As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hunted: The Demon's Forge

• Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh, so people are playing this game!

I'm actually rather enjoying it, but I have to take issue with basically all of those claims. The visuals are passable at best, but it performs great on my aging machine. The story is dumb as hell, and the characters and voice acting are awful. The back-and-forth banter between the main characters is so tired and juvenile, you'll have already established the depth of the characters after the first chapter.

Also, bad design at multiple points. Example: The first "optional" objective involves reaching an axe on a platform. Once you find the axe, you find you cannot (immediately) reach it. You are then prompted with a tutorial advising you to press a button to activate a guide spirit that will show you the way. So, you press the button, and it directs you down a ledge. So you jump down the ledge, and are immediately prompted with "objective failed." Awesome.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Silence regarding this game's release is deafening. Still haven't seen any reviews on the sites I frequent, and apparently only two or three people in this whole thread have actually bought it. Why the stealth release for such a decent game? Should be seeing lots of high 7's to mid 8's for this game... instead, grim dark acknowledgements that it was, indeed, perhaps begrudgingly, gulp, released.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I might give it another week before I buy, if at all. No one's talking it up, no one on my friends' list has it, and Duke is only 2 weeks away (2 days before the demo at that).

Maybe a demo would help sell this title?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have a feeling this game is going to drop in price rather quickly. Joystiq gave it a 3.5/5, and that's the only review I've seen.

Anybody else have it on PC? I haven't been able to play it co-op.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only way we got Coop working was to completely remove the router and plug the line directly into my friend's machine, and that still took multiple tries to find the game. Unfortunately halfway through the first level my friend decided he no longer had any interest in playing the game, so I'm also looking for someone to coop with on Steam. If anyone feels like giving it a shot, my steam is in my sig.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Haven't heard much about this game, but uh, the female elf character looks attractive. I guess that's a good thing. It's something they can hang their hat on.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe it'll be a cult fave. Gabe seems to be liking it, and review copies only just came into most game pubs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've had fun playing it with my friend currently at chapter 3 on Hardcore. Online wouldn't work so we just skipped over it and used BattleLAN and played over LAN.

He has his own first impressions on his blog. http://iskatumesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/hunted-first-impressions.html

Hunter_Killers on
    4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Joystiq review was about how I expected it to be so that works for me. Plus Gabe be likin it. That is also good.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wasn't this suppose to have a map editor?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Game is enjoying very good user reviews.

Sleeper hit?

Sheep on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I picked this up due to my weakness for coop. If anyone wants to coop on steam, I'm down.
    User: dachish

vamen on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've put about four hours into it so far playing coop with my buddy, and I really like it. It definitely has some quirks to it. The cover system can be a bit wonky, and navigating around terrain is not always as fluid as I would like. But the combat is a lot of fun, and the two characters really mesh well together. Really enjoying exploring the levels for secret rooms. There are, of course, your standard "figure out how to open this door and get a few gold pieces" secrets, but there are also slightly more complex secret rooms involving finding sets of keys, solving riddles, etc., complete with little mini-boss encounters at the end. The level design is pretty linear overall, but there's still a lot of exploration to be had if you want to find everything.

The game does a really good job reinforcing the coop mechanic during exploration as well. Whenever there's an opportunity for your partner to do something, you can press a button and your character will mention it. There's also a button to show you the shortest path to your partner. My friend and I are using voice chat, but these in-game systems are actually easier to understand, which is nice.

The presentation is pretty good as well. Graphics are about like Gabe said in the news post, in my opinion: almost always good, very rarely great. I think the voice acting is pretty decent, at least by video game standards, and the dialog isn't cringe-worthy. Overall, if you want a fun hack and slash dungeon crawler to play with a friend, I can very easily recommend this one.

Oh, and anyone having difficulty playing online should try forwarding TCP/UDP 7777. Fixed my issues.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Giantbomb's got a quick look up.

Doesn't sound like Jeff's too keen on it.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Giantbomb's got a quick look up.

Doesn't sound like Jeff's too keen on it.

Then it's bound to be a good game in that case.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They still haven't shipped my copy. Was supposed to be yesterday. Bah. I have no clue when to expect this now.

mastrius on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Wasn't this suppose to have a map editor?

It does, it is in the Crucible it seems pretty basic so far but I didn't play with it too much. There may be an advanced options somewhere. The devs packed about a dozen of their home made rape maps too( the 3 I checked out anyway were hard).

I am surprised by the amount of hate for this game considering MOST People complaining haven't played the game, there are next to no reviews for it and yet they refuse to listen to the people who HAVE purchased and played it who are saying it is pretty good.

I am personally enjoying the heck out of this game. even after playing through witcher 2, twice.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    The presentation is pretty good as well. Graphics are about like Gabe said in the news post, in my opinion: almost always good, very rarely great. I think the voice acting is pretty decent, at least by video game standards, and the dialog isn't cringe-worthy. Overall, if you want a fun hack and slash dungeon crawler to play with a friend, I can very easily recommend this one.
    People, I politely request that we raise our standards.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I watched the Quicklook on Giantbomb.com, and yeah, they didn't really seem to be all that into it. I personally thought the bow-shooting was extremely disorienting the way it would zoom in and out as he switched between taking cover and shooting, but maybe it's less terrible to the person playing (or if the person playing is less terrible).

What I found to be particularly odd is that there were two guys sitting there talking about the game, but they didn't demonstrate any of the co-op stuff; Jeff just played solo the entire time. Seems logical to at least do some split-screen play to show people what it looks like.

Overall it doesn't look all that thrilling, but I think someone with a good co-op partner could probably have fun with it.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was just bothered by the fact that that lady and her bow take up the entire lefthand side of the screen. Kinda sucks for situational awareness.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I haven't had much of a problem with the character taking up most of the screen, but it can be a bit weird going in and out of cover. In fact, the camera in general is weird. There's no camera smoothing, is the problem. Is that term, even? Anyway, when you're sprinting (holding a button Gears-style), any tiny little bump in the terrain bounces the camera, and it feels rather janky.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my tv must've been broken when I was playing this because I thought it was ugly as shit. Still had fun with it, but eargh, the cutscenes looked like there was vaseline on the camera.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It looks good once you're out of the caves. I've actually come around on the art style though, it really does look pretty later in the game.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure it also looks better on the PC.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was actually annoyed at the giantbomb guy (singular) playing the co-op game. I got the impression from the outset that he expected it to be crap so just found things to complain about. I RARELY use the phrase but damn, that guy needs to Learn to play. The camera can get wonkey while running as previously mentioned, but no where near as bad as it was while he was in control. And, Yes, it is much better on PC. don't get me started on the hanging victim he jumped right into to pick up the pile of gold then complained about it being nowhere in site. The only saving grace was he admitted that someone was probably watching this saying "no you idiot.." because he's right I was :P

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've read on a couple different sites that people are just nitpicking the game because they don't want to admit they like it. I'm still waiting on my copy to come in for 360, but I may just say screw it and buy it for PC. I'm a 360 achievement whore though...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    I've read on a couple different sites that people are just nitpicking the game because they don't want to admit they like it. I'm still waiting on my copy to come in for 360, but I may just say screw it and buy it for PC. I'm a 360 achievement whore though...

The nitpicking, always the nitpicking.

Anyone buying this game should be buying it primarily for the co-op. Story, RPG system and gameplay mechanics are all okay by themselves, but two player co-op makes the game something worth talking about for weeks to come. Game is full of dynamic, rad moments that players create for themselves - be it opportunities to rock bad guys in unexpected ways, inventive discussions regarding puzzle solving, or trying to recreate a hilariously erotic breast physics glitch for twenty minutes. Developers were smart in that the coolest asset they brought into their creation was dependence on human interaction, teamwork and friendship. All of it definitely intentional... and clever.

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dharma Bum wrote: »
    recreate a hilariously erotic breast physics glitch

My weekend is now planned.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh man. So Portal 2, Witcher 2, Terraria, Honest Hearts, Fable 3, this.

I don't have enough hours :( I just don't.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd loan you some of mine if I could. Next week I won't have any available, though, with my copy of Hunted coming in whenever it pleases. SSF4:AE comes out, and DNF a week later...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Definitely gonna pick this up when the price drops. The main appeal for me is the fact that you can do split screen co-op. Wanna play this with my boyfriend. It looks pretty fun too.

Vee on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woo. Finally disabled the stupid always on VOIP and found a partner for Co-op. Trying to give this game a fair shake now.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Final_BossFinal_Boss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Been playing this off and on over the past couple days and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Sure, it's a little rough around the edges, but I really like the art direction (aside from the elf that is).

Final_Boss on
    360 & Steam: InfinityPrime
    PSN: Infinity_Prime
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    She's the best part. Don't be hatin on scantily clad elves!

Also from what was said up above. The reviewers really do seem to like it but just want to hate it for some reason. I don't get it. The reviews are like. A 5 out of 10 but they just say good things and then give it a 5. It's odd.

mastrius on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok going to buy this. The coop looks pretty good...how does it hold up in single player?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    Ok going to buy this. The coop looks pretty good...how does it hold up in single player?

My copy won't be here for a while but the consensus is that he AI in single player is pretty kickass. You swap between the two characters but the AI on the other is good. (From what I hear.)

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I played through the entire game by myself. The AI partner is great, they buff you at (usually) appropriate times, and upgrade their own weapons. It's worth mentioning that the weapon racks that you destroy to get loot only drop loot for the character that breaks it, and so it is possible for one character to cockblock the other by destroying them all before the other has a chance to. This is particularly easy to do as the archer, obviously. The AI character is always more than gracious at letting you have first dibs, though. If there's ever only one rack in an area, they will never break it.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Played this with a friend for a bit. Eh. It's okay. I liked the combat well enough. Can't see myself scrambling to play it very often, though.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    RakkahRakkah Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HAHAHAHAHA oh this publisher is priceless. They want 90 Aussie dollars for this game. That's like, almost a foreclosed house worth of USD.

And I'd be looking at buying two copies so I could play with the missus. There's no game I can think of that's worth 180 AUD.

Rakkah on
    SC2 SEALanguid.619 USLanguid.362 | Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    PLayed around 12 or so hours this weekend as well as 2 hours coop. Game is a shit ton of fun, especially coop on hardcore (not that the game is a pushover on normal).

I'd like the arrow-accuracy cleaned up a bit (my shots are clipping through enemies far too often) but apart from that: loving the hell out of it.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original