Options

[Chaos] Chaos in the Old World - Discussion and signups - the Horned Rat

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Lists updated. Should I drop Cerberus to inactive, or leave him for now?

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Back on the list please-I thought I saw it mentioned that he was only interested in the base set and it will probably be a little while before someone wants to run one of those-atleast that's why I skipped him

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I'd like to get back on to the list. On ze bottom, because I'm in a game right now.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    My next host game will be a base set, as I will alternate between sets.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote:
    Back on the list please-I thought I saw it mentioned that he was only interested in the base set and it will probably be a little while before someone wants to run one of those-atleast that's why I skipped him

Well they haven't logged on since the 10th. Since they were here only 17 days before that I'm not real positive how long we should wait.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Annnnnnd another turn 1 Grail in Game 59!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular

• Options
    The Bloodletter upgrade in the Horned Rat expansion keeps coming up as a dominating factor in games. It seems to set up easy mode for Khorne (focus on dice/save his bloodbaths to score ruination bonuses and rack up a quick VP win), but it could be we just haven't figured out how to properly respond to it yet (perhaps with everyone fighting back aggressively, knocking Khorne's figures back off the board so he has to resummon them every round).

Should we try adjusting it, or let things continue to run their course for longer?

Possible fixes:
    1. Complete nerf, substituting the base set bloodletter upgrade instead (may be overkill; with the loss of Skull Throne K might no longer be able to compete on VP, and games tend to be too short in the expansion for a reliable dial win)
    2. Partial nerf
    - limit to once per region
    - drop to one VP per kill

Other ideas that we could consider?

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I don't think the meta has adjusted fully yet- look at game 56, where I've been the only one to touch Khorne's figures, but it still doesn't look like he's guaranteed to win.

Give it a few more games and see if when people all gang up on Khorne a little more it fixes things, is my vote.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I think it's too early to mess with the rules too.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't see taking out Khorne's figures being a viable strategy. The only other God who can reliably play enough battle dice to matter is Nurgle. Moreover, if you're trying to take his figures out you're also giving Khorne targets and he'll more than likely be taking down multiple figures with him and thus still gaining VP.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Haven't followed this on BGG or anything so don't know if there is some consensus on what will balance it better. I do feel that it takes some fun out of the game once that upgrade happens since it requires everyone to gang up on Khorne some to balance-where the fun for me in the game is everyone picking on everyone/teaming up to gang on the leader. If that leader is always feared to be Khorne it makes the games more predictable (ie no fun).

Not sure if we would be able to agree on a forum wide "house" rule or just see what hosts/players want to do each game.

I know when I initially saw that upgrade I thought it was limited to once per region. This one seemed to fit in the best with the general Khorne dial strategy of spreading out dice in as many regions as possible but now you got some extra VP that helped Khorne stay competitive, not dominant.

My two cents

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    I agree that it's too early in the life of the game to do our own rule nerf/errata. In the old version, players could and would feed Khorne figures without thinking about it, since VP was usually quicker than Dial even if Khrone was double-clicking regularly, and Khorne killing one figure in a region was the same as him killing 20 in a region. We just need to adjust our mentality, appreciate the threat Khorne poses, and stop feeding the big red monster our squishy cultists.

Now, if Khorne is still dominating by game 75 with players playing smart, then we may need to look at things again.

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    I'll take that as consensus for not house-ruling, for now. Thanks!

• Options
    ^^^ I'm on that side.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Alright, so this might be tough for people to hear, but we've got a problem, right here in PA Chaos City. And the problem is hosts not shuffling decks before games. So that whole "Grail showing up in every game" thing? As it turns out, totally not handtracker's fault. I probably would've noticed earlier, but I mostly stopped paying attention to all the games going on because I lost interest during/after my spectacular punt in Game 52. It was only when I went to confirm that I had three copies of Daemonic Subtlety in my deck for Game 59 that I noticed my opening five cards were the same as the first five cards in the template. Which means my deck wasn't shuffled. And the Grail showing up Round 1 again probably means the Old World deck wasn't shuffled either.

Just in case you're doubting, here's the real evidence:

First five cards in the base OW template: The Grail is Found, Warpstone Discovery, The Horned One's Due, Road Wardens, Divine Inspiration

Game 47 (completed): The Grail is Found, Warpstone Discovery, The Horned One's Due, Road Wardens, Divine Inspiration

Game 55 (ongoing): The Grail is Found, Warpstone Discovery, The Horned One's Due

Game 56 (ongoing): The Grail is Found, Warpstone Discovery

Game 59 (ongoing): The Grail is Found

Seeing a pattern?

So what do we do about this? I have no idea, but I guess it's up to the hosts of those games. At least Game 59 is only three moves in and easy enough to just restart, but I'm afraid I just ruined Games 55 and 56 for all involved (seeing as it's now very simple to figure out the exact compositions of all the players' hands, as well as their future draws and the upcoming OWCs (if those decks remain unshuffled)), and I apologize for that, but I didn't think I could just sit on this. Although I have to admit that I did consider for a (very brief) moment playing my game knowing that I would draw 3x Festival of Sinew for round 4 if I made sure to be in a Warpstone region. And also knowing everything in everyone else's hands and the order the OWCs would come out in. Damned principles! Anyway...

tl;dr

New hosts, please shuffle the decks. Thanks!

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    ...Dangit, I had a combo to let me double dial this turn...

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    blahmcblah wrote:
    *Snip*

Well, that's... problematic...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    My only issue with Bloodletters is that it might be too much of a "duh" upgrade unless Khorne double-ticked on Round One. In which case he MIGHT opt for something else. Tzeentch is in a similar boat, but I guess the original set had pretty obvious upgrades too. So it's not a terrible outcome if the expansion is the same deal. I was just hoping it might not be the case.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    blahmcblah wrote:
    tl;dr

New hosts, please shuffle the decks. Thanks!

I am so happy my name isn't in that list. I was super paranoid about that when setting up 58.

Adamb has done a fantastic job over there but at one point he was asking about features people wanted to see.....either making shuffling a publicly viewable event or having it so certain decks automatically shuffle when added into a game would be a good thing to consider.

• Options
    Yeah, a tag on the template to autoshuffle would be best. I did include "Finally, make sure you shuffle each deck before letting the players draw." in the instructions for handtracker, but that is something that is easy to overlook.

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    Are there any practical use-cases where we wouldn't want to shuffle immediately? I ask because doing it every time would be a one-line code change that could at least serve as a stop-gap for a proper auto-shuffle option (which we'd presumably default to "Yes, please").

• Options
    Well, if something like the ruination cards are put on handtracker as a deck, it would need to maintain its order. For our purposes right now, autoshuffle would be much better for all the decks we're using (this game, Rune Wars, Android, Small World, Game of Thrones).

• Options
    I like that when the crusade always coming up issue first happened everyone's first thought was that maybe the algorithm was messed up. When I'm hosting however blahmcblah was quick enough to realize, hey maybe just the host is incompetant-because they'd probably be right

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Hey, it's an easy thing to miss. I'm just lucky I'm crazy enough that, before I hosted my first game, I actually read the whole host-training game, and in particular took note of Darian's list of things to do before starting the game.

• Options
    Damn, I did not know that game existed. It's not like I haven't just been ripping off Darian's previous games at every turn, but to know there are detailed instructions out there!

• Options
    Yeah, newbie and host-training game was good times. :)

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I pushed an update that causes all newly-created decks to be shuffled automatically. I also fixed the bug that caused an error every time you added a deck.

• Options
    peskypesky Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    I pushed an update that causes all newly-created decks to be shuffled automatically. I also fixed the bug that caused an error every time you added a deck.

You sir, are a god!

• Options
    Thanks, admanb!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Hooray for admanb! At least now we can rest assured that this should never happen again. But I'll probably still shuffle all the decks like 5 times anyway just in case. Because, you know, the OCD makes me.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    Hehe, Blah! Me, too.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    admanb delivers.

In the private game I'm running I just ended up screwing Khorne with two teleports causing him to move from 3 potential DAC's to 1. I felt a little bad but they were for solid "not screwing Khorne" reasons, really!

Then Electors came up.

Mighty fine way to welcome somebody to the game.

Anyways, can Khorne dial off of ruined regions? I could have sworn he couldn't but can't find that rule in the book.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Yup he can.

Characters
  • Options
    Alright, at least I can give him some good news.

• Options
    Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    I would like to sign up again too please...

• Options
    Can someone give me a quick post of the first 4 nurgle dial advancments? I can't see them at work, evidently the company is now blocking boardgamegeek too.

• Options
    Sure.

5 - Score 3 VP
    10 - Remove 1 Corruption
    13 - Upgrade
    18 - Score 3 VP

• Options
    Thanks blah.

• Options
    I also made this, it still needs work but has most of the important (base game) stuff I could cram on it.

This discussion has been closed.