SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Look at this

ZSfVB.jpg

the cover is reversible

What a cool thing to do.

If I worked in a game store, I'd flip half the shelf copies to balance things.

that would require you to break the plastic wrap which in turn would make it possible for some uncouth individuals to copy the codes within!
    An unwise financial move, good sah!
    Or, you work at Gamestop.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Look at this

ZSfVB.jpg

the cover is reversible

What a cool thing to do.

that would require you to break the plastic wrap which in turn would make it possible for some uncouth individuals to copy the codes within!

Wait. How do things work in America?

In the UK, the only things on shelves are empty game cases. You take that to the counter to buy and the clerk gets a sealed packet out of a drawer beneath the counter to replace it. That way, there's nothing actually on the shelves worth stealing. It's just there for display.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That is done here, most notably at Gamefail.

People don't like it much because Gamestop is in the habit of selling already opened software, even if it has been sold and returned, as new.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    That's how it works in US and Canadian Gamestop/EB Games locations. At the big box consumer electronics retailers though the ones on the shelves are the ones you get.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Look at this

ZSfVB.jpg

the cover is reversible

What a cool thing to do.

Wait. How do things work in America?

In the UK, the only things on shelves are empty game cases. You take that to the counter to buy and the clerk gets a sealed packet out of a drawer beneath the counter to replace it. That way, there's nothing actually on the shelves worth stealing. It's just there for display.

well here in germany they put the cases right onto the shelf in it's plastic wrapping.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Didn't someone make a post talking about people actually bitching about the reversible cover? Or was that comment made ironically?

Back on renegade/paragon though. The interrupts are my favorite thing. I pretty much play paragon exclusively. Except for interrupts, they are just make Shepard so awesome. Except for the Mouse interrupt, that one made me feel like such a douche the first time I did it that I had to reload.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I went ahead and installed origin and played the Kingdoms of Amalur demo. Boy was that demo short. To unlock the ME3 gun you're expected to play for 40 minutes but the content is like 15 minutes. I ended up leaving the computer to watch an episode of Batman TAs on my Iphone to pass the time. At least the got the ME3 freebies.

Now to wait until March 8, though I'll probably put off playing until the 10th. Damn you school!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Talk to me about this Kingdoms of Amalur demo and specifically how it unlocks ME3 content. Is it worth my time?

• Options
    Talk to me about this Kingdoms of Amalur demo and specifically how it unlocks ME3 content. Is it worth my time?

Reckoner Armor, makes you beefier and shoot harder!
    472px-Reckoner_Knight_Armor.png

Chakram Launcher, from what I can tell it's an AR with explosive rounds!
    753px-Chakram_Launcher.png

you decide, brosef!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    You first get the ME3 armor for launching the demo and the gun after about 40 minutes into the game, at which point demo ends. Once the demo let's you play your character you don't actually have to do anything. Just leave the computer and come back around 40 minutes.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Don't forget, the chakram launcher was designed by Todd McFarland.

Maybe the armor too by the look of it...

Wish I could use that armor in Multi for my soldier. I'd totally punch things harder.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Heatwave wrote: »
    You first get the ME3 armor for launching the demo and the gun after about 40 minutes into the game, at which point demo ends. Once the demo let's you play your character you don't actually have to do anything. Just leave the computer and come back around 40 minutes.

To clarify, you have to play through the intro area until the game tells you that you have 45 minutes of free play. A message pops up when there are twenty minutes left that pauses the game that you will have to click.

wilting on
  • Options
    So. Download the Amalur demo?

Play 15 minutes of introductory section.

Leave game idle for 25 minutes.

Click pop up message.

Leave for another 20 minutes.

Receive two items in Mass Effect 3?

No hidden catches, no sign ups or anything? Just grab the demo through Origin and do that?

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Reckoner Armor, makes you beefier and shoot harder!
    472px-Reckoner_Knight_Armor.png

you decide, brosef!
    As a corollary, the KoA demo is actually kind of fun. You do need to "finish" it, though, which means letting a 45-minute timer run out. If you wanted the ME3 gear but don't like KoA, you could always finish the intro section (which is short) and then when you get to the "free play" part just walk away for a bit. You'll want to come back after 25 minutes or so, because there will be a pop-up telling you that you only have 20 minutes left. Come back 20 minutes later and the ME3 stuff will be unlocked.

edit - aaaand wilting beat me to it.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Scarab, stop talking about it and do it.

wilting on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Or you could just play the game. It's not bad.
    Yeah, I enjoyed it. There was a bit too much of "you'll have to wait until the full game to actually finish X quest", and I didn't finish the quest-chain I was on before the timer ran out, but I had fun nonetheless.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So this game is coming out soon, huh? I didn't even realize. I waited for each of the previous releases for months and this one just drops down out of the sky.

I should be more excited, I think. But I'll get there.

• Options
    So this game is coming out soon, huh? I didn't even realize. I waited for each of the previous releases for months and this one just drops down out of the sky.

I should be more excited, I think. But I'll get there.

hahaha*snort*aaaahahahaha!

• Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular

I unlocked this weapon last night, and I only just noticed it has a standard barrel and an Omni-Chakram mounted in a launch mechanism above said barrel.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The cool thing about omni tools and such is that the mass effect relays were purposely left around by the reapers so that we'd evolve and develop our technology along very specific lines that the reapers could then exploit. I expect many of our weapons will end up being kinda useless against the reaper fleets.

The place you get the IFF is from a reaper that got hit with a cannon so big it also created a crater so big in a nearby planet that it's called the "great rift". I expect we'll get one of those or something.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    The cool thing about omni tools and such is that the mass effect relays were purposely left around by the reapers so that we'd evolve and develop our technology along very specific lines that the reapers could then exploit. I expect many of our weapons will end up being kinda useless against the reaper fleets.

The place you get the IFF is from a reaper that got hit with a cannon so big it also created a crater so big in a nearby planet that it's called the "great rift". I expect we'll get one of those or something.

In ME2 they mention they found the weapon and the target. I hope in ME3 the weapon is repaired. Even if we only get one shot...

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote:

In ME2 they mention they found the weapon and the target. I hope in ME3 the weapon is repaired. Even if we only get one shot...
    It was found by Cerberus though. I imagine it firing as well as Wile E. Coyote's weapons.

sig.gif
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DON'T FORGET ABOUT NAVIGATOR PRESSLY YOU FUCKS

Pressly hated aliens

aliens killed him for it

also computers, computers also killed him, though possibly for their own reasons

Pressley hated aliens getting free reign on a classified Alliance Navy vessel. He then tells Shep, "You're the CO. If you're OK with it, so am I."

He'll always have the deck and the memorial was placed where his datapad fell. Suck it haters. Better be a plaque on the Normandy.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    jefe414 wrote: »
    DON'T FORGET ABOUT NAVIGATOR PRESSLY YOU FUCKS

Pressly hated aliens

aliens killed him for it

also computers, computers also killed him, though possibly for their own reasons

Pressley hated aliens getting free reign on a classified Alliance Navy vessel. He then tells Shep, "You're the CO. If you're OK with it, so am I."

He'll always have the deck and the memorial was placed where his datapad fell. Suck it haters. Better be a plaque on the Normandy.

I'll be honest, the first time I read Pressley's journal I thought it was Ashley's because he didn't really seem racist to me in ME1. But his journals start off pretty bad on that front.

I'm glad he came around.

And then he almost immediately died.

Also, anyone else think its really fucking weird that the Turians helped the alliance with the Normandy and then... nothing. None of them are on-board. I would have liked some dedicated Turian military types in the first game, maybe an asshole navigator to annoy Joker or someone who could annoy Pressley and then go on to be bros with him before they both died.

It would have helped reinforce that working together is pretty cool.

Z0re on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    But how would we tell the aliens from the animals if they were part of the normandy crew?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Lemming wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    Ad astra wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Wow, Renegade Shepard in ME1 is more of an ignorant douchebag than an intelligent hardass isn't he? Now I remember why I played him neutral early on.

It seems to me that the renegade path in both games varies wildly. Some choices make you hardass who has no time for bullshit. And other choices make you a petty, sociopath, dick.

Paragon seems more even to me.

Paragon has weird moments too.

Like Shadow Broker. Or when you stop being a good guy and decide to be a moralizing asshole to Mordin or Thane.

But, by and large it doesn't have the swing from Jack Bauer to Batman to Racist Psychopath that Renegade does.

It was pretty funny in the first game when there was a woman who was arguing with her brother in law about some kind of treatments for her unborn baby. The Paragon option was FUCK YOU LADY YOU CLEARLY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS BEST TO DO TO YOUR BODY AND YOUR BABY, LET THE MAN MAKE THE DECISION ON THIS ONE BECAUSE YOU ARE CLEARLY IRRATIONAL. That was pretty dick.

I don't remember the tone being like that at all. Anyone want to boot up a new game and see?

Paragon lines were like, "What is the possibility of this gene therapy failing?" "really low percent" "and what is possibility that the kid will die of the genetic disease he carries?" "really high percent." "Well for what it's worth I think you should get the gene therapy." "Who are you, anyway? I don't even know you!"

The whole thing was kinda silly, but I didn't think Paragon was being a bitch about it or anything. Though it was a bit much for her to have butted in to a private conversation at all.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Well I don't mean the journal. In ME1 you can have a conversation about it right off the bat (well, once you're in command of the Normandy). He's a professional officer. More than I can say for a certain soldier recruited on Eden Prime...

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Well I don't mean the journal. In ME1 you can have a conversation about it right off the bat (well, once you're in command of the Normandy). He's a professional officer. More than I can say for a certain soldier recruited on Eden Prime...

Yeah, I know, that's why his journal was so surprising for me.

Like finding out a childhood friend is secretly racist and then got over it before he was killed.

Just a sort of weird feeling. He always seemed pretty cool and professional in ME1 at the least.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    But...you have pretty much the same exact conversation with that officer on Eden Prime.

And she falls in line in the same exact way.

>_>...I think sometimes I'm the only one who remembers the events of the first game properly.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You mean when Williams personally oversaw the murder of a thousand Turian babies on Eden Prime?

I think that's how it happened.

I may be mistaken.

There was something about a factory worker and dead Turians everywhere so I'm assuming she had something to do with it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Why are we not calling her Ashley?

My main Shepard is a Soldier. Ashley died because she's redundant. Nothing to do with her being racist for two missions.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    But...you have pretty much the same exact conversation with that officer on Eden Prime.

And she falls in line in the same exact way.

>_>...I think sometimes I'm the only one who remembers the events of the first game properly.

The Alien and Animals line and the super unprofessional freakout about Liara come later though. What the hell kind of subordinate says this to their Commander? Publicly? Ashley is way the hell out of line here and not exactly diplomatic in other places.

So... I guess she doesn't really fall in line.

She should have been Court Martialed. And thats not even getting into why the hell we dragged along a grunt from a backwater planet anyways.

I mean, she blames her situation on people hating her Grandfather. I blame it on her ridiculous persecution complex about... everything and the fact she is about as tactful as a brick.

Z0re on
  • Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Court Martialed? for a throw away line? and liara was related to the enemy, she could of been a blonde hair humen and she would of trash her/him.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Because people making offhand comments means they're unprofessional, yeah.

As for the Liara "freakout", true, she should have kept her mouth shut. That being said, she was completely right. In the real world right now, bringing people to do things where they are emotionally invested in the people involved is a big no-no. Because it might complicate things.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    Court Martialed? for a throw away line? and liara was related to the enemy, she could of been a blonde hair humen and she would of trash her/him.

You do not do that in public to your commanding officer. Thats insubordination and frankly ridiculous insubordination considering she will do it if you speak to Liara a single time. You can literally learn she is an Archeologist and Ashley comes up and starts talking about how much you want to bang her because you're tired of the local flavor. It is ridiculously over the line.

I know Shepard is pretty lenient, but come on. Ashley and Kaiden both say some ridiculous things considering they're in a military but that would be out of line no matter the situation and she should have been dressed down for it at the very least.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Z0re wrote: »
    Cyrondin wrote: »

You do not do that in public to your commanding officer. Thats insubordination and frankly ridiculous insubordination considering she will do it if you speak to Liara a single time. You can literally learn she is an Archeologist and Ashley comes up and starts talking about how much you want to bang her because you're tired of the local flavor. It is ridiculously over the line.

I know Shepard is pretty lenient, but come on. Ashley and Kaiden both say some ridiculous things considering they're in a military but that would be out of line no matter the situation and she should have been dressed down for it at the very least.

Have you forgotten that...Shepard initiates most of these conversations? In a casual manner?

And for some of them you basically have to push to get them?

Kaiden pretty much tells you he doesn't want to talk about stuff until you pry into his business.

And only the most tight-cheeked officer is going to court-martial someone because they said something mean.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    When does she say these things in public? I just played the game last week and I don't remember her busting into a conversation I was having with someone else or anything like that. She mentions her reservations when you go talk to her in private. Shepard is asking to hear her opinion on how things are going and she gives it. I fail to see the issue.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Anything objectionable Ashley and Kaidan say happens during private conversations with Shepard. And while the “animals and aliens” might offend your delicate sensibilities, it’s really not that big of a deal by the standards of the kind of shit soldiers say.

There’s also a good chance that Shepard has previously encouraged Ash/Kaidan to speak freely.

Further, they have both volunteered to stick with Shepard, even though much of his/her behaviour is motivated by VISIONS. So I would think they can be cut a bit of slack.

If anyone should be dressed down, court martialed and sent home for evaluation, it’s Shepard, who spends much of ME1 sounding every bit as insane as the people s/he is trying to stop. That Shepard happens to be right is incidental.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    mjekmjek Registered User regular
    The fact that Ashley's tirade is unprofessional is exactly why Shepard, nor any other experience officer, would make it official. That kind of response for something so relatively small would do nothing but cause tension between those who agreed with her and those who didn't- severely impacting morale and efficiency. At the same time, taking her views into an official forum would lend those views credence while ignoring it makes it clear that it's so ridiculous as to be beneath concern.

There's a saying about command: Praise in public; punish in private.

Personally, I liked that Bioware wrote a character who didn't follow the sci-fi convention that when humans meet aliens, they will either love them or be Space Hitler. Ashley starts off as neutral on aliens- just like most aliens start off neutral or hostile to humans. Besides, she does change over the course of the game regardless of Shep's opinion- note how she acts after Noveria in regards to Liara.