As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PROTOTYPE2]: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Old Klingon Proverb

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You beat the game and select new game + from the main menu, loading up your latest save.
    You keep all of hellers upgrades that you have acquired. mutations, powers, everything, except tank and helicopter driving which wont unlock again until you get to the right point in the story. You still keep finishers and weaponize though, just can't hijack. The start of the game is a glorified tutorial mission and you cannot skip these parts or get full access to your powers until a little way into the game. These will go very quick if you skip cutscenes though.

All of the side missions and collectibles reset to where they were but you keep anything you got from them when you completed them the first time. So even though the blackboxes reset, if you don't want to collect them again then you don't have to.

You have to unlock the zones via story missions as well.

So you will be stuck on yellow zone until you unlock green etc. Or I should say, they will be stuck with your almost fully upgraded Heller.

You don't have to hunt down the guys that you consume to upgrade your powers again though, but you will still see dudes to eat in various missions. They give you EP bonuses instead to help you get the last levels.

Movement

I have been playing with movement all day. I think hitting the ground running works like this. You keep your momentum gathered from doing various air movements when you hit the ground and you will avoid the slight delay before Heller starts doing the sprint animation if you glide-dash into the ground.

So if you do a tiny hop from standing still, you need to glide-dash horizontally to get some horizontal momentum and then glide dash into the ground to hit the speed required to sprint from the start. Falling, by itself, doesn't give you momentum. Gliding will give you all the momentum you need but will stall your movement while in the air, slowing you down. That's why you have to dash to cancel it once you've gotten the glide momentum. The dash will push heller through the air faster than just gliding to the ground and he'll hit the ground faster in the end as well.
    Sometimes the best momentum is from a dash without gliding, sometimes it isn't. The only thing I know for sure is that it is possible to hit the ground running and you have to do it by using your dash and glide to build up speed in the air.

So instead of building up speed when you hit the ground you can actually build up all the speed required at the start of a jump instead.

The reason that dash into ground is still useful is because it makes the transition from landing to full sprint smoother (removes a delay between landing and sprinting again if you do it right), it lets you hit the sprint trigger again smoothly (instead of accidentally gliding to the ground and stalling yourself for a while) and in some cases it can give you the last bit of speed buildup you need to hit the ground running or move a little bit to pick a better landing spot (for example if you are about to land on an object that you can't jump from easily like a car you might dash a bit to avoid it).

But don't think of speed gaining now as something you do at the end of a jump. Instead it's something you need to do while in the air and once you've gotten it (which you'll gather from experience) you can actually just hit the ground gliding and Heller will get back to full speed after a small pause.

Naturally gaining this speed from a small jump is quite hard and in most cases it is a lot easier to just sprint up to full speed if you have some clear room.

I also think that this is not something they expect most people to know because quite frankly the platinum scores for the movement challenges for radnet are incredibly lax. The first one has 1:25 or something for platinum and I'm already at 1:13. I'm working on trying to hit 1:10, but my barrier now is not moving fast but precisely controlling the extreme speeds Heller is capable of moving at. I'm starting to lose time by overshooting due to unfamiliarity with how fast he is. He's also quite hard to corner at full speed so sometimes hitting the ground running means I miss an objective because I can't turn him into it properly.
    Also I'm able to run circles around all the enemies you have to chase. Hurry up slowpokes!

Once I'm fully familiar with this new method and no longer have confusing situations where things don't work like I think it should, I will make a video guide for those who are interested.

I'm so damn happy that I've figured this out. I was actually really disappointed that I couldn't find a way to move Heller smoothly and fast initially. Turns out it was just a really different way of doing things. Now that I have I can see myself spending happy hours tooling around the world learning all the different tricks I need to know to get the best speed and smoothness. *does a happy dance*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    hrm, i beat it but don't see an option for new game+

this is concerning

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did you save before quitting to menu? You gotta save in post game freeroam. If you haven't finished the blacknet missions you might need to do those first. I don't think you need to get all the collectibles but I could be wrong. I had done everything possible when I went to start a new game +.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    hrm, it says i'm at 80% despite beating the game and doing all side missions... i still need some black boxes and lairs but i thought i could skip those until later. my save is from post-game, i have no objectives on the map.

• Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    I beat this yesterday.
    I'm pretty surprised that they actually killed off Mercer. Not that I'll miss him.

I for one welcome our new Heller overlord. Pretty satisfying ending, though it ended a bit abruptly.

I wonder where the series goes from here?

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    This game is pretty much Venom Vs. Carnage done in reverse where Carnage is the one who creates Venom. I just love the Tendril powers, and black hole is my goto power. I love that the collectibles in this game are not set to stupid levels like they were in Prototype or Crackdown where there is a billion of them and if you don't follow the order correctly you'll spend days trying to find the one you missed.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    The load times in this game are fantastic, and by that I mean that there are like.. none. From load to play is seamless for a game like this. Very well done.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    @yalborap (and anyone else interested)

You prolly already know this already but just in case.

If you stand on top of a tank with no powers selected, target the tank and mash punch Heller will repeatedly stamp up and down on it.
    It's the "Curb Stomp" animation from Hulk and Prototype 1. It actually does a bit more damage than a punch and it adds up quick since it's a lot faster than his punches.

Also you have two kicks in unarmed. The basic punch combo of unarmed is four haymakers then a straight. If you hold punch on the haymakers he does the big side kick instead. Well if you hold punch on the straight he does a big fuck off front kick boot that knocks stuff flying and does much more damage. It's fairly bad ass.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    starting to get a bit frustrated with my game, since i can't seem to get new game+ to appear. my only two achievements are to fully upgrade heller and beat it on hard, which i'd like to do with all my powers. i also don't have insane unlocked, but i think i should?

is anyone else having this issue? i can't find it anywhere on any menu... not in the pause menu anywhere either...

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    after you beat the game it should be on the main menu, listed right under New Game.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    well fuck, mine does NOT say that

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    no idea man. that sucks. maybe google the problem? sometimes you'll find a workaround or a reason.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    i seem to have a corrupted save, looks like i'll have to upgrade my heller in normal and then start fresh for hard.
    it's odd, it knows i am done and i can play it fine, just won't display the right menu.
    sorta lame since i was looking forward to not unlocking stuff again...

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    What really bothers me in Prototype 2 is how much they beat you over the head with how evil Blackwatch is over and over

"The food is contaminated!" "So?" "Civilians will die!" "I don't give a fuck."

"I was just gonna show the video to my wife, no one else!" "I'll make sure of that." *BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*

*BLAM-BLAM-BLAM* "Sir! That was a child!" "So, he came from the infected zone, not taking any chances."

"I just have to go in there to save some puppies!" "Stand back, that's off limits." "But my pup-" *BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*
    Seriously, this. P2's plot is so hilariously ham-fisted I can't even begin to take it seriously. The original game's plot was Shakespearean compared to this nonsense. "Sir, are you certain we need to beat the pedestrians with AIDS-infected babies while simultaneously shitting into their food rations and smiling?" "Fall in line or I'll shove this gun up your fucking fuckity fuck fuck fuckerson, Private!" Jesus christ.

Tone it down a little next time, Radical.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i seem to have a corrupted save, looks like i'll have to upgrade my heller in normal and then start fresh for hard.
    it's odd, it knows i am done and i can play it fine, just won't display the right menu.
    sorta lame since i was looking forward to not unlocking stuff again...

i dont know if youre going to be able to max out your upgrades without NG+. it takes most of a second playthrough to finish leveling up, and i dont think theres any way to get that much xp without missions. unless you grind radnet stuff maybe? even if that would work it seems like that would take forever and be terrible though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    i get 40 EP for consuming brawlers, but it is quite a few levels to grind out with no missions
    i've got to find a way to get lots and lots of EP easy. finishers on strike teams sounds like a good idea too.
    i'm at level 19 right now.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is this game worth buying? From what I've seen the reviews don't seem to be topping the charts, but I enjoyed the first one enough for a while - even just running around fighting shit and making trouble, but my brother hated it.
    I don't have time for a new game at the moment but I might pick it up for ps3 in a month or so, I want another ps3 game to play during my school break.
    Should I?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    If you like running around causing trouble you'll love it.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Do you want to poke people in the head with your finger and watch them explode in a gory tendrilly mess that impales everyone nearby and drags them all to the original target only to have it explode causing everything to be really super dead while you quietly slink off since it takes a few seconds for the guy to initially explode? Y/Y

I'd put Y/N but anyone who doesn't think that's hilarious needs to get out more. :3

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Do you want to poke people in the head with your finger and watch them explode in a gory tendrilly mess that impales everyone nearby and drags them all to the original target only to have it explode causing everything to be really super dead while you quietly slink off since it takes a few seconds for the guy to initially explode? Y/Y

I'd put Y/N but anyone who doesn't think that's hilarious needs to get out more. :3

The only time it's not funny is when you want to eat him and accidently hit the button to stealthfully turn him into a bomb.

Then you have to grab him and nomnomnom and everyone freaks out.

...That was fun, actually.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, even when I hit the wrong button the results were hilarious no matter what. There is literally no wrong choice when you grab someone.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So that thing I said about glide dash. It definitely works. But...if you use it after jumping you wont get good height. It's for gaining speed travelling --> and also the best way to connect with the ground for achieving full speed.
    See now that I don't accidentally hold glide all the goddam time I actually managed to test something properly today. Took me this long to undo all that prototype 1 muscle memory.

Dash has two forms. Long and short.

Short dash will let you extend your jump. Very high. Long dash makes you drop afterwards.

Wanna see it? Hold jump to do a long jump, wait until he's left the ground, then mash jump as fast as you possibly can without holding it at all. Just tap the button lots and lots. He'll do three short dashes that will noticeably accelerate you upwards.
    Viola. Big jump.
    So yeah it still works. It also works differently depending on where in the jump you do it. I haven't worked out which part of the jump gives you the best height.

This tap dash versus holding the button dash is why I've been so confused. The short one transfers momentum. The long holding one loses momentum because the dash animation itself slows down near the end.

I tested it and you can get enough momentum to hit the ground running with just this short dash, but you still have to go along ---> with a dash before going down. So it's still about building speed in the jump itself.

But that's not all oh no.

Turns out if you do a huge triple dash jump, you get four count em four glides that will raise you slightly and make you travel further. You know how when you jump you can hit glide, then hit it again and you'll raise up slightly? Well you get one of these per dash you do and you get them all after a three dash jump.

Utilising this I have leapt from buildings in manhatten and landed miles away, much further than Mercer could even dream of. It's more or less flight. You can stay perfectly level if you time these glides right. If you do them quickly you can actually raise even higher than the biggest jump using only dashes.

Tomorrow I will throw together a quick demo of this because you can get massive distance with this change and the first time I did it right I turned around to see the building I had come from and I couldn't see it anymore. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Halfmex wrote: »
    What really bothers me in Prototype 2 is how much they beat you over the head with how evil Blackwatch is over and over

"The food is contaminated!" "So?" "Civilians will die!" "I don't give a fuck."

"I was just gonna show the video to my wife, no one else!" "I'll make sure of that." *BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*

*BLAM-BLAM-BLAM* "Sir! That was a child!" "So, he came from the infected zone, not taking any chances."

"I just have to go in there to save some puppies!" "Stand back, that's off limits." "But my pup-" *BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*
    Seriously, this. P2's plot is so hilariously ham-fisted I can't even begin to take it seriously. The original game's plot was Shakespearean compared to this nonsense. "Sir, are you certain we need to beat the pedestrians with AIDS-infected babies while simultaneously shitting into their food rations and smiling?" "Fall in line or I'll shove this gun up your fucking fuckity fuck fuck fuckerson, Private!" Jesus christ.

Tone it down a little next time, Radical.

The entire game is just comically dark and often cringe-worthy. I know I'm probably older (28) than the target teenage demographic, and maybe I'm giving myself too much credit, but I don't think there was any point in my life that I would have found the excessive profanity and dark-for-the-sake-of-being-dark plot to be cool. Who exactly do they think finds this stuff good? I guess if they're going for comically dark, then mission accomplished.

Everything really culminates perfectly during the last fight, when Heller says (minor spoiler):
    "I'm going to skull-fuck you and suck your DNA out the hole"

Ugh... I couldn't even type that without shuddering a little bit. I get that Heller's angry, but its really tough to reconcile with him trying to come off as a sympathetic dude.

Also found it hilarious that all of the evolved you fight are more or less standard models - blackwatch grunts, scientists, etc. - that have been slightly modified to look infected or whatever. Except for the one that you fight that gives you the whipfist power: she's a tall chick in a dark dress with long blonde hair. with a whip. Thankfully the game doesn't try to give her any backstory as a dominatrix that the virus chose to give whip powers to. Dear lord.

Also, speaking of evolved, another last boss spoiler:
    I liked the last fight, but it seemed like it could have been much better if Mercer didn't grab you every time you tried to leave the platform. Its not like the AI for a city-wide fight wasn't there either; during several of the evolved fights I would run pretty much as far as I wanted.

Slortex on
  • Options
    i like heller, because if MY wife and kid were dead and i was turned into a people eating monstrosity, i might say fuck a lot too

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    i like heller, because if MY wife and kid were dead and i was turned into a people eating monstrosity, i might say fuck a lot too

I'd be willing to bet he had the potty mouth before getting infected. I don't like Heller at all. I miss being Alex.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Dude, I say fuck a ton and still don't say fuck as much as Heller.

Yeah, I stopped giving any kinds of shits about the story and characters around the second island. At this point, I know I'm close enough to the end to breeze on through and send it back to Gamefly.

I wasn't a mega fan of the original, thought it was ok, kinda fun, preferred Infamous. This one is pretty much the same feeling. A solid 7, 3 stars, b-movie quality. I don't feel bad having played it, but I'll forget I did in 6 months.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Swearing has never bothered me so I guess I got lucky.

I know why they went the way of a simple story though. They had a wonderfully complicated story last time. Nobody understood it at all.
    So they tried to fix it.
    I don't actually blame them for going too far. The last story wasn't that hard to piece together and the majority of players had no fucking idea what was going on. So they gave up on players.

In any case, you might hate Heller. Cool. You might hate that he swears all the time. I can dig it, even if I don't understand it, I can dig that. But you can't say his voice actor wasn't good at delivering emotion. Because he was very good.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Swearing doesn't bother me in the least. Horrendously juvenile writing that seems to include swearing more than punctuation certainly does, however. I'm not offended by it here, I'm just really surprised. I wasn't expecting Oscar-caliber writing, but between being absolutely clobbered over the head by the "Look how evil we are, no seriously, we're evil, see, watch me eat this baby" Blackwatch and the juvenile dialogue, there just wasn't much here to take seriously.

And whatever, you know? I didn't really expect to be wowed, but I didn't expect to be disappointed either. Here's hoping the story folks put a bit more effort into the third game.

Actually, I'd really like another Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Goopifying things is fun, but I really miss grabbing an F-16 and booting it into an oncoming Strike Team, or piledriving a city bus onto a mech (or vice-versa, I suppose).

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I don't judge writing quality based on the amount of swearwords. I base it on it's content and the feelings it is trying to convey to me. I liked Heller's writing.

By the same token, even though it had a lot less swearing, I didn't like the Blackwatch writing very much. In fact the Blackwatch writing had the least "fucks" and was my least favourite.

Heller's swearing feels natural to me. It's just part of how he talks. That kind of swearing never bothers me. It doesn't even register for the most part. I don't go oooh swearing. I don't notice it as a separate thing at all. That's what I meant by I got lucky.

I'm cool with people hating the swearing so nobody needs to defend themselves or anything.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    His swearing never bothered me, I just can't make myself care about him. Although I do love his line at the end...
    Where he tells Mercer, enough of your fucking crazy ass rambling shit, where's my daughter.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    So I went back to prototype and tested some stuff. I think Heller's three dash jump gets him almost as high as Mercer. Combined with using his extra guides you can get greater height than Mercer can.
    Mercer definitely had better jumps off walls. They've done something with walls that turns off your dash and makes your jump anaemic if you jump off a wall. Mercer was able to do his normal jump dash from a wall with the same height he got off ground.
    I think the reason they did this is so you can just double tap jump and get a second big jump on a wall, but the jump dash dash on walls was a lot faster than what Heller can do.

Heller's jump dash has more of a forward arc and Mercer's goes straight up. But Mercer still has to use walls to get stupid height. In open field he would get to the same height as Heller after two dashes but then his glide couldn't raise him up so he would fall before he got to the target. Heller doing the same jump from the same distance on the ground will hit the wall after three dashes slightly above where Mercer falls to. Because where you start dashing affects Heller's height I was getting slightly different results on testing so I don't even know if I've gotten Heller's max height. If you use repeated glides after the dashes you can end up much higher than Mercer.

Ultimately the reason Mercer feels like could gain height quicker to me is because I was jump dashing straight up walls which gains you height really fast. Heller has to repeatedly do his normal jump up them since his dash is turned off.

Also cannonball had massive range and would get you straight up to the sky quick. Thinking about it I used to use cannonball to get into the sky then flying kick grab onto a helicopter to reset it.

Heller is actually speedier than Mercer, by a lot, cos of his jump having that forward arc. It pushes you around the city super quick and his maximum sprint is a lot faster.

I think it's an okay change considering Heller doesn't need to use height in combat and has other ways of dealing with helicopters. I'm more at home with it now. Plus I found out that using the whip grab from the ground saves your air grab, so you can just whip up to the first chopper, finisher it, then quickly grab onto another one. The whip grab also has much longer range than Mercer's.

So yeah, heller's movement, not as bad as I first thought. Less straight up initially, much faster horizontal, greater max distance, and glide is actually interesting to use this time. I'm genuinely looking forward to this radnet weightless mutation.

If you played the last game a lot it is going to take you a long time to adjust. It took me about a week, that's how much I played the first one. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I finished the game last night. I had a blast.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Blackwatch has an arc to it's character, believe it or not. Without folk like Cross to keep them in line, they've gone mad with power and lost their humanity.

Hey.

Wait.

That sounds vaguely familiar!

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sure but you can write going mad with power and losing humanity in a manner that isn't ripped straight from "The Brave and the Bold"

Sometimes the memory cutscenes didn't actually make sense in context of what the mission turned out to be. I remember one guy.
    The whole cutscene was about him being scared that Heller is gonna et him, then I get a mission to uncover some secret research that guy had been working on. Those two don't actually sync up.

Last game the strange little cutscenes were part of a puzzle and you could make inter connections between them. Now they're just there as a kind of humerous alternate cutscene that doesn't always make sense and is played more for lols than information.

It's a bit of a shame.
    The only reason I quite like Heller's actual story missions is because a). I don't notice swearing b). it's a really simple story so not much can go wrong and c). Heller's VA is absolutely fantastic at getting across the emotions the character is feeling.

In other news I've lost the cable to hook my ps3 up to my recorder and that was the only one I have. I vaguely remember putting it somewhere safe but unfortunately I think that means its buried under some boxes not all of which are mine. I'll have to wait on making these movement vids until I've got the time to dig it up. Sorry about that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I Redboxed this

It is really, really bad

But for some reason I can't stop playing it

• Options
    edited May 2012
    That happened to me too. After I beat it the first time and realised I wasn't going to unlock a new power that would fix the things I didn't like about it, I was really unhappy.
    But I just...kept playing it...until I happened to figure out that it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I have no idea why I kept playing it. It's not even all that hard even on insane. Normally a game needs to be really hard for me to be super interested. There's something about it that just makes me wanna boot it up for a few minutes.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Morninglord just likes seeing his name at the top of all the Radnet challenges. :P

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    So I Redboxed this

It is really, really bad

But for some reason I can't stop playing it

Yeah, I don't know what it is about this game and Prototype. Neither of them have really taken the formula from Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and truly evolved it to the next level. They all feel different enough, but at the end of the day they're basically the same game. They're repetitive, and they have some truly questionable design decisions. Yet, I love them. They're my guilty pleasure, I think. Not ground-breaking games by any stretch, just solid fun that presses all the right buttons.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Morninglord just likes seeing his name at the top of all the Radnet challenges. :P

Not all of them.

I'm completely useless at evading strike teams. :P

The only parts of these games that has truly evolved over time is the movement system. Prototype 2's has taken a step backwards in a couple of areas (walls and control layout being the main ones) but it is actually a pretty big leap forward in precision, control and overall speed. In my opinion they should have separated dodge on the ground from dash and left dash on the trigger. Dodge on the ground would still be a tap of jump. This control system was perfectly functional for dash, it was only clunky for dodge roll. In trying to "fix" it they made it quite clunky for trying to get better movement. Similar to if, say, trickster in dmc required you to lock on and press a direction before dash would work instead of just always working.

I think that Hulk had the best offensive combat mechanics in terms of variety and how it all fit together.
    Prototype had the highest overall power level of the series (solely because of muscle mass).
    Prototype 2 has the best defensive mechanics of the entire series and some really fun powers that make you feel like you are affecting the world around you (tendrils, the pack, biobomb).

Story, plot, they're all crap really.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I beat a couple of morninglord's scores just now! I AM THE PROTOTYPE