As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Dram wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    And that is that. The final episode for season 2 of Wakfu. Hopefully France 3 green lights a season 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZ2yA9aGGk

What the hell, this is a better cartoon than anything i've seen released in years. Why isn't it airing in North America again?

Puns that are tough to translate, lots of cheesecake female design (it's French), some risque puns and gags (French), but most of all it is in the middle of the every-episode-takes-place-in-arcing-narrative vs. every-episode-is-standalone spectrum, making it difficult to pigeonhole for possible networks. There is plenty merch, a larger franchise and a whole MMORPG, though.

I think that's the problem with our kids shows today; we need more arching-narrative cartoons instead of annoying single-serving plots. We already get enough of that with the superhero action shows, why continue the trend? It's a good reason why I can't get invested in them these days.

When I was a kid I definitely watched things like Batman TAS and the like, but shows like Dragonball Z and Digimon always felt like the big event whereas the former felt like the snack before the feast. They were good, but they didn't allow me to get lost in that little made-up bubble of a world that the others created.

I think it's ironic that the only show of ours that's actually attempted an arching-narrative similar to those was Avatar, and people here praise it like it's the second coming of animation or whatever. I know it's good and all, but it's more-or-less american Shounen Jump so it never really seemed that special to me.

I do like that it had the stones to actually follow through with an arching narrative rather then the standard dull monster-of-the-week format that every other western cartoon does. I'd love to see more of that.

Didn't Justice League and Justice League Unlimited also have an arcing narrative in the same way? Relatively self-contained episodes which were also part of a much larger plot that would climax at the end of every season?

Spider-Man, X-Men, Gargoyles, and Beast Wars were all kids' shows that did this in the 90s as well. Also the 2003 Ninja Turtles show.

EXO Squad, Robotech (yeah, yeah, it's three anime series mushed together)....

Everytime I read about that I'm just shocked at how Carl Macek fused the three animes together somewhat seamlessly and had it make sense.

Yeah, the only major hiccup was protoculture. It went from meaning what it sounds like to an energy source.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Trailer for Rise of the Guardians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0M25mpJl8

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

Charming animation, cool mythology and concept. Looks like it could be pretty awesome if the story is solid.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Something about a crazy Russian, tattooed, two sword wielding Santa is instantly appealing.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I like how they are designed without looking stylized or with some general cohesion in mind. If you can understand my ludicrously vague choice of words. They didn't look too similar or too diverse, and they most definitely seem to be without cartoon 'tude or obvious stereotypical personalities. I liked the Boogeyman's look as well. Here's hoping.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Picked up the Ultimate Spider-Man comic based on the cartoon. It's pretty much cels from the first episode put in panel form.

I'm a a bit less hesitant now. Writing is good and there's some good chuckle moments. Lots of little visual jokes that could get annoying or enderating though.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That looks pretty darn spiffy!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    List of upfronts from Cartoon Network. Looks like Thundercats is dead, Young Justice and Green Lantern both survived, and Johnny Test is the cockroach that won't die.
    On the new side:

• Nick Cannon Sketch Comedy Series
    • Annoying Orange (yes, a show based on the YouTube video)
    • DreamWorks Dragons: The Series (based on How to Train Your Dragon, which is fine)
    • New LEGO Project
    • Ben 10: Omniverse
    • Beware the Batman (the one with a gun-toting Alfred)
    • Total Drama: Revenge of the Island

And the returning series...
    • Adventure Time
    • Regular Show
    • MAD
    • The Amazing World of Gumball
    • The Looney Tunes Show
    • Ninjago
    • Level Up
    • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    • Young Justice
    • Johnny Test
    • Pokémon
    • Green Lantern: The Animated Series
    • Almost Naked Animals
    • Casper's Scare School
    • Hero 108
    • Scaredy Squirrel
    • Sidekick

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/03/looks_like_the_thundercats_have_been_sent_back_to.php

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    And that is that. The final episode for season 2 of Wakfu. Hopefully France 3 green lights a season 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZ2yA9aGGk

What the hell, this is a better cartoon than anything i've seen released in years. Why isn't it airing in North America again?

Puns that are tough to translate, lots of cheesecake female design (it's French), some risque puns and gags (French), but most of all it is in the middle of the every-episode-takes-place-in-arcing-narrative vs. every-episode-is-standalone spectrum, making it difficult to pigeonhole for possible networks. There is plenty merch, a larger franchise and a whole MMORPG, though.

I think that's the problem with our kids shows today; we need more arching-narrative cartoons instead of annoying single-serving plots. We already get enough of that with the superhero action shows, why continue the trend? It's a good reason why I can't get invested in them these days.

When I was a kid I definitely watched things like Batman TAS and the like, but shows like Dragonball Z and Digimon always felt like the big event whereas the former felt like the snack before the feast. They were good, but they didn't allow me to get lost in that little made-up bubble of a world that the others created.

I think it's ironic that the only show of ours that's actually attempted an arching-narrative similar to those was Avatar, and people here praise it like it's the second coming of animation or whatever. I know it's good and all, but it's more-or-less american Shounen Jump so it never really seemed that special to me.

I do like that it had the stones to actually follow through with an arching narrative rather then the standard dull monster-of-the-week format that every other western cartoon does. I'd love to see more of that.

Didn't Justice League and Justice League Unlimited also have an arcing narrative in the same way? Relatively self-contained episodes which were also part of a much larger plot that would climax at the end of every season?

Spider-Man, X-Men, Gargoyles, and Beast Wars were all kids' shows that did this in the 90s as well. Also the 2003 Ninja Turtles show.

EXO Squad, Robotech (yeah, yeah, it's three anime series mushed together)....

Everytime I read about that I'm just shocked at how Carl Macek fused the three animes together somewhat seamlessly and had it make sense.

Not to mention the edits they had to make in the third saga. Still one of my all time favorite animated experiences.

Cept I can't rewatch it at all these days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I bet the producers are gonna have a hard time marketing this.

"So what, is this a holiday movie?"

"Not really, no"

"But you put Santa in it! That's for Christmas only!"

EDIT: Wait, it says Jack Frost is in this? Why wasn't he in the trailer?

Godfather on
  • Options

I bet the producers are gonna have a hard time marketing this.

"So what, is this a holiday movie?"

"Not really, no"

"But you put Santa in it! That's for Christmas only!"

EDIT: Wait, it says Jack Frost is in this? Why wasn't he in the trailer?

No idea, but he was in the first image they showed.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    do kids these days even know who Jack Frost is?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

I don't know, but I hope he's as bad ass as his Wiki image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Jack-frost.jpg

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »

I don't know, but I hope he's as bad ass as his Wiki image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Jack-frost.jpg

rise-of-the-guardians-jack-frost.jpg

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    That looks like a Kingdom Hearts character

• Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    I don't see any zippers.

We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    thick cotton hoodie + no shoes? what a poser

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    thick cotton hoodie + no shoes? what a poser

Come on man, he was cold before it was cool.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Don't forget: Spec Spidey and The Avengers start their seasons this Sunday on Disney XD. Newsarama has a screenshot from the Avengers showing something we haven't seen in an animated Marvel show in quite a while (spoiled for awesomeness):
    emhgroupshot.jpg

Namely, the entire Marvel Universe under one roof again. As much as it sucks to have Spec Spidey canned as a result of Disney/Marvel taking back the TV rights, stuff like this could make up for it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is there suddenly an abundance of fantastic superhero based animation?

Young Justice was great today and GL wasn't too bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    I admit that I'm not an expert in all of the characters in the DC universe, so it may be a legit character, but what's with the evil Spider-Man on today's Young Justice?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Cururu wrote: »
    I admit that I'm not an expert in all of the characters in the DC universe, so it may be a legit character, but what's with the evil Spider-Man on today's Young Justice?

IIRC the comic version is very different. The animated version is a homage to Spider-man.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Also to Weismen's previous animated show by having a brief cameo of Josh Keaton the voice of Peter Parker in The Spectacular Spider-Man.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    I thought the voice sounded familiar. I was mostly just curious because the 'homage' seemed a little too close to the original, but if the comic version is different, then that explains it.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I can't find it on youtube, but did anyone else think the giant robot in the DC Nation Superbaby short looked a lot like the Fruit Fucker?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I thought the voice sounded familiar. I was mostly just curious because the 'homage' seemed a little too close to the original, but if the comic version is different, then that explains it.

They can get away with it comics, cartoons & possibly live action tv series but it won't in films. That's when Hollywood gets really lawsuit happy over anything that might threaten their copyrights or trademarks.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

They can get away with it comics, cartoons & possibly live action tv series but it won't in films. That's when Hollywood gets really lawsuit happy over anything that might threaten their copyrights or trademarks.

DC and Marvel absolutely love tweaking each other like this. DC is especially fond of giving X-Men and Fantastic Four knockoffs cancer to make fun of their origins.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Watching Adult Swim right now. Right when it hit midnight EST they started playing The Room. It cut out after 30 seconds and had Tom and Toonami instead of a usual bump, then it went into Bleach. I got super excited that it was Toonami, until I remembered what day it is.

Edit - Just doing little Toonami segments instead of bumps, it's kinda cool, even has Tom talking about what's on and such.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    They usually run The Room all night starting at midnight on April 1st. They're good about throwing in a twist occasionally, though. Like when they said they would show the ATHF movie on TV when it was just coming to theatres. They did, but it was only in full screen and with sound for a few minutes. The rest of the time it was in a tiny square at the bottom corner of the screen.

• Options
    They're actually doing a full Toonami schedule. Just showed the last episode of DBZ's Cell saga, Gundam up next, Tenchi after that. I'm nearing dangerous levels of nostalgia.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    This is pretty great.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Schedule so far those curious:
    Dragonball Z
    Gundam Wing
    Tenchi Muyo
    Outlaw Star

With new segments with Tom the host of toonami (he reviewed Mass Effect 3).

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    TOM reviewed Mass Effect 3 earlier. It was amazing.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dat Gundam Wing ending theme.

It's like I'm a kid again.

EDIT: That fucking outlaw star promo. Dammit.

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Razia wrote: »
    Dat Gundam Wing ending theme.

It's like I'm a kid again.

The little mashup/ad thing after Gundam, I had some chills down my spine there.

I forgot how crazy Tenchi Muyo is.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Goddamit I will never hate not having CN more than I do right now.

Also, latest episode of Transformers Prime, "Crossfire", was fucking fantastic. Everything I could want and condensed nicely into a single episode. This will be the one I try to get people to watch. Just like I do with "Time of Angels" in Doctor Who.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    God damnit CN, I have work in a few hours.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Well, what I want to know is what happens after Big O. Because Big O is part of their standard block.

• Options
    I guess Tom can swear since it's Adult Swim.

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    Well, what I want to know is what happens after Big O. Because Big O is part of their standard block.

I was really hoping for Kenshin or something else. Still, it's just awesome they did anything like this.

This discussion has been closed.