As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    FYI, Santa. Just caved and picked up Skyrim on Steam.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    A wild package appears.
    freelancepolice choose Snorlax
    FZFQ1h.jpg

Package used unwrap!
    BeiBgh.jpg

It's not very effective.

Snorlax used Headbutt!
    2wYS8h.jpg

It's super effective!

Holy crap, what a haul. Skyrim, Batman AC and some lovely MS points!

Gift notes included:
    "I was going to get you this for PC, but you weren't so sure your PC could handle it. Sooo... 360 version go!"

Great shout, I was umming and ahhing over what platform to get this on and you've made the right decision for me. I'll probably pick the pc one up when I've upgraded my computer next year. Now I can run around a real winter wonderland!

"With these points, you can buy all the Skyrim Horse Armor you can handle!"

Hoorah! I shall be the most affluent dragonborn in the land! So much I needed to pick up so these are so timely!

"freelancepolice, Merry Christmas! Sorry for the lack of originality, but work has me pressed on time this Winter. Hope you enjoy your games! Your pal, Death Cab for Albie"

Arkham Asylum was my GOTY when it came out so I was eagerly anticipating Arkham City. I'd regrettably told myself to wait till after Xmas to pick it up but this has made my holiday! Time to don the cape and fight crime (and play Batman). Thanks So much Santa! (Death cab for albie)

Nice! Say goodbye to your real life for awhile, even just for Skyrim. I've been there for all weekend so far.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I meant Aquaria, stupid predictive texting!
    And anyway, I didn't mention MMORPGs at all, I could have poked at your Steam list!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That's technically true, and I haven't used Steam much for a while. I've been more interested in clearing my 360 backlog, and it was only a few weeks ago I finally got an optical switch to allow me to use my computer without headphones (AKA something I hate doing ;P).
    Whether you're my Santa or not, we should be friends, because you have an excellent taste in games. <3

[Edit]
    As an aside, as I'm feeling a bit more normal today, I'm going to randomly elaborate on some gift hint stuffs:
    Video games and I shouldn't be all that hard to figure out if you go over my steam list of XBL games list.
    I still suggest you avoid boardgames even though they're a large hobby of mine. You could find me on BGG and surprise me though, I don't know. It mostly depends on your own familiarity with these things.
    If you do anything with model kits, I have a preference for Tamiya. I'm familiar with their quality and buy a lot of their paint, so I can colour match things much easier. However I'm still crafy in general and sure do love Lego, so you're welcome to surprise me however you see fit.
    If you're an artist of sorts, I am the kind of person who frames and puts things up in my apartment, and I love adding to my collection (moreso since my apartment now has more open wall space that needs filling).
    For clothing I'm always a safe medium (by American/Canadian standards anyway).
    I had mentioned soundtracks in my original hints message, and this is accurate. I've wanted the Bayonetta sountrack for a while, as well as anything Ace Combat-wise. In general, orchestral == good, but avoid the Legend of Zelda. I'm really not a big fan. =P
    If you have any further curiosities, I point you again towards Proxy or AcidLacedPenguin.

Happy stalking!

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    And anyway, I didn't mention MMORPGs at all, I could have poked at your Steam list!

Aquaria is fantastic and more people should play it. Especially if they like Super Metroid's atmosphere. And exploring mysterious underwater ruins. And fish! It's a shame it rarely goes on sale on Steam, making people buy it on impulse. :P

And the soundtrack is wonderful too.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So not having checked my steam community page in a while, I noticed 2 PA based friend requests. I've accepted but what you can't see is the little mexican stand-off I'm doing with you where I don't trust anyone until we get the gold off this train... I mean, uh, santa hats, of this, uh... train.

• Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    I am such a 360 fanatic, I nearly busted a nut seeing your haul, anoffday. Congrats to you!

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote:

Aquaria is fantastic and more people should play it. Especially if they like Super Metroid's atmosphere. And exploring mysterious underwater ruins. And fish! It's a shame it rarely goes on sale on Steam, making people buy it on impulse. :P

And the soundtrack is wonderful too.

I own that soundtrack. ;P
    Also, it is a game easily worth $20. People should be more willing to buy it to begin with.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Santa; You legend! Whoever you are. Love the MotionPlus and can't wait to use it. I will post pictures but it won't be for a while since I'm currently swamped with tonnes of work. I promise you I'll get someone special to pose for the pictures :lol:

Santee; Should anyone here receive two packages from an unknown individual, could you please post here to let us all know? Just sayin'.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Hillean wrote:
    I am such a 360 fanatic, I nearly busted a nut seeing your haul, anoffday. Congrats to you!

Not mine. I was just commenting on it. It is pretty awesome though.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    holy crap people are spending a lot of money this year

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Been slacking on my gift design. Need to either step it up or go another route.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    How the hell am I to be expected to go buy Skyrim for my Santee without caving in and buying a copy for myself? My willpower is not carved from stone and iron!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Also, son of a bitch, Gamestop! They pulled the lets-give-him-the-opened-display-copy-instead-of-an-unopened-new-copy move on me while shopping for my Santee. :?

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Oh, Santee, I'm shocked and horrified at some of the games you've yet to play! Call yourself a gamer, shame on you, remove your neck beard immediately. Even I've played some of the games you haven't! one of them has caused my heart to break cos you've not yet played it :cry:
    I will have to remedy that soon. Maybe next week. Or the week after.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    Dawasaurus wrote:
    I'm just going to keep posting old christmas music until someone tries to stop me.

Anyone bothers lil' Dawie here, gets a kick in the kneecaps.
    :x

... You go right ahead with your songs, sugar. I'm sure NOBODY here objects. Here, next one's on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqpyfa2EmzQ

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Keeping up on lewiep's mummy's discussion, I love RPGs. Mostly western as opposed to Japanese. Mario was a staple in the early years, and I like flight sims and strategy and puzzle games. Waiting to pick up ace combat and arkham city after Christmas.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Grrr, everything that I've found my Santee plays on line they stopped playing a while ago. Stalking epic fail :(

So for fellow G&T compadres, how about a quick discussion on your favourite games? Hoping my Santee will join the discussion here!

So, I'll start, my favourite game ever is Portal, closely followed by Portal 2, World of Goo, Flow, Flower and Journey when it comes out, Braid, Machinarium, Aquarius and Peggle. What's yours?

Santa, what follows below is information for the discussion of games Lewie P's Mummy started, its got a lot of information you could use if you want to read it, otherwise, just go with your stalking skills.

I'm a Nintendo junkie, not a fanboy, but I love the Nintendo characters. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, I have them all and love them. If it's a Nintendo game, I'll probably own it day 1 or the first week at the latest unless I have a birthday/Christmas coming up where I have to let my family get me something. Outside of that, Portal/2 and Layton games are awesome. Castle Crashers also held my attention for a very long time, but I generally stick to tried and true games because my funds are limited.

I used to game on the PC until I had kids and had to give up my office for a nursery and my desktop for a netbook. I'd love a powerful PC to play games on eventually, but I need to figure out where I'd put it.

If you look at my played games on Live, don't be easily fooled. Modern Warfare 2, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, these are all games my friend has purchased for me to play coop online with him. I'd probably never buy a game like these with my own funds.

Biggest thing for me these days are games I can play in front of my kids. With a 4, 3, and 1 year old, having a game I can play while they're watching is important because I don't get much game time once they're in bed. Partially the noise, but also because I have to share the TV with my wife, since we only have 1. If I'm shooting people, that doesn't work so well. Zelda is even iffy at times because of the hack and slashing.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I also enjoy video games.

That's all you're getting.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Santa:

I only own a 360, DSi, and a PSP. And a Gameboy, GBA, and GBC, but seriously I have enough games for those, and I rarely ever play them as is.

I don't have Xbox Live (no wireless adapter). I don't preorder games, and the most recent game I currently have is Dead Rising 2 Off the Record.

I will seriously love anything you get me. Even if it's a game I already have.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm thinking that getting my Santee something a bit left-field is better than sticking too close to the suggestions. Easier to avoid the dreaded duplicate gift and I think part of the fun is getting something unexpected. The trick is making sure you're not going too off-course.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

I hope you get enjoy playing the Burger King game then.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote:

Just send me a whopper instead.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    So, I received a pretty sexy t-shirt from redbubble.com in the mail today.

I did not order said shirt.

So I am faced with two possibilities...

1. Santa has struck, but has not left a note to claim his good deeds...

OR

2. A t-shirt artist, striking out on his own, has taken my name off of Threadless or T-fury and was kind enough to send out a sample.

If it is 1, Santa, please let me know so I can make post! If you prefer to remain anonymous, let me know through our friend Proxy.

The t-shirt mystery, it hurts my brain!

JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote:

I hope this is a reference to the present I sent out like 4 years ago making my Santee play through that god awful Sneak King game before I sent him his real gifts. :mrgreen:

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:

I hope this is a reference to the present I sent out like 4 years ago making my Santee play through that god awful Sneak King game before I sent him his real gifts. :mrgreen:

That's absolutely evil.

• Options
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:

Did you request a photo of him holding a current newspaper up next to the end-game screen?

• Options
    No I was tracking him via cheevos.

:twisted:

• Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    I totally didn't notice a private message. I miss the pop-ups! Wonder what it

OH SHIIIIT
    YAY

I'm sorry, Santa, but I could not wait. My curiosity got the best of me!
    I got a PM from a mysterious figure known only as...Santathulhu! Along with a badass picture:
    2011-11-07-santathulhu_edit-800px.png

And a message. An awesome message.
    Greetings, Santee, from your G&T Secret Santa!
    I've made a couple silly drawings for you, included here. The Santathulhu drawing and proxy account were made because you have "cthulhu" in your screen name. So it seemed like the thing to do. The other drawing, featuring a couple TF2 characters, was based on something I saw in your post history, about wanting to see a Medic with Archimedes on his head. Well, I drew that, but then I drew some other stuff in there, too. Dinosaur, Spy, other dinosaurs. If you'd like higher-resolution versions of these drawings, you can download them in a handy .zip file. It's the same two images- just bigger.

Some physical gifts have begun their journey to you, from the mighty Amazon. Hopefully, they are things you'll like, but don't have yet. Estimated delivery date is... A SECRET. (Santathulhu might contact you again, closer to when the package should arrive.)

There's also a steam gift link in here, but Santa's identity will be revealed when you click on it. So, if you want to preserve the mystery a bit longer, you can wait to click it, until the main gifts arrive. Or not. You can click it now, if you're really curious! :D

Merry Thanksgiving and Happy Christmas,
    SANTA

And another badass picture!
    2011-11-08-medic-dino-final-edit_800px.png

Well of course I had to click and
    YESSS
    jurassic-park-the-game-logo.jpg

I LOVE STEAM and more importantly, I love Jurassic Park. It's easily my favorite movie, and I had the game up on my wish list for a while. I was going to pick it up...someday, as much as it hurt not to have it as soon as it was out. Money woes! But now I don't have to wait.

Huh...lemme reread that message. "Some physical gifts have begun their journey to you, from the mighty Amazon."

TO BE CONTINUED.

(Thank you so much, Dawasaurus!)

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Those drawings are awesome, and that gift is awesome! Nice!

• Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    Hahahah, I love the dinosaur TF drawing.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Please report back how awesome the JP game is... I must know!

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    I got Skyrim, but it was a birthday present and not linked to P.A Secret Santa. Does it count toward the Skyrim tally we got going on?

• Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    I totally didn't notice a private message. I miss the pop-ups! Wonder what it

OH SHIIIIT
    YAY

I'm sorry, Santa, but I could not wait. My curiosity got the best of me!
    I got a PM from a mysterious figure known only as...Santathulhu! Along with a badass picture:
    2011-11-07-santathulhu_edit-800px.png

And a message. An awesome message.
    Greetings, Santee, from your G&T Secret Santa!
    I've made a couple silly drawings for you, included here. The Santathulhu drawing and proxy account were made because you have "cthulhu" in your screen name. So it seemed like the thing to do. The other drawing, featuring a couple TF2 characters, was based on something I saw in your post history, about wanting to see a Medic with Archimedes on his head. Well, I drew that, but then I drew some other stuff in there, too. Dinosaur, Spy, other dinosaurs. If you'd like higher-resolution versions of these drawings, you can download them in a handy .zip file. It's the same two images- just bigger.

Some physical gifts have begun their journey to you, from the mighty Amazon. Hopefully, they are things you'll like, but don't have yet. Estimated delivery date is... A SECRET. (Santathulhu might contact you again, closer to when the package should arrive.)

There's also a steam gift link in here, but Santa's identity will be revealed when you click on it. So, if you want to preserve the mystery a bit longer, you can wait to click it, until the main gifts arrive. Or not. You can click it now, if you're really curious! :D

Merry Thanksgiving and Happy Christmas,
    SANTA

And another badass picture!
    2011-11-08-medic-dino-final-edit_800px.png

Well of course I had to click and
    YESSS
    jurassic-park-the-game-logo.jpg

I LOVE STEAM and more importantly, I love Jurassic Park. It's easily my favorite movie, and I had the game up on my wish list for a while. I was going to pick it up...someday, as much as it hurt not to have it as soon as it was out. Money woes! But now I don't have to wait.

Huh...lemme reread that message. "Some physical gifts have begun their journey to you, from the mighty Amazon."

TO BE CONTINUED.

(Thank you so much, Dawasaurus!)

:D Glad you like the drawings and didn't already buy Jurassic Park!
    Dinosaurs are awesome, so when I saw it in your wishlist, I thought "Santee must have this."
    Stay tuned for stuff!

• Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    I'll go ahead an chime in on what kind of games I play:
    My hints already indicate that usually, I stick with more casual games, like pokemon and katamari.
    And I'll confess my deep dark secret that the only MMO I really play is Gaia Online's "zOMG." ahahaha

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I like to TF2.
    I guess BF3 as well. And I have been known to roll some dice now and then. D&D 3.5 and 4th (mostly 3.5 now though) and a bit of D20 modern. I DM and I'm (slowly) working on my own post-apocalyptic table top game somewhat based off of the d20 system and some 4th edition ideas thrown in.

I've been doing a lot of level design for TF2 lately, so that game really is my favorite ATM and has been for awhile, and will be for awhile I imagine.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I like games where I hit people/animals/monsters with blunt/pointy/sharp things. Not so much games where you shoot things, Borderlands being the exception. I also like RPGs, but more JRPG than Western. I've also played/own/gotten tired of most released MMOs, including, but not limited to WOW, Rift, and FF14. I'm waiting for the Star Wars MMO to hit and hoping that Bioware doesn't crash and burn.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Grrr, everything that I've found my Santee plays on line they stopped playing a while ago. Stalking epic fail :(

So for fellow G&T compadres, how about a quick discussion on your favourite games? Hoping my Santee will join the discussion here!

So, I'll start, my favourite game ever is Portal, closely followed by Portal 2, World of Goo, Flow, Flower and Journey when it comes out, Braid, Machinarium, Aquarius and Peggle. What's yours?

Going to continue this stuff.
    Loved the shit out of Portal 2. Have yet to play Portal 1. Loved some of the Zelda games, though don't have any for the Wii for some reason (including the older school ones. Which I may pick up to play with the daughter when I get back from the deployment (the older games, like the super nintendo one...maybe Windwaker as well).
    Enjoyed the shit out of Halo Reach this deployment. Got to play it on live as well for a bit. We've tried MW:2 but I'm pretty bad at it...so its less fun.
    I realized I may have a steam account...but not sure what the hell I had it for.
    I do like PC gaming, mostly gaming on the PC has been EVE.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote:

Going to continue this stuff.
    Loved the shit out of Portal 2. Have yet to play Portal 1.

You're a monster!

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Hey, HEY! Guess what everyone?

GiftGet.gif

Skyrim-Title.jpg
    Bastion-title640.jpg

I got 'Rim'd and the sound-track version of Bastion on Steam!

The amount of time that people are pouring into the former is, quite frankly, terrifying. I'll get time to play it no doubt, but I also have no doubt that I will not ever finish it haha :D
    I hear Bastion is also held in very high esteem in this part of the internet, so that'll be getting a play through first I reckon.

Thank you very much Santee!! Please reveal yourself so you may fully embrace my salutations. I'm looking forward to what else you apparently have in store, and may your Santee bestow the gift of cocaine and hookers (or suitable equivalent) :)

steam_sig.png