As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Jante [Chat]

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    mindspork wrote:
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Incredibles needs a sequel.

And a Rogue's Gallery.

Really, it needs several sequels. :P

I wanna see them go into the Earth and fight John Ratzenberg. Or whatever that character's name was.

Behold! The Underminerrrrrrrrrrr!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The only thing I really remember from the incredibles is a slightly disheveled Mrs. Incredible wobbling out the door to go to work and getting yanked back inside by Mr. Incredible.

Get down with your bad selves, Incredible Couple.

Oh wait and the fashion designer was good but the no capes stance is kind of out already.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    zeeny wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I really can't decide what I want to read.

What are the options?
    BOOKS. I've got surprising amounts on my eReader but none has tickled my fancy, but I've also got some credit with Waterstones, so I'm looking through their bestsellers now.

I think I want some kind of fantasy, but not a series unless it's finished. I'm also trawling through the SA and D&D book threads.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    haw haw, IRS is requiring people to report exact days of personal use and for fair value use for mixed rental properties

360 Days of personal use. Five days where the Smith Family paid me by check, and 100 days where I got cash. FUCK YOU TAX MAN.

that's not mixed. you need to rent up to 2 weeks for it to start being classified as mixed rental property. hell, you don't even have to pay tax on that rental income.

351 days of personal use?
    IANACPA

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Does anybody in here use XBMC for their media center?

Hi-5 XBMC buddy!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i watched a talk recently about the cruelty of meritocratic ideals, and how the individualism of modern society is crushing to the underclass. that is, we aggressively- in media, via social practices, etc- present the idea that we can all be bill gates with enough desire and skill. so almost all of us embrace that hungrily, because if we're entirely responsible for the nature of our lives, then we own our failures as much as we own that dream of success. western, individualist societies have high rates of suicide and it's theorized that it could be for that reason.

• Options
    desc wrote:
    The only thing I really remember from the incredibles is a slightly disheveled Mrs. Incredible wobbling out the door to go to work and getting yanked back inside by Mr. Incredible.

Oh wait and the fashion designer was good but the no capes stance is kind of out already.

It was the other way around - Mr. Incredible was leaving for work and Mrs. Incredible yanked him back.

Also, Edna Mode was amazing.

"Where am I going to get a new suit?"
    "You can't! It's impossible, I'm far too busy, so ask me now before again I become sane!"
    "You...want to make me a new suit?"
    "You push too hard, Darling, but....I accept!"

• Options
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    Incredibles needs a sequel.

And a Rogue's Gallery.

Really, it needs several sequels. :P

I wanna see them go into the Earth and fight John Ratzenberg. Or whatever that character's name was.

I am amazed it still hasn't seen a sequel. It was one of their best works, it was across the board well received, it had likable family-friendly characters...

I mean I know people have crazy love for Toy Story but man Pixar should have had 2 sequels for the coolest movie.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    its a lot easier to shoot and kill 5 people than to fight 5 people with non-projectile weapons

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I do.
    Pony wrote: »

me

Have you guys gone up to the Eden beta yet? I'm having some little annoyances with Sickbeard and sabnzbd+ not sorting things into the proper folders, and I really want to get a remote control working.

If you've gone up, do yo like the new interface better than the old one?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    yyyyyyeah i'm not doin' this

peace out y'all

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular

What are the options?
    BOOKS. I've got surprising amounts on my eReader but none has tickled my fancy, but I've also got some credit with Waterstones, so I'm looking through their bestsellers now.

I think I want some kind of fantasy, but not a series unless it's finished. I'm also trawling through the SA and D&D book threads.

Fantasy been shitty in the last couple of years;o(

• Options

Hi-5 XBMC buddy!

woooo

Have you gone up to the Eden beta yet?

• Options
    How long should it take to do the CCNA course?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    haw haw, IRS is requiring people to report exact days of personal use and for fair value use for mixed rental properties

360 Days of personal use. Five days where the Smith Family paid me by check, and 100 days where I got cash. FUCK YOU TAX MAN.

that's not mixed. you need to rent up to 2 weeks for it to start being classified as mixed rental property. hell, you don't even have to pay tax on that rental income.

IANACPA
    Property rented less than 15 days. If a property is rented less than 15 days, it's primary function is not considered to be rental and it should not be reported on Schedule E (Form 1040). You are not required to report the rental income and rental expenses from this activity. The expenses, including qualified mortgage interest, property taxes, and any qualified casualty loss will be reported as normally allowed on Schedule A (Form 1040). See the instructions for Schedule A for more information on deducting these expenses.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I never looked at it that way. It's a quicker, much less painful death so that's a +1 to Team Firearms. I rescind my argument.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

What are the options?

Fantasy been shitty in the last couple of years;o(

Have you read The Black Company series?

• Options
    You can take a CCNA course that lasts as little as 5 days, with a refund if you don't pass the test given immediately afterwards. Cost runs to around $4000 including hotel room for the ones I've seen.

• Options
    An effective way of limiting such deaths would simply be to ban carrying around firearms in public.

Murder/suicides happen with or without guns. :/ But rage shootings in the street? Much less likely if no one has a pistol on their hip.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

IANACPA
    Property rented less than 15 days. If a property is rented less than 15 days, it's primary function is not considered to be rental and it should not be reported on Schedule E (Form 1040). You are not required to report the rental income and rental expenses from this activity. The expenses, including qualified mortgage interest, property taxes, and any qualified casualty loss will be reported as normally allowed on Schedule A (Form 1040). See the instructions for Schedule A for more information on deducting these expenses.

Fuck this. Im going Galt.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    You can take a CCNA course that lasts as little as 5 days, with a refund if you don't pass the test given immediately afterwards. Cost runs to around $4000 including hotel room for the ones I've seen.

I wish cert exams were like College Degrees - I would much rather have somebody that said CCNA, 5 years experience in the field than CCNA, Joe's 100% Refund if you don't pass Crash Course

• Options

Hi-5 XBMC buddy!

woooo

Not yet no. My family use my XBMC machines all the time, so people get grouchy when it's down.

• Options
    edited February 2012

IANACPA

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

this is a good thing you nerd

┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)

tyrannus on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Winky's Mongolian horde is going to buurrrrrrrn in the fires of Babylonian brilliance.

Asshole tried to capture a settler during peacetime. Oh, you dun it now!

Oh, @Winky Khan will get his comeuppance. Don't you worry. I was friends with Quebec before he took it over.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    desc wrote:

It was the other way around - Mr. Incredible was leaving for work and Mrs. Incredible yanked him back.

Also, Edna Mode was amazing.

"Where am I going to get a new suit?"
    "You can't! It's impossible, I'm far too busy, so ask me now before again I become sane!"
    "You...want to make me a new suit?"
    "You push too hard, Darling, but....I accept!"

Oh yeah! I remember it was the part where Mr. incredible is getting back into it and working out and getting all Rico Suave.

The fashion designer-mom interaction was great. It was genre-savvy to superheroism but accessible and slipped in a sort of respectful nod to middle-aged appearance anxieties.

The Incredibles as a whole didn't really grab me, but there were some good little moments in there.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    i don't have much of a problem with that, because it's a lot better than "if you try hard enough, you can do anything, no matter what!" which i think is a poisonous attitude

I don't mind that attitude in movies when it actually shows practice. And I don't mean a 30-second montage. I mean more like, "Do [X] every day for 10 years and you'll be good at [X]." Of course, that sort of message doesn't fit into the narrative of most movies.

One of my favorite kid's shows was Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. I loved it when I was a kid (I was all about Henson stuff when I was little) and I went back a few years ago and re-discovered how smart Jim Henson was.

Plot spoilers (for a 30-year-old kids' special, but whatever):
    It's a typical talent show plot, where the main characters are practicing for a big musical competition at the end, and their primary rivals are slick and flashy and wholly unlikeable. But when it gets to the end, they lose. They lose because they've never done a talent show before, and their competition is slick and flashy.

At the very end one of judges comes up to them and says, "Hey, you guys were good. The other guys were better. It happens. But if you want, you can come sing at my restaurant once a week. I can't pay you, but I'll feed you."

The characters get a small reward for having natural talent and the ability to practice and get better. I felt like it was a pretty good message for a kid's show.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    saving those table flipping/righting emoticons to draft.

hey, i think i just figured out a useful feature for the stupid Vanilla save draft thing.

• Options

I wish cert exams were like College Degrees - I would much rather have somebody that said CCNA, 5 years experience in the field than CCNA, Joe's 100% Refund if you don't pass Crash Course

Well, usually the 5 years experience comes first, then they hit a ceiling where they need the damned credentials to get a raise or a promotion... so they knock out the exam in a week and get back to doing their job. Basically you have to judge the quality of the tests at this point... when I was starting out, "Paper MCSE" was a thing people said to criticize your skills. There was the guy who spent two years getting his Microsoft certs, and the guy who spent two years building networks and supporting Windows NT and working in the industry, and you knew which one you wanted to hire. CCNA, though, has always been a challenging test. You can't really bullshit your way through it, and if you don't have experience in the field you're going to be so lost in a 5-day crash course that you'll never pass the exam anyway.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

What are the options?

Just about anything by Patricia McKillip (for good fantasy by someone still writing).

She usually writes standalone novels. Though she has written (and actually finished) at least one excellent trilogy (the Riddlemaster books).

Besides the riddlemaster trilogy "Od Magic" and "Alphabet of Thorns" are really good.

and of course Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel if you haven't read it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    The song being "we are more american" in Spanish probably had a lot to do with it.

How do actual grown people take nationalism seriously?

• Options
    I mean the self-study ones. I was given two huge textbooks by my employer because I requested training in CCNA. Everyone here who is doing the CCNA self-study has been doing it for like at least a year.

I plan to have it done by summer. None of this dragging it out shit.

• Options

IANACPA

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)

I don't even have property, much less a mixed use rental property.
    As such, Im staying ignorantly outraged by this.

THANKS OBAMA

• Options

Hi-5 XBMC buddy!

woooo

Not yet no. My family use my XBMC machines all the time, so people get grouchy when it's down.

I'm tempted to give it a shot this weekend while my wife's away. Do you have a remote control for it? And do you use a scheduler like SickBeard?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    OBAMA

• Options

IANACPA

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)

I don't even have property, much less a mixed use rental property.
    As such, Im staying ignorantly outraged by this.

THANKS OBAMA
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ɹǝsɐqǝǝp

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Well, usually the 5 years experience comes first, then they hit a ceiling where they need the damned credentials to get a raise or a promotion... so they knock out the exam in a week and get back to doing their job. Basically you have to judge the quality of the tests at this point... when I was starting out, "Paper MCSE" was a thing people said to criticize your skills. There was the guy who spent two years getting his Microsoft certs, and the guy who spent two years building networks and supporting Windows NT and working in the industry, and you knew which one you wanted to hire. CCNA, though, has always been a challenging test. You can't really bullshit your way through it, and if you don't have experience in the field you're going to be so lost in a 5-day crash course that you'll never pass the exam anyway.

I hated studying for the CCNA, and that's with experience in the field.

Part of that is because the way Cisco does things is just ass-backwards from the rest of the industry. I can go into a couple of Juniper or Sonicwall firewalls and configure a point to point VPN in about 20 minutes, including routing tables and/or traffic forwarding policies.

Cisco? I need to consult a written guide. I've done it more times than I can remember, yet I still can't do it from memory, because they're just so counterintuitive.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    desc wrote:
    Oh yeah! I remember it was the part where Mr. incredible is getting back into it and working out and getting all Rico Suave.

The fashion designer-mom interaction was great. It was genre-savvy to superheroism but accessible and slipped in a sort of respectful nod to middle-aged appearance anxieties.

The Incredibles as a whole didn't really grab me, but there were some good little moments in there.

"I didn't know the baby's powers so I just covered the basics."
    "Jack-Jack doesn't have any powers."
    "No? Well, he'll look fabulous anyway."

This discussion has been closed.