As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Jante [Chat]

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    But Alfa Romeos have soul and passion.

*clink clink*

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    mindspork wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »

To quote Jeremy Clarkson :

"This is what happens when you let the Italians make the car, and ze Germans make the food, instead of the other way round."

What about Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ducati, etc.

I thought at least Lamborghini and Maserati were owned by Germans now.

And seriously, for all their flash and cost Italian sportscars are pretty notorious for being poorly built. Which is what he was talking about in that episode (it was about the first lambo to be built after Audi bought them and he was remarking that it wasn't just fast but actually a well made car).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So going through some of my research on the Arab Spring for a research paper due in a couple weeks and just ran into this line. And it just makes me grin.
    Robert Fogel's theory of ―technophysio evolution‖ outlines the
    parameters of this effect, using evidence of changing stature among US soldiers in the nineteenth
    century to argue that human nutrition is the thermodynamic engine for human productivity and
    investment (Fogel and Costa 1997).

obnoxious terminology aside, this really screams "failed to properly test for causative direction"

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Read science fiction from the late 60's through the late 70's. Just pick anything and go.

It's got a whole kind of thing that you just don't get post-digital.

I'm reading Norstrilia and it's a gas.

Like sexism m i rite.

You probably still get sexism.

Honestly, you've got a whole feminist wave of SF that addresses things much more directly, though sometimes under male pseudonyms. I feel like there are fewer really entertaining social-science SF books nowadays. And the future has ossified, it always looks a bit like Star Trek.

Have you ever read the Final Encyclopaedia? Though yeah its a bit old but it is good. Actually probably one of my favorite Sci-Fi universes out there.

Actually some of the better recent sci-fi I have read were more horror or depressing. Manifold Space and Manifold Time are very good. Blindsight I know gets talked about a lot around here excellent book.

I think those are more of my recent readings. I can't think of others which I would recommend which are truly sci-fi.

Oh yeah, forgot about Stephen Baxter. He's not bad.

The one thing with Baxter is he is super fucking depressing. Dear god that man likes to make you never want to leave your warm comfortable safe blue ball of planet.

Actually Ben Bova's Asteroid Wars series was entertaining. It is tide to his grand tour series so lots of repeat characters with the Moon series about nano-tech. I have Venus around here somewhere but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Am I the only one that really hates Peter Hamilton?

I really hate Peter Hamilton. He falls into my aforementioned "grimdark-with-author-rape-fantasies" category.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    unless they mean investment in humans, at which point the thesis makes more sense

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    unless they mean investment in humans, at which point the thesis makes more sense
    i'd short that investment

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

i'd naked short it

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    So going through some of my research on the Arab Spring for a research paper due in a couple weeks and just ran into this line. And it just makes me grin.
    Robert Fogel's theory of ―technophysio evolution‖ outlines the
    parameters of this effect, using evidence of changing stature among US soldiers in the nineteenth
    century to argue that human nutrition is the thermodynamic engine for human productivity and
    investment (Fogel and Costa 1997).

obnoxious terminology aside, this really screams "failed to properly test for causative direction"

Fogel's papers on the health and its affects on production are actually really good. The terminology makes me giggle. But yeah the correlation isn't statistically strong as the author of the paper I am reading points out in the next paragraph. This paper is on the rising health and development in the Arab regions and how its impacts on the Arab Spring. So lots of health and development figures not really an economic paper.

I would send it to you but I got from my school and it isn't published yet. Actually written by my advisor so it is still a rough draft and more theory than research. Interesting read though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

*clink clink*

Soul you and your passionate language! Stop souling swearing!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

*clink clink*

One of the best episodes ever. :-)

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Gooey wrote: »

i'd naked short it

feeling kinda bearish?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

i'd naked short it

feeling kinda bearish?

about Humanity?

youbetcha!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    How have I never seen this before

13300524937511abu2.gif

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    havent eaten in 24 hours

MUST DECIDE ON AMAZING FOOD TO BREAK MINIFAST

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I don't know what gooey sounds like in real life. I imagine it'd sound something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ufRnf2Exc

• Options
    rising health and development in the Arab regions and how its impacts on the Arab Spring

beware causation, again o_O

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    havent eaten in 24 hours

We are going to Steak and Shake for lunch. So my vote? Chilimac and a milk shake.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    havent eaten in 24 hours

Pizza waffles.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    havent eaten in 24 hours

A baguette with fried eggs and sausages.

Also, it's weird how reporting on a ship on fire leads to a discussion on cars.

• Options
    the most D: part is the spark of fire starting as the boxes begin to fall...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    ronya wrote:
    rising health and development in the Arab regions and how its impacts on the Arab Spring

Of course. Its a theory paper. And one of the keys to a good theory paper is never ever stating causation. In fact in my field you never ever state causation unless you have completed Koch Postulate.

Ronya, good social science points out correlation only if their is statistical significance and does not go beyond that. And even then in a study must break down possible confounders and other variables that can make your own research mute.

We don't do causation.

Edit: Oh Koch's Postulate is something you can't do any more ethically. It is taking a theorized cause of a disease, growing it in a lab and then putting the lab grown version into a human and having the disease appear.

The whole putting disease causing agents into people isn't something you do with ethical research. But that does prove causation.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I thought those were hazard lights.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i really wish i could order cheeseburgers

you can in korea but the uk is sadly behind on cheeseburger ordering

hmmm pizza is looking like a definite possibility but not sure how to convert dat shit into pizza waffles

i can do ciabatta with egg and sausage

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    For this next test we put nanoparticles in the gel. In layman's terms, that's a billion little gizmos that are gonna travel into your bloodstream and pump experimental genes and RNA molecules and so forth into your tumours. Now maybe you don't have any tumours. Well don't worry, if you sat on a folding chair in the lobby and weren't wearing lead underpants we took care of that too.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Cave Johnson, best CEO.

• Options
    ronya wrote:

Of course. Its a theory paper. And one of the keys to a good theory paper is never ever stating causation. In fact in my field you never ever state causation unless you have completed Koch Postulate.

Ronya, good social science points out correlation only if their is statistical significance and does not go beyond that. And even then in a study must break down possible confounders and other variables that can make your own research mute.

We don't do causation.

granger causalityyyyyy

also instrumental variables, or discontinuity tests

econometrics really loves aggressively speculating on causation; we can advance a lot further than sociology can by invoking the neoclassical framework and its bevy of assumptions

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    And now, an amazingly cheeky goal by Ronaldo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=kKrnxgRKxhs

spool32 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Plaudible should be a word meaning "worthy of applause".

• Options
    yesssss i hope ronnie wears hawaiian shirts from now on

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    seriously though, purely descriptive statistics makes people suspicious in economics

like: what are you trying to suggest here. Stop waggling your eyebrows and just say it.

pure description is only popular when it claims something that defies conventional wisdom, or is making a meta argument.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    man I am stupid for not watching Mad Men sooner.

I just watched the stairs scene with Don and his boss. Hilarious and very well played.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Applaudable. Laudable. Laudatory.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

I just watched the stairs scene with Don and his boss. Hilarious and very well played.

Is it good? I want to get into it but I needed more opinions before I committed.

• Options

I thought those were hazard lights.

on further inspection, I think you are right

okay so it's just funny instead of D: then

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    havent eaten in 24 hours

shawarma chicken pieces in rice with a fattoush salad. pita and hummus optional.

light but nutritious and filling

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Is it good? I want to get into it but I needed more opinions before I committed.

It's good.

+1 Opinion

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So the home care organization I work for is under staffed and begging it's workers to work at different times (night/mornings/weekends) to cover the lack of people. Yet my schedule only has a couple hours worth of clients and the phones are ringing off the hook so I can't call in to take some of the load off.

And the local hospitals are over crowded and the nurses there are afraid for their licences because of the lack of care. So I can't really complain too much in the face of that.

We really need to figure out what we are going to do with all these people getting sick and old all the time.

• Options
    ronya wrote:
    ronya wrote:

We don't do causation.

granger causalityyyyyy

also instrumental variables, or discontinuity tests

econometrics really loves aggressively speculating on causation; we can advance a lot further than sociology can by invoking the neoclassical framework and its bevy of assumptions

I see that as one of the biggest weaknesses in current culture of economics is that so much is taken on faith(assumptions) and causality is attached to a lot of things that it shouldn't. I hope one day there will be a shift to where the rest of us are with causality. Hell I do a lot of work in epidemiology which deals with pretty easy causation with diseases and we still don't like using the word or promoting the idea x causes y. And it makes us stronger in the long run with our study designs and publishing with potential confounders and such and promoting more studies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Applaudable. Laudable. Laudatory.
    Clapalicious

This discussion has been closed.