As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME! DO IT!

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ashe wrote: »
    Dark Souls. Intriguing. I've heard good things, but admit I don't know much about it. An open-world, sandboxy RPG in the same vein as The Elder Scrolls games? Or more action-focused and linear, with less wandering around doing whatever you fancy?

Very different from Elder Scrolls. Difficult, but fair. You die because of YOUR mistakes, not because the game glitched or was unfair. Also, one of the only action games I've played where weapon physics actually matter. You won't see a small guy wielding a massive greatsword like it's a wiffleball bat. There is weight behind everything you use. So a tiny spear will move quicker than a massive sword. The multiplayer is unique too - you don't go into matchmaking, or find your friends (though there's a workaround for that). You're just a part of a world. You can see other people as ghosts playing through their campaigns while playing yours, and you can summon random people into your world to help you out (or be summoned into theirs, if you so choose.) You can also invade the worlds of other players and mess their shit up. You can also write these little tips on the ground for people to see, such as "Trap ahead" or "Tough enemy". The lack of voice chat is intentional for this exact reason - it works brilliantly.

In short, it's my favorite action RPG series on any system. Legitimately a fantastic game.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    website? It's the same login for both.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    website? It's the same login for both.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It wasn't working.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    Dark Souls. Intriguing. I've heard good things, but admit I don't know much about it. An open-world, sandboxy RPG in the same vein as The Elder Scrolls games? Or more action-focused and linear, with less wandering around doing whatever you fancy?

Very different from Elder Scrolls. Difficult, but fair. You die because of YOUR mistakes, not because the game glitched or was unfair. Also, one of the only action games I've played where weapon physics actually matter. You won't see a small guy wielding a massive greatsword like it's a wiffleball bat. There is weight behind everything you use. So a tiny spear will move quicker than a massive sword. The multiplayer is unique too - you don't go into matchmaking, or find your friends (though there's a workaround for that). You're just a part of a world. You can see other people as ghosts playing through their campaigns while playing yours, and you can summon random people into your world to help you out (or be summoned into theirs, if you so choose.) You can also invade the worlds of other players and mess their shit up. You can also write these little tips on the ground for people to see, such as "Trap ahead" or "Tough enemy". The lack of voice chat is intentional for this exact reason - it works brilliantly.

In short, it's my favorite action RPG series on any system. Legitimately a fantastic game.

I actually get a lot of glitches with monsters that throw things. Sometimes architecture blocks the stuff, somtimes it doesn't.

And the tips have officially become a joke. They're either lies or jokes or begging. God I hate that system now. And it was so neat in Demons' Souls.

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Two question regarding Dark Souls (answers will be speculative only of course, but still)

1) You guys think it's going to be on Steam?

2) What price point do you think we can expect?

Bonus question because I ran out of numbers: Any release date?

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »
    Two question regarding Dark Souls (answers will be speculative only of course, but still)

1) You guys think it's going to be on Steam?

2) What price point do you think we can expect?

I bet, and I'd bet $40. Which it's well worth.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Dark Souls sounds great, thanks for the info, folks. Definitely tempting, but also definitely one for a future sale. Too many games. I still haven't decided what to play next now I've been more successful at dragging myself away from Skyrim/Creation Kit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I feel like a bad person, but I could never get into Demon's Souls so I'll assume I won't like Dark Souls either. And I love RPG's! I'm an RPG eating machine, but Demon's Souls was a little too much for me (and I love Etrian Odyssey).

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Dark Souls was my #1 game of 2011, and it did more to advance game design than any other game in 2011. If you don't believe me, our very own RainbowDespair posted a wonderful write-up on Zeboyd Games's blog here.

And I think I'm safe from picking up Shogun 2, even at the sweet sweet price of $7.50, because I remembered that I own Rome, Empire, and Medieval 2 and haven't played any of them yet. So help me Newell, you will not win this time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »

How is that possible? Your keyboard only have 1 and 2? LOL

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    @TheSonicRetard No, I am going to Shambhala for my 7th year though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    So I beat Mass Effect 1 last weekend and started up Mass Effect 2 about 90 minutes later. The only initial problem I had with it was I kept hitting space to choose abilities during combat which would instead make me stand up out of cover. A few bullets would remind me that the controls had changed. After the settling in period, I have to say, I can't think of a game that did a better job of taking out the crap I hated from the previous game. Everything that annoyed me in ME1 is gone, and it hasn't been replaced by anything yet. Well, except some glitch I get occasionally where I walk up a wall and through the ceiling. At any rate, when I beat this game I'm sure it's going to make waiting for ME3 to drop in price very hard.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    hah the going into cover and then just floating up into the air is my favorite part of ME2.

Losing Acid Pistols and rocket launcher sniper rifles was my least favorite part of ME2

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Dark Souls sounds wonderful.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Really excited for Dark Souls; that is a game I will definitely play if it comes to PC. Notorious difficulty aside, the way you interact with other players alone is something I'd absolutely have to check out.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I think people who love Demon's/Dark Souls are crazy, but that's cool. Where they see "everything being your fault" and "fun but challenging" and "old school gameplay, not that pussy-ass shit that the kids do this day” I see as complete bullshit.

Personally, I think the controls suck. Some may say deliberate and heavy on purpose, I say suck. That’s cool, we can differ on opinions. I think the camera is awful. I play games to have fun, enjoy an entertaining story, kill some shit. I don’t have the time or the inclination to get buttfucked by a game. If I had more time in my life for videogames, I might enjoy the Souls games more. But, sadly, I don’t. With limited time, I have to focus on stuff that is, to me, immediately enjoyable/beatable. I can’t faff about and hope that 13 hours later, the game gets good. I’m also not a person who needs a game to be challenging to enjoy it, either. Playing a game on it’s hardest difficulty isn’t a requirement for me to enjoy a game.

And there’s my counterpoint to Dark Souls. It’s not for me. It’s great if it’s for you. Not all games need to be or should be for everyone. But I feel a counterpoint is needed to a game as Dark Souls-y as Dark Souls is.

And I still think everyone who *loves* these games is CR-AAA-AAAA-ZY.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Personally, I can really enjoy a game that just straight-up kicks your ass. It makes becoming powerful feel far more rewarding, and I also find the experience of getting destroyed by a game very entertaining simply as a humbling experience.

The best analogy I can make is to the original Fallout. I got the best possible armor in the game on my lategame character, strolled into a high-level area cocky as hell and feeling invincible, and was promptly killed in one hit by a critical from a weapon otherwise unable to damage me because I took on too many enemies at once.

I totally understand why some people might not find that entertaining, but for me, the idea that a game could humble the player like that was pretty awesome, and a nice change from the approach taken by most modern games. It's nice to see some games that actually make the player work for it; to me, that really does make the whole experience far more satisfying.

Getting high-level equipment in FO3 wasn't that big a deal, because I was already an unstoppable juggernaut by like Level 15, but earning high-level equipment in Fallout 1? That was huge.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    the controls aren't really deliberate and heavy... unless you found the heaviest armor and great hammer you could get and can barely move around. I actually find the controlls very light and responsive, because I use a ring that massively increases your equip load and armor that's lighter to medium weights so I'm rolling around everywhere like a toddler on mountain dew.

Unless I'm just interpretting your statement differently than you intended. And to me the camera is the same as any other third person action game.

But I understand and accept your opinion (I may be a little crazy)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Only thing I'll say about DS is that I don't particularly like the ranged/magic combat. Both games I've tried em, and I'll generally keep an ability or bow around for special circumstances, but the game is all about melee for me.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    That said, picking a magic character in Demon's Souls like the Royal was pretty easy button for a good part of the early game. I was having some difficulty at first with the game, then I made a Royal and everything came together much faster for me. Having a strong magic background then getting some of the magic-dependent weapons (moon or crescent? Can't remember) was pretty incredible early on.

It's kind of odd but I haven't quite gotten into Dark Souls yet. I played a heap of Demon's, picked up Dark but just couldn't get into it. Just going to have to sit myself down and really give it a go I guess.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Bard's Tale for the daily.

• Options
    Woah, Bard's Tale daily. Pretty rare to see that on sale. Don't think it had any discount in the summer or winter sales. Might have to see if I can scrounge for it.

• Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    So for some reason I got an Assassin's Creed Revelations 50% off coupon, which is valid from March 21 to April 1st, I don't really mind about the franchise (yet), I have the first one on my ever increasing gamebank, and I don't plan on playing it anytime soon.

If someone wants it, feel free to add me on steam or send me a steam message.

(I quickly read the last 2-3 pages of the thread, didn't see anyone else getting a coupon, then again, maybe everyone already has Revelations, hahaha.)

steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The latest Steam update seems to have sped things up for me, although that's perhaps the placebo effect.

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Anyone with those new coupons try logging in to Steam again. Inventory is screwed, each login seems to double the coupons you have.

So now I've got 6 AC: Rev 50% coupons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Why didn't I get coupons?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    The coupons appear to be almost exclusively Ubisoft stuff so maybe you need to have made a recent Ubi purchase?

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Personally, I can really enjoy a game that just straight-up kicks your ass. It makes becoming powerful feel far more rewarding, and I also find the experience of getting destroyed by a game very entertaining simply as a humbling experience.

The best analogy I can make is to the original Fallout. I got the best possible armor in the game on my lategame character, strolled into a high-level area cocky as hell and feeling invincible, and was promptly killed in one hit by a critical from a weapon otherwise unable to damage me because I took on too many enemies at once.

I totally understand why some people might not find that entertaining, but for me, the idea that a game could humble the player like that was pretty awesome, and a nice change from the approach taken by most modern games. It's nice to see some games that actually make the player work for it; to me, that really does make the whole experience far more satisfying.

Getting high-level equipment in FO3 wasn't that big a deal, because I was already an unstoppable juggernaut by like Level 15, but earning high-level equipment in Fallout 1? That was huge.

Then we are in agreement that people are allowed to like different things and people should be informed about what they're getting into! High five!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The coupons appear to be almost exclusively Ubisoft stuff so maybe you need to have made a recent Ubi purchase?
    Well that's like a slap in the face, isn't it?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Always the chance it's wishlist related too.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The Bard's Tale is ok. I recently finished the PS2 version a few weeks back and it got kind of tiresome by the end, plus the voice acting feels off. As in, you can definitely tell they didn't have the actors in the studio at the same time. I know that's a common practice, but it bothers me when I notice it.

It's also a lot harder than you think at first. It's usually best to concentrate on bows and let your summoned companions soak up the damage.

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Always the chance it's wishlist related too.

It's not wishlist. I have Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes too which I owe. Coincidentally, anyone wants the coupon? 66% off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Obviously they're giving out coupons to try and get people to ignore their awful DRM.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So how is Bard's Tale? Is it a twitchy-action, console-like RPG? Is there decent character customization? Social/story aspects?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Wait, Bard's Tale is a game? I was thinking of a Blind Guardian song.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    So how is Bard's Tale? Is it a twitchy-action, console-like RPG? Is there decent character customization? Social/story aspects?

Ever play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? I think it runs on the same engine. Hack and slash RPG. Character customization is pretty simplified. Every level you get to put a point into strength, agility, charisma, luck, etc., and every other level you get to pick a special skill. The game has moments where you can have the bard be "snarky" or "nice" to NPCs and that does have an effect on what items you get and other things like that. The voice of the bard is Cary Elwes and the narrator is Tony Jay. They interact with each other often.

You also can summon familiars to help you in battle. Some heal you, some fight with ranged combat, melee, etc. Some are just there to help find traps for you. In the beginning you can only have one summoned at a time, but by the end you can have four.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    So I just got given a bunch of new % off coupons...for games I already own.

I have 2 50% Assassin's Creed Revelations and 3 50% Heroes of Might & Magic VI.

Valid until April 1st.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wait, Bard's Tale is a game? I was thinking of a Blind Guardian song.

Excellent song(s) too!

Also, for those who are contributing to the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, The Bard's Tale is made by Brian Fargo's company.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hurm.. Bard's Tale sounds so familiar, though I know I didn't play it on the PC. Musta been during a period when I either had a PS2 or an oxbox.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a coupon for 66% off Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Valid through April 1st.

PM me here or on Steam and it's yours.

Anybody have an idea why that thing popped up in my inventory today?

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
This discussion has been closed.