Options

I saw the Stars in my cereal this morning [SPACE](NSF ALIENS and 56K)

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    remember when lots of people thought they had faulty data and the science team was all "NO WAY MAN WE DID IT"

turns out einstein was still right and nerds can cry themselves to sleep again because ftl travel will never happen

Yeah, fuck nerds. Real men post on internet message boards.

Look they really should have known better than to assume that one of the core tenets of modern physics had been broken

Nobody assumed anything.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cool!

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Tyson is speaking about his book this morning.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hey cool! I guess everyone in Syria really is supportive of the government, as "Syrian state TV says 89.4 per cent of voters said 'yes' to new constitution in Sunday's referendum". I guess all the terrorists and gangsters and foreign militias and frenzied drug addicts (?!?) didn't get to the polls.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Hey cool! I guess everyone in Syria really is supportive of the government, as "Syrian state TV says 89.4 per cent of voters said 'yes' to new constitution in Sunday's referendum". I guess all the terrorists and gangsters and foreign militias and frenzied drug addicts (?!?) didn't get to the polls.

Cool?

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Amikron doesn't get sarcasm.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    Nah, just don't really get what it had to do with spaaaaaaaaace.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It pissed me off to an unusual extent and I felt I had to share and this is the closest thing to a current events thread. Definitely off topic.

• Options
    Makes sense to me :^:

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nah, just don't really get what it had to do with spaaaaaaaaace.

You haven't been here long, have you?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    its so weird to remember that every one of those tiny dots is SO MUCH STUFF

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    ,in my eloquent opinion

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    remember when lots of people thought they had faulty data and the science team was all "NO WAY MAN WE DID IT"

turns out einstein was still right and nerds can cry themselves to sleep again because ftl travel will never happen

Yeah, fuck nerds. Real men post on internet message boards.

Look they really should have known better than to assume that one of the core tenets of modern physics had been broken

Nobody assumed anything.

The crying nerds did

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Actually I don't know that!

I don't know anything

My head really hurts

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It pissed me off to an unusual extent and I felt I had to share and this is the closest thing to a current events thread. Definitely off topic.

I mean, the overwhelming majority of the stuff we're observing up there happened hundreds of millions of years ago

it's about as far from a current events thread as I can imagine

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Weaver on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Was sent this site this morning. Paint your own supernovas. Instant fun!

stumbleupon.com/su/2YJMhU/29a.ch/sandbox/2011/neonflames/

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The end of Dark Energy...
    626214main1_XMM-Newton_Outflows_A_673.jpg
    Too bad some of you guys wouldn't speculate on quasars... it was totally on track.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    Well, nothing good can last forever.

• Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck this thread is really bumming me out that I had to leave school.

fuck fuck fuck.

fuck.

I love space.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ACSIS wrote: »
    The end of Dark Energy...
    626214main1_XMM-Newton_Outflows_A_673.jpg
    Too bad some of you guys wouldn't speculate on quasars... it was totally on track.

give me your weed

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Well, nothing good can last forever.

True that. Not even Black Holes.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    What the hell is he on about this time?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    m64h0404.jpg
    Think about the accredition disk. Think about area to catch matter. Think about the gravity growth of the disk compared to the SMBH in the center. Think about what centrifugal force will do to it. Think about the dark clouds inside of galaxys. Dust clouds? Well it should be luminous somehow, if only indirect, iluminated by starlight. It isn't. Guess why. Its dust of course, but of a very special kind...

This is why quasars emit so much energy. It isn't the deathscream of matter sucked into the SMBH, its the deathscream of the SMBH itself, torn apart by its accredition disk, a inevitable developement over time.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    everyone just look away

do it for Kadith

• Options
    Quarantine the infection.

• Options
    Epe7D.jpg

New images of dunes on Mars. Very pretty.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    I think he's just imitating the previous conversation we had about neutrinos possibly not being FTL with dark energy not being real.

So yeah, Mars bitches.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Dark_dune_spots_-_spider_Mars.jpg
    investigation ship en route, ETA august 2012

in other news:
    moon not geologically inactive
    first water world confirmed

624604main1_p1213aw-670.jpg
    may you live in interesting times, dear friends

ACSIS on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    he's our forum's own @ehorse_books

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Think about the accredition disk. Think about area to catch matter. Think about the gravity growth of the disk compared to the SMBH in the center. Think about what centrifugal force will do to it. Think about the dark clouds inside of galaxys. Dust clouds? Well it should be luminous somehow, if only indirect, iluminated by starlight. It isn't. Guess why. Its dust of course, but of a very special kind...

This is why quasars emit so much energy. It isn't the deathscream of matter sucked into the SMBH, its the deathscream of the SMBH itself, torn apart by its accredition disk, a inevitable developement over time.

lol~

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    oh and I saw some cool supernovae stuff this morning so i'll write up a gushing post about some of the highlights later tonight

for those who are taking part of my non-accredited astrophysicist online degree program.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »

lol~

tachyons bro

duh

• Options
    Don't do it Kadith.

Don't dooooooooooooooo ittttttttttttt.

*splosions*

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I've always assumed since the universe is an explosion in slow-motion? (relativity?) that dark energy was just a mystical term for solar currents or whatever permeates magnetism or reverse magnetism throughout the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor

I also assume I'm completely wrong about all of this.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Speaking of supernovas this was a while ago but I wanted to be sure I understand what's going on here: So these lights are matter being ejected from a supernova that is running into the matter/gas/dust etc that was ejected earlier in the course of the supernova and igniting, right? Because that is fucking crazy.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I've always assumed since the universe is an explosion in slow-motion? (relativity?) that dark energy was just a mystical term for solar currents or whatever permeates magnetism or reverse magnetism throughout the universe.

I also assume I'm completely wrong about all of this.
    what

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    oh and I saw some cool supernovae stuff this morning so i'll write up a gushing post about some of the highlights later tonight

for those who are taking part of my non-accredited astrophysicist online degree program.

Yes, hurry up please, I want to knock out this degree in a couple of weeks and you're kind of slowing me down here.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    That does appear to be the case JayKaos. Not sure if the outer ring was created during the supernova, or sometime earlier in the star's lifetime.

Either way, yes it's completely mental (and completely awesome).

This discussion has been closed.