The Western Animation thread

• CururuCururu Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    What happened to his shield? I forgot.

Spoilered just in case:
    If I remember correctly, Loki destroyed it at the end of last season.

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Joolander wrote: »
    so it was bugging me that the spider cycle looked so familiar, and then it hit me
    it's totally the Dodge Tomahawk

dodge-tomahawk.jpg

or at least based on it

also, why is nobody talking about EMH?

we got
    Hulk and the Thing's little slap-fights

and DOOM absolutely wrecking both the Avengers' and FF's shit, strolling over to his throne and basically telling them to leave because he was bored

Avengers was definitely superior to Ultimate Spider-man.
    Doom was brilliant. Another worthy rendition. Who was the female assistant he had? Was she a new character?

I liked the relationships between the Avengers & FF. Iron Man & Reed Richards, in particular.
    His assistant is apparently supposed to be Lucia Von Bardas. At least if I recall correctly, she appeared in season 1 and Iron Man referred to her as Von Bardas.

@Pikapuff:
    Loki shattered his shield using the Odin Force in the final battle of season 1.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    This @name stuff is silly

jCyyTSo.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So Today's Adventure Time was the creepiest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen The Shining.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    If Adult Swim actually makes their Saturday night block Toonami, awesome. If people respond to this and they do nothing with it, I don't know how much more their few remaining anime fans can take.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »
    So Today's Adventure Time was the creepiest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen The Shining.

Nah, that would be the episode with the deer. Unless you are talking about the one with the clown nurses which was creepy as well.

steam_sig.png
    it was indeed clown nurses

jCyyTSo.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is that bird smoking?
    Don't judge me!

It was not that creepy for me but then I liked Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

But a crush is and can be awkard, creepy, and/or werid but how can you show it without explaining it?

I had a thought over Cartoon Network and Marketing. After the disaster that was Lego Ben Ten did that not teach them a lesson about toys and cartoons? I don't know if it's true why they canceled Sym-Bionic Titan was over the lack to market it as toys. I could go on and on with examples but I really doubt Toys as a judge of how well a show is doing is not really a good marker in this day in age

Brainleech on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    After the disaster that was Lego Ben Ten did that not teach them a lesson about toys and cartoons?
    Is there a story there? Or are you just uncannily familiar with Lego set sales?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lego ben ten was a disaster it seems because even on deep discounts and attempts to give them away failed

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    If Adult Swim actually makes their Saturday night block Toonami, awesome. If people respond to this and they do nothing with it, I don't know how much more their few remaining anime fans can take.

At this point they definitely need to act if they don't want to see a huge ratings drop, I heard rumors that the Toonami block they put on got them 1.4 million viewers. In other words, HUGE response. Is there anywhere we can find actual ratings results?

So I got around to watching Ultimate Spider Man. First impression: Ben Parker's gravestone looks like a penis.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    The guy they got to voice Peter Park/Spider-Man sounds way too old for the role. Granted he doesn't really look like a 15-year-old, but it doesn't help to that he both looks and sounds wrong for his age.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    The guy they got to voice Peter Park/Spider-Man sounds way too old for the role. Granted he doesn't really look like a 15-year-old, but it doesn't help to that he both looks and sounds wrong for his age.

...so they're doing Dawson Casting in animation now? Lovely.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

This isn't a new thing. Johnny Yong Bosch has played teenagers in Bleach and Code Geass.

• WankWank Registered User regular
    Tried to like USM. It blows. Spectacular spoiled me.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Wank wrote: »
    Tried to like USM. It blows. Spectacular spoiled me.

Wanting a higher quality show doesn't mean you're spoilt. It means they failed to meet the previous show's standards.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

Bah. It's Spider-man and his Amazing Friends or nothing.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

This isn't a new thing. Johnny Yong Bosch has played teenagers in Bleach and Code Geass.

Well, I know about that, and the middle-aged women playing prepubescent boys, but at least the characters are usually drawn to look like right age.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I finally broke down and watched Avatar over the last week or so. Just putting off watching the gigantic finale now. Goddamn how did I miss out on that.

I really wanted to like USM, right up until about twelve seconds after its announcement when I realized that it wouldn't just be a cartoon of the comic. I would have watched that, but I just have no urge to watch yet another series of high school student Peter Parker. Especially not with his new-found product placement superpowers. I guess I'm just too used to Amazing Spider-Man, but I'd kill for a modern show of adult Pete. Part of me wants to just load up the 90's show on Netflix, but I'm afraid of what I might see.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Everything I think of product placement in cartoons I think of the Brave and the Bold finale with the jokes about the Batman street luge.

They showed a much younger Parker being stuffed away by a much younger looking what's his face on the first day of High School, so I think he may be a junior.

SightTDW wrote: »
    I finally broke down and watched Avatar over the last week or so. Just putting off watching the gigantic finale now. Goddamn how did I miss out on that.
    Our household is slowly making our way through it (along with Community). I am repeatedly impressed with how clever the writing is and how cohesive the story progression.
    Also, Sakka turns into comedy gold in the second season. <3

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I thought it would be interesting to let people know that SFDebris, reviewer of Star Trek and other Science Fiction, is branching out into animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzzlYJkD_U

As a reviewer he's not for everyone, but I enjoy him.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

Alright stop right there.

90's Spider-man was awful.

nightmarenny on
    Help me raise a little cash for my transition costs
    https://gofund.me/fa5990a5
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

Even as a lad I wondered why everyone had lasers.

I thought it would be interesting to let people know that SFDebris, reviewer of Star Trek and other Science Fiction, is branching out into animation. As a reviewer he's not for everyone, but I enjoy him.
    Awesome, I really enjoy his videos, he puts a lot of work into researching the material when it warrants it.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I thought it would be interesting to let people know that SFDebris, reviewer of Star Trek and other Science Fiction, is branching out into animation. As a reviewer he's not for everyone, but I enjoy him.
    Awesome, I really enjoy his videos, he puts a lot of work into researching the material when it warrants it.

That last one is hilarious. Looking forward to some classic Anime reviews, I'm interested to see what his opinion on them is.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

I wouldn't say awful, but it certainly wouldn't hack it by today's standards.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Just watched the first episode of USM, and watching the 2nd during my oil change tonight. Spider-Man looks a lot taller and more buff than Peter. Next to Fury he was short, but still too adult in the shoulders. I like the style though (with funny 4th wall explanations and comic "POW"s in the shots). I hope I end up liking it...no cable so I bought the season on iTunes!

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

90s Spiderman couldn't show bullets, punches to the face, or blood.

I remember an episode where Spiderman's suit gets torn and this evil scientist or whatever finds the piece of cloth that ripped and decided to create a clone from the piece of his suit.

Even as a child I knew that was absolute bullshit

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    crossed from SE++, I think we did it. They listened.

tumblr_m1zhdo2xeD1r63bwqo1_500.jpg

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Is that bird smoking?
    Don't judge me!

It was not that creepy for me but then I liked Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

But a crush is and can be awkard, creepy, and/or werid but how can you show it without explaining it?

I had a thought over Cartoon Network and Marketing. After the disaster that was Lego Ben Ten did that not teach them a lesson about toys and cartoons? I don't know if it's true why they canceled Sym-Bionic Titan was over the lack to market it as toys. I could go on and on with examples but I really doubt Toys as a judge of how well a show is doing is not really a good marker in this day in age

Hahaha no no that episode, the one after it, the clown nurses. I still think the deer episode is creepier, except
    when they throw the dead deer into the whirlpool. It is so shocking and so funny all at the same time. It's a kid's show! ...Kinda.

JKKaAGp.png
  • JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
    oh, that's the deer episode. yeah, super creepy.

jCyyTSo.png
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Spectacular blows.

90's Spiderman for life.

90s Spiderman couldn't show bullets, punches to the face, or blood.

I knew the real life reasons for it, just not the in-universe ones.

Also, if you dyed that Peter Parker's hair black he could pass for Bruce Wayne with that impressive jaw.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was most bothered by their insistence of giving every villain a new(and lame) backstory.

nightmarenny on
    Help me raise a little cash for my transition costs
    https://gofund.me/fa5990a5
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    NGH. God. I hope so. The past few years have been horrible. I'd say ever since Tim & Eric reared their ugly heads. Saturdays need a revival. Fast.

mw5qfhr7t7d2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.