The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[EVE] - A Game of Megathrons

18687899192101

Posts

  • DrainDrain TableTop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm on my way back into EVE, gonna re-apply to Merchi tonight. except I dont remember where I parked and I'm pretty sure I don't know the way back home, is Merchi still living in Deklein?

    Yes.

    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
  • SpacseaSpacsea Registered User
    How would a cormorant fair at suicide ganking? I won 25 of em in an ER (eve radio) contest and now i'm trying to figure out something productive (destructive) with them.

  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User
    Drain wrote: »
    I'm on my way back into EVE, gonna re-apply to Merchi tonight. except I dont remember where I parked and I'm pretty sure I don't know the way back home, is Merchi still living in Deklein?

    Yes.

    ...

    C3N for life!

  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Spacsea wrote: »
    How would a cormorant fair at suicide ganking? I won 25 of em in an ER (eve radio) contest and now i'm trying to figure out something productive (destructive) with them.

    Probably not so well - no damage bonus, only 1 low slot for damage mods makes me a sad suicidegankpanda

    However... they'd be great for podkilling (4 mids for 1 long point and three sensor boosters)

  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    They're apparently really nasty at sniping frigates from 90-100 km away in faction warfare. A little less useful in 0.0 though you could still sit on a gatecamp in one, particularly for podkilling as V1m mentions.

    Or just sell them/melt them down for minerals/give them away to cute newbies.

  • SpacseaSpacsea Registered User
    Wouldn't there be better frigates for pod killing? I'll have to look up the sniping though, that sounds fun (granted FW sucks)

  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Well yeah, but they're a T1 frigate, T1 ships are pretty much just cost-effective damage dealers with no other merits, not gonna top most other ships. You could do anti-support in a veefleet I suppose, don't know if 100 km is the range that tornadoes operate at.

    Oh, and I doubt a blaster cormorant would be completely terrible at suicide ganking, but you'd be better selling off the cormorants and buying catalysts with the ISK if you went that way.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    We're purging Venal and, uh, using dreads again

    Baidol on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You mean losing dreads?

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    I wish we were losing dreads.

    We haven't had a proper welp for a while.

  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    forecast.jpg

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    We're purging Venal and, uh, using dreads again

    "The greatest trick the CFC capfleet ever pulled was convincing Eve it didn't exist"

    ECOED.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    "What do you mean there are dreads doing a pos shot? Everyone knows the Goons fight in Rifters!"

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • StorkStork Registered User regular
    Dreads are the new rifters.

  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    With the game soon going on 10 years old, it's amazing to me the proliferation of Cap/Supercap ships in EVE the last 2 years. I haven't played in a long time, but I've seen numbers thrown around like 450 Titans? 2000+ Supercaps or something? Yeesh.

    On a sidenote to that: I'm really interested to see what will become of the Pathfinder MMO. If it actually gets to release, and if it delivers on an "EVE-like" ground experience. Ala Ultima Online 2.0 I guess...
    (Since it apparently has old EVE devs working on it with Paizo)

    JediNight on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    CCP has actually done something finally about the overabundance of supercaps, and there is a hint of more on the way.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    JediNight wrote: »
    With the game soon going on 10 years old, it's amazing to me the proliferation of Cap/Supercap ships in EVE the last 2 years. I haven't played in a long time, but I've seen numbers thrown around like 450 Titans? 2000+ Supercaps or something? Yeesh.

    On a sidenote to that: I'm really interested to see what will become of the Pathfinder MMO. If it actually gets to release, and if it delivers on an "EVE-like" ground experience. Ala Ultima Online 2.0 I guess...
    (Since it apparently has old EVE devs working on it with Paizo)

    Actuallly there are something like 870 titans and 4000 motherships

  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Actuallly there are something like 870 titans and 4000 motherships

    Good god. Too much jewing, not enough internet spaceship pewing!

  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    AAA tried invading a constellation of whs. It didn't go well for them. We don't tolerate that sort of stuff out here in mad max land.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    I heard. What, exactly, went down?

  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    forecast.jpg

    Well this was disquietingly prophetic.

    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • B_RB_R Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

    I'd love to get back into Eve but I just can't put up with how the game always ends up being a second job. All I really wanna do is fly around with like minded chilled out space vikings as we get into trouble raiding poor idiots out in nullsec, living in NPC stations and leaving the area only when we've managed to piss off everyone and drink all the beer. Fuck massive fleets and politics, I wanna be a small gang pirate.

    I might get interested into EVE online, but I just would like to know, if you can do things like that in the game.
    I don't enjoy grinding npcs or trading for hours, I can't find enough time to do all that, is EVE something for me?

  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Baidol wrote: »
    I heard. What, exactly, went down?

    They were trying to take a whole constellation of whs so they could farm without threats. Most of the major wormhole alliances banded together temporarily and counter-invaded during one of their invasions and wiped the floor with them. We are fully prepared for more evictions.

    intelnavi on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    But, but, everyone knows nullsec is the only real PVP, so Wormhole pilots are just scrubs who should head back to highsec, right? Right?! WHS alliances beating back a Nullsec alliance? UMPOSSIBLE!



    B_R: I could send you a 3 week free trial if you want. Drop me a PM with your email address. Without getting into MerchI you wouldn't get the "full EVE" experience (and the highsec area PVP experience is PVE heavy), but... yeah...

    As for doing stuff in game without having to worry about PVE content, well, EVE is freaking huge and sandboxy, and most people in Goonswarm, to my knowledge, don't do PVE much. However, it does take a while to get to the point where you can get Goonswarm to pay for your ships that you lose in PVP, so... I guess all I can say is "maybe."

    KiTA on
    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Nah. If you are willing to die in a fleet, someone will give you a ship to do it in.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    But, but, everyone knows nullsec is the only real PVP, so Wormhole pilots are just scrubs who should head back to highsec, right? Right?! WHS alliances beating back a Nullsec alliance? UMPOSSIBLE!



    B_R: I could send you a 3 week free trial if you want. Drop me a PM with your email address. Without getting into MerchI you wouldn't get the "full EVE" experience (and the highsec area PVP experience is PVE heavy), but... yeah...

    As for doing stuff in game without having to worry about PVE content, well, EVE is freaking huge and sandboxy, and most people in Goonswarm, to my knowledge, don't do PVE much. However, it does take a while to get to the point where you can get Goonswarm to pay for your ships that you lose in PVP, so... I guess all I can say is "maybe."

    There's no reason not to join Merchi as a new pilot unless you just don't want to do the Nullsec warfare thing, or you dislike goons (which I can understand).

    And I'm pretty sure you can be in a newbee blackbird in a couple weeks and then die and make 12m per death. The first few days do kinda suck though, since you can't really do much as you train a few vital skills. That's a good time to do the tutorials.

    I will say that as a newbie you'll be somewhat reliant on others in goonspace for a month or so, simply due to the skill requirements to either fly a drake or make all your money off PI, so hopefully you like flying rifters / thrashers.

    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I was actually commenting on his low post count, although 1000 isn't really low. I'm just jaded cause I am about to break the scientific notation barrier.

    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I was actually commenting on his low post count, although 1000 isn't really low. I'm just jaded cause I am about to break the scientific notation barrier.

    If we made people have >1k posts to join merchi, we'd have about 6 dudes in the corp.

    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    I heard. What, exactly, went down?

    They were trying to take a whole constellation of whs so they could farm without threats. Most of the major wormhole alliances banded together temporarily and counter-invaded during one of their invasions and wiped the floor with them. We are fully prepared for more evictions.

    Seems a bit unwise to piss off a horde of people with astrometric rangefinding 5. There are a lot of ways that can go horribly, horribly wrong.

  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's always funny when we find a WH to nullsec and go roaming. We know how to use dscan and combat probes very very very well, we use them every day. We WILL find your safes and you'll never even see the probes. Be very scared. That people in local thing throws us off a bit tho :)

    intelnavi on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    intelnavi wrote: »
    It's always funny when we find a WH to nullsec and go roaming. We know how to use dscan and combat probes very very very well, we use them every day. We WILL find your safes and you'll never even see the probes. Be very scared. That people in local thing throws us off a bit tho :)

    What kind of silly goose sits uncloaked in a safespot with hostiles in system? And of those people, which ones are smart enough to watch their dscan for probes? Anyone with a brain (who isn't afk) will either dock, go to a POS, or cloak up.

    Ellthiteren on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    People are dumb.

    Just look at our killboard for lossmails.

    The amount of people who do not read intel and do not scout is extraordinary.

  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    Luckily goons have evolved to feed upon their own tears when necessary.

  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    True, and I added that (who isn't afk) part because I totally got ganked by someone who came out of a wormhole while afk-hubbing.

  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    intelnavi wrote: »
    It's always funny when we find a WH to nullsec and go roaming. We know how to use dscan and combat probes very very very well, we use them every day. We WILL find your safes and you'll never even see the probes. Be very scared. That people in local thing throws us off a bit tho :)

    What kind of silly goose sits uncloaked in a safespot with hostiles in system? And of those people, which ones are smart enough to watch their dscan for probes? Anyone with a brain (who isn't afk) will either dock, go to a POS, or cloak up.

    One way or another, every fight that matters starts with a probe finding a target.
    I mean, doesn't it?

  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    One way or another, every fight that matters starts with a probe finding a target.
    I mean, doesn't it?

    No, I would imagine that sometimes someone does something provocatively retarded while they have a hostile cloaked on grid.

    Nothing sweeter than being that hostile cloaked on grid.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    Naw we can park bait at a gate, let someone attack because adjacent systems/intel channels are clear, and then 20 people pour out of a wh in system and warp on top of you.

    On the subject of combat probing, here is an ok guide. My process is a bit quicker, but it gives you an idea on how to combat scan someone in one scan. Then you take your probes off scan in case you need them again. Unless your target spams dscan in that 6-7 second window, they won't ever see it coming. This is probably more useful in whs since people don't often use dscan but still.

  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off. Escape while you can.Registered User regular
    Someone in our corp lost an orca a few weeks back to a log-in trap from a WH corp.

    That was pretty funny.

  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of course, nothing raises Goon morale like losing ships.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
This discussion has been closed.