Options

[Trayvon Martin]'s Violent Attack on George Zimmerman

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    "Everyone knows that an armed man killing an unarmed man is wrong. They may find it hard to admit, but they know it."

THANK YOU.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    "Your life is a commodity!"

I...I don't think that's what he meant to say.

"Surprised the doubts I had."

The fuck is that supposed to mean?

_J_ on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In all this hubbub, there was an interesting article over on Salon.com this morning regarding SYG in Georgia: When “stand your ground” fails

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    This has Casey Anthony written all over it.

They may have over charged.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Since i haven't been posting much lately i'd like to take the oppurtunity to attest that TheNomadicCircle is a big loud troll.

Or just a dumb racist fuck.

Either way, go fuck yourself buddy.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    What pieces of "missing" evidence are there besides EMP accounts/paperwork (proof of Zimmerman's wounds) and autopsy results (direction and location of bullet wound)? There's evidence that was destroyed (blood stains on Zimmerman, Martin, and at the scene) but is there anything else that's still being withheld?

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Of course, I wouldn't come forward either. The Martin supporters sure seem to like taking potshots at the police, causing Zimmerman to go into hiding. I wouldn't doubt they would threaten physical violence or harm to your or your house if you stepped forwards and said anything other than "poor African-American boy".

christ dude. how are "the Martin supporters" taking the potshots at the police and threatening Zimmerman? there are probably very few out there who'd willingly go to such extremes. i doubt that most of the people on Trayvon's side are in support of such brute, ugly tactics of terror.

and what does "Martin supporters" mean to you anyway? maybe it's just your way of saying "black people". judging from your recent arguments, i wouldn't be surprised if you had some level of prejudice against blacks in ya.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    balerbower wrote: »
    Of course, I wouldn't come forward either. The Martin supporters sure seem to like taking potshots at the police, causing Zimmerman to go into hiding. I wouldn't doubt they would threaten physical violence or harm to your or your house if you stepped forwards and said anything other than "poor African-American boy".

christ dude. how are "the Martin supporters" taking the potshots at the police and threatening Zimmerman? there are probably very few out there who'd willingly go to such extremes. i doubt that most of the people on Trayvon's side are in support of such brute, ugly tactics of terror.

and what does "Martin supporters" mean to you anyway? maybe it's just your way of saying "black people". judging from your recent arguments, i wouldn't be surprised if you had some level of prejudice against blacks in ya.

In fairness, there were reports that a cop car got shot at near the place where Martin was killed.

But also, TNC is a troll, or at least that's what I choose to believe because I don't want to be reminded that people who think that feudalism is a good idea still exist.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

In fairness, there were reports that a cop car got shot at near the place where Martin was killed.

But also, TNC is a troll, or at least that's what I choose to believe because I don't want to be reminded that people who think that feudalism is a good idea still exist.

But fantasy is a more popular genre than ever.

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular

oh i knew that. i read about how some dumb dicks shot up a cop car in some article. but that's just what they are: just a few dumb dicks. they are the exception.

i just had a problem with TNC lumping in all "Martin supporters" with those few dudes who are clearly unstable and in support of nothing but their own destructive impulses

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular

i just had a problem with TNC lumping in all "Martin supporters" with those few dudes who are clearly unstable and in support of nothing but their own destructive impulses

Don't have a problem with anything TNC says. Just ignore.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Freerepublic is just darling right now.

I looked. I am sad.

"I wonder what will be racial makeup of the jury."

Wait, why is that sad?

People on both sides should be very interested in the racial makeup of the jury. You can bet Martin's parents won't be thrilled if the jury ends up all white males, given the legacy of the "all-white jury" in the South. Nor would Zimmerman be thrilled if the jury ends up all black mothers, although there's much less of a troublesome legacy there.

Even outside the South. A huge deal was made in the Rodney King case about the jury's racial composition, and that jury wasn't even all-white, but just majority-white. A big deal was made in the OJ Simpson murder trial about the jury having 9 blacks and 2 whites, when the initial jury pool was 40% whites and 28% blacks.

Or did you just mean it's sad that we haven't reached a "post-racial" world yet?

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    What pieces of "missing" evidence are there besides EMP accounts/paperwork (proof of Zimmerman's wounds) and autopsy results (direction and location of bullet wound)? There's evidence that was destroyed (blood stains on Zimmerman, Martin, and at the scene) but is there anything else that's still being withheld?

From the public? Plenty: Zimmerman’s statement to the police, witness’s full statements, the police report.
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    This has Casey Anthony written all over it.

They may have over charged.

It certainly is reminiscent of it.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The Casey Anthony case had no political implications, and did not divide people by party. Aside from media hysteria, the cases are nothing alike.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Personally, I think the initial charge reeks of political appeasement. Anything less than a charge that actually stated Murder would have been seen as more conspiracy, racism, etc etc. Sharpton and Jackson would have been holding another rally calling for the Feds to investigate Corey.

I think they overcharged and should have stuck with Manslaughter if they really wanted a conviction.

Now we are in for months and months of jury selection, and the talking heads on the networks will be running with this like the Casey Anthony trial.

Congrats George Zimmerman, even if you are found not guilty, your life is damn well over.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Esh wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    If they are going for second degree they must have some evidence Zimmerman started the PHYSICAL fight. Which would need to be either unreleased evidence, eye witness testimony, or something Zimmerman said when he talked to the prosecution without his lawyers. Which might explain why they dropped him. Will be interested to see which it is.

What they could have to go after 2nd degree is a bullet entry wound in Martin's back, meaning that Zimmerman had shot Martin in the back. That would rise to the level of murder, but not 1st-degree.

Without a pre-existing relationship between Zimmerman and Martin, getting a 1st-degree conviction would be incredibly difficult. 1st-degree requires premeditation AND planning - Zimmerman would have had to been planning to kill Martin before the confrontation ever started.

2nd-degree covers murder in the heat of the moment. Like if you get into a bar fight and stab the other guy to death. Or say, if you start a fight with some teenager and said teenager beats you up on the sidewalk, then walks away while insulting you. And that pisses you off so much that you pull out your gun and shoot the teenager in the back.

I feel like with a bullet to the back, his arrest would have happened A LOT sooner.

Maybe they just got the medical report back this week?

This is all just speculation, of course. "Bullet in the back" just leapt to mind as the most obvious way to physically disprove a self-defense claim. Short of Zimmerman shooting Martin as Martin was in the middle of some kind of spinning back kick, it's pretty understood that even hitting someone in the back is not "reasonable" self-defense, let alone shooting them in the back.

Heck, even in boxing and MMA where the rules are literally "Defend yourself at all times", they don't allow hitting someone in the back.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Personally, I think the initial charge reeks of political appeasement. Anything less than a charge that actually stated Murder would have been seen as more conspiracy, racism, etc etc. Sharpton and Jackson would have been holding another rally calling for the Feds to investigate Corey.

I think they overcharged and should have stuck with Manslaughter if they really wanted a conviction.

Now we are in for months and months of jury selection, and the talking heads on the networks will be running with this like the Casey Anthony trial.

Congrats George Zimmerman, even if you are found not guilty, your life is damn well over.

Is Florida one of those places where the jury can convict on a lesser charge if they think there's sufficient evidence for it?

• Options

I looked. I am sad.

Wait, why is that sad?

People on both sides should be very interested in the racial makeup of the jury. You can bet Martin's parents won't be thrilled if the jury ends up all white males, given the legacy of the "all-white jury" in the South. Nor would Zimmerman be thrilled if the jury ends up all black mothers, although there's much less of a troublesome legacy there.

Even outside the South. A huge deal was made in the Rodney King case about the jury's racial composition, and that jury wasn't even all-white, but just majority-white. A big deal was made in the OJ Simpson murder trial about the jury having 9 blacks and 2 whites, when the initial jury pool was 40% whites and 28% blacks.

Or did you just mean it's sad that we haven't reached a "post-racial" world yet?

It's sad that one of the first reactions was, "there better not be blacks on the jury!"

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

Is Florida one of those places where the jury can convict on a lesser charge if they think there's sufficient evidence for it?

I don't think so...

I mean, I am p sure the Casey Anthony trial would have ended differently if that was possible.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    The Casey Anthony case had no political implications, and did not divide people by party. Aside from media hysteria, the cases are nothing alike.

Has this actually happened? Beyond fringe groups, has anyone rallied behind Zimmerman? Like, has any Republican leadership backed him? The only thing I’ve heard from them is bashing Obama for the “if I had a son he’d look like Trayvon” thing and even then they didn’t back Zimmerman, they just bashed Obama.

Even most 2nd amendment nuts don’t want to be lumped in with the guy who shot and killed an unarmed minor.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Jesus, is anywhere like that? That's horrible.

"Good job, fucking up your case, Mr. Prosecution, but we'll do your job for you. Love, The Jury"

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I need you to cite something for this.

A young black man of small stature being followed by an (armed) older white man twice his size through alleyways at night? I'm pretty sure the person being followed has a right to not only be suspicious, but also get physically confrontational if they feel they are in imminent danger.

I think these self defense laws are, at least publicly, actually supposed to protect the stalkee in these situations, not the stalker, and especially not when the situation takes a turn against them.

I'm not an attorney, nor am I familiar enough with case law to say you are definitively wrong here. I'll concede this.

I also don't have time or easy access to provide cites for you. However, if you Google just a bit there are any number of law firms that actually provide lengthy explanations on the subject, from various states, often with,citations from case law.

From reading through several of these, in relation to this case and others, I've gotten the impression that the first use of physical force does require some overt action or some credible threat of imminent physical harm. Physical contact (or the overt threat of it) is a pretty big deal. Basically it's a longer road to get to a justified shove or punch than to progress from that first physical contact through the spectrum of physical force.

You'd basically have to look at it from a "what if no shots had been fired" perspective. If trayvon were alive, and arguing self defense, he'd have the same presumption of innocence. But he'd (in the context of our hypothetical) be arguing self defense against a man who had made no overt threats, and basically committed no crime.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

Has this actually happened? Beyond fringe groups, has anyone rallied behind Zimmerman? Like, has any Republican leadership backed him? The only thing I’ve heard from them is bashing Obama for the “if I had a son he’d look like Trayvon” thing and even then they didn’t back Zimmerman, they just bashed Obama.

Even most 2nd amendment nuts don’t want to be lumped in with the guy who shot and killed an unarmed minor.

Some of the Ron Paulbots here in Alabama were trying to collect money for some defense fund, but I dunno how organised that was.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

I'm not seeing the connection between the two either, other than the media circus and that they're both in Florida.

The Anthony case didn't even have proof that a homicide occurred. The baby could have died of SIDS or choked on vomit in her sleep - they couldn't even figure out the cause of death period, let alone whether the cause of death was directly attributable to the defendant.

Here, even Zimmerman admits he was the cause of Martin's death, by gunshot.

If Zimmerman is overcharging, it's like eating 3 Big Macs is overeating. Anthony was overcharging like eating every Big Mac in the entire McDonald's is overeating.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Republican leadership backed him?

Pretty sure he has Limbaugh's support.

• Options

I looked. I am sad.

Wait, why is that sad?

It's sad that one of the first reactions was, "there better not be blacks on the jury!"

Oh. Well, that's quite a different sentiment than "I wonder what the racial makeup of the jury will be."

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Link? I don't recall a bounty being issued.

Plenty of links on google, feel free to pick your poison News Outlet of Choice.

[tinfoil hat on the following should obviously be a joke]

As far as the crazy conspiracies go it is obvious this is all a ploy by Obama to stir up racial tensions in order to drive voters to the ballot boxs despite his lackluster performance over the last four years in solving all racial inequality issues that may have lead to racial motivated single issue voters staying home. In fact it would not surprise me if Eric Holder gave Zimmerman the gun himself, and it was engraved "go forth and purge the unclean in the alley's and by the mailbox's of your gated community".

[you may remove your tin foil now]

Detharin on
  • Options
    Jury instructions for 2nd Degree Murder cases in Florida:
    7.4 MURDER—SECOND DEGREE
    § 782.04(2), Fla.Stat.
    To prove the crime of Second Degree Murder, the State must prove the following three
    elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
    1. (Victim) is dead.
    2. The death was caused by the criminal act of (defendant).
    3. There was an unlawful killing of (victim) by an act imminently dangerous to another
    and demonstrating a depraved mind without regard for human life.
    Definitions.
    An ―act‖ includes a series of related actions arising from and performed pursuant to a
    single design or purpose.
    An act is ―imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind‖ if it is an
    act or series of acts that:
    1. a person of ordinary judgment would know is reasonably certain to kill or do
    serious bodily injury to another, and
    2. is done from ill will, hatred, spite, or an evil intent, and
    3. is of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life.
    In order to convict of Second Degree Murder, it is not necessary for the State to prove the
    defendant had an intent to cause death.

Steam
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Link? I don't recall a bounty being issued.

Plenty of links on google, feel free to pick your poison News Outlet of Choice.

[tinfoil hat on the following should obviously be a joke]

As far as the crazy conspiracies go it is obvious this is all a ploy by Obama to stir up racial tensions in order to drive voters to the ballot boxs despite his lackluster performance over the last four years in solving all racial inequality issues that may have lead to racial motivated single issue voters staying home. In fact it would not surprise me if Eric Holder gave Zimmerman the gun himself, and it was engraved "go forth and purge the unclean in the alley's and by the mailbox's of your gated community".

[you may remove your tin foil now]

The bounty was for Zimmerman's arrest and was promised by the New Black Panther Party. A fringe group even among fringe groups.

Since Zimmerman has been arrested, the bounty is moot.

Offering bounties for murder or criminal harm to Zimmerman is obviously illegal.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sheep wrote: »
    Republican leadership backed him?

Pretty sure he has Limbaugh's support.

We are past this.

By going Murder II they have left a whole lot of rope for the jury to hang the DA.

@bubbat you are pretty correct... Murder II is in the neighbor hood of what they can proove ((given what we know)) where as Casey Anthony they prosicuted poorly and could not directly prove too much.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I don't think so...

I mean, I am p sure the Casey Anthony trial would have ended differently if that was possible.

Yes, they can include lesser charges. The lesser included charges in the Anthony case were:
    - Aggravated manslaughter
    - Aggravated child abuse
    - Giving false statements to law enforcement (x4 counts)

She was found guilty of the last one (er, last 4, I guess).

However, there were some interviews by jurors afterwards that implied the jury may have thought convicting on the lesser charge of Aggravated Manslaughter would have carried the same sentence as a 1st-degree Murder conviction. Florida is a death penalty state.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Merely pointing out that there was in fact a bounty, even if it was placed by the fringiest of fringes. I think it is safe to say this incident is bringing out the worst in people.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I am so fucking happy there are actually charges, he's in custody, and maybe we'll actually have this whole thing resolved. Unless the case is completely and utterly fucked up, I don't care which way this goes, just as long as justice (a trial), is held.

No I don't.
  • Options
    In fact it would not surprise me if Eric Holder gave Zimmerman the gun himself, and it was engraved "go forth and purge the unclean in the alley's and by the mailbox's of your gated community".

oooh. It's that argument.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Agreed, I really didn't think they were going to press charges.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Merely pointing out that there was in fact a bounty, even if it was placed by the fringiest of fringes. I think it is safe to say this incident is bringing out the worst in people.

No. No, not really.

You need to read up on the New Black Panthers. They are a fringe, highly racist group, that was trying to capitalize on an incident for a bit of fame.

To say that this brings out the worst in people is equivalent to saying that the Westborough Baptist Church tends to be assholes on a bad week. There's no "bringing out the worst" when you're referencing a group of people who have very bad intentions to begin with.

• Options
    I was referring to bringing out the worst in people in general. Such as yourself when you called for horrible things to happen to him and his life to be spent in fear whether he was guilty or not. This incident fueled by the media has not been a pretty sight.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Esh wrote: »
    If they are going for second degree they must have some evidence Zimmerman started the PHYSICAL fight. Which would need to be either unreleased evidence, eye witness testimony, or something Zimmerman said when he talked to the prosecution without his lawyers. Which might explain why they dropped him. Will be interested to see which it is.

What they could have to go after 2nd degree is a bullet entry wound in Martin's back, meaning that Zimmerman had shot Martin in the back. That would rise to the level of murder, but not 1st-degree.

Without a pre-existing relationship between Zimmerman and Martin, getting a 1st-degree conviction would be incredibly difficult. 1st-degree requires premeditation AND planning - Zimmerman would have had to been planning to kill Martin before the confrontation ever started.

2nd-degree covers murder in the heat of the moment. Like if you get into a bar fight and stab the other guy to death. Or say, if you start a fight with some teenager and said teenager beats you up on the sidewalk, then walks away while insulting you. And that pisses you off so much that you pull out your gun and shoot the teenager in the back.

I feel like with a bullet to the back, his arrest would have happened A LOT sooner.

Sorry, I am not a lawyer, so does first degree murder require a plan to kill someone specific or can it be allowed if your planning to kill someone in general?

It would still be hard/impossible to prove but I wonder if a prior relationship is necessary.

Also, can the EMT testify to what treatment he gave Zimmerman? That would probably clear some of this confusion up without needing blurry pixels.

Yeah, it's extremely difficult to prove since it's only relevant in places with the death penalty. If there's no death penalty, then murder is murder.

And you can form intent to kill in the moment before you shoot someone.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    In fact it would not surprise me if Eric Holder gave Zimmerman the gun himself, and it was engraved "go forth and purge the unclean in the alley's and by the mailbox's of your gated community".

oooh. It's that argument.

Holder: Are you a Mexican drug lord?
    Zimmerman: No, I'm half-Peruvian.
    Holder: Close enough. Take these 20 crates of machine guns. Say, we need a name for this plan. What's your favorite Vin Diesel movie?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Jesus, is anywhere like that? That's horrible.

"Good job, fucking up your case, Mr. Prosecution, but we'll do your job for you. Love, The Jury"

I'll post more from home in a bit, but this is an ill informed wrong attitude about how lesser includeds work

This discussion has been closed.