As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rule of Cool's "Legend"

DrakeRaidsDrakeRaids Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Critical Failures
Seems like a new group by the name of Rule of Cool has just finished work on a cool new RPG called 'Legend'. Its a d20 variant with some interesting twists, their classes and take on multiclassing is of particular interesting, I think. I hadn't really seen much like that before. Anywho, I hadn't seen any topics up talking about it, so I thought I'd throw a link up here. Its currently operating under a "Pay what you want", and it can be downloaded here if you're interested.

Also, all the money from it is going to childs play! Which is awesome!

Thought of the Week: Incoming Fire has the right of way
~III ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING III~
DrakeRaids on

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I was actually a tester for this for a while and have bought the full version, and from everything I can see it is an excellent game. There's a huge variety of customization options with their Track system (long story short: you can now easily multiclass and pick up options from other classes no matter what your base is), there are absolutely no dead levels, all the options are mechanically interesting and unique, and it's very fast to run and easy to learn.

Plus, they've also got donation incentives, where free DLC is released at certain donation thresholds, such as new tracks, new settings, new adventures, and extending the pay what you want period.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    It's got problems.

First off, the unsettling sense of superiority throughout the book really turned me off, especially in the opening section, where they flat-out claim that their system can't be broken. (There's no way a system like this can be unbreakable, and people have to realize that it's okay.)

Second, the multiclassing system is actually less flexible than 3.5 or your typical d20 game. You're still stuck with the same hit point bonus, the same BAB, all you get to do is trade one of your class ability tracks out for one class ability track from a different class.

Third, the feats could REALLY stand to be named better. The 'On a Pale Horse' feat has nothing to do with being mounted, it simply lets you force some will saves onto nearby enemies when you kill a foe. There's some that are sensibly named, and some that are sensibly named and simultaneously mildly amusing, like Epic Flail(grants reach to your Flail attacks. Handy!)

It could really use some better formatting, but on the other hand, it's a searchable pdf, so hey.

I'd rate it a 5/10. It's a solidly average product with a couple of neat ideas, but it just doesn't stand out in any interesting way. I don't like 3.5 standard, but I'd probably play it over this,

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Rainfall wrote:
    First off, the unsettling sense of superiority throughout the book really turned me off, especially in the opening section, where they flat-out claim that their system can't be broken. (There's no way a system like this can be unbreakable, and people have to realize that it's okay.)

I don't see it state anywhere that things can't be broken; just that there has been a conscious effort to make sure that people are relatively balanced and everybody at a given level is about the same strength.
    Second, the multiclassing system is actually less flexible than 3.5 or your typical d20 game. You're still stuck with the same hit point bonus, the same BAB, all you get to do is trade one of your class ability tracks out for one class ability track from a different class.

I don't think that BAB, saves, or hit points are really all that relevant compared to abilities! While stats like BAB or hit die are by no means minor, there's a huge difference between a cleric and a druid in standard 3.5, and they've got the same BAB, saves, and attack bonus. Abilities are far more relevant to a character than their basic stats.
    Third, the feats could REALLY stand to be named better. The 'On a Pale Horse' feat has nothing to do with being mounted, it simply lets you force some will saves onto nearby enemies when you kill a foe. There's some that are sensibly named, and some that are sensibly named and simultaneously mildly amusing, like Epic Flail(grants reach to your Flail attacks. Handy!)

I may be wrong, but I believe "On a pale horse" refers to the fact that Death rides on a pale horse. So you're terrifying.
    I'd rate it a 5/10. It's a solidly average product with a couple of neat ideas, but it just doesn't stand out in any interesting way. I don't like 3.5 standard, but I'd probably play it over this,

It fixes many of the issues of 3.5, especially balance, while reducing the complexity and increasing multiclass flexibility (especially for caster-type characters, who are relatively locked into their class+PrCs). Is there anything in particular you are unclear on, or think that 3.5 does better?

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DrakeRaidsDrakeRaids Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rainfall wrote:
    It's got problems.

Yeah, I heard down the pipeline thats one of the things they're going to be trying to get out in the next round of edits. Its been brought to their attention, and they're going to do something about it. I noticed that a few times too, but I don't recall them calling it unbreakable.

DrakeRaids on
    Thought of the Week: Incoming Fire has the right of way
    ~III ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING III~
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Right in the opening section, where they discuss A=A', they mention how their system makes it impossible to create an over or underpowered character.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Rainfall wrote:
    Right in the opening section, where they discuss A=A', they mention how their system makes it impossible to create an over or underpowered character.

They actually just say that it is their paradigm that no character will be the "best" or "worst" overall. That's not quite the same thing, and is pretty obviously true if you read the system; there's almost no way to make a character that can do everything another character can do, but better (excepting if you do something intentionally silly, like copy another character's build but replacing a key feat with a feat for a different archetype.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Checked this out, figured it was for a good cause, and donated $10 and downloaded the PDF (apparently I could have just downloaded the PDF first, but again it was for a good cause. :D)

Batshit. Crazy. Awesome.

It's like if D&D was made by going "How can we make this more awesomely ridiculous?" every step of the way. The game is pushed to eleven in the area of just accomplishing ridiculously big and amazing stuff, like running around with fast healing and whirlwind attacks at level 3.

Feats are done awesomely (they just give you something cool, and often big, instead of minor effects) the class track system is neat, as is multiclassing through it, plus racial tracks. I love how they handle items, giving you a limited amount of items with awesome powers, in addition to being able to replace 90% of your item use with ANOTHER track, giving you four tracks instead of 3. Combined with racial tracks and multiclassing, you can make some crazy shit with that with those 3 to 4 options. There's even a bunch of tracks that are independant of class, just to give you even more options.

Monster design is kinda cool, though it suffers from not having a bunch of premades. (You basically make monsters the same way you do as PC's, typically picking a racial track and a class) so while you can make neat stuff with it, it's a little harder to just whip something out on the fly.

Definitely recommend taking a look at this, at least while you can look for free. Or just buy it, it's for a good cause and the more people donate, the more bonus content is released! Every $250 donated gets the "free look" date pushed back two days, so be sure to check it out while you can!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Personally I think the MC system is perfect. 3.X's MC system was terrible in my mind because anything beyond MCing between two classes and you lost a lot over the course of the game (but the system was still set up to facilitate and even promote MCing between 3+ classes). Legend's MC system feels more like a better implementation of what 4e was trying to accomplish, by using MC to allow you to "minor" or "crosstrain" into another class, and it does it perfectly.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I bought this and I like it quite a bit. I actually find the stylistic choices a bit refreshing but then I'm taking everything with a grain of salt since they named their imprint off of fucking TvTropes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Several feats too.

• Options
    Yeah, so like the "on a pale horse" feat not having a literally appropriate name doesn't bother me. It is clearly a reference to the horse of death, aka Binky.

When I read the concept section and it had "Wizzard who constantly runs away" I had to go back and up my contribution by 10 bucks.

• Options
    I feel like the game indulges in its absurdity and audacity, all while presenting a legitimately balanced set of mechanical systems. The conditions feel a bit like a vocabulary lesson, and I'd be alright with it being shorter, but it's decent.

They've struck a pretty good balance between 3.X's exhaustiveness and 4e's conciseness. I feel like this is a good middle-of-the-road approach.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Man, gettin me all excited to read this when I get home.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    So I missed this the first time around, and only found out because it was pointed out in the D&D thread thankfully.

I'll be running a playtest on the forum here, I believe I already am full up on interest for players, it will be a quick silly romp.

Stay tuned~

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    JakeKurzerJakeKurzer Registered User regular
    Hi! I'm Legend's creative lead, and I'll be doing the whole thing where I answer questions if you ask them. Seems just, after all.

• Options
    JakeKurzer wrote:
    Hi! I'm Legend's creative lead, and I'll be doing the whole thing where I answer questions if you ask them. Seems just, after all.

Question!
    Why didn't Wizards just hire you guys to begin with?

Seriously, it looks like a great game. Honest question: Do you folks have any plans for major distribution, or a schedule of when a final product will be available for sale (if the full book(s) are already for sale, I missed that).

• Options
    Tox wrote:
    JakeKurzer wrote:

Question!
    Why didn't Wizards just hire you guys to begin with?

Seriously, it looks like a great game. Honest question: Do you folks have any plans for major distribution, or a schedule of when a final product will be available for sale (if the full book(s) are already for sale, I missed that).

Well, basically until Legend, I'd never designed anything at a professional level before. In many ways, working for Wizards on D&D is akin to working on core map/reduce infrastructure for Google, as they represent something of an apogee for a career.

We'll eventually work something out with DTR or RPGNow, and we expect to leave Beta for RC1 by early February, and commit to a 1.0 around mid March. At the moment, the full(ish) book is what's available.

• Options
    The full(ish) book being what's available on the website?

Hmm, guess I'll run through the other random questions

Looking for playtesters?

At all interested in user-developed content?

Any ideas on things you want to add to the game with future products (like a race or class that you guys want to do but feel needs more development time)?

• Options
    We're committed to quite a lot of material, as a result of donation incentives. On top of that, there's quite a lot of DLC planned. We love playtesters, as a result.

User-developed content is a thing we love, and some of it has already ascended to canon-status. There's even a conversion of the famous Red Hand Of Doom module in the works.

Combat Alchemist has been under works for a while now, so that counts.

• Options
    So is the core book basically "done" as far as content? I feel like 6 races and 8 classes is a bit slim. Granted, comparable games don't have that many more of either (4e released with 8 of each, IIRC).

• Options
    We're releasing four more races pretty soon, and we technically also have races for dragons, robots, undead, and the ilk as well. Those double as classes, so I think that the actual-number of Legend classes is a lot higher than appearances would suggest.

• Options
    Fair point.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the mechanics as far as multiclassing and all that. Just gotta read through it enough times (while not distracted by other things).

• Options
    Not to crap on the PA forums, or shoo you away or anything, but are there any plans for an official Legend forum?

Also, in the bonus Legendary ability article, there's a power (Summoner) that lets you summon a single minion at a level lower than you. Is this the same kind of minion as the later Legendary Power, "Minions" or is it a minion in the style from the Mooks bonus article?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Tox wrote:
    Fair point.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the mechanics as far as multiclassing and all that. Just gotta read through it enough times (while not distracted by other things).

Basically you get 3 slots for ability tracks medium slow and fast. Each class has default tracks in those three slots.

When you multi-class you choose one of those slots and replace it with a track from another class. The new ability progression is then at the same rate as the replaced track even if it is different from the new one.

Special races choose a track to replace with their racial track and have attack and defense abilities chosen by race not class, but they still chose a base class.

For example you could replace the medium pace Rage power of a barbarian with the slow paced Bag of Tricks from the Tactician. Bag of Tricks would then progress at the medium pace.

At a higher level you could use a feat to even triple class by replacing another ability slot.

As a note though that would fundamentally change the barbarian class.

Also you can give up magical item progression to get a fourth slot if you do not want to give up any powers.

I think these are valid player characters:

Orc Barbarian-Sage
    Orc Barbarian-Sage

Level 1

KOM (Str) +4
    KDM (Con) +2
    Hitpoints 12

str 18 (16) (+4)
    dex 14 (+2)
    con 14 (12) (+2)
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Cha 12 (14) (+1)

Path of Rage (Medium)
    Rage +2 str +2 Max hps -1 armor +1 fort/will Lasts 5 rounds

Arcane Lore (Slow)
    Black Tidings (level 2) 1d4+4 damage in two shapes

Path of the Ancestors (Fast)
    Lesser Resillience +1 healing from others

Feats
    To Iron Married(Racial) Critical strike on 18, 19, 20
    And My Axe: Bonus damage with Axes

Abilities
    Darkvision
    +1 to Athletics(Racial)

Skills
    Intimidate (Cha) 1+1=2
    History (Int) 1
    Ride (Dex) 1+2=3
    Athletics (Str) 1+1 +4=6
    Nature (Int) 1

Items
    Heavy Armor +2 armor -1 reflex
    Shield +1 armor
    Battleaxe 1d8+4 damage
    Shortbow 1d8+4 damage

Lesser Items
    Trained Riding Wolf (Negotiated with GM, bonus movement?)

Silver Dragon
    Dragon Rogue-Tactician

Level 1

Str 14
    Dex14
    Con 10
    Int 12
    Wis10
    Cha 16

KOM (Str) +2
    KDM (Cha) +3
    Hit Points 10

Esoteric Radica (fast)
    Playing it right: bonus to bluff and stealth

Spellcasting (Tactician) (medium)
    Cast 1st circle spells

Fortune's Friend (slow)
    A little to the left: avoid death blow once per encounter (level 2)

Dragon (medium)
    Agility- Wings of War, Natural Weapons 2d6+2

Special Abilties
    Silver Dragon
    Darkvision

Feats
    Wings of War - Flight at normal movement speed
    The Earth Cracks - Tremmorsense
    Deft Strike - Larceny check to ignore damage reduction

Skills
    Bluff 1+3=4 (+10)
    Arcane 1+1=2
    Stealth 1+2=3 (+10)
    Larceny 1+2=3
    Acrobatics 1+2=3

Items
    Light armor +1
    Natural weapons 2d6+2 damage

And for some reason a Skeletal Champion Paladin using Cold Elemental attacks.
    Skeletal Champion Undead Paladin-Cold Elementalist

Level 1

KOM Str +3
    KDM Dex +1

Str 16
    Dex 12
    Con 12
    Int 10
    Wis 16
    Car 10

Protection: The seven Circles of Bastion(Medium)
    The Shield - Any beneficial spells effect effect all allies within 10 feet

Undead (Skeleton Champion) (slow)
    Consumption - On a Pale Horse - Fear checks from deathblows (level 2)

Judgement(fast)
    The Knowing

Elementalist (Cold) (Wis) (Medium)
    Elemental Burst 1d6+3 cold damage t a 5ft square at [close] range

Feats
    Skeleton Champion - Bonus to attack and defense with swords
    Master of Swordplay - Use the feat Simply Smashing with a sword

Skills
    Perception (Wis) 3
    History (Int) 1
    Athletics (Str) 4
    Arcana (Int) 1
    Riding (Dex) 2

Items
    Heavy Armor +2 armor -1 fortitude
    Greatsword
    Longsword
    Tower Shield
    Longbow
    Skeletal Steed (normal horse)

That last one is terrible since healing effects will damage him while healing living allies. But whatever.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Yeah pretty much loving this game.

I'm toying with Full Buy-in and Multiclassing. As I understand it, if you're MC'd from the start, you can use Full Buy-In to gain a track from your MC'd class. Is that correct? I'm using this concept to toy with effectively dual-classed characters. Trying to see how I like the combinations.

Or I could just play a Paladin MC-Sage with Full Buy-In Vigilante. Magically summoned sword and armor!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This is interesting, and I think it could replace Pathfinder for me (I've not finished reading it yet) but it could really have used another editor. The formatting is sloppy and some concepts are very poorly explained (like tracks, no just what they are but presenting which are the default ones for a class). There should've been a table or something to quickly present the information at the start of each class entry.

The more powerful races being balanced by use of the tracks is a clever idea, but there's inelegant about how it's done. It might just be the race determining the attack and defence stats, which is just odd as I don't see what it achieves other than muddying the waters between class and race a bit more than was necessary.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I like the simplicity of the powerful races = multiclassing.

I agree that it still could use some work in explanations and presentation. While I don't recall running into anything yet that was "okay, this is just vague/inconsistent" there are some parts that aren't rock solid. Things like "okay, I am pretty sure I know what they mean but..."

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    There's a few things where it seems like you need to read a few different sections to get a firm grasp of what's going on (like Full Buy-In, for instance), but it feels like most of the information is there, if a bit scattered.

I'm really not sure how to feel about the racial MC tracks. On the one hand it's very interesting, but on the other hand it can be a bit confusing.

Also I'm not sure I love the core setting, but it's definitely interesting and unique.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    This is interesting, and I think it could replace Pathfinder for me (I've not finished reading it yet) but it could really have used another editor.

According to the developer who posted above, it's still not finished yet. Sounds like they're aiming at March for a finalized version.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    This is interesting, and I think it could replace Pathfinder for me (I've not finished reading it yet) but it could really have used another editor. The formatting is sloppy and some concepts are very poorly explained (like tracks, no just what they are but presenting which are the default ones for a class). There should've been a table or something to quickly present the information at the start of each class entry.

The more powerful races being balanced by use of the tracks is a clever idea, but there's inelegant about how it's done. It might just be the race determining the attack and defence stats, which is just odd as I don't see what it achieves other than muddying the waters between class and race a bit more than was necessary.

We just brought two more editors on board, actually, and we're adding a master table for the idea of tracks. Race-as-class isn't really necessary, but it does win us a lot of the monster books. By marrying multiple sets of racial stats to a single racial track, we can define whole families of monsters. It's really worth it.

Could I get some page examples of what you found unclear so we can zero in on this?

Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    This is interesting, and I think it could replace Pathfinder for me (I've not finished reading it yet) but it could really have used another editor.

According to the developer who posted above, it's still not finished yet. Sounds like they're aiming at March for a finalized version.

That's accurate.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Not to crap on the PA forums, or shoo you away or anything, but are there any plans for an official Legend forum?

Also, in the bonus Legendary ability article, there's a power (Summoner) that lets you summon a single minion at a level lower than you. Is this the same kind of minion as the later Legendary Power, "Minions" or is it a minion in the style from the Mooks bonus article?

Another question that came up during character design: The Legendary ability "Indestructable" says it halves all damage taken: is that before or after Damage Reduction? DR says "when you would take damage from a physical or untyped source, it is reduced by a specific amount" while the Legendary ability says "You take half damage from any non-elemental source" so which do you apply first?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Another question that came up during character design: The Legendary ability "Indestructable" says it halves all damage taken: is that before or after Damage Reduction? DR says "when you would take damage from a physical or untyped source, it is reduced by a specific amount" while the Legendary ability says "You take half damage from any non-elemental source" so which do you apply first?

We are working on it, I'm just not terribly happy with the design of modern-day forums.
    It's a Mook.
    Oof, we don't seem to have a formalized precedence here for operations, which is super bad. As it sits, DR gets applied after, which leads to many Indestructibles being just that. I'll have to do some math, but I think maybe is not so great.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Cool, thanks for the answers.

The donation counter doesn't seem to have been updated for awhile: I hope it's a glitch and not a result of people not donating. :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the answers.

The donation counter doesn't seem to have been updated for awhile: I hope it's a glitch and not a result of people not donating. :(
    No, chip-in's just a terrible piece of unmaintained trash. If I ever have to use it again, I'll weep. Clear your browser's cache and refresh.

• Options
    Well as long as your here let me say "thanks", this is the first really interesting take I've seen on 3.5 in quite some time. You did a lot of things to "modernize" it while it still feels quite a bit like 3.5.

Well, from what I've read so far. Now I just have to play this thing somehow.

• Options
    Well as long as your here let me say "thanks", this is the first really interesting take I've seen on 3.5 in quite some time. You did a lot of things to "modernize" it while it still feels quite a bit like 3.5.

Well, from what I've read so far. Now I just have to play this thing somehow.

From response to my quick offer, I have you, @Undead Scottsman, @Silas Brown, @Tox and @Solar so when I put up a thread it will be your opportunity first.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I might actually do that, though I've never done a PbF before. I'm guessing my schedule will interfere though, but we'll see. Have pretty good character concept though, dependent on whether or not I can nab Elemental as a Full Buy-In :D But enough of that. :D

EDIT: Here's another question I noticed, for the Consumable Item Gloss Armor, it says it gives you 2 damage reduction per "circle you possess". Is that supposed to be per level of circle, or per total circles? Because a full buy-in character would wind up with more damage reduction than an item-using character.

EDIT2: I guess 2-14 extra damage reduction isn't giantly huge if you're already getting 6-42.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man, I didn't think so many people would jump on this when I posted it.

@JakeKurzer: I noticed in the multiclassing section it said that certain tracks cannot be traded for multiclassing, but I didn't see a list of forbidden tracks anywhere. Also on the point of multiclassing, are you able to swap multiple tracks? As in I make a Paladin, swap out Dedication for Battle's Tempering and replace Oaths for Path of the Ancestors?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I can't play with Undead Scottsman. He's a filthy fucking Alaskan.

• Options
    I can't play with Undead Scottsman. He's a filthy fucking Alaskan.
    I didn't vote for Palin either time I could (Governor and VP), if that helps. :D

Plus being an Alaskan is it's own punishment. It's -9 with the windchill at the moment.