As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Yeah just finished it, some simpler questions:
    Ok so what exactly happened here:
    Blue ending: Shepard takes control of the reapers. Everyone lives? Shepard now has control of the reapers to do his bidding? (Basically could use it as the ultimate peace keeping force?)
    Green ending: This is the one I chose because I am so tired and have no idea what was going on. So like, did everyone turn into robot/organic lifeforms or did it wipe out all current life in the galaxy so the normady crew can adam and eve it up?
    Red ending: All synthetics destroyed. Does this include all technology? No more spaceships or anything?

I am so tired I have no idea what is going on.
    Blue one: Shepard takes control of Reapers, it looks like they just sort of fly off.
    Green one: All species ever are now robot/organic lifeforms. Final stage of evolution and stuff.
    Red one: All synthetics destroyed. That means Reapers, Geth, EDI, people with cybernetic implants like Shep, all gone.

The Normandy and Joker are in every cutscene. As for what that means...no one really knows.

Except
    Shep lives at the end of Red choice. So either Catalyst was lying about it killing Shep (he was certainly ambiguous about that point), or Catalyst wasn't really sure what would happen to hybrid organics like Shep. Honestly, I don't think Catalyst is as all-knowing has he pretends to be, so he was probably just wrong.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    So is there any part of the game that says that was multiplayer only? I totally don't remember it.

I also did not read anything about ME3 before it was out.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Blue ending: Shepard takes control of the reapers. Everyone lives? Shepard now has control of the reapers to do his bidding? (Basically could use it as the ultimate peace keeping force?)
    Green ending: This is the one I chose because I am so tired and have no idea what was going on. So like, did everyone turn into robot/organic lifeforms or did it wipe out all current life in the galaxy so the normady crew can adam and eve it up?
    Red ending: All synthetics destroyed. Does this include all technology? No more spaceships or anything?

Blue one: Shepard takes control of Reapers, it looks like they just sort of fly off.
    Green one: All species ever are now robot/organic lifeforms. Final stage of evolution and stuff.
    Red one: All synthetics destroyed. That means Reapers, Geth, EDI, people with cybernetic implants like Shep, all gone.

The Normandy and Joker are in every cutscene. As for what that means...no one really knows.

Except
    Shep lives at the end of Red choice. So either Catalyst was lying about it killing Shep (he was certainly ambiguous about that point), or Catalyst wasn't really sure what would happen to hybrid organics like Shep. Honestly, I don't think Catalyst is as all-knowing has he pretends to be, so he was probably just wrong.
    Huh? How did Shep live at the end of the Red Choice? The whole friggin Citadel blows up! It blows up in all three endings.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Except
    Huh? How did Shep live at the end of the Red Choice? The whole friggin Citadel blows up! It blows up in all three endings.
    Mass Effect fields.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Also a question on galactic readiness.
    Is it always at 50%? I had something like total military strength of 6000+, but effective says 3000. Did I miss something with this?

It goes up everytime you play a multiplayer match

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, hit the point of no return and stopped for the night.

Play clock only says 17 hours, doesn't seem that long. Felt like it was longer.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Christ the ending is just
    so indescribably ill-conceived

I honestly did not expect to be in this camp but holy God how do you even come up with something so detached from the rest of the universe

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular

Except
    Mass Effect fields.
    If I said "A wizard did it," outside of a spoiler tag, I'd get in trouble. That is the level of writing we're dealing with, here.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Also a question on galactic readiness.
    Is it always at 50%? I had something like total military strength of 6000+, but effective says 3000. Did I miss something with this?

Readyness goes up if you win multiplayer matches. 4-7% per win, if I recall correctly.

It can also go up via handing in Intel on the i-whatever game.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Except
    All Catalyst does is point out that Shepard is partly synthetic, not that he's going to die. I think the implication is that anyone with implants is probably not gonna be having a very good day afterwards.

No it doesn't >.> All the relays get blown the fuck up though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

Except
    Because Space Magic. Duh

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    ending so bad that it made someone hate video games

oh man, I really need to hurry up and beat this game

You need to Tal, because then I can show you the greatest thing ever.

5,000 views and climbing.

can you tell me how far I am now without spoilers
    about to head to Rannoch

I want to say something like halfway there.
    I think you will be very, very happy with what happens there.

jesus christ this game is long

I just clocked in at 30 hours

what the hell have you been doing?

well I'm playing on insanity, for one

and I've been doing lots of side missions but I'm not consciously going for 100%

I find insanity is the best challenge ratio in me so far. Unlike in me and me2 soldier does not auto win by pressing y anymore.

The game feels really rough though. The camera routinely wigs out and I have had it fail to load and crash to a black screen twice nice. Still love the game though, but it sure loves reminding me it has issues.

I'm enjoying insanity too, when I die its usually because of my mistakes rather than the times I died in ME2 because of the game being dumb

and I've been pretty lucky with bugs, had none so far

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

Except
    Space Magic.

Alternatively, Shep's a badass and falling to a planet from orbit only works once.

• Options

Except
    Space Magic.

Alternatively, Shep's a badass and falling to a planet from orbit only works once.
    Rolling them 20s all the way to the ground!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    The more I think about the
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Blinks77 wrote: »
    Tellerman wrote: »
    Gahhhh
    ME3 romance spoilers
    I almost wish I didn't romance Tali after watching she and Garrus. It's perfect!

Yeah, that made me smirk when I caught them.

More ending stuff.
    So, I get why Joker would be trying to get the Normandy during the kill all synthetics ending (though not sure how he would know about it), but what is the point of him fleeing during the control the Reapers ending? He has this look of desperation to get away from the blue showckwave, but why? Would have no effect on EDI or him.

Though, now that someone else posted it, I can totally buy into the whole thing being a dream sequence by a dying Shepard.

My favorite part about that whole sequence was right after Shepard looks at himself bleeding, Hackett calls up and saying the Crusible isn't working. Then Shep, dying alone with one of his best friends dead beside him, slowly struggles to his feet and says, in almost a begging voice, "What do you need me to do?"

I felt so much pity for Shepard at that point, he spent so many years fighting and sacrificing and you finally think he could rest, but even when his life seems like it's over, he wants to know how he can help.

Brought a tear to my eye.
    Yeah, that really got me; although, the second time I went through it I really wanted a renegade interrupt along the lines of "Can't you even let me die in peace?" I know humanity needs shep but it seems like Hackett's not even honoring her sacrifice

Although there was a lot of sacrificing going on that day
    It's been pointed out before but it kind of needs restating. Right up until the elevator. Right until that very point. It's all perfect. It's just afterwards that it goes to shit.

Though ignoring everything after the elevator i thought the scene with Anderson was beautifully done. The music was perfect and the whole scene was just wonderfully well crafted.
    That moment, along with Thane/Mordin dying, Ash in the hospital and a number of other scenes made me tear up. My girlfriend made fun of me, but she didn't know. Then the eleveator took us straight to Let-Down Town, in the middle of bad part of the neighborhood...
    Thane's death kills me. It really does. Everytime i watch it i still tear up. The whole.. saying a prayer for me while he's pretty much choking on his last breaths on his death bed. I'm not religious but as with most things it's the thought that counts and that sort of heart felt affection is a beautiful thing.

Mordin's death... doesn't make me tear up. I guess because it is, truly, bittersweet. He dies. Yes but... finally his mind is in agreement with his heart. He's never liked the genophage, even when he understood and agreed with the reasoning behind it. At the end though he's finally able to bring both mind and i guess soul into harmony as he cures it.
    Sabatoge the cure and then shoot him in the back.

Fuck.

Watching that scene is like getting gutshot by a firing squad.
    I did that too. I felt like shit after Shooting him. You can tell Shepard does too by how he throws his pistol on the ground. You can feel his disgust and frustration on what he just did.

Gets even worse when you see Mordin slowly crawling, bleeding to the controls, telling himself he can make it, the. He dies alone in the middle of falling tower, knowing he will be forgotten for all time because of his failure.

D:

Some really excellent emotional sequences in this game. I guess that's why the ending is so jarring.
    That's what really ticks me off about the ending, if it weren't for how bad it is, we'd all be talking about the myriad of amazing moments spread throughout this game. But the ending becomes the only thing because of the dark shadow it casts over everything.

Yeah. Going through the game all I could of was "That was so awesome/perfect/heartbreaking/badass". Then the ending hits.... Now it overshadows all the good parts of the game.
    Count me in this opinion as well. Everytime something awesome happened, I was thinking, "Wow, I can't wait to talk to people about this!" Like shooting bottles on the roof in the Presidium with Garrus or going man vs machine with a Reaper on Rannoch.

Damn ending...

Again, where the hell did Harbinger go? Can't believe they skipped a confrontation with him!
    Mass Effect 2, save for one or two events, is pretty inconsequential in ME3.
    But Harbinger? He's one of the first new codex entries in ME3, they tell you he is the biggest Reaper and the leader. Then they mention him again through the dying Reaper on Rannoch. Then it's Harbinger himself whole shoots Shepard right before he's about to enter the conduit.

I was so looking forward to a confrontation of some kind. A cutscene or boss battle or a dialog battle or something.

There was even this symmetry going on between ME1 and ME3 at the end. TIM = Saren (Indoctrinated, mechanical, you can make him shoot himself with a speech check). The run to a conduit is in both games too. Harbinger obviously would take the place of Sovereign and the tie in DLC from ME2 to ME3 has Sheprd talking to Harbinger about the invasion.

I don't know, maybe it just makes sense in my mind for a Harbinger/Shepard scene to be in ME3 somewhere.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Maybe there's the outside chance Bioware will pull a Bethesda and actually rewrite the ending in DLC

I can dream

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Maybe there's the outside chance Bioware will pull a Bethesda and actually rewrite the ending in DLC

I can dream

Dream on, you crazy diamond, dream on.

For all of us.

• Options

I can dream
    Bethesda rewrote the Oblivion ending? Lawl, tell me more.

Gahhhh
    ME3 romance spoilers
    I almost wish I didn't romance Tali after watching she and Garrus. It's perfect!

More ending stuff.
    So, I get why Joker would be trying to get the Normandy during the kill all synthetics ending (though not sure how he would know about it), but what is the point of him fleeing during the control the Reapers ending? He has this look of desperation to get away from the blue showckwave, but why? Would have no effect on EDI or him.

Though, now that someone else posted it, I can totally buy into the whole thing being a dream sequence by a dying Shepard.

My favorite part about that whole sequence was right after Shepard looks at himself bleeding, Hackett calls up and saying the Crusible isn't working. Then Shep, dying alone with one of his best friends dead beside him, slowly struggles to his feet and says, in almost a begging voice, "What do you need me to do?"

I felt so much pity for Shepard at that point, he spent so many years fighting and sacrificing and you finally think he could rest, but even when his life seems like it's over, he wants to know how he can help.

Yeah, that really got me; although, the second time I went through it I really wanted a renegade interrupt along the lines of "Can't you even let me die in peace?" I know humanity needs shep but it seems like Hackett's not even honoring her sacrifice

It's been pointed out before but it kind of needs restating. Right up until the elevator. Right until that very point. It's all perfect. It's just afterwards that it goes to shit.

Though ignoring everything after the elevator i thought the scene with Anderson was beautifully done. The music was perfect and the whole scene was just wonderfully well crafted.
    That moment, along with Thane/Mordin dying, Ash in the hospital and a number of other scenes made me tear up. My girlfriend made fun of me, but she didn't know. Then the eleveator took us straight to Let-Down Town, in the middle of bad part of the neighborhood...
    Thane's death kills me. It really does. Everytime i watch it i still tear up. The whole.. saying a prayer for me while he's pretty much choking on his last breaths on his death bed. I'm not religious but as with most things it's the thought that counts and that sort of heart felt affection is a beautiful thing.

Mordin's death... doesn't make me tear up. I guess because it is, truly, bittersweet. He dies. Yes but... finally his mind is in agreement with his heart. He's never liked the genophage, even when he understood and agreed with the reasoning behind it. At the end though he's finally able to bring both mind and i guess soul into harmony as he cures it.

Fuck.

I did that too. I felt like shit after Shooting him. You can tell Shepard does too by how he throws his pistol on the ground. You can feel his disgust and frustration on what he just did.

Gets even worse when you see Mordin slowly crawling, bleeding to the controls, telling himself he can make it, the. He dies alone in the middle of falling tower, knowing he will be forgotten for all time because of his failure.

D:

Some really excellent emotional sequences in this game. I guess that's why the ending is so jarring.
    That's what really ticks me off about the ending, if it weren't for how bad it is, we'd all be talking about the myriad of amazing moments spread throughout this game. But the ending becomes the only thing because of the dark shadow it casts over everything.

Yeah. Going through the game all I could of was "That was so awesome/perfect/heartbreaking/badass". Then the ending hits.... Now it overshadows all the good parts of the game.
    Count me in this opinion as well. Everytime something awesome happened, I was thinking, "Wow, I can't wait to talk to people about this!" Like shooting bottles on the roof in the Presidium with Garrus or going man vs machine with a Reaper on Rannoch.

Damn ending...

Again, where the hell did Harbinger go? Can't believe they skipped a confrontation with him!
    But Harbinger? He's one of the first new codex entries in ME3, they tell you he is the biggest Reaper and the leader. Then they mention him again through the dying Reaper on Rannoch. Then it's Harbinger himself whole shoots Shepard right before he's about to enter the conduit.

I was so looking forward to a confrontation of some kind. A cutscene or boss battle or a dialog battle or something.

There was even this symmetry going on between ME1 and ME3 at the end. TIM = Saren (Indoctrinated, mechanical, you can make him shoot himself with a speech check). The run to a conduit is in both games too. Harbinger obviously would take the place of Sovereign and the tie in DLC from ME2 to ME3 has Sheprd talking to Harbinger about the invasion.

I don't know, maybe it just makes sense in my mind for a Harbinger/Shepard scene to be in ME3 somewhere.
    Yup, I totally agree. Like I said earlier, even if he would just get blown the fuck up anyway in the ending, I still would have liked some sort of showdown against him just to have the excuse to give him a big ole middle finger and beat his ass. Alas, ME2 pretty much doesn't matter at all.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

I can dream

I can safely say I'll just watch it on Youtube if it's not free should that happen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Gahhhh
    ME3 romance spoilers

More ending stuff.

Fuck.

D:

Damn ending...

I almost wonder...I wasn't around for the post-ME2 hayday, but I know on days when I lurk BSN, Harbinger is sort of frowned upon as a joke for his taunting and things. Was the reaction like that everywhere else? He could have had a reduced role because of fan backlash. It'd be awful, but not impossible.

But I definitely agree. I was hoping he'd play a major part once we got to Earth.

And yeah...

I can dream
    I sort of agree with this.

Or if not rewrite, at least expand. It seems like they have a few plot threads even in just those last few cutscenes left to tie up.

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Sagroth wrote: »
    So I beat the game and ending spoilers
    Furthermore, the execution was terrible. Where's the character resolution? How can you produce what might be the very best series of character moments in all of video games, and completely drop the ball with resolving those character stories? And seriously, fuck that epilogue. I can't hate on the bad voice acting too much because hey cool Buzz Aldrin, but deciding to frame the entire narrative as a grandpa telling a story? "some of the details might be off?" wtf? No, the goddamn details are all right because I made those choices, damn you.

Takyris explained some of this in SE++
    The ending was written without being reviewed by most of the writing staff, unlike all the other parts of the game

(are we not supposed to reference things Taky deleted? Because I'll blank this if so)

Furthermore...
    it really felt like this wasn't where they had originally planned to go. How does it tie in to the name of the bloody series? Also, I've been insisting here and elsewhere since the very first game that the AI/organic conflict was important and that making peace with them would be important to later games(heck, I was right about there being a geth party member in 2). And on the paragon side in this game, it looked like I was right. EDI and Jeff hooking up, the origin of the geth and how you can have the quarian/geth thing play out, etc. And then I meet the Catalyst AI in the end and he shits all over that notion. Never mind that I've spent the entire game proving him wrong. Never mind the inherent problems with the whole singularity theory to begin with. And never mind that the thing doing all this is a goddamn AI itself. Seriously, couldn't they have picked a better scifi motive for the Reapers? Trying to avoid the heat death of the universe, maybe? Or the big crunch?
    I really expected, "The reapers must prevent the expansion of advanced organic life because an even stronger, external evil would kill EVERYTHING if organics became too big and noticeable!"

Had the same problems as you with where they actually took the ending.
    the original thought I had about the Reapers, based on Soveriegn's words and the beacon cutscenes in the first game was that Reapers were originally an organic race that went synthesis, but did so in such a way that they could no longer propagate. And since they were born from organics(and likely a bad race at that), they still had the drive to reproduce. So each cycle they'd find a genetically compatible race, make some new Reapers from them, and eliminate the rest. I contend that not only would that have been better than what we got, but it also would have fit the whole "AIs are not really evil" thing because the Reapers would be bad due to organic origins and drives. Ah, well.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I can dream

I mean the Fallout 3 ending. (not that the ending of Me3 is parallel to it at all, if you think that's a spoiler. It's just that they're both derided for being poorly thought out)

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I can dream

Nah, but they did rewrite the Fallout 3 ending.

Sometime I should finish that playthrough and try Broken Steel.

• Options

I can dream

Nah, but they did rewrite the Fallout 3 ending.

Sometime I should finish that playthrough and try Broken Steel.

Oh right. I forgot that Fallout 3 even existed once Obsidian's vastly superior New Vegas came out.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    About Harbinger:
    I kinda just figured he was the big Reaper that landed right next to the transporter and lased you. They just didn't give him any dialogue or anything.

EDIT: I'm gonna rewatch season two of ExoSquad. Now there's how you do a proper fucking ending to a scifi war saga!

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    About Harbinger:
    I kinda just figured he was the big Reaper that landed right next to the transporter and lased you. They just didn't give him any dialogue or anything.
    I thought that was confirmed. Didn't they say as much?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Except
    Space Magic.

Ending spoilers
    Well I figured that beam-o-light conduit that brought her up the the citadel also managed to transport her back down again as the Citadel was exploding (maybe she got thrown into it). So the body we see breathing again is on the decimated streets of London.

Or, you know, Space Magic.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Ending aside, there was a lot of stuff I really liked. Here's a shorthand list:
    -Moridin went out like a bro.
    -Target practice with Garrus.
    -Drunk Tali is best Tali.
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Geth origin was heartrending.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    FightTest wrote: »
    Spoilers
    So a Bioware community manages says she interprets the ending as a dying hallucination.

That in addition to reddit thing above has given me a new theory.

We know that the two characters that step off the Normandy at the end after Joker is always your two squadmates who went with you on the final mission (unless you chose synthesis in which case it's Joker and EDI). What if they are you squadmates because they are hinting at the fact your squadmates carried your body back to the Normandy? That the ending after walking into the beam was all a hallucination. Anderson got there and pushed the button, not Shepard. And why it will be Shepard trapped in the Jungle. Because he's on the Normandy when it crashed, he was the next person walking off, they just didn't show it.
    I had this thought when the catalyst appeared as the kid that had been haunting you. It's entirely plausible since Shepard was going under next to Anderson, plus there was no reason for the elevator to take her out, and wasn't she in open space with no gear? However to me the whole, "LOL IT WAS JUST A DREAM" is about the most cliche bullshit anyone could pull and I really hope they didn't go that route.

Yeah uh
    I can buy it being a dream, but "everything still happened, but shep died and someone else pushed the button!" is somewhat silly. Then...why is it a dream?
    Well, here is the theory in it's complete form. The entire scene was actually an indoctrination attempt. That the kid was never real, Shepard sees the kid the first time when the Reapers were around, and the kid tells him something to completely demoralize him "nobody can help me", plus when Anderson talks to Shepard he snaps out of it and the kid is gone. Anderson never saw the kid because he isn't real. Even later on as Shepard sees the kid no one around the kid reacts to him. And then the ship gets blown up. All of it was part of an attempt to screw with his head. Indoctrination was always associated first with bad dreams, and Shepard's repeatedly have bad dreams throughout the game with the kid in it. And finally in this final confrontation the kid tells him that he is with the Reapers. So the final scene was all an indoctrination attempt to take over his mind. That's why if he chooses the control path (TIM's choice) or the synthesis (path), which is basically huskifying everyone, there is no Shepard awake scene at the end. Only if he chooses to destroy do you get the bonus still breathing shot, because by choosing to destroy the reaper (the one that Anderson chooses), he rejects the indoctrination.

I know it's stretching it but I can fanwank this better than the actual ending we got.

I've been thinking about this, and it could also explain
    The idea of the 'destroy' ending. How are we to know it destroys all synthetic life? If it was attempting to indoctrinate Shepard, it could entirely be a fabricated story in an attempt to make him hesitate, and it's doubtful that anything besides the reapers would actually be destroyed(Mass Effect relays I can understand, chalk it up to overloading them - not at all surprising with the amount of energy being shot to kill the reapers). We only have the testimony of whatever the hell it is talking to Shepard's head.

Surely if you want to make mister hero stop in his tracks, make him think he's killing all his friends. Kinda villainy 101 there.

Unfortunately since the ending is so poorly explained and executed, we can't really be sure of whether this is the case. But the fact that the only evidence we have to the contrary is who leaves the shuttle in the cutscene, there's very little to go against the idea.

• Options

Except
    Space Magic.

Ending spoilers
    Well I figured that beam-o-light conduit that brought her up the the citadel also managed to transport her back down again as the Citadel was exploding (maybe she got thrown into it). So the body we see breathing again is on the decimated streets of London.

Or, you know, Space Magic.
    I'm rejecting my own Space Magic theory and just imagining Shep hitting the Earth from orbit and managing to grunt out, "Nice try, gravity, but I'm not falling for that trick again."

Then he passes out.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    So I beat the game and ending spoilers
    Furthermore, the execution was terrible. Where's the character resolution? How can you produce what might be the very best series of character moments in all of video games, and completely drop the ball with resolving those character stories? And seriously, fuck that epilogue. I can't hate on the bad voice acting too much because hey cool Buzz Aldrin, but deciding to frame the entire narrative as a grandpa telling a story? "some of the details might be off?" wtf? No, the goddamn details are all right because I made those choices, damn you.

Takyris explained some of this in SE++
    The ending was written without being reviewed by most of the writing staff, unlike all the other parts of the game

(are we not supposed to reference things Taky deleted? Because I'll blank this if so)

Furthermore...
    it really felt like this wasn't where they had originally planned to go. How does it tie in to the name of the bloody series? Also, I've been insisting here and elsewhere since the very first game that the AI/organic conflict was important and that making peace with them would be important to later games(heck, I was right about there being a geth party member in 2). And on the paragon side in this game, it looked like I was right. EDI and Jeff hooking up, the origin of the geth and how you can have the quarian/geth thing play out, etc. And then I meet the Catalyst AI in the end and he shits all over that notion. Never mind that I've spent the entire game proving him wrong. Never mind the inherent problems with the whole singularity theory to begin with. And never mind that the thing doing all this is a goddamn AI itself. Seriously, couldn't they have picked a better scifi motive for the Reapers? Trying to avoid the heat death of the universe, maybe? Or the big crunch?
    I really expected, "The reapers must prevent the expansion of advanced organic life because an even stronger, external evil would kill EVERYTHING if organics became too big and noticeable!"

Had the same problems as you with where they actually took the ending.

What do you think the Reapers are, the Sinistrals?

• Options
    Major TomMajor Tom Registered User regular
    If you get the DLC, is there a cutoff in the main game after which you can't do the mission? I'm on my second playthrough and just finished Tunchanka and I'm thinking about getting the DLC.

• Options
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off
    -Vega trying to get Jarvik to tell jokes.
    -Asking EDI what she was thinking about
    -Thane's badassitude followed by his death
    -Tali stepping foot on Rannoch, as well as if you broker a peace between the quarians and the geth.
    -Liara prepping those time capsules
    -Everything between Jarvik and Liara on Thessia
    and so on and soforth

so many good scenes.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off
    I forgot about drunk Tali, that was awesome. What did she call it? A 'liquid consumption device'?

That's a straw Tali...

Did anyone else...
    End up killing Mordin and Wrex? Broke my heart to do it, but all those lines from Wrex about his 'jokes' on taking over after the war and the promise of Salarian warships pushed me to the Daltress' side.

Killing Wrex and Mordin to save the galaxy made me sad, but it did lead to another moment of Garrus being awesome. You can confess to him and he'll understand.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off
    I forgot about drunk Tali, that was awesome. What did she call it? A 'liquid consumption device'?

That's a straw Tali...

EMERGENCY. INDUCTION. PORT.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off

That's a straw Tali...

Did anyone else...
    End up killing Mordin and Wrex? Broke my heart to do it, but all those lines from Wrex about his 'jokes' on taking over after the war and the promise of Salarian warships pushed me to the Daltress' side.

Killing Wrex and Mordin to save the galaxy made me sad, but it did lead to another moment of Garrus being awesome. You can confess to him and he'll understand.
    "Ashley not here to help you this time? Oh wait... you killed her too"

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Donnicton Not familiar with them but to be honest it probably had something to do with Gurren Lagann kicking around in the back of my head.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

That's a straw Tali...

emergency induction port

Sagroth on
  • Options
    -Calibration jokes.
    -Dakka system.
    -Garrus/Joker joke-off

That's a straw Tali...

EMERGENCY. INDUCTION. PORT.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Major Tom wrote: »
    If you get the DLC, is there a cutoff in the main game after which you can't do the mission? I'm on my second playthrough and just finished Tunchanka and I'm thinking about getting the DLC.

There's a point where Hackette blatantly tells you, "after this, there's no going back."
    The DLC can be done any time before that but it really should be done as soon as possible.

newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.