As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I did the same.

Began to wonder if the helmet and cape was going to be included in the training kit.

I'm more interested in the possibility of a hot shape shifting female assistant.

Where do I apply?

As soon as you look like Rebecca Romijn or Jennifer Lawrence, please apply in person at Hunter's Penis Inc.

Just give me an address and I'm there

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I did the same.

Began to wonder if the helmet and cape was going to be included in the training kit.

I'm more interested in the possibility of a hot shape shifting female assistant.

Where do I apply?

As soon as you look like Rebecca Romijn or Jennifer Lawrence, please apply in person at Hunter's Penis Inc.

It's at the intersection of Balls Street and Taint Avenue.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

That's you I meet with every Saturday night?

• Options
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

Come on Keith, you know I would never nail a soulless ginger like you.

• Options
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

No, see, since I don't have a soul it's not a sin in the eyes of the Catholic church

I'm your loophole

and other holes

• Options
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

No, see, since I don't have a soul it's not a sin in the eyes of the Catholic church

I'm your loophole

and other holes

Sorry Opie, Jesus doesn't mind gays, but gingers are unacceptable.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm and @Smart Hero

My first recommendation for the very basics is W3 Schools SQL Tutorials. They cover a lot of the basics.

To mess around with database queries and stuff, you can get SQL Server Express from Microsoft for free here.

Another thing to consider is what kind of database you're going to be querying. Although SQL is SQL, things can change whether you're using a SQL Server database or an Oracle one. We use both at my current client.

Both of you feel free to ask me any database-related questions. I'm not a certified DBA or anything, but I do a lot of database work, especially SQL Server related.

Thanks @JoeUser!

Ours is a SQL Server db. I've monkied around in SQL Management Studio 2008 and know how to do a couple things, but complex joins and updates and stuff are where I'm wanting to learn more about. Mostly so I can learn to use things like SQL Server Reporting Services and Crystal Reports to come up with some useful BI reporting and whatnot, which isn't immediately DB related, but I figure if I can get down the basics of coming up with sensible queries the reporting part will be easier.

I am a SQL Server Reporting Services ... well maybe not expert, but I have done a ton of stuff with it, if you have questions about that as well.

<3

• Options
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

I'm your loophole

and other holes

I'll dye my hair and get a spray tan

for you

• Options
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

I'm your loophole

and other holes

for you

You can't magic away your gingerness Ron Weasley.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

I'm your loophole

and other holes

for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-HKxvAr7E

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    I did the same.

Where do I apply?

I'm your loophole

and other holes

for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-HKxvAr7E

I'm not a ho in the sense of havin' a pussy

But a pussy havin no goddamned sense

try and push me

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Status : Failure -Test failed: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

grrr

but i can ping the server just fine

could there be something wrong with my program

poo
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    Deicist wrote: »
    So, my new employer are paying for me to go on a Magento training course. In Brussels.

Score!

Nice dude - I'm hoping I can get my Magento certification soon now that our company has slowed down on the consulting work and I have a bit more time. Of course, since we're doing less consulting it's not really as necessary, but it would still be nice to have, especially if I end up having to look for a job in Canada eventually.

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    dear fucking god if I see one more void* in this stupid fucking program

• Options
    also sun studio can choke on fifty dicks and die

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Thanks @JoeUser!

Ours is a SQL Server db. I've monkied around in SQL Management Studio 2008 and know how to do a couple things, but complex joins and updates and stuff are where I'm wanting to learn more about. Mostly so I can learn to use things like SQL Server Reporting Services and Crystal Reports to come up with some useful BI reporting and whatnot, which isn't immediately DB related, but I figure if I can get down the basics of coming up with sensible queries the reporting part will be easier.

Hey, that's what I do! Crystal, Cognos, SQL, BI blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Feel free to ping me for questions too!

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I thiiiiink my interview went ok?
    Should hear back later today or Monday.

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Ten wrote: »
    So, my new employer are paying for me to go on a Magento training course. In Brussels.

Score!

Nice dude - I'm hoping I can get my Magento certification soon now that our company has slowed down on the consulting work and I have a bit more time. Of course, since we're doing less consulting it's not really as necessary, but it would still be nice to have, especially if I end up having to look for a job in Canada eventually.

oh snap
    place I just interviewed with uses magento!
    :o

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Also, job thread, anyone know anything about Hadoop?

Seems like most jobs I'm looking at in the bay area are all about this now.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    skettios wrote:
    Ten wrote: »

Score!

oh snap
    place I just interviewed with uses magento!
    :o

It's the fastest growing eCommerce platform at the moment, and has been our bread and butter the past few years - dealing with clients is a headache though so we're going to start focusing on the stores that we run and trying to grow them, which will be a nice change. It will be good to put my expertise to use on something that will actually grow the company and bring in some regular money.

Ten on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So camp is officially done.

Today we took the kids to the Museum of Flight and things got serious. Several kids had mental breakdowns, a couple others soiled themselves. One girl vomited all over herself and than tried to hug people (resulting in one counseling running to the bathroom to vomit themselves). Two of the teenagers snuck off to make-out. And to top it all off one kid went into the bathroom, took a shit and than used his shirt as toilet paper (resulting in a male counselor having to donate their shirt to the child).

Tonight I am going to get hammered watching Jurassic Park than play the Jurassic Park video game as drunk as possible.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Zonugal, please tell me you and the people you work with are making some serious money?

'cause man, those sound like some awful working conditions.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I pull in $14.50 an hour and get around 35 hours a week.

But this isn't my typical work week, this is our special camp for when the schools are out for breaks.

• Options
    But this week has been my Vietnam.

• Options
    @Fyndir, you are pretty right about our working conditions being awful.

During my typical work at schools and such I am technically not allowed/provided a break or lunch for the entire 7-9 hours I work because I am "on-call."

Yeah...

• Options
    Zonugal wrote:
    I pull in $14.50 an hour and get around 35 hours a week.

But this isn't my typical work week, this is our special camp for when the schools are out for breaks.

I guess it's more than you'd get flipping burgers or something, but I dunno if I could keep it up with that kind of stuff.

More power to you if you can power through the harder times of the job to do something really special and worthwhile for those kids though.

• Options
    Ahaha yeah.

I'm going to tell my boss next time we do a camp that I'm not doing it, I just can't do it.

• Options
    Easily the worst part of the job is how bitter and hateful you get towards special needs children. I mean it isn't their fault, but the attrition eventually wears you down.

And you just want to beat them.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Ahaha yeah.

I'm going to tell my boss next time we do a camp that I'm not doing it, I just can't do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExuC4mAplkU

• Options
    oh dear god there is a reinterpret_cast in this code

kill me

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Easily the worst part of the job is how bitter and hateful you get towards special needs children. I mean it isn't their fault, but the attrition eventually wears you down.

And you just want to beat them.

beat them

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Ledneh wrote: »
    oh dear god there is a reinterpret_cast in this code

kill me

pointing and laughing

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    One of these days I'm going to see a legitimate, necessary, real-world use for reinterpret_cast and I will have a stroke and die

• Options
    Ledneh wrote:
    One of these days I'm going to see a legitimate, necessary, real-world use for reinterpret_cast and I will have a stroke and die

I hear that's what happened to Stale.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

Now I'm actually curious

(edit)
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote:

Stale can't die, he's too rare! it's right there, man

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote:

actually that was my joke...

you see reinterpret_cast is generally used to convert pointers.......

"pointing and laughing?" get it??

aaaaaaaaaand I'm that guy

fuck

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaand I'm that guy

fuck

deal

• Options
    ahaha god damnit that flew right over my head despite staring at fucking pointers and purify memory reports all day

can i go home now

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

Now I'm actually curious

No, because at level you wouldn't be using C++ anyway.

Edit: to clarify I'm a C guy so I had to look up what this "reinterpret_cast" crap is.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    oh yeah

good, now i have all the excuse I need to ream whoever wrote this when I find him

(48 hours later, I come to work with a limp)

This discussion has been closed.