As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

19495969798100»

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @bsjezz have you ever tried a Rodinal stand development? I've chosen that for my first foray into home developing, as it seems the most forgiving and produces a scan-friendly result. unfortunately I have to wait till vanbar get changing bags & paterson tanks back in stock, but I've picked up the rodinal, fixer, stop bath and various accoutrements, so it's definitely happening!

[edit: aaannnd 100

Baron Dirigible on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You all did it!
    b2Dn7.gif

Who Will make the new thread? @Baron Dirigible‌ You are in the position to make the new thread! You have a few hours, or someone can else can do it.

• electricmeatelectricmeat Registered User regular
    muninn wrote: »
    @electricmeat wonderful shots. I wish you could have gotten a bit lower on the 3rd one, to isolate the tree a little bit better. Last shot is a bit too yellow for my taste, but I feel like it was done intentionally. Your "dead horse portrait" picture seem to have the tell tale signs of fighting the long distance haze I encountered in the Grand Canyon. You seemed to fare much better than I, especially when it comes to color shifting.

I will need to rescan this one again as it doesn't appear as sharp as it should be.
    13892322948_3ba0bc6c3d_c.jpg_DSC5871 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Good idea on that third shot, @muninn. The yellow in the last shot is intentional. I found myself in a peculiar spot as I processed that photo and, ultimately, the yellow tone is what makes it work best. I love the composition, so I didn't want to throw the shot away. As for the haze, I had to take the day as I found it. On other days of that trip, the sky and atmosphere were crystal clear. I got unlucky on that day.

As for your new B&W shot, it's a good example of how using B&W can simplify and strengthen a composition. In color, I'm not sure where my eye would go. In your shot, I start at the bottom and work up thanks to the way the shot is developed. I like the way the frame is bisected and you did a very good job in exposing enough of the upper half to keep it interesting without being overwhelming.

@Prospicience‌, such a clean, sharp shot. I'm trying to nudge myself towards more minimalist compositions and this is just what I'm digging at the moment. So good.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    @Baron Dirigible‌ If you don't want to make the new thread I'll be the backup volunteer.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    @CommunistCow go for it

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    @bsjezz have you ever tried a Rodinal stand development? I've chosen that for my first foray into home developing, as it seems the most forgiving and produces a scan-friendly result. unfortunately I have to wait till vanbar get changing bags & paterson tanks back in stock, but I've picked up the rodinal, fixer, stop bath and various accoutrements, so it's definitely happening!

[edit: aaannnd 100

nope! i dove straight into colour, and then after doing some reading about caffenol started experimenting with that. i think the things i've learnt that will apply to rodinal anyway: be very diligent with your development temps and times, but it can't hurt to over-fix.

it's a piece of cake though, you'll be fine

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Thanks, colour is next on the list but I miss shooting B+W so feel like getting back into it. Re: temps and times, that's one of the reasons I'm looking at a Rodinal stand (or semi-stand) -- basically it needs roughly 20C, but the development takes anywhere up to an hour so timing is nowhere near as crucial.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    New Photo Thread!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189616/can-t-stop-the-photo?new=1

I'm going to be adding more to the OP moving forward but I wanted to just get it up.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
This discussion has been closed.