As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    If you're taking the Accela, there's Wifi on the train. Even if it's the NE Regional, pretty sure there's wifi there too.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Yeah, the regional has wifi. It's slow though, so I hoped to load up some stuff, but it works.

poo
  • Options
    Installing iTunes just so I can activate it because I'm impatient

poo
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Man, my eyes are beat from inspecting this thing. Good news is that there are no dead pixels or other issues that I can spot, so if all goes well I probably won't even open the 2nd iPad and just return it as planned.

Bad news is that with the new retina display, the lower quality stuff sticks out even more. Case in point:
    wKSMP.jpg

Of course, it was evident in the iPad 2 how that game handled textures, but that's just one example. Infinity Blade II is another offender, as equipment and money icons are clearly blurry.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The camera on this thing is crazy excellent.

Here's a little comparison I just did.

Taken with iPad 2:
    Wh0uq.jpg

Taken with iPad 3:
    u3EMV.jpg

And yes, that is the same dog. She was due for a haircut.

Note: Both pics are meant to be seen at "iPad size" to get the full effect.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Three things:

1) My Comixology comics don't seem to be transferring over. Any ideas?

2) What's a good comic book app for comics that aren't tied to services? The closer to free the better, but if there's one killer no-brainer app then I'll consider shelling out some money for it.

3) OMG PRETTY

EDIT:

4) Is the inside part of the smart cover okay to use for wiping dirt and fingerprints off of the screen with? If not, would eyeglasses spray and cloth be fine to use? I've been using them on my Droid X, but that thing has Gorilla Glass and I'm pretty sure the iPad doesn't so I don't want to run the risk of fucking up the screen.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Three things:

2) What's a good comic book app for comics that aren't tied to services? The closer to free the better, but if there's one killer no-brainer app then I'll consider shelling out some money for it.

3) OMG PRETTY

EDIT:

4) Is the inside part of the smart cover okay to use for wiping dirt and fingerprints off of the screen with? If not, would eyeglasses spray and cloth be fine to use? I've been using them on my Droid X, but that thing has Gorilla Glass and I'm pretty sure the iPad doesn't so I don't want to run the risk of fucking up the screen.
    As someone who has had 2 scratched iPad screens (fingernail at bad angle) I don't like to use the smart cover- there is a slight chance, tiny debris in the cover caused the scratch. I use glasses cloth which is kept in a plastic pouch to keep junk off of it.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The iPad does in fact have "gorilla glass", though it's not the Corning brand name stuff, it's just basic aluminosilicate glass.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Three things:

3) OMG PRETTY

EDIT:

I've been trying to decide between ComicGlass, Comic Zeal, and Comic Viewer. I'm interested in reading manga and not comics (open to reading anything if it's good but know little to nothing about comics), and all of them seem to be pretty good. Here's a thread I came across where a guy is buying and reviewing all of the available comic apps to find the best one http://www.avforums.com/forums/ipad-applications/1269241-comic-zeal-other-comic-readers.html

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Good Reader

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Posting from new iPad. Pretty neat. I'm using a smart cover on it right now, but I'm not too sure about it yet. I also need something to protect the back.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Three things:

3) OMG PRETTY

EDIT:

Comic Zeal. Everyone swears by it, and despite being a cheapskate who didn't want to fork over the cash when there were plenty of other free comic apps....yes, I swear by it too. Nothing else compares.

I'm still actively looking for an app that lets me use my iPad like a wireless keyboard while remotely connected to my PC.

Also, the white model just arrived. I'm debating about even opening it, although Apple does allow returns either way.

• Options
    Need a case badly, it seems. I ordered a cheap one I'll use until I find a more permanent solution. Just hope it shows up by Wednesday when I have my first trip with this little wonder.

• Options
    Cheers for that review thread. I'll give it a look over later when I get the time. I'll also definitely keep Comic Zeal in mind as it looks very promising.

Next question, which I'm sure has been hashed to death, but: best Windows program for converting video files to iPad friendly formats? I had something I used years ago with my iPod, but I don't remember the name of it and it's entirely possible something new and better has been released since. As always, free is best.

Also, I'm hooked on Infinity Blade. I quickly rediscovered the dangers of setting everything to sync up (apparently automatically) as I lost a bunch of apps and my IB data. Apps are easily redownloaded though, and I only lost maybe 3 fights worth of IB data. Oh, and my Comixology stuff finally synced over so I'm set there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Handbrake was the first thing that came to mind and it's free.

I've been playing around with Air Media Center to stream video from my PC to my iOS devices, and it's worked with everything from old 480p avi's to current 1080p Hi10 mkv's. The only downsides are it doesn't currently support subtitles, you'll need a powerful computer to stream 1080p content and other HD content, it's $1.99, and it's streaming only.

• Options
    I use Air Video. It was recommended, and works great. You convert your saved videos, add them to iTunes, move them to your iPad, done.

• Options
    Using mine on the Amtrak right now. The wifi is shitty and won't let me download apps though, sadly. Pretty though.

poo
  • Options
    Netflix needs an update right quick. Stuff looks good but could look great.

Loving the wired app, too. Any suggestions for free newspaper or magazine content?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Got my iPad from Best Buy today. But restoring from the cloud takes forever! It's still downloading all my aps from my configuratuion.
    Now, how do you all handle his and her iPads? I'm thinking same apple is so she can access all apps and music- but does that mean we can't use find my friend and we have to share the documents in iWork? Can she have her own game center Id?

For music you can adjust your playlists by mass editing your music to a year, and hers to another, then make two separate playlists based upon year, then set it to sync selected music only.

Might be able to do a game centre thing I'll stick an @vivixenne in here as she managed to desync her phone from getting all my iMessages (which never was a problem until I had an iPad)

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Finally getting around to checking out the web browsing on this. Man do the forums look nice on this display.

Really, really wish I had HBO. I want to watch GoT season 2 and Deadwood on this.

EDIT: So is the 2x scaler in iPhone apps used on the iPad something new for the 3rd gen or iOS 5.1? Because I've been getting the impression that it is.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Got my iPad from Best Buy today. But restoring from the cloud takes forever! It's still downloading all my aps from my configuratuion.
    Now, how do you all handle his and her iPads? I'm thinking same apple is so she can access all apps and music- but does that mean we can't use find my friend and we have to share the documents in iWork? Can she have her own game center Id?

For music you can adjust your playlists by mass editing your music to a year, and hers to another, then make two separate playlists based upon year, then set it to sync selected music only.

Might be able to do a game centre thing I'll stick an @vivixenne in here as she managed to desync her phone from getting all my iMessages (which never was a problem until I had an iPad)

@Sharp10r

I solved the his/her iDevice thing by opening up Settings -> Mail/Contacts and then creating a new iCloud account... activate it and link it to the apps that can use it that she'd like to keep separate from yours, and voila there you go

you can still use the "joint" Apple ID to buy apps and such, but this one is specifically for apps that are using iCloud, like iMessages, E-mails, etc

not sure about Game Centre as I've always had an account separate to Blake's - my impression was that I just made a new one via Game Centre and iClouds and Apple IDs didn't have anything to do with it

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    As I browse from my iPad2 I am baffled, enticed, and amazed at the idea of things somehow looking better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Atomix is a free gaming magazine that oa actually pretty solid and a nice way to try newstand on your iPad

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i only just got home and am now going to open up my new ipad

Time Zones!

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I cannot get home sharing to work. Never mind.

If you can't get shared to show up in videos or music, try turning off Home Sharing on your PC/MAC and switching it back on.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Fyi, if you are super concerned about damaging your iPad, then forget a case and just cough up the cash for Applecare+.

Even the best case will probably not survive a fall unscathed, so might as well get the service that lets you set the thing on fire in front of the Apple Store clerk and get a replacement for fifty bones.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Actually my form fitting case has saved my iPad from surface damage from drops. The iPad is actually really resilient, as long as you don't you know, drop it down the stairs. Edge on is the worst way you can drop it, but if you drop it flat on, it's usually perfectly fine in a decent case. Obviously if the impact is edge on, and hard enough, it can crack the glass.

I've gone through a broken iPad (shattered glass, two year old daughter involved, wee), and it took quite the tumble for it to break. Also, Apple was awesome about it. They could have charged me $250 for a reburb replacement, but the Genius I dealt with was super sympathetic that my daughter had broken it and just handed me a new one, waved the charge. I bought a second one on the spot as a thank you :P

That said, AppleCare is good for a device this sexy and expensive. It's worth it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Though I was satisfied with my Black iPad, not finding any dead pixels or other screen issues, I decided to open up and try the White one for curiosity's sake.

It took less than ten minutes for me to package it back up. There was no difference between the screens, and the white border ended up distracting me. I know that's a case of YMMV, but for me I am certain that white isn't for me. The black borders stuck out far much more than they did on the black model.

I'll call Apple tomorrow and have them email me a return slip.

• Options
    Mine is black, and I concur. The white border is very distracting to me, especially since the primary use of my iPad is a video consumption device, particularly at night, in bed.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I was surprised, really. I did read the reports how the white may be distracting for some people, but I still assumed I might appreciate it regardless.

But no, I just plain didn't like it. It didn't look right to me at all. It even created this illusion of the white border sticking out forward from the screen. When I first turned it on I actually thought the iPad was physically defective.

I'm now concerned about the Wii U controller in light of this. :?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I fucking love the white border on my iPad

my phone is black but the iPad? Man looks waaaaaay better with white.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    This text
    So crisp

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I was surprised, really. I did read the reports how the white may be distracting for some people, but I still assumed I might appreciate it regardless.

But no, I just plain didn't like it. It didn't look right to me at all. It even created this illusion of the white border sticking out forward from the screen. When I first turned it on I actually thought the iPad was physically defective.

I'm now concerned about the Wii U controller in light of this. :?

Yep, happens to me whenever I use my ex's white iPad. It's especially noticeable in the dark, where the white border just glares something fierce. My iPhone and iPad are black :P

• Options
    Best chat app?

poo
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Actually my form fitting case has saved my iPad from surface damage from drops. The iPad is actually really resilient, as long as you don't you know, drop it down the stairs. Edge on is the worst way you can drop it, but if you drop it flat on, it's usually perfectly fine in a decent case. Obviously if the impact is edge on, and hard enough, it can crack the glass.

I've gone through a broken iPad (shattered glass, two year old daughter involved, wee), and it took quite the tumble for it to break. Also, Apple was awesome about it. They could have charged me $250 for a reburb replacement, but the Genius I dealt with was super sympathetic that my daughter had broken it and just handed me a new one, waved the charge. I bought a second one on the spot as a thank you :P

That said, AppleCare is good for a device this sexy and expensive. It's worth it.

Apple has an unofficial policy that they will replace any iPhone for any reason (include water or screen damage) within the first year of purchase once. I assume it is the same as iPads.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I've determined that, while I really like the smart cover, I need to have something on the back that will both protect that side and that has a magnet to hold the smart cover in place when I have it folded back. Both Speck and Incase make cases like this for the iPad 2, but no word yet on new iPad compatibility.

I'm surprised more shell type cases that are made to work with the smart cover don't include this feature. I don't know how anyone can stand having that cover flapping around back there.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I've been finding that I've been taking the smart cover off whenever I want to actually hold the device on my hands. It's just too uncomfortable to hold it with it on and it keeps sliding around. I also know now that I definitely want some kind of cover or skin (DoDocase Bookback) to give some extra grip on the back because while it's smooth it's very slippery.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I've been finding that I've been taking the smart cover off whenever I want to actually hold the device on my hands. It's just too uncomfortable to hold it with it on and it keeps sliding around. I also know now that I definitely want some kind of cover or skin (DoDocase Bookback) to give some extra grip on the back because while it's smooth it's very slippery.

I have the DodoCase Bookback on my iPad2. Highly recommended.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Though I was satisfied with my Black iPad, not finding any dead pixels or other screen issues, I decided to open up and try the White one for curiosity's sake.
    You don't happen to post on a certain other forum, do you? Because I've just read about someone having the same idea about ordering both and returning the white one.

You guys, I am having such a hard time resisting buying the new iPad! It is basically the exact device I've been waiting for since I was about twelve years old and realised what DPI meant.

My one main concern is how independent the iPad can be, especially with regards to photos. I can store my entire Photo Library on my iPhone, but they're "optimised" files (lower res for the iPhone screen) which means I can't rely on them as a duplicate of my laptop's Photo Library. (Even if I could get to them outside of the iPhone's Photo app.) Is the iPad similar or does it actually store the full-res original copy -- and, ideally, offer an easy way to get them off the iPad and onto another device?

[edit: so, of course, I hit up Google and found something just after posting this which suggests the iPad does what I want? Still interested in personal experience, though, because this is all about the camera connection kit and I'm more concerned about syncing my entire library to the iPad and then being able to sync back to my laptop if necessary. (If, say, my laptop was stolen and my backup drive broke.)

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    You don't happen to post on a certain other forum, do you? Because I've just read about someone having the same idea about ordering both and returning the white one.

Someone as crazy as me posting about their anal iPad strategies on another forum? That would be truly something awful.