As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Infamous 2] Festival of Blood DLC out now!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't get it. You can get both powers that way? You get more exp?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After you beat it a second time the game goes "Hey, thanks for beating it twice! We've unlocked all the powers for you to buy! And here's an extra 15,000 xp!"

And when I went back to my completed good save, all the powers had been unlocked on that save as well. Pretty cool.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woah, so you can buy both good and evil powers at the same time? How does that work? Requires alignment shift?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No shift necessary. You can literally use any power no matter the alignment.

The only downside is your quick switch menu gets a little bit full.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well that bumped the game up my list. I love optional brokenness in superpower games.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    THe way the game knows is by checking trophies. Inf 1 imports aren't based on save files, cause i deleted mine. BUT i do have the trophies, and it gave me all the bonus'. So the unlock everything is likely based on the same thing. A good ending trophie and a evil one will give you everything, regardless of game loaded or deleted...

texasheat on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I found an unclaimed Hero Edition today, so I picked it up while the pickin' up was good.

Houn on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My system ylod'd me last week (thanks LA Noir). I am realy missing this game right now. I had just hit flood town on my evil playthrough so far as of last time I was playing I was rather underwhelmed by the evil powers.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They are pretty underwhelming until you get hellfire rockets IMO.

Those things completely murder enemies and for some reason use about as much energy as a napalm grenade.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IDK the Ice rockets for preaty awsome too though you basicly had to get a direct hit for them to work but still instant kill on nearly anything.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, there are videos of people who beat the game twice Ice Launching themselves into the air and then using that Fire jump to leap from rooftop to rooftop.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    They are pretty underwhelming until you get hellfire rockets IMO.

Those things completely murder enemies and for some reason use about as much energy as a napalm grenade.

Two napalm grenades take down one ice conduit and you can spam crushers, titans and ravagers with them easily. Nightmare Blast is pretty worthless though.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah Napalm Grenades are the best non-cluster grenade by far. The Punch Blast is also a viable evil upgrade, though it's not quite as good IMO as Shatter Blast. I never found Nightmare Blast to be worthwhile, and Scythe Bolts are a joke :?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Yeah Napalm Grenades are the best non-cluster grenade by far. The Punch Blast is also a viable evil upgrade, though it's not quite as good IMO as Shatter Blast. I never found Nightmare Blast to be worthwhile, and Scythe Bolts are a joke :?

Might as well take the Scythe bolt since the skull bolt is an even worse joke.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited June 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Might as well take the Scythe bolt since the skull bolt is an even worse joke.

Not if you can aim :3

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I got magnum bolt exactly 10 enemies after being told I could unlock magnum bolt with 10 headshots.

Houn on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I find most of the bolt powers to be useless. The only upgrade one worth a damn that I've encountered so far is the machine gun bolt. Pincer bolt? Completely useless. Artillery bolt? Fuck that. Magnum bolt? Terrible.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I find most of the bolt powers to be useless. The only upgrade one worth a damn that I've encountered so far is the machine gun bolt. Pinsir bolt? Completely useless. Artillery bolt? Fuck that. Magnum bolt? Terrible.

Magnum Bolt isn't terrible. It's not as good as the Rapid fire Bolt, but far from useless.

Artillery Bolt and Pincer Bolt? Yeah...no clue why those are even in the game :v:

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can the shatter blast reflect rockets?

Zafina on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I find most of the bolt powers to be useless. The only upgrade one worth a damn that I've encountered so far is the machine gun bolt. Pincer bolt? Completely useless. Artillery bolt? Fuck that. Magnum bolt? Terrible.

You've got to be kidding! Magnum Bolt is the best by far. Two shots all the early enemies, one shots them with headshots and takes only four bodyshots for conduits, all of this ins short, strong bolts that don't leave you open to enemy fire for long. The Machine gun bolt I found rather useless - takes forever to kill enemies and has a pretty bad spray, all the while leaving you open to fire. It's only good for reacharging energy imho.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Magnum bolt is the strongest bolt attack. Kills every foot enemy in 2-3 shots, vs the 6+ seconds of concentrated firing of Bolt stream.

On the other hand, if you're playing the good path, then you're doing it wrong. Unload with your grenades and rockets, and just before you run out of energy use Bolt stream to mop up and refill.

Once you get the good karma bonus that makes your bolts leech energy, via Bolt stream you should never run out of juice again.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I use artillery bolt to shoot dudes that are far away.

But man Pincer is bad.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, Magnum bolt is the strongest bolt attack. Kills every foot enemy in 2-3 shots, vs the 6+ seconds of concentrated firing of Bolt stream.

... huh? Aim chest height, and about 1-2 seconds of spraying bots at the enemy they'll be dead. If you get lucky one will be a headshot and end it even sooner. Icemen and Conduits are what I get Magnum Bolt out for, but Bolt Stream is perfectly fast for normal mooks without needing to be precise.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reading this thread makes me feel... wrong. I enjoyed the game, but I thought the first one was better. I prefer 2's side characters, graphical improvements and the traversal is way better but everything else about it felt worse.

*incoming wall of bitching*

My biggest game play issue is that powers didn't get better as you went through the game, there were no upgrade paths. I went from taking Militia down in 2 magnum hits to taking icemen down in 5, which got tedious quickly. At the end of the game, I still take down Militia with 2 magnum hits. The powers themselves felt half-assed. Replacing lightning shield with frost shield? In the end it made my end game Cole in 2 more agile but weaker than my end game Cole in 1. I was expecting a lot with the quick switch system, but instead we just got the same powers as the first with a few extras that I didn't end up using (except for Ice Launch, which was spectacular).

The story felt weak, especially the ending.
    It just felt rushed, like they couldn't think of a good/evil decision for just straight up fighting the beast. Why wouldn't Cole get both the powers from the girls if they were willing, why didn't they explain why they didn't get his. My biggest issue, though, is "The Plague" which felt like it popped up out of nowhere. We fixed that issue with the first game, it was Sasha. It wasn't even hinted at that it wasn't Sasha. It's a bit hard to swallow that they just resurrected that so that Cole has to die or become super evil.

Where are they even going to take a third? If the beast could be defeated, Cole was the one to do it and he couldn't in the end. With the Evil ending Cole becoming the beast would mean the world is doomed. If Cole does get resurrected then what, who is he going to fight? There aren't any other conduits. I just had no emotional response to Cole dying. I wanted a chance to go toe to toe with the beast one more time. The whole purpose of him coming to New Merais was to get enough power to beat the beast, and I didn't even have the chance to fail.

If the good/evil decision was something like Sacrifice yourself to destroy the beast, or use the life force of Zeke/Kuo/Nix to defeat the beast, that would have had a bigger impact for me.

It's still a great game, I might end up playing a evil play through. But it has left me with a bitter taste.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got to disagree there. While it's a super hero game, I still like it to be challenging. I much prefer having a bunch of different ways to use powers than a few powers that are really overpowered.

And while you might have had single bolts by the end of infamous 1 that were godlike against Reapers but average against First Sons, it didn't matter at all since you never really go back to the previous islands in infamous 1 other than shard collecting. And, at least for me, I finished off each island before moving on, so no Reapers spawned by the end of the game for me to feel godlike against.

What I don't like is the new method of gaining the powers. I liked old way of overloading yourself on a powr substation, then having a guided area showing you how to use the new power.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be easy. But there should be some sort of power progression along side the enemy progression. I liked that my powers always stayed average against the enemies in the first, but were still progressing. It felt like the icemen were just bulletsponges.

I liked the fact that my lightning bolts were god like against reapers, but you're right in that I never got to really experience it much because I rarely went back to the first island. It just gives a sense of progression that I didn't get in Infamous 2.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My only problem were the big icemen, and they were relatively uncommon, plus I had tricks to deal with them. By the time I really got deep against the regular icemen, I could smack them down hard with my bolts of choice, or quickly building up combos, and keep my flow going against a large group by simply thumping one with an ultra combo.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Icemen feel about as tough as First Sons to me, even on upgraded powers. Which, for elite enemies, feels about right. Big Icemen aren't that tough now that I know that a rocket to the face hurts them a lot. They're nice, easy targets up on their ice pedestals.

My main problem is mutants. For some reason, they just feel a lot tougher to me than Icemen, probably because it's harder hitting them.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was playing on Hard, so that most likely did skewer things. But I have to agree, after half way through, regular enemies started taking so long to kill, I didn't feel like some badass hero.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I too prefer the first game's power acquisition system - the sewer levels looked and played great. I also miss the occasional platforming sections - working your way across broken bridges or up that huge tower.

I think what I miss most are the tunnels - I had some great fights in car-packed tunnels once I had the evil blast power that made cars explode - the screen was filled with flying, exploding cars, and enemies were dropping everywhere.

Just finished the good side - I enjoy it enough that I just started and evil playthrough, but I'm not looking forward to agreeing with Nix at every turn. She could not be more unappealing.

Indoorsman on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hero edition is only $60 at gamestop. Use code VSHIP for free shipping. Snagged my copy even though I can't play it for another 2 weeks.

JAEF on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hero edition is only $50 at Amazon. Enjoy free shipping on orders over 25, or 2-day shipping if you have prime/prime trial. Didn't snag a copy even though I okay i have nothing to write here that matches

(it's their deal of the day)

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nice catch. Going to leave Gamestop in the title since it seems to be a permanent price drop.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Why does a price drop always happen after I buy something?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    They're watching you O.O

JAEF on
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Hero edition is only $50 at Amazon. Enjoy free shipping on orders over 25, or 2-day shipping if you have prime/prime trial. Didn't snag a copy even though I okay i have nothing to write here that matches

When I follow the link it lists as $97.50 for me on amazon.com.

Amazon.ca lists it as $80.

Gamestop.com lists the $60 deal for me, but gamestop.ca still lists it as $100.

Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »

When I follow the link it lists as $97.50 for me on amazon.com.

Amazon.ca lists it as $80.

Gamestop.com lists the $60 deal for me, but gamestop.ca still lists it as $100.

It was $50 when it was linked last night, but it must not have stayed there for long.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Played more of this last night. Still not getting the 'don't feel like a badass' complaints. Sure, I can't stand there while I get plugged by 20 guys. But when I throw an ice grenade, freezing a bunch of them, ice jump on top of a building, put a few magnum bolts in the faces of the guys up there, shockwave drop down in the middle of the others and destroy them all with the amp, I can't help but feel badass.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I went for the Gamestop deal. Not too keen on the figure and sash though.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I went for the Gamestop deal. Not too keen on the figure and sash though.

I'll take your sling-pack if you don't want it.

yalborap on