Options

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    Those tiger shots are phenomenal. Were they shot from inside the enclosure or did you just have a great spot from an area open to the public? Either way, Roar! is awesome.

nO, the kid shots are great like usual. WB is pretty inconsistent, though - top two are very green relative to the bottom one, which is pretty much perfectly neutral. Just a mention in case you want to keep them as a set.

More Sandilands photos!

Cypripedium acaule - Pink Lady's Slipper
    6061116154_4183bf070f_z.jpg

Cornus canadensis - Bunchberry
    6061116706_d0aa800031_z.jpg

3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    sketch patrolsketch patrol Registered User new member
    hey, first post! i've been working on starting to do photography/other art stuff more. here are some shots..
    i do mostly live band stuff, i'm trying to do less of that and more other shit
    canon xti
    tumblr_lnmfa2fHEr1qz9cd3o1_500.png
    tumblr_ksuuntq4pU1qz9cd3o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ktdhz4sAKF1qz9cd3o1_500.jpg

disposable camera
    tumblr_ln01gqcXSb1qlbamro1_500.jpg

argus c3
    tumblr_ln00tvEWlV1qlbamro1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ln00t5P2Ys1qlbamro1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ln00slhGot1qlbamro1_500.jpg

• Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    Dark - yeah, they're different approaches to post... was trying to get a cross processing type look on the two shots and the other is properly color balanced. :P Flowers! I'm not big on flowers, so I can't really comment :)

Sketch - you've got some nice shots in there. I like the truck, flare, and bridge.

6070766885_fecd9147ee_z.jpg
    Air & Water Show, Chicago by needoptic, on Flickr

6070746343_09f5a00130_z.jpg
    Some Days it Rains by needoptic, on Flickr

6067977108_a90666a751_z.jpg
    I can has view! by needoptic, on Flickr

6056804981_b9b40fd8ec_z.jpg
    Storm is a Possibility by needoptic, on Flickr

6047006285_94b8267ec5_z.jpg
    After the Rain by needoptic, on Flickr

• Options
    thanks!

your shots are gorgeous! that storm one looks like a painting. how do you usually decide when to make certain shots black and white? i feel like i'm really bad at that..

• Options
    Thank you.

I think for me it's one of those "does color add or detract from the shot" type of deals.

• Options
    fair enough.

here are a few more band shots.
    4740808448_429be7f00c.jpg
    4908380933_5280489013.jpg
    5138144764_710eb3f4c1.jpg

• Options
    JoebotJoebot Registered User regular
    Just some birds.

6073639145_560d0a376b_z.jpg
    IMG_9803 by j0eb0t, on Flickr

6073613797_6653098e6f_z.jpg
    IMG_0174 by j0eb0t, on Flickr

Check out my girlfriends art too! http://www.etsy.com/shop/jaimieware
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Was scouting out the location for a wedding this weekend I'm photographing and saw some nice flowers

6078521893_64a9972eef_z.jpg

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    sketch patrol, those shots are very good. I'm jealous!

@Joebot great colours!

• Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    Hit up a car show the other day.

6045639498_d49f5e6291.jpg

6045641104_0b278c1b6e.jpg

6045091857_6d660c53e7.jpg

6045644184_491063ff19.jpg
    140 by Obersmith, on Flickr

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Been a bit busy getting married, but here are a few photos of my wife's wedding dress.

6095124469_25c0827abb_o.jpg
    dress window by jeff25rs, on Flickr

6095124463_962a0d6fe0_o.jpg
    dress door by jeff25rs, on Flickr

6095124459_4fa9fbfbf2_o.jpg
    dress couch by jeff25rs, on Flickr

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    the dress by itself is really rather creepy. Just take out the hangar and you have stock newlywedmurderghost photos.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    LOVE "Storm is a Possibility"

6096022768_a40acdcdd8_z.jpg
    Kia by joshuanitschke, on Flickr

• Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    Love that last shot CC.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I love how the last shot of the dress is a wardrobe malfunction. :3

• Options
    Oh, and here's the latest from me. I find that I take my photos and let them collect dust for a while before I have the courage to edit them. Thankfully an hour in Photoshop is actually a really fucking long time so I am able to crank a few out in a single morning. Just by chance they all happen to look left so I named the flickr set accordingly, whoops!

Please critique.

6103762920_dc60f1e357_b.jpg
    Lets by Kryscendo, on Flickr.

6103761682_a817cd0382_b.jpg
    Look by Kryscendo, on Flickr.

6103759108_a0ca310e01_b.jpg
    Left by Kryscendo, on Flickr.

• Options
    I love how the last shot of the dress is a wardrobe malfunction. :3

Wardrobe malfunction? Wha? I'm confused.

Not a giant fan of the crotch shooting in 1 and 2. At least in 1 it is less noticeable, but it also looks like it has a yellow/greenish tinge to it. 2 and 3 are very bright and vibrant and 1 just falls completely flat in terms of contrast and color when put next to them. The guy appears to be on a tennis court which I think you could have played with a bit more. If he is a tennis player and you were trying to capture that you should try and put him a little closer to the net or use a wider DOF so the net isn't so OOF.

On 2 the leg/crotch thing is a little unattractive. You could crop higher to get rid of that but you would get an odd crop on the hand. So next time just ask the model to move their leg down or cross their legs or something where you don't get a shot like that. I like the colors/brightness in this photo.

3 is pretty good. Some might complain about the bar through her head but is OOF enough that I don't think it is too much of a problem and it is in focus enough that you can tell it is a part of a bridge.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Shot my brother in laws wedding last weekend so here's a few of my favourite shots. Thoughts?

6110064957_26cb625472_z.jpg

6110614432_d752c984e8_z.jpg

6110074637_3e26c08a4e_z.jpg

6110616408_48cc44bd7d_b.jpg

This one got cropped a bit for the actual album, but here's the shot before that

6114305354_1a7a20506b_z.jpg

Weretaco on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is a stylistic choice or not, but your white balance seems generally cold. For instance, on the last one your bride's dress is blue, not white. Bump it a little to the warmer side in post processing and you may like the look.

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Been a bit busy getting married, but here are a few photos of my wife's wedding dress.
    6095124463_962a0d6fe0_o.jpg
    dress door by jeff25rs, on Flickr

I love this one, CC. Great light, composition, color, everything.

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    A couple of shots from an airshow a while back. I couldn't quite get the second one to turn out to my liking. I think my CCD is just a little too noisy, coupled with not having the zoom I would like, so I ended up cropping it about as far as I could get away with.

f_16_1_by_tmbroe01-d3csdvs.jpg

f_15_1_by_tmbroe01-d3csdzj.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Since photography seems to make us into programmers, scientists, chemists, and meteorologists, I was wondering if anyone can help me discern the differences between this memory card and this memory card.

I think it might just be a slight repackaging. Maybe. Anyone know for sure?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Anyone have experience with Crater Lake, OR? Or any other national parks in general I guess.

Gonna go up there this weekend, might make some stops in between (Lassan National Park). Just wondering which lens to take. Of the good lens I have a 17-55mm and a 70-200mm, both f/2.8. There is a second camera my GF has which has a kit lens (18-55mm 3.5-5.6). So I could attach the wide angle lens on that and the telephoto on my camera, but only if it's actually worth lugging around my 70-200mm, which I'd probably only do if I can get some good shots of animals, which I'm hoping there will be plenty of there. But there aren't that many animal shots from a quick googling except for a few squirrels, a bird, and some hairless primates which sorta makes sense since it's the scenery that people probably go there for. I think I also read that the thick vegetation might make a long lens not that useful either. Also if I'm probably only going to see squirrels, then I'm happy to just leave the lens at home since I can easily get squirrels at our local Golden Gate Park.

I guess the only thing that might really be worth using the long lens for is The Phantom Ship, though that's not actually high on my interests.

Any other advice would be appreciated as well. Will be bringing my polarizer, tripod, and flash in addition to the lens.

Thanks!

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2011
    I've been messing with this thing in Lightroom for 2 days and I'm still unhappy with the colors.

6146024102_361258ac71_z.jpg

maybe I'll just give up like a fiddly soundboard guy and push everything up to max
    6146037468_3b8c0140d9_z.jpg

Monoxide on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    Virum, "The Valley" is simply outstanding. I kept waiting for someone else to say it better, but three days is too long. Wonderful photo.

• Options
    Aww jee! thanks. :oops:

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Virum wrote:
    snip, valleys, snip
    these are so ... crunchy. how do you accomplish this? Same with all of needOptic's on this page.

also do i need to go through a third party to post flickr images here

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    I'm having a bit of trouble with Lynda.com.

Mostly it is because I am wanting to take every fucking course, no matter how horribly mundane.

"How to scan photos and documents for home office." Sounds good to me!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote:
    Virum wrote:
    snip, valleys, snip
    these are so ... crunchy. how do you accomplish this? Same with all of needOptic's on this page.

also do i need to go through a third party to post flickr images here

Log in. Go to the photo you want to post. Select Share-->Grab the HTML/BBCode-->select BBCode and the dimensions you want to post-->copy everything in the window where it says "Copy and paste the code below:" and paste it in a new message on any forum.

Success
    6105198349_7b080e6b4f_z.jpg
    Heirloom 1 by helloIamAldo, on Flickr

• Options
    Made a print of this last night for my in laws. The only thing I wish is that I had just that top chunk of the capitol building in it.

6132432880_eb4a3497f7_z.jpg

• Options
    Dracil wrote:
    Anyone have experience with Crater Lake, OR? Or any other national parks in general I guess.

Gonna go up there this weekend, might make some stops in between (Lassan National Park). Just wondering which lens to take. Of the good lens I have a 17-55mm and a 70-200mm, both f/2.8. There is a second camera my GF has which has a kit lens (18-55mm 3.5-5.6). So I could attach the wide angle lens on that and the telephoto on my camera, but only if it's actually worth lugging around my 70-200mm, which I'd probably only do if I can get some good shots of animals, which I'm hoping there will be plenty of there. But there aren't that many animal shots from a quick googling except for a few squirrels, a bird, and some hairless primates which sorta makes sense since it's the scenery that people probably go there for. I think I also read that the thick vegetation might make a long lens not that useful either. Also if I'm probably only going to see squirrels, then I'm happy to just leave the lens at home since I can easily get squirrels at our local Golden Gate Park.

I guess the only thing that might really be worth using the long lens for is The Phantom Ship, though that's not actually high on my interests.

Any other advice would be appreciated as well. Will be bringing my polarizer, tripod, and flash in addition to the lens.

Thanks!

Well you seem to know what you will be shooting and what you like so it sounds like you should take the 17-55.

• Options
    Dracil wrote:

Thanks!

Well you seem to know what you will be shooting and what you like so it sounds like you should take the 17-55.

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote:
    Virum wrote:
    snip, valleys, snip

What exactly do you mean by crunchy? Most of it is just playing with contrast and curves. When I exposed the image I balanced all the shadows and highlights by exposing in the middle. I shot Extar 100 which is a little contrasty but even the skies which were close to clipping I managed to pull some detail back.

• Options
    Wellllll I guess I mean sharpness, but also contrast? not quite the same as punchy, but not far off.
    There's just so much textural detail that it seems more rich than real life.

sort of like this? I don't usually pick out the individual hairs like this when I look at my cat.
    6146892175_906ed9ef51.jpg

• Options
    I guess it is a combination of shooting medium format film, adjusting contrast to emphasize edges cost light and shadows, and a little bit of unsharp mask after downsizing.

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote:
    snip

Thanks!

I end up shooting longer photos in Western landscapes fairly often. Using something a little longer than normal can give a nice sense of scale. Wildlife photos are probably not going to be very interesting around Crater Lake though you might catch some interesting eagles and ospreys.

The weather has been very unstable in the Eastern Sierra for the past week which has produced...great photos!

Mount Agassiz from the summit of Picture Puzzle:
    6142198941_7552cd6303_b.jpg

Sunset from Coyote Ridge:
    6153705480_85ee20055f_z.jpg

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    @Gafoto: Wow, I love that first one. Wonderful. So much that I'm also going to favorite it on flickr. :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I swear to god I hit the button one time. :|

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Aiiight, this shit ain't cool. I want old forums back.

needOptic on
This discussion has been closed.