As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The only good thing about grinding out 500 eggs is that getting turned into a rabbit stacks with the Vrykul Drinking Horn.

Woo! Giant Bunny!

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I actually liked egg collecting. And I did it in Goldshire on an alt, so no flying. Eggs spawn fast and after the tenth round or so I knew all the possible egg locations so I got in the zone of rounding corners, moving the mouse to the location of a grass-hidden egg while looking at a location of a non-hidden egg (like on fence posts) and already orienting myself towards the next corner. It's easy and fast.

And complaining about WoW holidays being tedious is some serious bullshit, because a) they all are tedious in their own special ways, that's their point and b) just don't do them, if they're so bad.

RE: Holiday PvP achievements. I'm with forty there, it's stupid for all involved, even if people just trade it back and forth. I actually had to do the rabbit ears for females achievement in PvP, because this alt is on a server I know nobody on. I found a femtauren at last in an Arathi. But she was a Feral and cat form/stealth defending farm the whole game. So I parked my ass (also cat form/stealth) next to the farm flag and finally got lucky when she popped out to buff someone. My team probably wasn't happy to play 14vs15 for half the game there and School of Hard Knocks has this all the time.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I did it on my druid well after the first year. Wasn't that bad. Some required a couple tries, but still. I think the hardest one was actually EotS to be honest.

AV - if everyone goes to the first tower, be smart and don't do that :P Go to the second, third or forth. Third and forth have an added benefit of being inside the enemy base and if the rest of the team isn't there, they tend to get re-capped by the enemy automatically (since a few people usually end up back there). Helps to have some kind of stealth capability of course.

WSG - this is honestly the closest one to just playing the BG as normal.

AB - Flags are re-capturable. Not a big deal. Someone beats you, go for a different flag.

Honestly, it's not that hard. It's much more annoying to do something like Little Helper on my Druid who now can't shift forms because lol costumes.

Edit: Regarding tedium - most of the other holidays don't involve "run around in a circle fighting other people for spawn points for your holiday currency." I mean, you can argue various achievements suck but this is like the bulk of the holiday. You need chocolates to buy everything. This is ALL achievements. It would be much less annoying if they at least gave you a few dailies to do or something to earn chocolates through other methods. Right now it's only one, and it involves directly interacting with jackasses who will camp spawns and bitch at you for doing the holiday the way it's designed.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Anyone have any success soloing Al'ar? 85 rogue in normal/heroic DS gear with legendary daggers. Maybe I'll switch to Subtlety if I have trouble as Combat?

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Anyone have any success soloing Al'ar? 85 rogue in normal/heroic DS gear with legendary daggers. Maybe I'll switch to Subtlety if I have trouble as Combat?

Should be fairly easy.

• Options
    edited April 2012

The phoenix? It seems like I soloed him back in T11 gear on my Rogue (Assassination). It has been awhile though, I don't remember exactly. I seem to recall that being the ONLY one in there I could solo. But maybe I am mis-remembering.

(P.S. - Loot Reaver can go to hell for being poison-immune)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Noblegarden really needs more content, because all it has is egg collecting and egg collecting sucks as currently implemented.

Give us quests to search for some rare quest eggs all around the world.
    Slap a pair of bunny ears on someone and make them a crazy holiday boss.
    Add eggs to the possible loot you can get when looting a player in a battleground along with their insignia.
    etc.

Also, it seems this new store pet is just a recolor of the pet you get for the 150 pet achievement. Also it's apparently back to being account-wide and BoP so I guess the tradeable Guardian Cub thing didn't do as well as expected? Though making it not account-wide at this point would be rather silly since it will be in a few months anyways.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Lars wrote: »
    Noblegarden really needs more content, because all it has is egg collecting and egg collecting sucks as currently implemented.

Give us quests to search for some rare quest eggs all around the world.
    Slap a pair of bunny ears on someone and make them a crazy holiday boss.
    Add eggs to the possible loot you can get when looting a player in a battleground along with their insignia.
    etc.

Also, it seems this new store pet is just a recolor of the pet you get for the 150 pet achievement. Also it's apparently back to being account-wide and BoP so I guess the tradeable Guardian Cub thing didn't do as well as expected? Though making it not account-wide at this point would be rather silly since it will be in a few months anyways.

I agree, the holiday needs something. What's sad is that this was actually a revamp in the first place. Original holiday was eggs scattered all over the entire zone (which actually would still be way better than crowding the newbie towns) and they only dropped shitty 66 hp/sec food and very rarely the dress/tux. I do have fond memories of running around Northshire stealing the eggs from all the little level 1s :) I knew every damn spawn there by heart.

As for the pet, it's not a recolor, it just uses the same model skeleton. Which in turn used the same skeleton as the old Chinese dragon pets.

Anyways, the account-wide pets is probably why it's not being made AH-able. I suspect the price of Guardian Cubs will dip once that feature is active. And ultimately it just muddies the waters too much for it to be worth it. This way you're ending up with something that will be relatively the same as what it will be in a few months.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Man, Little Helper would suck with a Feral even more now. I did it back when WG was popular (ie, pre-Cata). Go in for defense, and sit in a turret all battle. Rack up kills, and mooch kills from others.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Speaking of account-wide pets, any idea how account-wide mounts will work whenever they get around to implementing that?

Obviously you won't be able to ride a wolf as an alliance character or an elekk as a horde character, but what will happen when you obtain them?

I see three possibilities:

1. If you obtain a kodo on your horde alt, all of your horde characters gain the kodo while all of the alliance characters automatically gain the equivalent mechanostrider, thus your number remains the same either way. This would also mean if you do the Ravasaur grind on your horde character, you'd never have to do the Wintersaber grind on an Alliance character since they are also treated as equivalent mounts by the faction transfer system.

2. If you obtain a kodo on your horde alt, only your horde characters gain a mount and so it's possible to have a different number of mounts depending on if you're currently on a horde or alliance alt. This would mean that if the only mounts you had on your account were wolves, then your alliance characters would have no mounts.

3. If you obtain a kodo on your horde alt, it is added to your spellbook for everyone but only horde characters can ride it (due to the racial restrictions that are already on it). Thus you can end up having like fifty or sixty grey'd out mounts in your spellbook by collecting all of the opposite faction's mounts. Though they'd likely remove the "Collect X Amount" achievements for mounts like they did for pets so it wouldn't matter.

Granted, 2 & 3 are pretty much the same thing, it's just whether or not you can see the other faction's mounts in your spellbook or not.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I wonder if they've ever going to ease up on the completely retarded method of obtaining epic gems.
    At this point, I am going to guess no. If they were planning on changing it, I would have expected it by the time they put in the DS nerf aura.

I'd like to hope they don't repeat this shit in Mists, but their complete lack of comment on the issue seems to imply they consider it to be a successful design.

• Options
    BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    It would be pretty easy for them to add them to a point vendor at some point. Epic gems in BC were initially fairly similarly difficult to acquire, although they at least came from mining in that case. I am surprised they abandoned the vendor option though, as no one really seemed to be against it.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Nobody wrote: »
    WSG: Not so bad if somebody on opposite faction is "helping" by dropping the flag for you, can be pretty ugly if there isn't because everybody will be spam clicking where they expect the flag to drop, and there's always that guy who's trying to grief everybody else on his team by returning all the flags himself.
    The flag returning mechanic in WoW is about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen anyway. It's based entirely on a clickfest, latency, luck of where the flag actually happens to pop out in comparison to people's cursors, and actually being on top of the target and not CC'd when it drops. Ranged specs in general, in particular hunters, are at a disadvantage in flag recovery since it is usually not to their advantage to place themselves right next to the enemy.

I'm pretty sure whichever office at Blizz HQ is responsible for PvP design was painted with lead based paint.

forty on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Man, Little Helper would suck with a Feral even more now. I did it back when WG was popular (ie, pre-Cata). Go in for defense, and sit in a turret all battle. Rack up kills, and mooch kills from others.

That's what IoC is for. You can either stay defensive and sit in turrets at your base, or get hangar and sit in the airship's guns.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Unless your raiding heroics you dont need epic gems.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    BolognaOni wrote: »
    It would be pretty easy for them to add them to a point vendor at some point. Epic gems in BC were initially fairly similarly difficult to acquire, although they at least came from mining in that case. I am surprised they abandoned the vendor option though, as no one really seemed to be against it.
    Easy to do? Yes. A good idea? Yes. But the WoW devs have shown us repeatedly that they will randomly shy away from easy, good changes. I think it might be paint fume leakage from the PvP office.

forty on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So there's a post up on the forums with a CM stating that the CM's have changed their avatars to spectral gryphons/windriders to indicate the Scroll of Resurrection promotion is half over

This could be a hint at MoP's release being earlier than some expected.

However, either way, if you've been toying with coming back, get your scrolls asap.

They've been out a month and a half-ish, so they'll probably be done at the end of may.

If you need a scroll send me a PM.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I dunno how good of an indication of the MoP release it is, there was what felt like a couple of months of testing T7 before wrath came out and we've only had one level 85+ zone to play so far.

• Options
    Hey, some people with an Annual Pass still don't have a beta invite, so no need to be talking release dates prematurely.

• Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Hey, some people with an Annual Pass still don't have a beta invite, so no need to be talking release dates prematurely.

True that.

• Options
    BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure whichever office at Blizz HQ is responsible for PvP design was painted with lead based paint.

In general, I just don't think WoW PvP is that good. Back in vanilla I had quite a bit of fun with it, but by eliminating open world, and going to cross-realm battle groups, it kind of lacks any real persistent world feel. If I want PvP challenge in that context, I sort of feel like there are a lot of skill based options that don't require me to grind gear in order to be fun. It just really feels like an afterthought when compared with the PvE game (which is really very good).

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Honestly, I wish they just put a cap on how many epic gems one can equip. The primary advantage I see to the set up is that they wouldn't have to ever worry about readjusting profession perks, since JC would never be at a disadvantage when people max out their gems, nor would BS have an advantage in such scenarios.

Also the whole idea of replacing every rare gem (assuming you're doing content that requires min/maxing) with epic gems is really rather tedious and making epic gems harder to get does nothing to solve that, nor does it really do a good job of making epics seem more special. I mean they can leave the current set up for acquiring epic gems in MoP, IMO they should have also done a weekly to let JCs get a slight edge on epic gem acquisition.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »

True that.

Erm. I get that some people are frustrated about the beta invite thingy; but would you seriously rather the game had a further release date just so you could get into beta?

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

And anyway, I wasn't trying to imply the game would be out in May or anything.

I'm still calling sometime in July, but we'll see.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mill wrote: »
    Honestly, I wish they just put a cap on how many epic gems one can equip. The primary advantage I see to the set up is that they wouldn't have to ever worry about readjusting profession perks, since JC would never be at a disadvantage when people max out their gems, nor would BS have an advantage in such scenarios.

Also the whole idea of replacing every rare gem (assuming you're doing content that requires min/maxing) with epic gems is really rather tedious and making epic gems harder to get does nothing to solve that, nor does it really do a good job of making epics seem more special. I mean they can leave the current set up for acquiring epic gems in MoP, IMO they should have also done a weekly to let JCs get a slight edge on epic gem acquisition.

That is actually a really good idea. Make epic cuts like 200 stat or something and make them unique to the color so you can have one of each color equiped. JCs then get a separate unique epic cut they can equip that is at the current 60 stat level. One of each color.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    I literally never saw any complaints about the WotLK gem model, nor did I ever see a blue acknowledge any perceived developer issues with it. I think that's what makes the current situation so baffling.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Seriously. VP is completely worthless at this point unless you're a crazy druid trying to get 4 pieces of each VP offered slot or something. Why aren't epic gems on the VP vendor? Why does the gem bag dropped by non-DW have a chance to drop green gems even? So dumb.

• Options
    Samphis wrote: »

True that.

Erm. I get that some people are frustrated about the beta invite thingy; but would you seriously rather the game had a further release date just so you could get into beta?

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

And anyway, I wasn't trying to imply the game would be out in May or anything.

I'm still calling sometime in July, but we'll see.

I'm not frustrated about not getting an invite yet, I'm just saying that I'll be ticked if my guaranteed beta invite amounts to a pre-release weekend stress test. :)

And I think for the last 3 releases (SC2, Cata, D3) they've announced the release date roughly 10 weeks prior. So July's still in play. I can't really make a guess, since I have no first-hand knowledge of the beta to go on. :P

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Seriously. VP is completely worthless at this point unless you're a crazy druid trying to get 4 pieces of each VP offered slot or something. Why aren't epic gems on the VP vendor? Why does the gem bag dropped by non-DW have a chance to drop green gems even? So dumb.

Though I don't think my idea is better than yours, I would be happy if they allowed the motes to be collected in LFR as well. Think about it - it would be in line with Blizzard's apparent design decision of making some things needlessly harder than in the past, and it would give people who have gotten all the gear they need a reason to run LFR if they want. Hell, even if you're running LFR for gear it would still act as a potential consolation prize. Shit, even putting in transmute recipes at this point would be enough in my opinion.

Basically, something that isn't largely RNG dependent for once would be the best course of action, though I doubt Blizzard will do that for some draconian reason.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I literally never saw any complaints about the WotLK gem model, nor did I ever see a blue acknowledge any perceived developer issues with it. I think that's what makes the current situation so baffling.

I imagine the idea is to make epic gems rare and, well, epic. The same thing they tried to do in 4.0 with Epic gear and such.

Whether that's a good design goal, well....

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Glyph of the Geist - Your Raise Dead spell summons a geist instead of a ghoul.
    Glyph of Aspects - New: Each time you activate a new Aspect, an animal companion representing that Aspect will follow you for 15 sec.
    Glyph of Disguise - When you Pick Pocket a humanoid enemy, you also copy their appearance for 5 min. Your disguise will unravel upon entering combat.

these are pretty cool

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    o god the quality of people in the troll heroics is AWFUL
    My mage is stuck in the heroic chain and gets some of the worst people I have ever seen because explaining how Jin'do works over and over for a hour gets old
    shryke wrote: »

I imagine the idea is to make epic gems rare and, well, epic. The same thing they tried to do in 4.0 with Epic gear and such.

Whether that's a good design goal, well....

:rotate:

I liked how you could play the slot machine in wrath for gear and grind your ass off in heroics for 3 months everyday for gear
    The current return to the treadmill of old was not a good plan

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

That is actually a really good idea. Make epic cuts like 200 stat or something and make them unique to the color so you can have one of each color equiped. JCs then get a separate unique epic cut they can equip that is at the current 60 stat level. One of each color.

That's the other advantage I forgetting. With a cap on epic gems, they could implement a model where the player does have to pay a little more attention to the socket bonuses available to them. IIRC the gem count is around 18-20 gem sockets for players sporting final tier gear, which is usually when they release epic gems, so 9 total seems reasonable, I suppose it could be bumped up to 12 if players can equip two of each color. That still leaves room for the three JC gems and number of slots that would need to be filled with rare gems.

Frankly, they could leave at 9 with players limited to three of each main color (red, blue, yellow) and up to six of one hybrid color (could fill all red and blue slots with purple gems), if they fixed itemization so that primary stat gems didn't always end up being better than secondary stat gems. When one point of a primary stat (str/int/agi) is always better than one point of a secondary stat (haste/crit/mastery), then it's no surprise when people always opt for the bold gem (str) over the smooth gem (crit), if we discount the few times where someone needs to hit a secondary stat threshold.

• Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    hmm added cata to my acc and it correctly shows on the battle.net, but when I log into the game it still says I only have wotlk
    is it simply a matter of waiting a while or did something go horribly wrong?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have no idea? the only person I know who accepted an scroll had the same problem but he goofed off a bit to see what was different and then had cata?

• Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    no, didn't get a scroll, my acc isn't eligible for that (started playing last month), I bought cataclysm today, only got up to wotlk at the beginning because I wasn't sure if I'll like it (but still wanted to try a death knight) and spending 30€ on something I don't like is less than spending 60

• Options
    The good from LFR: Got the chest token and the bracers.

The bad from LFR: Kiril goes to a Boomkin. Um, hello, Feral here?

The ugly from LFR: Due to egg hunting, I went through the whole thing with the Egg Basket equipped instead of the Scary Clown Staff. I still was higher than 17th for damage done.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Dear Blizzard: Please stop screwing over melee. I know we say this every expac, but when we're staring down H Blackhorn and seriously having people swap to their ranged alts with the 15% debuff, it should be considered a sign that something's wrong.

• Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

What? Ok that confirms 100% that my email was a fake then.
    Congratulations! You've been selected to participate in the beta test of World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria

As a beta test participant, you'll experience the new content and features of Mists of Pandaria before the expansion is released. Help the Alliance and Horde explore a strange world cloaked in mists, and wage war against the mysterious Sha energy that threatens to engulf the land. A whole new continent awaits!

Your feedback will directly impact the quality of the final game -- our developers are standing by!

SENDING US FEEDBACK:

We've put up forums where you can discuss the game, which you can find by going to http://www.battle.net and scrolling down to the beta forums. You are expected to follow the posting guidelines and forum Code of Conduct at all times while participating in any discussions. Maintaining a constructive dialog with fellow testers and Blizzard posters will help ensure the forums remain a positive place for discussing and providing feedback about Mists of Pandaria content.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

If you experience any difficulties running the beta game client, please visit the appropriate beta technical support forum or use our web form.

Thats what i got. Makes no sense that i would get in before Annual pass people. Though i have been on an extremely lucky streak with Blizz recently.

Sammich on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Dear Blizzard: Please stop screwing over melee. I know we say this every expac, but when we're staring down H Blackhorn and seriously having people swap to their ranged alts with the 15% debuff, it should be considered a sign that something's wrong.
    "Lol, MMOs and melee!!" have been a truism since... 1996 or something. I'd start gearing that ranged alt rather than hope for improvements on that front.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Sammich wrote: »

What? Ok that confirms 100% that my email was a fake then.
    Congratulations! You've been selected to participate in the beta test of World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria

As a beta test participant, you'll experience the new content and features of Mists of Pandaria before the expansion is released. Help the Alliance and Horde explore a strange world cloaked in mists, and wage war against the mysterious Sha energy that threatens to engulf the land. A whole new continent awaits!

Your feedback will directly impact the quality of the final game -- our developers are standing by!

SENDING US FEEDBACK:

We've put up forums where you can discuss the game, which you can find by going to http://www.battle.net and scrolling down to the beta forums. You are expected to follow the posting guidelines and forum Code of Conduct at all times while participating in any discussions. Maintaining a constructive dialog with fellow testers and Blizzard posters will help ensure the forums remain a positive place for discussing and providing feedback about Mists of Pandaria content.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

If you experience any difficulties running the beta game client, please visit the appropriate beta technical support forum or use our web form.

Thats what i got. Makes no sense that i would get in before Annual pass people. Though i have been on an extremely lucky streak with Blizz recently.

Have you checked your bnet account yet? Looks legit enough to me.

This discussion has been closed.