As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[From Dust] droppin' lava like it's hot. out now on 360 and PC.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    for that one, place the trees between the two closest pools of water. make sure you place some leading from the water to your village. you have to time it carefully so the water beats the fire down the hill, so it takes some careful placement of the trees.

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Been looking at my friend leaderboard. Local H Jay is quicker than me at just about every challenge. Curses! Cheers for the help though. Nitro, Water trees and the final one are the only challenges I have left. Have you seen the final challenge though? It's pretty ridiculous.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Movement is a real bastard. I almost won a bit ago. I went for infinite earth too soon.

Sand is a terrible barrier for lava. Stuff grows and then burns quite quickly. I just can't spread my lava music fast enough.

I will try to make my own islands next time in the caldera.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Machismo wrote:
    Movement is a real bastard. I almost won a bit ago. I went for infinite earth too soon.

Sand is a terrible barrier for lava. Stuff grows and then burns quite quickly. I just can't spread my lava music fast enough.

I will try to make my own islands next time in the caldera.

I just got to this level too, spent ages making the volcano wall that diverted it's flow and it just goes "lets make a hole in the center, fucking you up"

:(

• Options
    Finally beat that damned Volcano level, Movement. Super hard compared to the other ones. But it felt so good when I got the last totem and Things calmed down... slowly.
    Anyway it was all worth it for the last level. Is there a way to stop a volcano that you make at the end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Machismo wrote:
    Finally beat that damned Volcano level, Movement. Super hard compared to the other ones. But it felt so good when I got the last totem and Things calmed down... slowly.
    Anyway it was all worth it for the last level. Is there a way to stop a volcano that you make at the end.

Hover over it and spam B.

• Options
    Btw,
    my truck was to get evaporation ASAP, Maybe first. Can't recall. Got repel lava out fast as I walled in the volcano, or at least diverting it away from my paths and stuff.
    Finally I cleared sand from areas where I was going to build and areas without lava/fire protect. I poured lava to raise the up(like infinite earth is too close to the walls).
    Used some spare sand to help men to them. Once I got the last ones things settled down and the lava stopped. That third totem though got nuts when the walls erupted.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Machismo wrote:
    Btw,
    my truck was to get evaporation ASAP, Maybe first. Can't recall. Got repel lava out fast as I walled in the volcano, or at least diverting it away from my paths and stuff.
    Finally I cleared sand from areas where I was going to build and areas without lava/fire protect. I poured lava to raise the up(like infinite earth is too close to the walls).
    Used some spare sand to help men to them. Once I got the last ones things settled down and the lava stopped. That third totem though got nuts when the walls erupted.
    The way I did it was getting repel lava then I immediately moved the first town up onto a raised area of rock I'd built up in the corner. While they were doing this I grabbed a ton of explody plants and blew some holes in the crater wall so that the the water had a way out. I then sent some people over to the evaporate totem after the volcano was having a break in spewing lava everywhere and just after the rain. After getting evaporate and waiting for the fire repel guy to get to that village I grabbed the infinite dirt totem and constantly put out the fires climbing up the hill to the town with that power until it got fire repel. Then it was pretty simple to get the last totem and wait for the lava to recede. Sunk the central volcano into a deep pit using exploding plants so it couldn't set fire to anything.
    Then just moved the villages around abit for fun.

• Options
    and i finally beat all the challenges. wow, the one that gave me the most trouble was actually sacrifice, which is the one with an extremely limited sand and a very small window of time to make a route of sand.
    so now i am at 190/200, i have to go back and beat it losing fewer than 5 villages, which is gonna be harder than it sounds... anyone whose done this got any tips? i always tend to lose ones on the volcano maps

• Options
    I just restarted a map whenever I lost a village. On most lava maps the real danger is forest fires but if you use the global view a lot you can see them and cut them off easily. To take out fire I just pull the soil up from beneath the fire to cut out that bit and then drop the same soil on whatever else is burning. Much quicker than water.

Any tips for the last challenge map? I tried it 4 odd time and I just cant see the trick to it.

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Becky and I were playing the trial over the weekend, paitiently waiting until today to get it in case this month's Xbox Rewards offer was related to buying Arcade games (it wasn't, stupid waiting), so now we'll be all over this thing. I was actually amazed when,on the second level of the trial, she ringed off a sizeable expanse of sea and proceeded to drain all the water out of it until it was a bowl of land. I was quite expecting it to just infinitely refill, but no, that's a thing you can do. I now want to see just how far that can be pushed.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I want this so much and I must wait 17 more sleeps to get it. *little boy excitement*

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I wonder if I just replay the level where I lost like 10 villages, will I get the achievement? Cause that one level ruined it all for me.(the volcano one on the shore, where lava is flowing on both sides of the first village into the sea).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Man, this is one of those games that I get so absorbed in that I lose track of time, I love it. The satisfaction of outsmarting the elements and the appreciation for how much the landscape has morphed since you started a level is a great feeling.

It could do with being less picky about water/lava around totems (damn neat-freak villagers) but otherwise this is great.

• Options
    Man, this is one of those games that I get so absorbed in that I lose track of time, I love it. The satisfaction of outsmarting the elements and the appreciation for how much the landscape has morphed since you started a level is a great feeling.

It could do with being less picky about water/lava around totems (damn neat-freak villagers) but otherwise this is great.

I have to agree on the water and lava stuff. If I pour water out to cool some lava, it seems like it tends to create a jagged surface which traps a bit of the water. When I build the totem, everything just gets stuck. A real problem if you lack enough sand to level it all out (which I did a couple of times).

I really hope that this game can get really modded after release. I'd love to apply undulation to the last map, creating my own challenge. Or maybe mod it into a Populous: The Beginning style game. Hot air balloons, shaman, and warfare.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Domhnall wrote:
    I just restarted a map whenever I lost a village. On most lava maps the real danger is forest fires but if you use the global view a lot you can see them and cut them off easily. To take out fire I just pull the soil up from beneath the fire to cut out that bit and then drop the same soil on whatever else is burning. Much quicker than water.

Any tips for the last challenge map? I tried it 4 odd time and I just cant see the trick to it.
    the last challenge is all about constant movement. first thing you do is grab the first totem and move it up the hill, not too far though or the villagers will take too long and the village is destroyed. immediately after they move, send people to both the fire and water idols, and send them to the next totem, the left hand one (you should go for the top one last). move that totem once it's built up higher on the mountain closer to the first. next, use infinite earth to bridge a path to the last totem, and send men to that one.
    it's important to do all this VERY quickly or the first few totems will be sunken. also make sure you click on items to send people to them first, because half the time i died it was because the little guy bringing the knowledge didn't make it to the next town and they all died. lastly, be sure to move them closer together and higher, by moving them closer the people have less distance to travel so they all learned the songs sooner.
    good luck, that one was tricky :D

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Played the demo, feels a little shallower than I'd hoped (+1 hoping for Populous).

Can someone explain what the 'special missions' related to 100% forest and animals are like?

Also, do your villagers ever do anything other than die and collect totems that help them not die? I gather that all you ever do is get them from point A to B, but do they ever learn to help with that (build bridges, boats, etc)?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Machismo wrote:

I have to agree on the water and lava stuff. If I pour water out to cool some lava, it seems like it tends to create a jagged surface which traps a bit of the water. When I build the totem, everything just gets stuck. A real problem if you lack enough sand to level it all out (which I did a couple of times).

It basically boils down to: Press a on totem, too much water/lava here's a circle indicating where a fraction of it is, scoop it up, repeat until it's cleaner than an army barracks.

On a side note, I'd have to say that Infinite Earth is my favourite ability, although there's something to be said about jellifying a tsunami.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    my favourite thing about this game is the way rivers dynamically create deltas.

Fucking love those deltas.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    I love when a village reflects lava long enough that it starts to form walls and canyons around them.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I love when a village reflects lava long enough that it starts to form walls and canyons around them.

In addition to this the way that rivers (of lava or water) will form channels.

I really love this game and am disappointed that it received so many middling reviews. I was occasionally frustrated by pathing but pretty much every time I was trying to do something by split second timing there was an easier way that I had neglected. I was extremely impressed by how dynamic the world was. I played through the desert level with the many water sources and by the time I got to the end the world was nearly flooded. My friend then played it and I discovered that the final village was surrounded by the thorn trees. In my play I washed away half the thorn trees before I even saw the village.

My only real complaint is that given that the game is so short, way too much of the play time is taken up by tutorial style levels. I feel like the mechanics are easily strong enough to build a full game around.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    I'm nearing the end and haven't tried the challenge maps out, but I would be down for dlc further down the line.

• Options
    i would love more story like DLC, or just a sandbox mode. no more challenges though, i like my sanity.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    This is pretty much an arcade game, dont hope for too much, im guessing if it does well they'll make a full game around it.

Not to say its not awesome, I havent lost track of time like this with a game in ages.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Just finished it, holy hell the second to last level is hard.
    Ignoring the very narrow window to stay alive at the start, the I only had one village with the fireproof ability for ages (and there was a lot of soft resetting as I tried to prevent the volcano/fires from destroying the former village until the fireproof effect activated) because the lava formed a canyon around them and I had to wait until I got Infinite Earth to bring them out of it. I lost count of the number of times my villages caught fire or drowned.

The final level is pretty chill, it was a nice ending.

• Options
    I am just so pleased that they decided/are able to show tsunamis in-game. Like, rather than jump away to a cut-scene showing it washing over stuff, it's like BAM, HUGE WALL OF WATER WHAT DO YOU DO. I would absolutely love them to take this technology and expand on it, using it elsewhere. Actually being one of those villagers as the sea rears up to obliterate everything around you? Utterly epic.

If they do get to make more, it would be pretty sweet to see it go in the direction of Populous or something, a little more adversarial, but using the same game mechanics. I hate how in those kinds of games you have to expand your influence before you can reach far enough to slap your enemies, so you end up building a series of crap huts just to earthquake some bitch, then wait ages to recharge your mana bar. Here, it's like, I want that earth over here, so I shall move it. What's that, lava all the way over there? Well now it is where I want it.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Doh! Doh! Doh!

I accidentally selected New Game instead of Continue. I just wanted to replay the nice Sandbox level at the end! Damn it. It's all wiped back to square one (aside from all my unlocks , completed challenges, and Memories).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Machismo wrote:
    Doh! Doh! Doh!

I accidentally selected New Game instead of Continue. I just wanted to replay the nice Sandbox level at the end! Damn it. It's all wiped back to square one (aside from all my unlocks , completed challenges, and Memories).

How.. appropriate.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Prohass wrote:
    This is pretty much an arcade game, dont hope for too much, im guessing if it does well they'll make a full game around it.

Not to say its not awesome, I havent lost track of time like this with a game in ages.

Bummer. Well, double bummer really, because now I'm more confused. It is an awesome concept, and I would like to see a full game... so do I buy it anyway?

Make this easy for me Steam, do an opening day sale or something.

• Options
    Hahaha! Cheers for the tips for descent, Local. Made it from an impossible map to an easy one. Also if anyone is ever stuck on tree of water challenge map do what I did. Ignore the whole 'build a damn, hold water, stop fire' thing and instantly go to global view, go to the fire side of the island, activate amplify breath and then just scoop up the trees that are on fire and then dump earth on the next set of fire. Took my about 20 seconds to extinguish all the fire and I never even had to worry about the water trees.

Although now I'm missing the tribe memory for power of aqua and power of lava. Anyone have any ideas? Just need to finish this off and thats all the achievements done.

Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Domhnall wrote:
    Hahaha! Cheers for the tips for descent, Local. Made it from an impossible map to an easy one. Also if anyone is ever stuck on tree of water challenge map do what I did. Ignore the whole 'build a damn, hold water, stop fire' thing and instantly go to global view, go to the fire side of the island, activate amplify breath and then just scoop up the trees that are on fire and then dump earth on the next set of fire. Took my about 20 seconds to extinguish all the fire and I never even had to worry about the water trees.
    I just clumped them all together (when allowed to move them) and then picked up all the earth around them. Then I never had to even so much as think about fires.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Trying to beat Sacrifice makes me more frustrated than I've been at a game in years. It's the only challenge I have left, and it's not like there's some trick to it; it just requires more precision than the 360 triggers and analog stick provide.

I think I'm giving up until they patch it to give one more scoopful of sand in the level. One more scoop, that's all I need.

• Options
    the only tip i can give for that one is to press lightly on the triggers... the less pressure you use the more control you have over the amount you drop.

• Options
    I know there isn't much room to budge on the ending but just so it's clear:
    Everything is occuring in one big loop?

• Options
    I know there isn't much room to budge on the ending but just so it's clear:
    Everything is occuring in one big loop?

That's what i got from it.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    the only tip i can give for that one is to press lightly on the triggers... the less pressure you use the more control you have over the amount you drop.

I wonder how they're going to handle the better precision, but lack of analog button sensitivity on the mouse for the PC version?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    CarbonFire wrote:

I wonder how they're going to handle the better precision, but lack of analog button sensitivity on the mouse for the PC version?

I think I've seen:

ctrl+click : slow
    click: reg
    shift+click: fast

in something before. I think it worked pretty well.

Alternately I wouldn't mind seeing it bound to mouse wheel up/down, with wheel-click for dump-all.
    [e] That sounded good in my head, it feels kind of awkward.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

After watching a video, I beat it. It wasn't my dropping that was the problem; it was my picking up. Apparently, you collect far more dust if you hover in one location and hold LT than if you hold LT and move around, vacuum cleaner style. Doing it that way doubled--if not tripled--the amount of earth I had to work with. (The way I initially did it, I was unable to collect any of the initial island that was below the water level; but by just picking up earth in one location, you're able to drop down below the water and suck up more earth.)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Completed the main game last night and just finished off the last of the challenge maps today. And you know what, I'm gonna re-fire it up and run through again for the minimising villages lost achievement. Not out of any particular desire for gamerscore, but simply loving the excuse to play through it all over again.

A thoroughly enjoyed throughout. The main campaign with it's more considered pace, but also the challenge maps that are over in minutes. Each more a puzzle in strategy and planning than a test of reflexes.

Now they have the engine in place I'll take a sequel with more bells and whistles please.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    finally 100%d this tonight. finishing the game with no villages lost? feels good man