As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Omeganauts Assemble!

• Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is semi-related, but sorry for the slight derail. Last year in the front of the line for the final event of the Omega some kindly Enforcers brought pizza for us who were waiting in line for... awhile ;) I remember throwing a few bucks at them as thanks, but I wanted to once again thank those Enforcers for the grub.

The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    Amp300Amp300 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Saxicide wrote:
    So who plans this pre-PAX omeganaut breakfast thing?

As last year's runner-up (*shakes fist at the OMEGACLAW*) I *think* that honor falls to me. If it does, I'll e-mail the Omeganauts the details after confirming them with the Chief Omegatech.

Amp300 on
    y8wmnaI.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Amp300 wrote:
    Saxicide wrote:

As last year's runner-up (*shakes fist at the OMEGACLAW*) I *think* that honor falls to me. If it does, I'll e-mail the Omeganauts the details after confirming them with the Chief Omegatech.
    Didn't you run it last year?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    namdor_07namdor_07 Registered User regular
    Travis it is almost a week past when you said you would contact us again...;)

• Options
    Amp300Amp300 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Amp300 wrote:
    Saxicide wrote:

Nope. Last year, it was planned by two-time-runner-up Omeganaut Noah aka Fallout.

y8wmnaI.png
  • Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    This breakfast thing sounds like a wonderful idea. Also, what does my +1 do while the intros are being made and photo is being taken? Stand over there looking awkward, or get a phone call when we're done?

Saxicide on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Amp300 wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Amp300 wrote:
    Saxicide wrote:

Nope. Last year, it was planned by two-time-runner-up Omeganaut Noah aka Fallout.

Oh, I thought Noah had been the runner up again. Guess he finally broke his PAX Curse.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Got my badge in the mail today. The Halo Fest Badge is sweet!

• Options
    TheWolffTheWolff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well, I'm a little bit behind the times here. I think my fellow past-Omeganauts covered a lot of the important points, but I'll offer my advice.

DO's:
    1. DO practice if you want to win. I would have definitely lost out on the Katamari and Puzzle Bobble rounds if I didn't practice them beforehand.
    2. DO win and lose graciously. Yes, winning is exhilirating, and losing can be devastating. Don't go overboard with your emotions and tarnish someone else's experience.
    3. DO save the organizer's contact information in your phone. That way, if they need to contact you, you know it's not some random number. It also helps if you need to get a hold of them, if necessary.
    4. DO plan ahead of time. You will have the Omegathon events locked in your schedule, so make sure you can fit everything else you want to do. Some lines can take an hour or more to get through...it's not going to be fun when you have to jump out after 45 mins because you have to run to an Omegathon event. Once (if) you get knocked out, you are not required to be at the other events, so that might free up some time for you.
    5. DO (most important) have fun! Yes, it's a competition, but there are many other perks to being an Omeganaut. Last year, we got to jump to the head of the line at panels/concerts, we got to meet Gabe & Tycho, we got to be the first people into the Expo Hall (after Media). They may have something new in store this year...who knows? One thing to note: You usually do NOT get to cut in line in the Expo Hall once it's open to the public. If there's something you really want to see, make that your first priority of the day.

DONT's:
    1. DON'T be a dick. Wheaton's Law is in full effect at PAX. The Omegathon, in particular, is an incredible experience. Don't ruin it for someone else with poor attitude/gamesmanship.
    2. DON'T be late. The organizers will ask that you show up early to your events. Make sure you do this...if you're late you may be disqualified. I almost missed Round 4 last year because my reminder alarm didn't go off, and I felt like a total douchebag.
    3. DON'T bother practicing before you know what the games are. They usually give you the game list ahead of time, and that's really all the practice you need. One exception to this rule is Round 4. Round 4 is almost always a rhythm game that takes place on stage for the crowd attending the nightly concerts. Practice your Rock Band, Guitar/DJ Hero, Dance Central, etc.

Another piece of general PAX advice that you can choose to follow if you want. Don't bother waiting in line to play a game that you are certain you will buy in the next couple months. There are plenty of other opportunities that are better uses of your time. Prioritize things that you normally wouldn't get to do. I plan to try out a ton of board games that I haven't played before...you can rent them out at the tabletop area for free. Last year, there was a Microsoft Surface on the show floor that you could play Catan on. My hope is that the current owner of the Omegaclaw (I think someone at Popcap) brings the nefarious machine to PAX, preferably stocked with a treasure trove of plushies.

Last year was my first PAX, and the Omegathon helped make it one of the most memorable times of my life. Good luck to all and have fun. I'll be there to cheer you on.

TheWolff on
  • Options
    langrilangri Registered User regular
    The games list has been posted, and I have to say I'm a little jealous of you guys.

Of course *I* only got to play one game last year. <mumble>stupid zombie dice...</mumble>

• Options
    ...oh, and they just announced the games:

Round 1, 20 to 16 - Double Dash on Gamecube.
    Round 2, 16 to 12 – Bananagrams
    Round 3, 12 to 8 - Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
    Round 4, 8 to 4 - Dance Central 2, Xbox 360
    Round 5, 4 to 2 - Portal 2 (Console)

Time to practice!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Bananagrams!!

26904.png
  • Options
    Tb0neTb0ne Registered User new member
    An excuse to get a Kinect. Thanks Omegathon!

• Options
    kalimccokalimcco Registered User new member
    Wait...so are we playing a pre-release version of Dance Central 2? It's not supposed to come out until December!

• Options
    FluffyBunniFluffyBunni Registered User regular
    Portal 2? How?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Portal 2? How?

I was wondering that same thing. Those Omegatechs have something devious planned, I can smell it...

*sniff sniff*

• Options
    Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    Portal 2? How?

My guess is two teams of two racing in one of the co-op chambers.

Score could be first to finish, least portals, or least deaths.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  • Options
    FluffyBunniFluffyBunni Registered User regular
    Is this a team event this year? =(

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    kalimcco wrote:
    Wait...so are we playing a pre-release version of Dance Central 2? It's not supposed to come out until December!
    Rock Band Games have been played before their release on stage as well.
    Is this a team event this year? =(
    No, East is a doubles tournament. The Prime Omegathon has rounds with teams/pairs but the whole event leads to a single winner.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    This is exciting!!!

Hey, as an aside, have any of you received your badges yet?

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    I was a little let down by the games that we are going to have to play but I am still excited to be part of the few that get to participate. I bought Lumines Live today and Bananagrams so I could practice. I guess I have to buy Dance Central also (craigslist here I come as I am in no way spending 40-50 dollars on this game). Double Dash was easily my least favorite Mario Kart (and the cheapest) but I really want to go to Tokyo! I would be a little let down if the final round wasn't Halo anniversary as HaloFest is running side by side with PAX this year and to make it nostalgic they could make both participants play with the wireless duke controllers that are supposed to be there (come on Khoo you know you want to)

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    I think people will be surprised at the choice and format of the final round.

Some guy.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I have never failed to be surprised by the final round.

Granted, I'm bad at guessing things.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    I think people will be surprised at the choice and format of the final round.

Sounds like my Halo thoughts may be wrong.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    They already did Halo back in 07. I think it was Halo 2 or 3. Whatever Halo came out that year.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    This year will be a game of rock, paper, scissors but with violent results. For every game you lose, you choose a finger to have chopped off. First person to die...LOSES!

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hahahaha!!!

And I was just guessing Halo due to Halofest and the 10th anniversary what-have-you. :D

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    Honestly, the 07 Omegathon final round was probably the least exciting, unless you're a halo fan. The quirky stuff like the OmegaClaw or Skiball were more interesting and exciting to watch.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    beta_angel wrote:
    This year will be a game of rock, paper, scissors but with violent results. For every game you lose, you choose a finger to have chopped off. First person to die...LOSES!

Personally I think they should have to fight there way out of the theater with the audience blocking the way. First one to the doors wins!

• Options
    josh shadowfaxjosh shadowfax Registered User regular
    Final round needs more light cycles.

• Options
    Final round needs more light cycles.

And possibly more cowbell.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    Casting my vote for ping pong as the final event.

Also I've played Double Dash like once. Maybe. Time to get crackin'!

• Options
    @ArcticXC, I was totally thinking of ping pong a few hours ago as the final game. It'd be fun for the audience to watch!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    OMG Omegapong????? That would be so freaking awesome! Especially with as much attention as it gets on the PA Series. I would bow down to that choice if that were the case. I retract my Halo wireless Duke plea and ask for pong.

• Options
    NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Doubles ping pong. One omeganaut gets Jerry, one gets Mike. Or would that be a horrible disadvantage for whoever got Mike? ;-)

Or you could see who lasts longest against Mr. Khoo. Too hard?

NormanPride on
  • Options
    I would be extremely jealous if the final was ping pong. However, I think the PA folks will pull something unexpected, as usual.

On a half-related note, I think a "Ping Pong with PA" session would be an extremely popular item to auction off at the Child's Play Charity Dinner this winter.

• Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    ...Wow, that's a hell of a gauntlet. I won't be able to make it to Prime, but hopefully they'll be webcasting Dance Central and the Final Round at least... If not then I'll probably be glued to my Twitter. Good luck everyone!

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    not many posts lately...you guys and gals jacked or what? it is getting close to the start of a great thing!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    they're likely in training

• Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    I've been training for the TWDT when I should be training for the Omegathon. :(