unlocks on Steam in an hour and it seems like Bethesda doesn't want anyone to know that it's out or what the game is like at all other than brown.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The lack of early reviews and talk-up on the game disturbs me too. I WANT to love this game, but I NEED to see some reviews, or a bit more on it. Bethesda pretty much means 'guaranteed sale', but almost every company out there throws out a dud sooner or later. I just don't want to be burned like I was with Homefront.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    woot more people excited about this game. I had a blast playing it at PAX last year with one of the devs. the co-op was fun. Steam ID in the sig if anyone wants to team up just friend me. Shortly after I made this thread I was pretty sure it was gonna be me and somerandomguy from Taiwan being the only people playing.

From what i have seen the game looks far more polished than a year ago, the lack of news on it I attribute to the people who decided they didn't like it when it was announced and never looked back. originally the controls were wonkey (xbox controller) but from all the reviews (3 of them) I have read recently the controls are much tighter now and combat is much improved.

My only disappointment right now is steam told me it would be live at 9pm pst... and now there is a sign on the door come back tomorrow for your key. Can't even pre-load /sad panda.
    Hillean wrote: »
    The lack of early reviews and talk-up on the game disturbs me too. I WANT to love this game, but I NEED to see some reviews, or a bit more on it. Bethesda pretty much means 'guaranteed sale', but almost every company out there throws out a dud sooner or later. I just don't want to be burned like I was with Homefront.

check the OP the bottom spoiler tag has 3 fairly recent reviews.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Releases today, right?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For you colonials yeah.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. It's out today. My copy doesn't ship until tomorrow with standard shipping so...it'll be a bit til I get to play it. Dang. (Xbox 360)

mastrius on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so this looks like a fantasy army of two... thats something i could be into, but not full price into you know. if anyone picks it up id be interested in impressions.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so this looks like a fantasy army of two... thats something i could be into, but not full price into you know. if anyone picks it up id be interested in impressions.

There are a few here that should be grabbing it today. I couldn't pass up the 30 dollar tag from Toys R Us while I had the chance so I bit the time bullet because of the price. (who wouldn't) so I won't have it until next week I'm assuming. Maybe Saturday the earliest. I have LA Noire to play anyways. But I'll certainly let you know when I get it how it is.

mastrius on
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pre-ordered at Best Buy last week for the sexy Griffin armor, am paying full price without any regrets so far. Best gaming moments of my life have all been because of co-op play, so a game built with it in mind, and done seemingly competently, sounds just great.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    installing right now. ill let you guys know my initial thoughts in a few hours

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really interested in getting this. I just might ride my bike over and grab it, but I want to wait on other people playing it first to see their impressions.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So anyone played, any thoughts?

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was gifted this from a friend to play Co-op. He went to bed while we downloaded it so haven't had a chance to play it. Graphically it doesn't look amazing on PC, but gameplay wise i've only done the very first tutorial on single player. So far, and this is only about 5 minutes in, the "Co op in every minute" has been relegated to "both of you need to open this door, so wait and hit B together". I'm going to play it tonight, hopefully, and i'll have a much better review then.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So a couple caveats before I start:
    1. I am only a little over an hour in so far ( had to take my son for his 4month dr visit STABBINGS!! he was not happy)
    2. My last game was witcher 2 which pretty much shames every game in my 200 plus (just on steam) game collection)

initial thoughts:
    The intro movie is neat but someone went motion blur /fuzzy fade out happy. The voice acting is pretty good, Seraphine (Lucy lawless) does a great job and the dialogue between the characters is kind of funny and pretty decent. I hate the check point save system. I have not died yet ( on gamer difficulty) so I may crank it up a bit to see what it does. I really like that you can switch between the 2 characters in single player. My only complaint is that it is not on the fly but only at certain places. The game play itself is actually a lot of fun and the 2 characters play very differently (obvious) The controls are much tighter than the early version I played. They are in fact very smooth and responsive. I did have to turn OFF the assisted aim as I am playing on KBAM and it was throwing me off. The follow this arrow to the next area leads you to believe the game is very linear.... so far I have a voided the arrow thing and gone different routes than suggested and found some neat stuff like enchanted weapons and things and the game still progresses. I think there are just a bunch of forks with different outcomes to move the story forward so pretty neat so far. I am really digging the archery. Combat reminds me a bit of gears of war. Rock solid performance on my PC too, but I could also play withcher 2 on ultra ( no uber) so ymmv.

Overall I would say it is a lot of fun, combat is not very cumbersome at all, it has a cover system but what doesn't really. I am enjoying the story part of it as well and it has me hooked to at least find out what is going to happen next. I am digging the magic system too. So far anyway I would say it was worth my money to pre order.

edit: Oh and the AI for the opposite party member is actually really good. Caddoc runs up to stuff and protects you if you are getting man handled, and Elara will shoot freeze arrows or snipe ranged attackers .

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Caddoc: This must be the better part of town.
    Elara: how can you tell
    Caddoc: by the way the dead bodies are dressed.
    ba dum pshhh

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this game is recommended by you it sounds like. Hmmm, weird that there aren't any reviews.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yes I would recommend it.
    Check out the steam forums for some more first impressions:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1911823
    I haven't messed around with the multiplayer yet, it does seem the finding another player code is kind of hit or miss atm..

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm... still going to wait until tomorrow to see if I'll pick it up or not. No reviews make me too skittish on something talked about so little, and the fact it's just now gotten 2 pages from pre-release till launch on the PA forums doesn't help its case.

Just wanna see some frickin reviews from a reliable site. Surely someone's picked it up and played it and jotted some notes down by now?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is the single-player worth paying for? I'd likely be getting this on my 360 (if at all) and unless something drastic happens I'll probably be playing it alone. I'm not a big fan of doing co-op with random people over the interwebs, and I don't know if my girlfriend will be interested in playing this (likely not) and not sure if I'll be able to con my friends into it.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It reminds me a bit of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic crossed with gears of war. It has a lot of old school secret stuff to find and do also which is enjoyable for me. I can see the shiny magic weapon through the broken fence but how do I get to it Hmmmm.

here are a couple of quick google reviews.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/hunted-the-demons-forge/13036 8.7 user review

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/huntedthedemonsforge/index.html 8.8 user review

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/hunted-the-demons-forge 7.8 user review

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/04/hunted-the-demons-forge-preview/

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this game came out of nowhere for me, but looking at some videos and reading impressions here, I'm getting pretty interested. I do have some questions about it, however, and maybe some people who bought it could help me out.

How much depth is there to character customization? Are the upgrades all "10% more damage", etc. or do some of them actually change how a skill works? Are there divergent skill paths for each character or is every Caddoc/Elara going to be the same?

How about the loot system? Is every item strictly better or worse, or is there some real variety? Finally, are there any estimates on how many hours of gameplay there is to be had?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    So this game came out of nowhere for me, but looking at some videos and reading impressions here, I'm getting pretty interested. I do have some questions about it, however, and maybe some people who bought it could help me out.

How much depth is there to character customization? Are the upgrades all "10% more damage", etc. or do some of them actually change how a skill works? Are there divergent skill paths for each character or is every Caddoc/Elara going to be the same?

How about the loot system? Is every item strictly better or worse, or is there some real variety? Finally, are there any estimates on how many hours of gameplay there is to be had?

Character customization there is a bit. there are 6 skills for each character each skill has 3 tiers, and each tier has modifications that can be made to the skill (range, area, damage, mana consumption etc. I am not sure if it is possible or not to max all skills. If it is not possible then yes you will have vastly different characters ( one that focuses on ice arrows vs one who focuses on explosive arrows vs the one who goes after the shield breaker arrows... I am only 3 hours in and so far it seems like we are just getting started story wise.

example of tree: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970684747/screenshot/578924170925374583/?tab=public

loot: well that is interesting. there are weapons that are strictly "does more damage" so it must be an upgrade, then there are magic weapons that have an ability tied to them that has a limited number of uses.
    For example i had a bow equipped that did 25 dmg. I found a bow that only did 15 dmg but it had 40 charges of lifesteal which did 75 damage. so for a short term(40 shots) it was an upgrade so I had to be sparing as once the charges were gone it was a 15 dmg bow. The drops for weapons and modifiers on them seems random so far.

Duration: unknown I am a little over 3 hours in and it feels like we are just starting to get the ball rolling from a story perspective. So hopefully at least 15-20 hours

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trying to get into a coop game to play this with my buddy, completely impossible for us to connect. D: Hes removed his pc from the router and plugged it straight into the line and its still being a hassle.

Theres apparently 6 stages, with 6 levels per stage. You can pick what level you'd like to start on in the multiplayer settings.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bear in mind the people that have this right now are on PC and well. Yeah. PC port. So don't let all the issues change your opinion if they're something normally related to a PC release of a ported game. (But of course I don't know if the console versions have these types of issues because NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THEM AT ALL ANYWHERE AT ANY SITE.) So.

mastrius on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Character customization there is a bit. there are 6 skills for each character each skill has 3 tiers, and each tier has modifications that can be made to the skill (range, area, damage, mana consumption etc. I am not sure if it is possible or not to max all skills. If it is not possible then yes you will have vastly different characters ( one that focuses on ice arrows vs one who focuses on explosive arrows vs the one who goes after the shield breaker arrows... I am only 3 hours in and so far it seems like we are just getting started story wise.

example of tree: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970684747/screenshot/578924170925374583/?tab=public

loot: well that is interesting. there are weapons that are strictly "does more damage" so it must be an upgrade, then there are magic weapons that have an ability tied to them that has a limited number of uses.
    For example i had a bow equipped that did 25 dmg. I found a bow that only did 15 dmg but it had 40 charges of lifesteal which did 75 damage. so for a short term(40 shots) it was an upgrade so I had to be sparing as once the charges were gone it was a 15 dmg bow. The drops for weapons and modifiers on them seems random so far.

Duration: unknown I am a little over 3 hours in and it feels like we are just starting to get the ball rolling from a story perspective. So hopefully at least 15-20 hours

Item charges sound very strange. How well do you feel it works? Sounds like it would be hard to get excited about loot if it's going to break in 40 hits or what have you. Is there any way to recharge items? Do you get new gear often enough that you're not using normal weapons too often?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're very often swapping out gear with enemy drops, at least in the first stage I played last night. Every weapon and shield has a durability limit, so you're always on the lookout for something better.

Wife and I played through first area last night, split screen on 360. A couple issues... First of all, dark enemies in dark backgrounds are hard to see when screen is split, and no directional damage indicator makes finding them a bit of a pain, especially with non-regenerating health... Might not have this issue in all parts of the game, but it was pretty bad in the beginning. Second, unable to play tutorial prologue in co-op mode, which would have been nice. Learning the game is not very intuitive, but that's a temporary problem. Hopefully, game will warrant a sequel, and that problem will be resolved then.

Seriously, do want a hundred sequels for this franchise. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, empathetic and funny main characters, awesome co-op mechanics... Game is exactly what I was hoping it would be. A must get for any husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend co-op teams.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dharma Bum wrote: »
    You're very often swapping out gear with enemy drops, at least in the first stage I played last night. Every weapon and shield has a durability limit, so you're always on the lookout for something better.

Wife and I played through first area last night, split screen on 360. A couple issues... First of all, dark enemies in dark backgrounds are hard to see when screen is split, and no directional damage indicator makes finding them a bit of a pain, especially with non-regenerating health... Might not have this issue in all parts of the game, but it was pretty bad in the beginning. Second, unable to play tutorial prologue in co-op mode, which would have been nice. Learning the game is not very intuitive, but that's a temporary problem. Hopefully, game will warrant a sequel, and that problem will be resolved then.

Seriously, do want a hundred sequels for this franchise. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, empathetic and funny main characters, awesome co-op mechanics... Game is exactly what I was hoping it would be. A must get for any husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend co-op teams.

You sir just made me happy. :^:

mastrius on