As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Five Year [chat]iversary

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Havelock wrote: »
    Ugh. Whoever created the timed platforming puzzles for the Assassin's Tomb in the San Marco Basilica for Assassin's Creed II can go die in a fire.

Especially whoever thought that dicking with the camera pov halfway through the most difficult timed puzzle was a great idea.

Good to know I am not the only person who feels this way. The camera is awful in that one.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    this is stupid why is nobody home i have no one to get a burrito and watch an indie flick with

afternoon [chat]

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also is it just me or are columnists basically people we pay to be up their own ass?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So should I buy bully and Alpha Protocol for under $10 or not?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hey desc did you wanna hike through the valley slash bike across the beaches? I have been told those are lovely things to do.also apparently some restaurant in the valley has the best hot cakes. Can't remember the name. Think it started with a d? Also mazzy your state is weird

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So should I buy bully and Alpha Protocol for under $10 or not?

Yes. Do this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, it is. What did we do this time?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Just weird, alien scenery and towns. Your dying towns are more depressing too.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So does steam detect that you're on a different IP or something? I made the account on my laptop at home, plugged it in at work to get Bully, and had to enter a code because it said I was using a different browser or computer.

What's up with that?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Can't believe you didn't check out Toronto, Tarr. Disappoint.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »

colorado is just a pale shade of alaska

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I tried pretty hard! In that I even was like hey toronto person I am looking for couches wink wink. Nothing doing.

Also trinidad is pretty cool I guess

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited July 2011

The ghost towns in the mountains and such? Most of those are left over from the 1800s. Otherwise the state is growing. Not sure if the standard move away from rural areas makes us weird.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    this is so slow!

websense apparently isn't working but the network is chugging in response....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    i feel so damn full. ugh. my lunch wasn't even that big.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    now things are moving faster

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So does steam detect that you're on a different IP or something? I made the account on my laptop at home, plugged it in at work to get Bully, and had to enter a code because it said I was using a different browser or computer.

What's up with that?

Do you have a webcam? Since the last UI update, Valve is able to connect to your webcam to track your movements.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I tried pretty hard! In that I even was like hey toronto person I am looking for couches wink wink. Nothing doing.

Also trinidad is pretty cool I guess

I would have offered you mine, but I'm already sleeping on it!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Drez wrote: »

What's up with that?

Do you have a webcam? Since the last UI update, Valve is able to connect to your webcam to track your movements.

that's not too creepy....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Man, I feel I've stumbled on the most insufferable bullshit presentation technique - text-heavy slide - break it up by more or less randomly highlighting words in a different color.

Stab him with scissors.

It's me. I do this.

It works. It shouldn't work, but it does.

It's just easier to read slides with some quasi-random variation in color.

Text-heavy slides are terrible. Even worse is when the presenter reads them verbatim. Slides should have pictures and key points that remind you (the presenter) of what you should be speaking intelligently about.

Personally, I don't think anyone should present anything that they can't present extemporaneously. The slides are there for the audience, not for the person speaking.

This presentation is like 80% full screen pictures of SEM images to disguise my lack of results.

It's just it turns out, text-heavy slides become way more readable when I break up the blackness with a theme color. Happily, they're basically there to remind me to emphasize some particular point - I don't believe i preparing for presentations, giving the same presentation twice etc.

I understand. And please don't take offense to this, but I just don't think there should be text-heavy slides in any presentation on any topic ever. A slide should have, at most, ten words, and even that is pushing it.

It's usually just a big blur for the audience. It's fine to have a speech prepared, but a slide you are showing the audience shouldn't contain your speech.

32 words on the one which made me think to post this. The main problem is the expectation of a conclusions slide - there's no way around it and this one is surrogating for the fact I hate them.

Just put a big yellow smiley face for the conclusion slide. Or the symbol for tragedy.

The-Comedy-and-Tragedy-Masks-acting-204463_489_381.jpg

Drez on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bad Teacher was pretty funny.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

What's up with that?

that's not too creepy....

Why would that be creepy? I routinely check on people through their webcams. By the way, you have very perky nipples.

Drez on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also is it just me or are columnists basically people we pay to be up their own ass?

Usually yes. What is even worse is when newspapers repackage such columns for foreign markets. In NZ we increasingly get them from the big Australian owned newspapers

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    is the F:NV dlc worth getting?

edit": i need an answer in the next 10 min

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    YES. LZ Granderson should be out of a job. Who the hell in the Gay and Lesbian Journalist Association voted him member of the year, because that dude should not be near a word processing device.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Oh Tar if you are still on a train, here is some reading for you.

Why everything you know about the collapse of the Soviet Union is wrong and what it means for today.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Ow. Did I sleep with one arm behind my back tonight or something? Shoulder aches like hell today.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

For 6 bucks versus 20 bucks?

Hell yes.

I was waiting for all the DLC to come out, but hell's bells, at a 70% discount it's damn well worth it.

Mind you, I haven't actually PLAYED it yet but the reviews have been positive.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ok

20 bucks for F:NV + DLC seems like a plan

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Hell yes.

I was waiting for all the DLC to come out, but hell's bells, at a 70% discount it's damn well worth it.

Yeah I mean even if the content is barely par it's still what...$3 per DLC right now? I say get them.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ell what is your avatar/sig from

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sweet, got a job offer for some seasonal thing. The good news is that it's a little more pay than my old one. The bad news is that it's kind of over with in October/November.

However, that buys me time to find a long term one.

The best news is that I start before my severance pay runs out, so it's like getting 2 paychecks!

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Havelock wrote: »
    Ugh. Whoever created the timed platforming puzzles for the Assassin's Tomb in the San Marco Basilica for Assassin's Creed II can go die in a fire.

Especially whoever thought that dicking with the camera pov halfway through the most difficult timed puzzle was a great idea.

Good to know I am not the only person who feels this way. The camera is awful in that one.

It is so very, very awful.

If the fixed camera stuff was benefitial in any way I wouldn't have a problem with it.

It honestly feels like it was included only for the sake of making an already difficult series of platforming puzzles more difficult in a "wow, that was a dick move, guys" kind of way.

It makes me wonder if it's actually easier on console as opposed to PC.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ok

20 bucks for F:NV + DLC seems like a plan

Wait, you can get F:NV + all the DLC for 20 bucks? F:NV is only $14.99...holy shit.

That is a steal. I'd say F:NV was worth the $50 I paid for it.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Ell what is your avatar/sig from

http://vimeo.com/22253725

I'd been looking to get F: NV for a while

everyone here seems to love it

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

yessssss

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TomeWyrm wrote: »

Hell yes.

Yeah I mean even if the content is barely par it's still what...$3 per DLC right now? I say get them.

Not only that, but the DLC adds perks and raises the level cap, so the main game is enhanced by the DLC even without going to any of the new DLC content/areas.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I was contemplating getting RUSE, because it seems awesome, but I think it's one of those games that would sit in my game library forever without getting much love from me, to be honest.

Drez on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So after a few days I've lost all interest in Just Cause 2.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.