As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME! DO IT!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Knocked another game off my GameBank(™) tonight. Dark Messiah Might and Magic. What a GREAT game. As much as I love Skyrim, this game has the combat system down and other games should take notice.

Edit: Argh, TOTP.

vmtdB.gif

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    So Shoguns...should I buy this? This is an RTS/war game if I recall, right?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Masume wrote: »
    So Shoguns...should I buy this? This is an RTS/war game if I recall, right?

Yes and yes. The battles are massive and then there's an overworld campaign map where you do building, moving your armies around, etc. Beautiful game and also very easy to get into thanks to the massive in game encyclopedia.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    And yet...if you don't think you can enjoy the battles themselves and just want to enjoy the overworld map, i'd say you'll probably be happier with a Paradox game, like Europa Universalis 3 or Crusader Kings 2.

But holy shit are Shogun's battles good! They're basically considered by many (myself included) to be the best of their type around.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Knocked another game off my GameBank(™) tonight. Dark Messiah Might and Magic. What a GREAT game. As much as I love Skyrim, this game has the combat system down and other games should take notice.
    Rope Arrows. Kicking. This game has it ALL. Although it is less optimal, a full Sneaking run is pretty awesome, with all the Stealth kills you can do.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Rope Arrows. Kicking. This game has it ALL. Although it is less optimal, a full Sneaking run is pretty awesome, with all the Stealth kills you can do.

I ran a stealth run for Most of the game, but then when dealing with those damn Ghouls, I switched to sword and board and just stuck there. It felt nice not having to time every move, and being able to Sprint in and just bash faces!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Arrrgh, Ys is annoying the crap out of me. I'm trying to get it to work with my 360 pad, but I'm having real difficulty getting my button settings to stick. It keeps reverting to having jump be B, the menu be clicking the right stick, previous Bracelet is left bumper while next bracelet is Start.
    What?

I can usually get it mostly right but something will be off, so I have to go back into the configuration tool (BTW I hate games that keep most of the configuration stuff, particularly thing like input that you want to play around with outside the game itself), and all the buttons are set back to their defaults.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also, you can save your key config to file, but doing so reverts everything back to default and there's no way to load the config. I'm so lost.
    ah HA! Once you save the file, you have to dump it into the 'release' folder in Ys's folder in steamapps.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    And yet...if you don't think you can enjoy the battles themselves and just want to enjoy the overworld map, i'd say you'll probably be happier with a Paradox game, like Europa Universalis 3 or Crusader Kings 2.

But holy shit are Shogun's battles good! They're basically considered by many (myself included) to be the best of their type around.

Paradox even has Sengoku, a Europa engine game set in Feudal Japan.

And that video is the funniest damn thing.

• Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Euphoriac wrote: »

Paradox even has Sengoku, a Europa engine game set in Feudal Japan.

And that video is the funniest damn thing.

Sengoku is pretty excellent in the fact that it's a little faster paced and a little less gigantic in scope compared to the other Paradox games.

Shogun 2 is excellent though, even if some of the tactical decisions make no sense to me.

steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I love Shogun.

I, similarly, love Shogun 2. I do not play it though. Down that path leads madness. I have too many other things to play, currently, I see no reason to drop several hundred hours on Shogun 2. Maybe when I'm old and retired.

That game just consumes me for some reason.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Total War games are consuming. I think my total playtime for each TW game I have owned primarily on Steam is hovering around or above 100 hours.

Also, I don't get the comparisons to the Paradox style grand strategy games. Other than being strategy games, they share basically no other qualities.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    No real hard comparison. Just saying that these offer a meatier grand strategy experience than you are likely to find in TW game. Just talking about alternatives, really.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Not sure if posted yet:

died.png

Dark Souls PC release imminent?

• Options
    The things I've heard whispered about Dark Souls has me very intrigued indeed.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I'm fuckin in if it's true. Although even if it is, good odds it'd be a messy port.

• Options
    I bought it the first day it came out on PS3.

I will buy it the first day if it comes out on PC. Bad port be damned, I will be all over it like a fat kid on cake. Delicious german chocolate cake.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dark souls players would probably classify wrestling with bad controls as a feature rather than a bug :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think even if it were a bad port it would probably outperform the console version. Those stuttering sub 15 fps moments made the game hell in a lot of places.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Oh and according to Namco's FB page an announcement regarding Dark Souls is indeed coming:

http://www.facebook.com/darksouls

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Those bastards. Its one of the reasons I bought a PS3. Though I'd prefer a PC version anyway. Provided its a decent port.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Those bastards. Its one of the reasons I bought a PS3. Though I'd prefer a PC version anyway. Provided its a decent port.

You can still play the PS3 only Demon's souls. Which is very much worse then Dark Souls. Dark Souls is hard but I think it tries a little too hard to be fair.

Demon's Souls gave no fucks about being even remotely fair. Which I rather thought was in its favor.

edit: What I mean by fair is... Well, example: Dark souls you approach an area later by going up a huge staircase. At the top are these giant knights with shields and a huge reach. Whenever you meet these dudes you always have ample space nearby to work around them.

Demon's Souls? Similar dudes. Your battlefield, usually? A small walkway with a pit drop off to the side, or a small stairway with a pit drop on both sides thats barely big enough to stand on.

The only part in Dark souls I ever felt was truly a 'moment' was dodging these dudes with arrows while running along a rooftop wherein getting hit pretty much either killed you with damage or knocked you off.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Dark Souls. Intriguing. I've heard good things, but admit I don't know much about it. An open-world, sandboxy RPG in the same vein as The Elder Scrolls games? Or more action-focused and linear, with less wandering around doing whatever you fancy?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It's more linear. You can explore and have generally multiple things you can go off and do at one time, just down one path will be enemies that murders you very easily, so it's sort of linear if you value your sanity. It has RPG stuff but a lot of typical RPG elements like questing are pretty minimal. You'll get the big quest, and maybe stumble upon a sidequest or two along the way but it's more focused on exploring and doing the main stuff. The multiplayer element is pretty unique too.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    There's so much hype around Dark Souls, I can already see a good portion of the people getting disappointed when the PC version comes out, even if it's a good game and a good port.

I mean, I haven't played it myself, but I know I'll be disappointed if it's anything short of brilliant.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ashe wrote: »
    Dark Souls. Intriguing. I've heard good things, but admit I don't know much about it. An open-world, sandboxy RPG in the same vein as The Elder Scrolls games? Or more action-focused and linear, with less wandering around doing whatever you fancy?

It's not really open world, each area has a goal/boss with a couple of exceptions. You start out in a hub and there are a few different paths to go, however some will be closed until you progress to a story point. The world is all connected though, shortcuts are frequent and there is no loading from place to place.

Combat is very timing and skill based. Even when you're near endgame the enemies in the first area can easily take you out if you just rush in, so you have to be patient and certain when you attack.

Come and check out the Dark Souls thread!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Dark Souls PC release imminent?

Aww man, they can't do that to me.

I'm sure that's a game that has the potential to ruin me, and several controllers along the way.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ahhh! Too many good games coming (or are already) out! I still haven't gotten Arkham City! Leave me alone, though mistress of electronic lust!

Ahem.

Yes, I would like to play Dark Sould in order to see what the bruja-ha is about. I've never had a PS3.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, in a trend - SR3 is available as a digital download for £9.85 from Shopto. As always, don't know if it will work for non-UK folk, but anyone who doesn't have SR3 and wants it might find it useful.

Just don't ask why I'm tracking SR3 prices when I can't play it :)

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hmm, in a trend - SR3 is available as a digital download for £9.85 from Shopto. As always, don't know if it will work for non-UK folk, but anyone who doesn't have SR3 and wants it might find it useful.

Just don't ask why I'm tracking SR3 prices when I can't play it :)

if it doesn't work for non UK folk SR3 is steamworks anyway so Shopto will just give you a steam key, should be fairly easy for anyone here to find somebody to do it for them, I can do it if anybody needs me to

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Update to steam and now my icon looks different. Or maybe it's just me?

edit: Looks like there's a search bar in the friend's list now too.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Update to steam and now my icon looks different. Or maybe it's just me?

Some of mine seem different, though it might just be my imagination.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Maclay wrote: »
    Times up. Dyvim Tvar wins. By default, since nobody decided to enter. Fortunately there was only one person on my friend list who had it wishlisted.
    Maclay wrote: »
    Arkham City finally got patched (Steam version, at least), now I can finally safely play it. As soon as I get round to finishing Asylum. Unless the Mass Effect 3 patch shows up in the meantime.

Anyway, draw Batman & pm it to me in the next 24 hours. Best one gets my copy of Gothic 4. Because Batman is often gothic. Or something.

I personally don't enter drawing contests because I have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have a save file on the DS version
    oakke wrote: »
    There's so much hype around Dark Souls, I can already see a good portion of the people getting disappointed when the PC version comes out, even if it's a good game and a good port.

I mean, I haven't played it myself, but I know I'll be disappointed if it's anything short of brilliant.

I fear there may be backlash over it's fabled difficulty. There is an attitude of "I'm stuck therefore BAD GAEM DESIGN" out there.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Dark Souls is hard but it's also fair.

There are a couple of times where it can fuck you over but most of the time your death is a result of wanting to rush through enemies or being impatient in general. The enemies aren't just trash on your way to the boss, each is a challenge in itself.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I have Demon's Souls on PS3 and while it's a cool game, I don't really have the patience for it. Maybe I'll go back to it one day.

Regardless, I also have no desire to play Dark Souls, but it's cool if they're planning on bringing it to the PC. It's kind of neat seeing Japanese games getting PC releases over here.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Is Spellforce 2 as bad as it looks?

Like bad fanfic gone wrong.

• Options
    edited March 2012

It's actually pretty good.

Story is a bit on the generic fantasy side though. Said it earlier in the thread but it is a bit dated in that the whole RPG/RTS mashup is far more commonplace these days so some of the unique aspects are a little bit less than when it came out.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is there ANY way to reset your Steam password if you can't access your client? I wanna grab some specials and I only have three hours left to do it and the fucking thing won't let me log in.

Bah, never mind. It finally worked

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Probably not, the reviews are really good.

This discussion has been closed.