As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The thing is I generally agree with every one of her (the ex-friend's) points, she just was such a caricature of her beliefs that it literally was her lifestyle; every fifth word was something demeaning or making fun of another's beliefs in anything of the sort. It's just such a tasteless and juvenile thing to do. I think religion has done just as much good as bad for people, and to condemn current believing generations for actions of the past or to stereotype an entire religion based on the hardcore crazies of the world is something i'd expect from Baby's First Atheist.

Bleh! :(

Godfather on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Yep. I think the most important thing is to acknowledge that none of us will ever "know" the truth. You can believe what you believe and I'll believe what I believe.

As long as it isn't Scientology we can all get along great :P

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I can totally understand if atheists in America seem a bit up on their toes all the time. I mean just the fact that family values and belief can be more important in politics than logics is crazy.
    It seems to me that it's a self-perpetuating effect that was started by religious nutjobs long ago and to this day, claiming to be an atheist makes people think you're an immoral asshole who believes in science as a religion. I feel sad for atheists in America, they can be said to be a religious minority - not because they act like it, but because people believe they're just that and treat them like it. Characterizing atheism as a religion in general is bullcrap, yet I will say atheists can act like religious people in their proselytizing tone if they have one. This is to a degree something I've only ever heard of in America, where atheists act like that because there still are anti-secular nutjobs over there. Over here, we're about 80% atheist and agnostic and the rest don't really give a crap about any god either way.
    I feel bad for America for having an effect like that in the first place. If it really is as self-perpetuating an effect it'll maybe cause a devaluation in science in the long run and it seems to me that it does seeing as the increase in spending on science in America is almost at a halt and that's a disturbing development (well for you guys anyways). If a more positive perception of atheism doesn't develop soon, America will be stepping in the background and give up on its position as a scientific forerunner and arrogant atheists and religious nutjobs alike are to blame. Ideally both of them would just treat each other nice, however they tend to think of each other as the spawn of hell... so I guess it's your (the general population's) job to not judge any of them.

edit: also that Ron Paul guy doesn't believe in a secular America? What the, how the...

m3nace on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Yes, I agree with everything people said so far on the subject, atheism and religions are ideally cool, but people suck on both camps... come to think of it, people suck as a general rule, and that explains almost everything in every possible field of conversation.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Can somebody please invent a pill that rejuvenates the body and mind without the need for sleep please? I've been feeling like I haven't been getting enough sleep and it's turning me into a zombie at work.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    that Ron Paul guy doesn't believe in a secular America? What the, how the...

Things like this scare me.

Also sleep is pretty dumb. I don't want to waste a third of my life being unconscious.

Flay on
  • Options
    Grifter wrote: »
    Can somebody please invent a pill that rejuvenates the body and mind without the need for sleep please? I've been feeling like I haven't been getting enough sleep and it's turning me into a zombie at work.

I think it has been invented already, but its illegal and it causes a great harm to the body.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Flay wrote: »
    Also sleep is pretty dumb. I don't want to waste a third of my life being unconscious.

There's always lucid dreaming.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »

I think it has been invented already, but its illegal and it causes a great harm to the body.

I think there's stuff called modafinil that lets you stay up and alert for a day or two without problems.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I know what you mean about up in arms atheists, I try not to be one. Whichever idiots on either side talk the loudest get the attention of the masses and end up being to the spokesperson for their belief system. That being said, it is a little hard not being defensive about it sometimes, especially in a presidental election year where faith seems to be such a big fucking deal. Americans are still defending the seperation of church and state, a headshaking argument indeed. But being an atheist can be just as complex as any other belief system. I am a secular humanist, and one of my greatest joys of being one is being kind for the sake of being kind. If you believe something and you hold it dear I am not going to rag on you for it. If you try and tear me down because I don't believe what you do, then I will defend my stance.

It is like the KungFu approach to arguing. "Walk away rather than hurt, hurt rather than mame, mame rather than kill, kill only to save your life or the lives of others."

Lucid dreaming, fun trick, leave a nicotine patch on and go to bed, enjoy.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Tam have you read the latest One Piece?

A lot of neat stuff happened and I need to talk about it

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular

I've sort of tried to lucid dream, but it's too tough for me. Nicotine patch while sleeping? That sounds... unhealthy?

• Options
    m3nace wrote: »

you have to realize that you are dreaming to have a lucid dream.

As far as I can tell, I almost never dream. (yes I know, everyone will say "you just don't remember you dream" but the point remains- lucid dreaming is pointless if I can't remember the dream that I didn't have)

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    F87 wrote: »

I've sort of tried to lucid dream, but it's too tough for me. Nicotine patch while sleeping? That sounds... unhealthy?

Its still a lot less dangerous than smoking asleep

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Don't do a high dose one, seriously. If you are a non smoker it might make you sick to your stomach. But if you have some money to spend and a few people want to chip in and try it out, it is crazy. Walmart sells generic low dose ones for cheap.

I was trying to quit and had the patch but kept forgeting to take them off at night. It is nuts.

EDIT:After thinking and reading about it for a bit, I don't know if it would work for a non-smoker. The kickstart of the dreams seems to be that the brain is getting something it is only used to getting while awake. If anyone tries it let me know.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    I didn't have lucid dreams when I'd forget to take them off. Just really vivid/crazy dreams.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Wow.

If this was linked before I apologize; I only just saw this: http://www.zillamag.com/art/hyperrealistic-paintings-by-pedro-campos/

The most astonishing thing to me about those is they're oil.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Wow.

If this was linked before I apologize; I only just saw this: http://www.zillamag.com/art/hyperrealistic-paintings-by-pedro-campos/

JA-HE-SUS that detail.

• Options
    Nappuccino wrote: »

As far as I can tell, I almost never dream. (yes I know, everyone will say "you just don't remember you dream" but the point remains- lucid dreaming is pointless if I can't remember the dream that I didn't have)
    The thing is, you can train your brain to stay conscious and alert in dreams. All you have to do is, while awake, sometimes make sure you're not in a dream. Look around and see if something's out of the ordinary or try and remember the last two minutes you've just spent in full detail. That way your brain is likely to also do this while asleep and you may realize you're in a dream. Haven't tried it yet though.

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    On a topic unrelated to dreaming I got my hair cut
    Image220-1.gif

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Wow.

My brain simply cannot believe those are oil paintings. I mean I know they are, and I know that's one of the most talented people's work I've ever seen online, but I just don't believe it, at all.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

The thing is, you can train your brain to stay conscious and alert in dreams. All you have to do is, while awake, sometimes make sure you're not in a dream. Look around and see if something's out of the ordinary or try and remember the last two minutes you've just spent in full detail. That way your brain is likely to also do this while asleep and you may realize you're in a dream. Haven't tried it yet though.

No, I mean, as far as I can tell, most of my nights are spent without dreams. What few dreams I have are remembered as just very small fragments, seemingly happening just before I wake.

• Options
    By the way, it's my third anniversary being married to my wife. Yay! This year's presents are supposed to be leather. I don't know what to get her. We're currently living in separate countries so it's not like it has to get there today but I should probably try to find something leather. I suppose a purse or something would be appropriate?

• Options
    $(KGrHqZ,!oME63(ZymfmBOyrDPiVlQ~~60_35.JPG

??????

• Options
    Yeah.... maybe not.

• Options
    You can't ever say I didn't try to be helpful :P

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Is your wife an artist or writer like you? Cause then you can get a cool leather journal/sketchbook

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Is your wife an artist or writer like you? Cause then you can get a cool leather journal/sketchbook

Nah, she's not really into drawing or writing. That would be a cool idea. She keeps a moleskin notebook on her but that's mostly for writing lists and keeping a calendar. You know, things that people in the 21st century use a smart phone to do.

• Options
    She uses a moleskin for lists?

That is kind of baller to tell the truth.

• Options

No, I mean, as far as I can tell, most of my nights are spent without dreams. What few dreams I have are remembered as just very small fragments, seemingly happening just before I wake.

The thing is. When you've learned lucid dreaming you might never lose your consciousness fully. Some people are able to drift into sleep consciously, knowing that they're falling asleep. And the same goes for waking up, never fully unconscious.

• Options

The thing is. When you've learned lucid dreaming you might never lose your consciousness fully. Some people are able to drift into sleep consciously, knowing that they're falling asleep. And the same goes for waking up, never fully unconscious.

I don't see that ever happening for me. I've tried many things to fall asleep but, as long as my brain knows it is awake, sleep is an impossibility.

• Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    I'm the same way, Nappucino. Very, very rarely do I remember any dreams and I've never had luck with lucid dreaming either - I'm tried to teach myself to do it, but I always just end up passing out and sleeping normally.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I don't have internet at home, and that kind of sucks, but let me tell you something: I am going to bed early and getting a ton of sleep, because I have nothing really keeping me up to distract me.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I lucid dream quite regularly, though mostly these days it 's a recognition that my body is in an uncomfortable and/or potentially dangerous situation. I'll know that I am asleep, but for some reason I can't wake myself up. That can get pretty scary, particularly if I've rolled myself face down into my pillow. Though I can groan loudly to wake my wife up who will then in turn wake me up. Weird I know.

On the rare occasion I'll recognise that I am dreaming and just have a ton of sex and then do some flying afterwards.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I hate having lucid dreams when I should be waking up. Too often I hit snooze on an alarm or just keep going back to sleep so I can continue with the dream and get to the "end". I'll realize that there won't really be an end until I make it end, then I wake up with a headache from oversleeping.

I go into super lucid dreaming mode if I ever have a boy person stay over. I get paranoid about blanket sharing and drooling, so I keep very aware of every shift or turn I make. The lack of real sleep gets exhausting though!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    maybe that is the answer to my dream free sleeps.

Guess I'll have to have "that talk" with the lady friend.

"Yes, I know we aren't dating dating yet but I think we should sleep together. No! no, just like, at the same time. In the same place. So I can sleep lucidly. No, I'm not crazy! I swear! Why are you running away?"

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Sleeping with someone, not sex, just actually sharing a bed and getting quality sleep with someone for the first time was kinda horrible for me the first couple of days.

Apparently, I also fart in my sleep.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    getting quality sleep with someone else in the bed is really difficult for me. I seem to spend most of my relationships being exhausted (not always for the right reasons).

Doesn't help that boys are almost always furnaces at night.

tynic on
  • Options
    I had a real issue getting quality sleep with a girlfriend and now my wife in my bed. I guess I'm a pretty light sleeper for the most part. Once I bought a Tempurpedic mattress that changed, though. My wife seemed to do somersaults in her her sleep so that was always waking me up. It barely phases me now.

On the whole lucid dreaming thing; don't our minds need a certain amount of deep sleep? I was under the impression that REM state was only one stage of sleep before deep sleep which our body needs for true rest. Also, I'm assuming that most of us have seen Waking Life, right?

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular

I did this for awhile and it works pretty well. I can't read or write in my dreams (a la Batman) so whenever I would inexplicably have problems dialing a number or writing a note, I would know.

The problem is I think I just got lazy being so fucking vigilant all the time, or my brain started compensating, because the cues aren't as obvious anymore and I often miss them.

This discussion has been closed.