As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

• Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Ray's open letter about "artisctic integrity" made me think about these things:

1. Has Bioware ever been above making changes to creative decisions due to financial reasons?

Ray writes: " I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team."

I find this an odd statement. I've read several interviews where Bioware writers talk about how time and money constraints (and really, they both boil down to just money) have resulted in script edits which they have disagreed with.

2. Was the final ending really what the development team had in mind, or were changes made due to financial reasons?

I think we all know about the many things the devs were talking about pre-release, and how different things ended up being. The devs have talked about how your choices matter and how there are many different varied endings. They've talked about it over and over again throughout the development cycle of the entire series. This is not what happened. Did they lie about the number of endings they planned, or did Bioware in fact pass their original plan because they were in a hurry to get the game out of the door?

3. Whose artistic vision are we supposed to be protecting anyway?

The Mass Effect franchise has been created by, if not exactly by a committee, by a very large group of people. If we only count the writers (minus the novel/comics writers), the series has had 12 writers so far according to IMDB. Most people who worked on ME1 have not worked on ME3. How much does the series have artistic integrity to begin with? Probably not that much: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/318210/20120322/mass-effect-3-ending-spoilers-bioware-forums.htm

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Watching
    Betraying Mordin on YouTube, cause I couldn't do it in game

and its really weird to see a Male Shephard.
    ........poor Mordin..........

Edit:

Man, half the shit I'm seeing on YouTube I didn't know could happen. Like,
    Mordin can live??
    I thought that was an either or. Man, say what you want about the ending, this is still one hell of a deep and awesome game. Loving the shit out of my 2nd playthrough.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Aww, the Premium Veteran packs are gone :(
    And what did I get in my latest Spectre pack? The fucking Hornet II. :rotate:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    This guy can finally play multiplayer on 360. Only took 18 days and several hours with EA support!

Gamertag is Sant Saviour, adding to the metatag.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Did I see people at the end of the last thread saying Prox Mine was better than Energy Drain?

That is legit actual crazy talk

Salarian Infiltrator is the only Infiltrator capable of dealing with shields, while prox mines primarily just do the same thing their ultra-powerful cloaked sniper or shotgun shots already do.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Did I see people at the end of the last thread saying Prox Mine was better than Energy Drain?

Salarian Infiltrator is the only Infiltrator capable of dealing with shields, while prox mines primarily just do the same thing their ultra-powerful cloaked sniper or shotgun shots already do.

Not to mention the huge survivability boost.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Quick question regarding Priority: Earth (not really spoilers, but still)
    Are the cinematics supposed to play in slow-motion? The Fleets Arrive played out normally, but the scene of Hammer landing in London played in slow-mo, as did the attack on No Man's Land.
    Just wondering if it's a weird glitch, or mean to be dramatic.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lux wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    You know, it's weird.
    In this one, the Turian councillor is the best councilor, and Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani is the best reporter. Didn't see that coming.

Yeah, I especially love how:
    Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani dodges your punch and tries to hit you, but then I falcon punched her into oblivion.

I do actually think they wasted an opportunity in ME3 to have her aboard the ship. I would have found her MUCH more engaging to have on my ship than random chipmunk woman.
    For a moment I thought that was an option. Like, if I had said "no" to Allers & Chakwas, I could instead recruit Al Jilani & Dr. Michel. Would have been cool.
    You can say no to Chakwas, or Maybe she has to have died in ME2 [Is that even possible I forget], you can then get Dr. Michel on the ship. No luck with a better Reporter though.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Just replaying this and yup, it's incredible. The ending does cast a dark shadow over everything you do but it's hard to deny just how great the rest of the game is

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular

Most people, I'm sad to say, have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, man. That's what makes having a discussion about builds so frustrating. Just try to take comfort in the fact that it's a ridiculous statement, and that nobody who knows their shit will agree with it.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Watching

Edit:

Mordin can live??
    I thought that was an either or. Man, say what you want about the ending, this is still one hell of a deep and awesome game. Loving the shit out of my 2nd playthrough.

yeah its based on
    if wrex is died in me1 and if your destoryed the data in me2 (then eve dies) mordin/not-mordin realizes curing them is pointless without wrex/eve. i think if you kill mordin with wrex alive he turns up later and you have to take him down and loose krogan support.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Watching

Edit:

Mordin can live??

yeah its based on
    if wrex is died in me1 and if your destoryed the data in me2 (then eve dies) mordin/not-mordin realizes curing them is pointless without wrex/eve. i think if you kill mordin with wrex alive he turns up later and you have to take him down and loose krogan support.
    My dickbag Shepard playthrough was rough.
    Shooting Mordin in the back and pumping a clip into Wrex on the Citadel were both heartbreaking.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Raggie wrote: »
    Ray's open letter about "artisctic integrity" made me think about these things:

1. Has Bioware ever been above making changes to creative decisions due to financial reasons?

Ray writes: " I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team."

I find this an odd statement. I've read several interviews where Bioware writers talk about how time and money constraints (and really, they both boil down to just money) have resulted in script edits which they have disagreed with.

2. Was the final ending really what the development team had in mind, or were changes made due to financial reasons?

I think we all know about the many things the devs were talking about pre-release, and how different things ended up being. The devs have talked about how your choices matter and how there are many different varied endings. They've talked about it over and over again throughout the development cycle of the entire series. This is not what happened. Did they lie about the number of endings they planned, or did Bioware in fact pass their original plan because they were in a hurry to get the game out of the door?

3. Whose artistic vision are we supposed to be protecting anyway?

The Mass Effect franchise has been created by, if not exactly by a committee, by a very large group of people. If we only count the writers (minus the novel/comics writers), the series has had 12 writers so far according to IMDB. Most people who worked on ME1 have not worked on ME3. How much does the series have artistic integrity to begin with? Probably not that much: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/318210/20120322/mass-effect-3-ending-spoilers-bioware-forums.htm

This has been going through my head too. If the whole Bioware group (or the writers group) agreed via consensus ala geth that the ending we got was fine and what they wanted to see, that would have more justification to defend it in the way it has been by all the smarmy journalists (that IGN guy that was linked in the cupcake article, jerkstore). But when you have two guys, albeit the top two guys for this game, ramming through their idea without having it check out with the already agreed/worked on story that was the bulk of the game, does that really hold the same weight? This is what makes trying to fit video games in as art stand out from paintings, and even film, just the sheer manpower/mind collective aspect of it. It can be done, it just needs to have those things taken into consideration, and I don't think using ME3's ending is where you want to have that argument start from.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

Most people, I'm sad to say, have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, man. That's what makes having a discussion about builds so frustrating. Just try to take comfort in the fact that it's a ridiculous statement, and that nobody who knows their shit will agree with it.

No one was saying that; they were saying that prox mine's 20% damage is better than 15% shield recharge speed. If you're using energy drain then what does recharge matter to you, and if you're vs. Reapers the only threats are Ravagers (who don't give a fuck about your shield) and somehow getting gibbed by banshees.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    You know, it's weird.
    In this one, the Turian councillor is the best councilor, and Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani is the best reporter. Didn't see that coming.
    And Zaal'Koris is the best quarian admiral.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    You know, it's weird.
    And Zaal'Koris is the best quarian admiral.

This.
    After realizing the game takes place over two months since earth was attacked, the quarians look even worse. The first time I played through it I thought the quarians had just attacked the geth right before the reaper invasion (they say 17 days, and I thought I was out there for a week or two at that point, and it was just a bad timing thing, so lets wrap it up as quickly as possible to go fight the reapers. That makes the whole thing now look just stupid on the quarians part, plus the whole shooting at me inside the dreadnaught thing.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Played a great round of bronze this morning as a two man papier-mache squad. I was a drell adept and the other dude was a drell vanguard. holy shit we revived each other a lot. We both made it out alive. I really wish they would reward more xp and creds for rounds with fewer than four players.

Had a weird glitch in one of my games last night. I couldn't reload my mattock. Like, literally oul dnot re-load. Could not re-fill ammo at all, for like a round and a half. Good thing I was playing an engineer, where powers matter more anyway. But it was weird. Then a round and a half later, I was able to re-load and re-stock ammo again.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    why can't people MOVE ON. ending sucked we get it, GET OVER IT. i seen kids who told santa is not real acting more mature then any of you right now. ending sucks DEAL WITH IT. i don't care about it anymore i want everyone to shut the fuck up about it, they make DLC to change it ok, if not DEAL WITH IT. GROW A QUAD AND MOVE ONE, please for the love of god i saw my transformers made into blackface puppets and the most badass bad guy in history of film turn into a punchline. you know what i did? i said that sucks and then saw what is on tv or on sale on stream. not once i send nutjob bay watermelon cupcakes, or did a pentation to have lucas to remove the fride. it sucks i hate it, i say it sucks to friends then i see what's on tv or what on sale on stream. why can't you people.

if this shit goes on to next year i pray 2012 is real and the world blows up. becuase even if the ending sucks, even if it the worse ending in history. this outlach is overblown to a point that it sad.

Mild confusion: The response to the ending at this point seems good natured and harmless.

With subdued amusement: At this juncture you seem to be the one having trouble getting over it.

I didn't type that spiel.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »

No one was saying that; they were saying that prox mine's 20% damage is better than 15% shield recharge speed. If you're using energy drain then what does recharge matter to you, and if you're vs. Reapers the only threats are Ravagers (who don't give a fuck about your shield) and somehow getting gibbed by banshees.

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

• Options
    Well, to be fair one person straight out said prox mines are a "million times better than energy drain"

I'm not gonna name names because I feel like I'd be singling someone out for making an incredibly embarrassing statement, but it's there in the last thread if you go looking for it.

Anyway Energy Drain is basically the entire reason Salarian Infiltrator is the best and maybe only really good infiltrator.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Lux wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You know, it's weird.

Yeah, I especially love how:
    Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani dodges your punch and tries to hit you, but then I falcon punched her into oblivion.

I do actually think they wasted an opportunity in ME3 to have her aboard the ship. I would have found her MUCH more engaging to have on my ship than random chipmunk woman.
    For a moment I thought that was an option. Like, if I had said "no" to Allers & Chakwas, I could instead recruit Al Jilani & Dr. Michel. Would have been cool.
    You can recruit Dr. Michel.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    See the reason why I will never 100% endorse video games are art, is I can see the finished product of "art" before I decide if I want to pay to have it in my home. "Pay first, see later" means no art for you. Narrow minded perhaps, but if I gotta buy it first, then its a product just like any other, and open to the same criticism/demand for change when it turns out to be broken/malformed/whateverthehell.

Also removing those premium vet packs makes me sad :( That's where I finally got my asari adept card!

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    One of every weapon but the N7 ones, time to graduate to Spectre packs full time!
    Well, to be fair one person straight out said prox mines are a "million times better than energy drain"

I'm not gonna name names because I feel like I'd be singling someone out for making an incredibly embarrassing statement, but it's there in the last thread if you go looking for it.

Anyway Energy Drain is basically the entire reason Salarian Infiltrator is the best and maybe only really good infiltrator.

Energy drain is great vs Geth and Cerberus, mediocre vs Reapers. If your aim is to solo Gold then by all means spec shields. If you want a little bit of team utility, get Proximity Mines and maybe use that one extra medigel for the 10% of the time your allies can't get to you (it's not like you're a Vanguard who charged across the map. You're invisible).

Beat a couple of Golds with my level 18 Salfiltrator rocking a Phalanx V, coming second both times (Asari Adept lol). Not got a single point in fitness, didn't burn a single medi-gel.

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    See the reason why I will never 100% endorse video games are art, is I can see the finished product of "art" before I decide if I want to pay to have it in my home. "Pay first, see later" means no art for you. Narrow minded perhaps, but if I gotta buy it first, then its a product just like any other, and open to the same criticism/demand for change when it turns out to be broken/malformed/whateverthehell.

Also removing those premium vet packs makes me sad :( That's where I finally got my asari adept card!

Except you were charged entry to the museum. Also, this entirely ignores the concept of 'performance art,' except the mimes on the street corner hoping you'll toss them cash.

But then, I hope you're not taking the mimes home :(

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    I realized with great horror last night that I will not likely get a good rifle for some time now when I got my Falcon II upgrade last night. I do keep getting Widow upgrades.. Yay!? I prefer to play asari adept or engineer's at this point though. I guess I should really give my Salarian infiltrator a good night of play and see how it works out.

• Options
    Ho-lee shit, the Geth Pulse Rifle with Marksman. To quote the guy outside the weapon shop in ME2, "it's like a non-stop barrage of death".

ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    One of every weapon but the N7 ones, time to graduate to Spectre packs full time!

Energy drain is great vs Geth and Cerberus, mediocre vs Reapers. If your aim is to solo Gold then by all means spec shields. If you want a little bit of team utility, get Proximity Mines and maybe use that one extra medigel for the 10% of the time your allies can't get to you (it's not like you're a Vanguard who charged across the map. You're invisible).

Beat a couple of Golds with my level 18 Salfiltrator rocking a Phalanx V, coming second both times (Asari Adept lol). Not got a single point in fitness, didn't burn a single medi-gel.

I'm confused because you're talking about Energy Drain like a defensive ability, as opposed to stripping and barriers, which Infiltrator otherwise has no way of dealing with, and detonating enemies.

• Options
    Like seriously I'm confused, do you think we're talking about one of the Fitness upgrades or something?

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Tried to get in a few matches before work today, for whatever reason morning pugs are consistently worse players. So many dudes who just wouldn't pay attention and had a banshee just mosey on up to them

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I play on such a substandard schedule as such I really haven't put for the effort to get my origin list updated with you fine scholars. Basically I don't want to have to play one game then bail on you. I intend to change that this weekend because god damn pugging silver matches have been so painful I might as well just play bronze for my cash monies.
    I get that people like to see what there capable of solo. But if you get your ass handed to you repeatedly maybe you should start hanging around with one of the other guys, you know, the ones not dying?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Side mission question:
    Towards the end, you can talk to the Elcor in the embasy area, and he'll ask you to help with an evacuation on Elcor-planet. I immediately rolled over there to get some Elcor mission action, but nothing was available, and scanning the planet didn't get anything done. Eventually kept playing and then went back to the Elcor to chat. He thanked me for the assistance. I don't even remember the Elcor showing up in any other conversations, what the heck happened?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Side mission question:
    Towards the end, you can talk to the Elcor in the embasy area, and he'll ask you to help with an evacuation on Elcor-planet. I immediately rolled over there to get some Elcor mission action, but nothing was available, and scanning the planet didn't get anything done. Eventually kept playing and then went back to the Elcor to chat. He thanked me for the assistance. I don't even remember the Elcor showing up in any other conversations, what the heck happened?
    That one's just a planet scan. I'm guessing you just didn't notice when it registered or something.

• Options
    Side mission question:
    This is common. It most likely means you scanned the planet before you talked him. Its one of several quirky quests that should just complete instead of making you think you need to fly back out to where ever they wanted you to go.

• Options
    Like seriously I'm confused, do you think we're talking about one of the Fitness upgrades or something?

Yeah, Energy Drain for shields and barriers. The decision you make isn't between Energy Drain and Proximity Mines (you're getting Energy Drain regardless), it's between Proximity Mines and Fitness.

Also let me revise that GPR statement into "a non-stop barrage of tickles". That gun does awful damage :D

ladi.png
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Bobble wrote: »

Except you were charged entry to the museum. Also, this entirely ignores the concept of 'performance art,' except the mimes on the street corner hoping you'll toss them cash.

But then, I hope you're not taking the mimes home :(

Paying entry to a Museum filled with art does not equal buying art. That would a fair analogy to going to a rental store, though. Paying to go to a museum doesn't require me to fork over the full price of any/all art inside of it. I did say it was kind of a narrow point of view, but I would equate this to going to a world renowned artist known for his amazingly life like paintings and commissioning him to make a painting of someone/thing, and getting water colors or some other shit in return. Amazingly life like body, but a cartoon head....ALMOST perfect, but not quite... I would be within my right to refuse payment of the commission, or demand refund, or demand that the project be completed properly.

Also, they can't claim artistic integrity if one or two writers completely removed themselves from the peer review system, wrote the ending themselves without input or review and then call it a day.
    in·teg·ri·ty
       [in-teg-ri-tee]
    noun
    adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

If they don't adhere to the ethical/artistic boundaries/principles out for the entire rest of the writing team, for something as drastic as the ending, then that is an actual LACK of integrity.

Edit: and that's all I'm going to say/discuss about the ending, cause I'm not looking to re-open that can of worms.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Quest tracking is really subpar in the game. I'd like to know what happened with the allocation of dev resources on that one.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Speaking of energy drain, playing with Orca, Sound Plush, and Cambiata last night, I realized a couple things.

One, vanguards are more fun when they charge/nova tech bursts and biotic explosions in the same group.

Two, an all Krogan headbutt match is the best thing ever. Never seen a Prime go down on silver because four Krogan are headbutting him at the same time.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Vanguard with biotic/tech support is hilarious.

Then you add incendiary ammo to the mix and its even funnier.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

Quest tracking is really subpar in the game. I'd like to know what happened with the allocation of dev resources on that one.
    We can only speculate.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Damnit.
    I wanted more Elcor.

When the Elcor ambassador mentioned that his people needed assistance I
    was supremely dissapointed we didn't get to go to their homeworld! I was sure we were going to get a really cool high gravity mission where you would land in a stolen Atlas or something (to fight the gravity or whatnot) and fight the Reapers while Elcor evacuated. But no, just planet scanning :( I wanted to see some walking tanks!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln