Options

D'aww [chat]

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i had to teach myself hard work, focus, and time management.

aka you got adderall!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Only spool would spend all day arguing about this boring ass shit. DAMNIT, SPOOL. TALK ABOUT MASS EFFECT OR SOMETHING. :P

Bring me my angriest smiley face! :evil:

ME3 is the shit. I will kill so many Phantoms tonight!

I playe a vanguard for the first time last night, and it was ridiculous. Also, I killed a phantom in two hits. But it was comic insanity. Charging the badguys seems like the most terrible idea in history after playing infiltrators and engineers so much. I keep flailing around and missing the melee attacks and laughing at my desperate terribleness.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i had to teach myself hard work, focus, and time management.

aka you got adderall!

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Done with undergrad classes. Three finals and I get mah dugree.

Super grats!

On to higher education, or the real world?
    Pursuing le PhD in neuroscience.

ooo double super-grats!

I look forward to ignoring you work while I write papers about Cartesian dualism.
    hee hee

We were talking in class the other day about neuroscience, and how some people want to solve philosophical problems by appealing to FMRIs. Someone characterized it as, "We can know what X is by discerning where the brain lights up when someone feels X!"

To which the professor said, "I once said something like that and a student corrected me. You see, brains don't light up. The screen is what lights up."

Winky hates when I say this, but fMRI "thought reading" is a terrible pseudoscience right now. Maybe in the future it will work better, but right now it isn't worth the publishing.

You're totally doing it wrong. You're supposed to say that every philosophical question, ever, can be solved by shoving people into fMRIs and asking them Trolley problems.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    eh, gifted programs and grade skipping are a double edged sword. everyone around you telling you how smart and great you are can be dangerous when you leave your bubble and find out that there are a lot of people just as smart as you- and a lot of people way smarter.

Although it definitely wouldn't discourage me from recommending those kinds of things to anyone, a friend of mine in high school and probably one of the academically smartest people I knew had kind of a breakdown when he went to Harvey Mudd and was suddenly surrounded by people just as smart as he was.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

Finished building my parents' new computer. The passive power is working fine, everything seems to be seated correctly, but when I hit the power switch, it turns on for less than a second and then immediately turns off again. Fuck.
    is it shutting itself off cause it detects there is no fan running?

sounds like a fan / cooling issue.

Check your processor fan, the heat sink to make sure all the clamps are tight... did you use arctic gel?
    That's not exclusively a cooling issue.

Check the RAM firstly - I got some bad RAM which caused exactly this problem. One stick it booted, add the other it didn't.

After that you want to check for corrupted BIOS. I found on Gigabyte motherboards the CMOS memory can get corrupted and cause this exact symptom: touch a screwdriver to the reset pins to fix it.

Finally, check for any ground shorts - if it's turning on and the fans spin, then you're looking at just the initial surge before the ground fault kills it.
    I'll try the reset pins. Fans seem to be working just fine; they're how I know it's starting to turn on, then dying immediately.

Already tried fucking with the RAM, and shorting the power switch connector.

How would I go about checking for ground shorts?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hey windows 2007/Windows 7 stop pinning shit to the taskbar that is super annoying.

Also anyway to get a group policy to default to the old task bars without icons and as their text representation? There is going to be so much bitching I'd rather avoid it if I can.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    the majority of the kids from my gifted program are extremely successful right now.

but there is no middle ground.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    eh, gifted programs and grade skipping are a double edged sword. everyone around you telling you how smart and great you are can be dangerous when you leave your bubble and find out that there are a lot of people just as smart as you- and a lot of people way smarter.

gifted programs were only like that for me for the first couple of years

after that it was relentless This Is How Much You Suck

Tales of intrigue from the cul de sac can be interesting, but what about how it was in the hood?

I was part of a pilot program in Texas called "S.I.G.H.T.S." It was a sort of precursor to the gifted program.

The idea was to make gifted children even smarter per accelerated and innovative curriculum, but since it's Texas and busing was too obvious, would you care to guess how that noble goal panned out?

It turns out they were systemically separating white children from black and hispanic children at predominately black and hispanic inner city schools.

Whoops!

Nice try anyway, Texas.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

eh?

How is going from a situation where you are by far the smartest one around to a situation where you are one of many such smart kids (eg: an advanced class) a "bubble"?

I skipped 8th grade and effectively 11th and 12th (did running start and took all of my classes at a college for those grades) and my boy is in an advanced program in elementary.

I can tell you that in both cases it went from being in a bubble / coasting on little work because of the lack of challange to being in a peer group (at least intellecutally) and actually having to work.

that wasn't my experience at all. for me it was a few kids in a mentally gifted program, where we were constantly told how amazing we were. and we did indulgent projects- we started learning a foreign language years earlier than the other kids, for instance. we did extra recreational stuff. we got more access to computer labs.

it sounds like what y'all did was more productive, but for me i still wasn't challenged but i was just reassured that i was special. and then i realized that i'd always been treated with queer reverence and i didn't know how to spend hours leaning over a desk, working something out. i had to teach myself hard work, focus, and time management.

that might explain it, my own program's group had ~80 kids and I daresay RiemannLives' group was large too

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

eh?

How is going from a situation where you are by far the smartest one around to a situation where you are one of many such smart kids (eg: an advanced class) a "bubble"?

I skipped 8th grade and effectively 11th and 12th (did running start and took all of my classes at a college for those grades) and my boy is in an advanced program in elementary.

I can tell you that in both cases it went from being in a bubble / coasting on little work because of the lack of challange to being in a peer group (at least intellecutally) and actually having to work.

that wasn't my experience at all. for me it was a few kids in a mentally gifted program, where we were constantly told how amazing we were. and we did indulgent projects- we started learning a foreign language years earlier than the other kids, for instance. we did extra recreational stuff. we got more access to computer labs.

it sounds like what y'all did was more productive, but for me i still wasn't challenged but i was just reassured that i was special. and then i realized that i'd always been treated with queer reverence and i didn't know how to spend hours leaning over a desk, working something out. i had to teach myself hard work, focus, and time management.

weird.

though I definetly wouldn't call foreign language "indulgent".

For my boy moving to the advanced classes started in 3rd grade (edit: he is in 4th now) meant more homework, the math classes were about 2 years ahead and the teachers weren't such useless fucks just coasting to retirement.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    We all know that it's impossible to screen everything, and that he important thing in general is to create an environment where you can have conversations with your kids and guide them away from terrible ideas before they take root. But if you could take one expression of those terrible ideas and just strike it from the list for a few years, why not do it?

Actions can be terrible. Ideas are not terrible.

I find it quite surprising that you're engaging in the sorts of activities that one would find in the Santorum household. "Just WHERE did you get that copy of Darwin, young man?!"

I have to disagree... some ideas are terrible, straight up.
    I think it's possible to go far enough out on the fringe that we can locate some books most reasonable people agree are terrible. I'm not talking about a campaign of censorship either... I'm talking about one book.

In my view, the discussion about where the line should be, were it even possible to draw one, is different from one in which one group says in effect "there is no line". All literary works, to me, do not have equal value. Some of them are corrosive enough that I'd happily pick one and conceal it entirely, were that possible to do.

We can agree to disagree about the "terrible idea" issue.

I'm curious. Do you ever worry that by saying, "you are forbidden from reading X" you are increasing the likelihood that your child will seek out X?

I didn't get the sense that he was forbidding it. This is a hypothetical situation in which we magic the existence of X book until adulthood.

If I am wrong, and he is overtly telling his kid not to do read X, he might as well hand him a copy at the same time.

• Options
    Done with undergrad classes. Three finals and I get mah dugree.

Super grats!

On to higher education, or the real world?
    Pursuing le PhD in neuroscience.

ooo double super-grats!

I look forward to ignoring you work while I write papers about Cartesian dualism.
    hee hee

We were talking in class the other day about neuroscience, and how some people want to solve philosophical problems by appealing to FMRIs. Someone characterized it as, "We can know what X is by discerning where the brain lights up when someone feels X!"

To which the professor said, "I once said something like that and a student corrected me. You see, brains don't light up. The screen is what lights up."

Winky hates when I say this, but fMRI "thought reading" is a terrible pseudoscience right now. Maybe in the future it will work better, but right now it isn't worth the publishing.

oh definetly. Some of the simpler / older systems (like vision) are getting to be understood but that is so far from what people usually mean by "thought".

Don't worry _J_, there is still room left (though it's shrinking) for the god Philosopher of the Gaps.

Oh, you.

I don't want a god Philosopher of the Gaps. I want a recognition that this all started with Thales, and some acknowledgement of the problem of induction.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    the majority of the kids from my gifted program are extremely successful right now.

I think I'm probably the most successful person from my gifted program, and that's just because of where I am for grad school.

Most of the others burned out really early.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

eh?

weird.

though I definetly wouldn't call foreign language "indulgent".

For my boy moving to the advanced classes started in 3rd grade meant more homework, the math classes were about 2 years ahead and the teachers weren't such useless fucks just coasting to retirement.

indulgent is the wrong word. i just mean that it didn't accomplish the goal to which you're referring- challenging me. it's not like spanish 1 is conceptually difficult or requires a lot of hard work. it might have been useful, but i still wasn't pushed or challenged in any way. and because of that, it led to years of me thinking 'oh, so these dumb adults are throwing their best at me and it's still easy? i must be All That Is Man.' it is probably a large part of why i was attracted to objectivism.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The problem of induction is acknowledged in every Philo 101 class I've ever heard of. We all read Hume.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also thanks for the idea doctorarch, I think I have an idea on how to modify the egg sandwich a bit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    We all know that it's impossible to screen everything, and that he important thing in general is to create an environment where you can have conversations with your kids and guide them away from terrible ideas before they take root. But if you could take one expression of those terrible ideas and just strike it from the list for a few years, why not do it?

I find it quite surprising that you're engaging in the sorts of activities that one would find in the Santorum household. "Just WHERE did you get that copy of Darwin, young man?!"

I think it's possible to go far enough out on the fringe that we can locate some books most reasonable people agree are terrible. I'm not talking about a campaign of censorship either... I'm talking about one book.

In my view, the discussion about where the line should be, were it even possible to draw one, is different from one in which one group says in effect "there is no line". All literary works, to me, do not have equal value. Some of them are corrosive enough that I'd happily pick one and conceal it entirely, were that possible to do.

I'm curious. Do you ever worry that by saying, "you are forbidden from reading X" you are increasing the likelihood that your child will seek out X?

Oh, absolutely. In practice, I've only ever drawn a couple of boundaries like this... for example, I set aside Nineteen Eighty-Four until late teenage years, as well as Catcher in the Rye. Neither was bannnnned, but I did tell them "you guys aren't ready for this yet".

In actual parenting we don't do a lot of "you're not allowed", without adding an "until x condition is met" clause. Sometimes that condition is an age, sometimes not. They mostly respect the boundaries because we're not draconian, and since we recognize they're going to push the limits just naturally as kids, we try and move them regularly and be frank about our reasoning, and make sure we're available for discussions rather than being a thing to fear or hide behavior from.

Pretty much the only absolute 100% "oh you're fucked now" lines in the sand are stealing from us, lying and not copping to it when you're busted, and touching the guns without supervision.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    None of my schools had straight up gifted programs. We had advanced classes though. Usually just like math a year ahead or ap classes in high school. I was always in those except honors English.

Because I suck balls at English.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Also thanks for the idea doctorarch, I think I have an idea on how to modify the egg sandwich a bit.

Fried egg sandwich with havarti cheese is my go to meal for pre-gym lifting. What are your modification ideas? I'm thinking avocado.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options

The kids I grew up with, who were let into the gifted program, ended up as hubristic little failures.

When the school wanted me to skip a grade and put me into the gifted program my parents wouldn't let them. I'm quite grateful for that.

• Options
    i had unsupervised access to the guns really early. my uncle was fanatical about that.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    "I don't think this immigration check is likely to lead to elongated detention."

The problem is the check in the first place. You need a better way to establish probable cause.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I probably would have had an easier time in high school if I was born later. As it was I was at the end of the generation where the answer to ADHD was "you're kid is an undisciplined idiot and needs more structure in order to not be a fuckup."

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    1984? why? i had that as set reading when i was like 11

re: gifted programs

even the name is terrible and the first step down the road to failure

the basic problem is that we separate children by age rather than ability in every subject which is silly

but thug life

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Oh, absolutely. In practice, I've only ever drawn a couple of boundaries like this... for example, I set aside Nineteen Eighty-Four until late teenage years, as well as Catcher in the Rye. Neither was bannnnned, but I did tell them "you guys aren't ready for this yet".

In actual parenting we don't do a lot of "you're not allowed", without adding an "until x condition is met" clause. Sometimes that condition is an age, sometimes not. They mostly respect the boundaries because we're not draconian, and since we recognize they're going to push the limits just naturally as kids, we try and move them regularly and be frank about our reasoning, and make sure we're available for discussions rather than being a thing to fear or hide behavior from.

Pretty much the only absolute 100% "oh you're fucked now" lines in the sand are stealing from us, lying and not copping to it when you're busted, and touching the guns without supervision.

I hadn't thought about Catcher in the Rye. That book fucked me up.

Probably the best way to deal with that is, as you said, tell them they have to wait, and then raise them in such a way as to think that Holden Caulfield is a fuckhead.

Though, that'd be a very difficult conversation to have with a child. Telling them that they aren't in a position to understand something yet seems tantamount to the "you'll understand this when you're older" speech, and that hardly ever goes over well.

• Options
    1984? why? i had that as set reading when i was like 11

Well, I read it in 6th grade and didn't grasp it at all.. went back later and realized what I hadn't understood. So, parenting decision I guess... Animal Farm was a better book for younger ages, and 1984 imho works better when you can grapple with it as a teenager.

It's just, like, my opinion maan. :-)

• Options
    like i had supervised access with careful instruction for X many years. and then at a certain point- probably way younger than almost any of you would be comfortable with- i was given unsupervised access, with the rationale that it's the best way for me to learn to respect/fear the weapon instead of the adult glaring at me.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    "you guys aren't ready for this yet".

I love this phrasing, Spool. Gonna have to steal this. ;)

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    oh man i remember nox

that spell with the giant stone fist was so awesome

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

This is good. I wish more people were like this. I was taught that touching the rifle without supervision in the house was basically you are fucked zone. Guns were never a toy but a dangerous tool that until I was old enough and had enough education were never to be touched or used with out proper adult supervision.

I think that was basically the only big rule in the house. Most of the other stuff my parents winged it. Actually let me decide my own punishments which according to them lead me being punished more harshly than they would of. Guilt is a powerful tool in parenting.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

The kids I grew up with, who were let into the gifted program, ended up as hubristic little failures.

When the school wanted me to skip a grade and put me into the gifted program my parents wouldn't let them. I'm quite grateful for that.

I am curious what _J_ considers to be "failure". Are we talking like common usage "ended up washing out of highschool because of drug abuse and now lives in a shed in the woods behind their parents house" which was the usual kind of "failure" where I grew up? Or "they majored in communications"?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I am incredibly angry that a great name like Holden Caulfield is wasted on such a little pissant of a teenager

• Options
    Many people told me I was a failure for leaving college at 20. Parents, some people who I considered "best friends" (who are not that anymore), other family members, etc. It certainly colored my 20s.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Fuckity fuck fuck fuck.

Finished building my parents' new computer. The passive power is working fine, everything seems to be seated correctly, but when I hit the power switch, it turns on for less than a second and then immediately turns off again. Fuck.
    is it shutting itself off cause it detects there is no fan running?

sounds like a fan / cooling issue.

Check your processor fan, the heat sink to make sure all the clamps are tight... did you use arctic gel?
    That's not exclusively a cooling issue.

Check the RAM firstly - I got some bad RAM which caused exactly this problem. One stick it booted, add the other it didn't.

After that you want to check for corrupted BIOS. I found on Gigabyte motherboards the CMOS memory can get corrupted and cause this exact symptom: touch a screwdriver to the reset pins to fix it.

Finally, check for any ground shorts - if it's turning on and the fans spin, then you're looking at just the initial surge before the ground fault kills it.
    I'll try the reset pins. Fans seem to be working just fine; they're how I know it's starting to turn on, then dying immediately.

Already tried fucking with the RAM, and shorting the power switch connector.

How would I go about checking for ground shorts?

If it's anything, it would be putting in a motherboard stand off that's not actually sitting beneath a screw hole. My preferred strategy is to pull everything out and boot it up while it's sitting on wooden bench just to check if things are working, but that's a last resort most of the time.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Alright! I have completed my preliminary card list! 112 cards have been written! Time for me to start working on the art assets! It's gonna be ugly, but i don't care, it's gonna be fun...

it might be a bit silly, but i feel great just for doing something constructive, even if it's making a kind of derivative TCG.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Just tried reseating the processor, just in case, but no, that's pretty much idiot-proof. Even came with the thermal compound pre-applied.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    "So you want to use our software as a hosted solution even after I have repeatedly informed you that it was a bad idea, and you want us to provide an uptime SLA?"
    "Yes!"
    "No."

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    There is a kind of perpetual Cassandra problem to child rearing, in that the only way to really appreciate that the way you feel/think/are now is probably going to change is to actually have lived through a period or two of significant personal growth.

So a parent will know that their child will change, but the child won't believe this to be the case.

This discussion has been closed.