Options

Pukio's Sketchbook (NSFW)

• Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank you guys! (And thanks for posting that crosshatching thing Nibcrom, I think it'll be helpful.)

Something I've been fuzting around with; it's obviously still in the beginning stages.

redwolf.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pukio, your work is amazing. I love it!

I'd like to see what you can do with a little more practise in the posing of your characters. You have some great concepts here but your characters are quite stiff and angular, and the action ends up being flat.

Pay attention to your lines of action.
    A handy chart rom Richard Williams.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh and one more thing about hips and shoulders

Wsq2w.png

feebsicle on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You have some great stuff Pukio, please post more!

Also, feebs, I cannot get over how awesome the image in your sig is.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh man, thanks so much feebs! I've just been starting to experiment with more dynamic posing, so this whole line of action business stuff should be really helpful (hilariously enough, I've applied that to animal drawings but never people...go figure. :|). Thanks!

And thanks F87; I just got my scanner and tablet in working order again, so here's to hoping!

Pukio on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I love that red cape/woods piece... for some reason it makes me think of some weird cross between Little Red Riding Hood and Russian myth/folktales.

also: holy cow feebs, those tips are awesomesauce.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks tapeslinger!

rob-botcolor.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    robots.jpg

maribot.jpg

maribotcolor.jpg

Ugh, this is the first time I've attempted to do shiny metal and it's a spectacular failure. I wanted the girlbot to be shinier than the brush/matte finish on the dudebot and it's just...not...working. BLARGH. If anyone has any tips for coloring metal, that would be rad.

Pukio on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find it is helpful for drawing metal to sketch in a point to show the direction of my light source -- at least temporarily (easy on a tablet, annoying on paper). That way your metal reflects correctly. Look at photos and life references to show how surrounding objects are reflected on the surface and how different light sources play on different kinds of metal.

I like the color choices on this piece, and you're definitely going in the right direction in that regard-- I think if anything you might want some brighter and contrasting highlights for reflected light because the general highlight directions look consistent enough to my (unprofessional) eye.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey, thanks! I think that's something I'll definitely play around with.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, I've been drawing stupid garbage all week.

pleasestop.jpg

babylon5facessmall-1.jpg
    (Click for bigger)

Pukio on
  • Options
    meowmixmeowmix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That kitty is getting spayed soon, right?

meowmix on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Awyup.

Pukio on
  • Options
    Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love the old man with the cane. I can HEAR him saying, "Good day to you SIR!". :)

Michael Vox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys remember when I drew things that weren't ridiculous?

whateven.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Never let anyone quash your dreams of Cowboy Skeletons.

It's all we've got.

Phthano on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You and me, Pukio.

We are skeletal cowboy buddies.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Skeleton cowboys forever! (Also seriously chico, I may have flipped a table while talking to Kochi: "Look at this stupid thing I drew." ".......Chico just linked me to this: [RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME FML]")

I've been getting way too invested with the scrapbooking aesthetic. I am slowly becoming a Texas Housewife (next up: bejeweled art).

scrapbook.jpg

Pukio on
  • Options
    Whoa, what up Penny Arcade.

Things I have been drawing: people facing left.

junk.png

junk2.png

• Options
    edited December 2011
    tumblr_lvwu7yax3c1qdqr3lo1_500.png

junk3.png

Pukio on
  • Options
    sketch3.png

sketch2.png

sketch1.png

I am never drawing clothes on anyone ever again. All naked people all the time.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Your work's been improving a ton the last couple months Pukio, good job I say and keep it up! Your style is kind of starting to remind me of Toji's a bit. I like it.

• Options
    Oh no, you can't just say things like 'Your style is kind of starting to remind me of Toji's a bit' and expect me to be at all functional for at least the next week and not just crying tears of joy openly on public transit. What have you done?

• Options

Some more sketches. The moral of this story is that eventually I will learn how to draw dude bodies so that I can just draw everyone naked forever because clothes are terrible.

sketches1-1.jpg

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    The two guys are great, the two women...not so great. The green one needs a glass of scotch or something sitting on the bar next to him.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Whoa this is belated of me, but - please tell me why they're not so great. I really appreciate any and all critique and while I know that both of those are kind of... showing my obsession more with curved lined than they are any sense of anatomical understand (Pink, why so lumpy? Green, your arm is ten miles long), the only way I can improve my eye is to know what other people are seeing that I'm doing wrong.

Anyway, some more miscellaneous sketching - mostly Good Omens and Natsume Ono fanart, but also just experimenting with a few different things.

sketchjunk-1.png

anxiety.png

Pukio on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Awesome. Really great. Keep it up man.

• Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anatomy isn't the right word for what is wrong with them. I mean, the blue one looks like a dude, the pink one is? I don't know? Boring? It's a profile view of something that looks more like a scientific illustration of intestines than a human being. That's why I found it interesting you felt you had some type of particular connection or strength with drawing women when in fact it appears to be the opposite (meaning you have a real strength at drawing dudes).

Both of the male characters are interesting and dynamic. They make me wonder about them and what is going on in their world. Both of the female characters are like...okay? I don't know what I am supposed to be taking from them. I guess I feel like with the women some sort of strange sense of conceptualism is being forced on me, while with the dudes I can just take some satisfaction from narrative. There are some complex ideas at play in combination with just straight up drawing issues, so it's certainly not the easiest critique to give but one that needs to be given none the less.

rts on
  • Options
    Ah but see, that's exactly the kind of thing I need to know so that you so much for the critique. I tend to truck along drawing in a vacuum, so it's not really surprising to me that I've got some wonky preconceptions about my own art. Not that I know the specifics, that definitely something I can apply going forward.

• Options
    fashionablebosscat.png
    characterjunk.png

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Yesyesyes!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks m3nace!

A thing I'm working on. My roommate, Beatfu, and I have been puttering around with this comic for a little bit and after taking a somewhat school-forced hiatus from it, we're coming back to it with fresh eyes and realizing the coloring style I was using wasn't working that great for the story. So I've been experimenting more with inking and black space. My roommate did all the clean line work before I went over it with a hatchet. Colors are temporary - slapped down so I could get a better feel for what I'd done so far.

comicjunk.png

Pukio on
  • Options
    junk-1.png

Blerghk.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Cool bar-alien.

• Options
    BeastroBeastro Illustration Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    this whole thread is awesome. Glad you chose this hobby. And yes...FUCK HELMETS!

Beastro on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Your pictures or moons and stars seem to breathe when I look at them.

All of it looks awesome.

• Options
    Aw geeze, thanks a bunch guys!

• Options
    junk7.png

• Options
    consistency.png

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Pukio, if your artwork was a woman I would ask her out in a shy manner because she is just so attractive.