Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[COX] - City of Heroes Freedom is Live, TITAN WEAPONS are live also new iTrials

• NWKNWK Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I wonder if an Ill/Rad was able to do it before, even.

I can't recall a concrete example of it due to it having been so long ago, but I'd be surprised if an Ill/Rad couldn't solo a GM before i6, what with multiple sets of PA and Phantasms out.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • TornelcoTornelco Registered User regular
    Yeah, my Rad/Sonic defender was soloing GMs back in like i12 or something.

And I don't think anyone was pre-IOs, without the recharge it becomes difficult for them to tank it during the PA downtime. Might have been though can't really say for sure.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    So an interesting thing happened when I made my stupid joke staff fighter.
    I really fucking dug playing it.
    I didn't immediately look for Narbus or Scott to get me to the 30s. Everyone was so giddy with their bad puns that we all just decided to constantly team with each other because it was so much fun to see all of those cones and aoes going off. I actually managed to outlevel the Shining Stars Arc, and was depressed for about 5 minutes before yet another All Staff Team formed up and it got me to DOs. Then I literally spent the last 5 hours going through the Faultline Arc. Mainly because, believe it or not, there were people IN FAULTLINE. So once again Team Staff bogaloo'd our way through anything the game could throw at us.
    For a set that apparently is Sub-OP, doesn't do nearly enough damage blahblahblah, It's a set that's about as fucking versatile as Peanut Butter.
    Shit just goes with everything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    So you're saying I shouldn't buy Staff Fighting because I don't like peanut butter, right?

I leveled a character pretty much the way you describe, but spent way more of it solo.

Soloing stuff as a blaster builds character.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Staff has a lot going for it, and I'm surprised it's not considered top-tier. It's got the endurance usage of Claws, while also having superior mitigation (knockup and melee defense) and AoE ability. Maybe Sky Splitter sucks for soloing GMs or something. Recharge time isn't bad, either. With a few LotGs and/or an Agile Alpha you're looking at constant AoE goodness with zero downtime.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Oh man, that's the other thing. They were smart enough to realize that a set that's all about "1234,1234,1234" should be relatively fast on the uptake. So not only is the default pretty damn high, but they give you a Staff Form that raises the recharge even further!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    So a couple of questions.

No chance that Valk/Battle Maiden is going to get a redesign to use the staff set with her spear, is there?

And I read somewhere that there was a Preatorian Blue Steel back in the day (when Preatorians were just mirror universe villains) called Black Iron, but he was "killed by Cole for being too weak" (Shield defense/melee took too long to get working is my guess). Any truth to that?

newSig.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    There was a player-summit held by the devs today. Here's the highlights from at least the initial portion of it found on the CoH boards.
    Spoiler:

There's a couple of things not covered in the notes that I found over in the CoH thread at SA coming from someone who may be a dev that posts there.
    Spoiler:

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Speaking of the player summit...

I was there today, and part of going was a bag of small goodies. This included a Collectors DVD edition game code. I already have this.

So who wants it? It comes with the following:
    Prestige Power Slide
    VIP Badge on all characters (or Destined One for Villains)
    DVD edition cape, sort of translucent thing

First person to post that they want it will get the code PM'd to them whenever the hell I wake up tomorrow. Night!

steam_sig.png
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I would like that code please!

also yay pummit. but...stuff I knew because leaks. Whoops.

• ceresceres Your photo framed Raw within my mindSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    Damn, missed it. :(

And I am done with my graceless heart,
    So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart.

The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
    Narbus wrote: »
    I would like that code please!

also yay pummit. but...stuff I knew because leaks. Whoops.

We have a winner!

And yeah they teased the hell out of Zwill over that.

steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    I thought Destined One was for the CoV collector's edition?

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    I thought Destined One was for the CoV collector's edition?

Dunno, I just know that's what VIP shows up as for villains.

steam_sig.png
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    That old physical stuff pack, with a statesman HeroClix, is what it sounds like.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
    Dalantia wrote: »
    That old physical stuff pack, with a statesman HeroClix, is what it sounds like.

Yep, that's the one. Also had the PVP comic thing and the Paragon City map. I've been to both player summits now and they have given stuff like that at both. Old bonuses they had extras of. Shirts, badge holders, costume power codes from old Hero-cons, etc...

steam_sig.png
    I bought it the instant it became available. >_> I am a silly goose.

steam_sig.png
    have you guys seen this shit? I have to wonder whether or not Paragon thought to make the craft non-collidable. Otherwise, well, all sorts of popular places are about to get buried by impassable flyers.

have you guys seen this shit? I have to wonder whether or not Paragon thought to make the craft non-collidable. Otherwise, well, all sorts of popular places are about to get buried by impassable flyers.

Oh, that was fast. They showed that in a slide at the summit but I didn't realize they meant this soon.

Looks like its 700 points. I might save up for that. I don't even group that much and it'd be nice to have a perma-missionport every 30 min.

steam_sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it has a 30 minutes cooldown and there's no reason the flier would stay around for that long, so I dunno if there's a need to worry about being 'buried' under fliers.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    if the rapture don't come cousin, then pass the guns
    I'll burn'em for the return of my investment funds
    it has a 30 minutes cooldown and there's no reason the flier would stay around for that long, so I dunno if there's a need to worry about being 'buried' under fliers.

What happens if like 5-10 people all use it at once in the same spot? Like, right next to a quest giver or the Black Market/AH npc?

steam_sig.png
    MuddBudd wrote: »

What happens if like 5-10 people all use it at once in the same spot? Like, right next to a quest giver or the Black Market/AH npc?

This is what I'm referring to.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    again, the question is how long it persists. A minute, maybe? That just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    edited May 2012
    again, the question is how long it persists. A minute, maybe? That just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

15 people, all standing next to the Auction NPC, head off to their next mission. Leaving 15 aircraft there for a full minute. Now the AH is hard to target and, if they have collision, impossible to approach. As soon as they start to clear up, the cycle starts again.

And this isn't even taking into account people using this to grief other players in the same way, once they realize they can.

MuddBudd on
    steam_sig.png
    so basically, what if 15 people make a concerted effort to grief the market NPC (assuming these things aren't suppressed near the market like lots of stuff is?)

if it were me I'd probably just move over to a different marketeer npc, or take 30s and go to a different zone's market

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    Or be cool and /auctionhouse.

Anyway, it doesn't summon a "clickable" craft that everyone on the team has to hit, hop in, then it runs off. It works exactly like team teleport, where the most you get is a 10 second prompt asking if you want to take the thing to a mission. It shows up, the 'hop in' animation plays for everyone who had clicked yes, and then it's off to the mission door. The "hop out" animation plays and blammo. Away it goes.

Also the new Anniversary event is live. It's a reskin of the rikti/zombie invasions but with Nemesis because even though those are boring and stupid apparently they can be shit out really easy so fuck yeah low hanging fruit.

Get enough people together and a Nemesis AV spawns. Kill it and the the "A Nemesis Plot..." badge.

edited May 2012

Anyway, it doesn't summon a "clickable" craft that everyone on the team has to hit, hop in, then it runs off. It works exactly like team teleport, where the most you get is a 10 second prompt asking if you want to take the thing to a mission. It shows up, the 'hop in' animation plays for everyone who had clicked yes, and then it's off to the mission door. The "hop out" animation plays and blammo. Away it goes.

Also the new Anniversary event is live. It's a reskin of the rikti/zombie invasions but with Nemesis because even though those are boring and stupid apparently they can be shit out really easy so fuck yeah low hanging fruit.

Get enough people together and a Nemesis AV spawns. Kill it and the the "A Nemesis Plot..." badge.

Yeah I think they are still getting used to doing things like this. I almost feel like the game is on life support, if that makes sense. They seem just as shocked as anyone that their new business model is working, and now they have to learn to adjust to the new schedule.

I also suspect they aren't yet making quite enough money to develop large amounts of new content. I am happy it's working for them however.

MuddBudd on
    steam_sig.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Yeah I think they are still getting used to doing things like this. I almost feel like the game is on life support, if that makes sense. They seem just as shocked as anyone that their new business model is working, and now they have to learn to adjust to the new schedule.

I also suspect they aren't yet making quite enough money to develop large amounts of new content. I am happy it's working for them however.

this post is full of a lot of shit

like seriously

have you not paid a single bit of attention for the past three issues, man

jesus christ

edited May 2012
    Duders, since freedom hit they've released seven new powersets in addition to a full round of powerset proliferation (unless you like dominators). They've revamped Dark Astoria, added in First Ward, are about to launch Night Ward, and every issue has come with at least one new iTrial. I don't even know how many new costume sets and powers have come out.

I have absolutely no idea what you think life support looks like but this is not it. I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the stuff they've released and some of the choices they've made but there is no way to say they're not producing at a much, much faster clip than ever before they went free to play.

Narbus on
    edited May 2012
    Duders, since freedom hit they've released seven new powersets in addition to a full round of powerset proliferation (unless you like dominators). They've revamped Dark Astoria, added in First Ward, are about to launch Night Ward, and every issue has come with at least one new iTrial. I don't even know how many new costume sets and powers have come out.

I have absolutely no idea what you think life support looks like but this is not it. I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the stuff they've released and some of the choices they've made but there is no way to say they're not producing at a much, much faster clip than ever before they went free to play.

If you want to see a game on life support, check out Champions Online. They have plenty of players but, well, there's an awful lot of stagnation going on. Perfect World has managed to mire the game in (what I like to call) The Great Cash Shop Hellcycle.*

Spoiler:

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    Every time I get mad at this game, and sit there and question why I've given them over a thousand dollars over seven years, I look at Champions.
    "Well, it could be worse."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TubeTube Working As Intended Administrator, ClubPA admin
    I remember when Champions came out everyone was all "it's going to kill CoX!" and I played the beta and was all "no it isn't, it is a turd" and everyone was all "SHUT UP SHUT UP".

Totally right.

Well, don't get me wrong. I love Champion's gameplay. There are tons of different ways to skewer the bad guys. The problem, of course, is that I'm always skewering the same bad guys, in the same areas, for the same reasons, every time I roll a character. In CoH, unless I'm abusing Ouro, I can easily skip 2/3rds of the game's contacts and still hit 50 without any gaps.

• Great ScottGreat Scott Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The CO Beta was the only Beta I've ever been invited to where I got bored and logged off to play something else (COH, incidentally).

Waiting in line for a spot to wait for Ferd to respawn was just mind-boggling. I mean, who thinks world spawns for quest completion were a good idea? In 2009? While there were plenty of other problems and the game was released early, it was bad design that really killed CO.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • minirhyderminirhyder NYCRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, just started playing this game.
    Level 7 villain on Rogue Island for the moment. Would appreciate an invite into the supergroup :D

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    do we even have supergroups anymore?

do they even do anything?

dude, join the PA global channel, and you're part of the community

this isn't like other MMOs where it's join the guild or go fuck yourself

supergroups serve no real purpose

• Great ScottGreat Scott Registered User regular
    Sure SG's serve a purpose! They lower your Inf rewards at high levels ;)

minirhyder, look me up any time and I'll team with you redside. I have more globals than are in my sig but I'm always on at least one of those.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
    And they also give you a nice, centralized place to do crafting and cram random crap. >_>

Oddly, I'm always rather annoyed when I realize I haven't tagged a character into the Dawn, Twilight, or Midnight, because then I have to walk all the way over to someplace else, and I don't have access to the enhancement/salvage bins.

steam_sig.png
    or be like The Cool Kids, make a costume 3 inches away from copyright infringement and join my Supergroup,
    screenshot_2009-03-01-01-06-07_1.jpg
    giving you bonus access to the main PA supergroup base, which is pretty much the only reason to join a Supergroup these days.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    or be like The Cool Kids, make a costume 3 inches away from copyright infringement and join my Supergroup,
    Spoiler:
    giving you bonus access to the main PA supergroup base, which is pretty much the only reason to join a Supergroup these days.

Had some good times running as Princess of Guardia, a completely original Ice/TA troller and in no way inspired by Marle from Chrono Trigger.
    Spoiler:

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
This discussion has been closed.