Options

so you think you can DANCE WITH DRAGONS(NO TV, OPEN SPOILERS ON BOOKS 1-4)

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    But they are one in the same. Because Ned Stark did compromise his morals by agreeing to confess and take the black and died anyway.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Okay, then would it have been such a bad thing if he'd compromised his morals just a little bit earlier, and taken Cersei and Joffrey into custody before they murdered his men at arms and put him on a chopping block?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Okay, then would it have been such a bad thing if he'd compromised his morals just a little bit earlier, and taken Cersei and Joffrey into custody before they murdered his men at arms and put him on a chopping block?

Honestly? Yeah. It makes him look weak as opposed to it being a great moment of self sacrifice (they were threatening Sansa and Arya at the time, little did he know they didn't have Arya).

Goose! on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Except that entire moment wouldn't have been necessary, had Ned done what Renly suggested.

Again, Morally Compromised Ned is better than Dead Ned.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    basically I prefer Neutral Good to Lawful Good.

• Options
    There's also the fact that a couple thousand people had their death warrants signed the minute Payne took off Ned's head.

So even if you don't think Ned should have taken Cersei and Joffrey prisoner, keep in mind that had he done that, Robb would have lived and Winterfell would never have been sacked.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    dead and rotting ned stark really fucks up the carpet when he comes over

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    Damn it. The book 4 was huge disappointment.
    Not much movement for the plot line, not much progression with main characters like Dany and Stark's kids, Zombies up north, etc. And not enough Tyrion in this stupid book.

Not sure if I want to buy DwD at this point since everyone is saying it is similar to book 4. It feels like I am reading Robert Jordan's book again with no ending in sight. It feels like GRRM is trying to write fillers to make more money while trying to decide how he is going to end it, just like Robert Jordan did.

DWD is like 90% tyrion dany and jon snow so

Squall on
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    So unless Ramsay shows up next episode how are they gonna deal with Theon killing the miller's boys? Will he just do it himself and be an even bigger scumbag than the books or are they gonna shift it over to Dagmer pushing him on in place 'Reek'? He seems to be covering that role so far.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Right now it's not looking like Ramsay will pose as Reek at all. He'll just get over there (in lieu of what Rodrik does in the book), "liberate" Winterfell and then immediately kill everyone he can find and burn the place down. Highly doubt they'll have him posing as Theon's man.

sig.gif
  • Options
    You mean Ramsay wasn't the dude egging him on to kill Rodrik?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You mean Dagmer?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    That was Dagmer Cleftjaw.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    his jaw is insufficiently cleft.

• Options
    blixaphonicsblixaphonics the french champagne Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Believing any of the Starks brought their death upon themselves is a pretty sociopathic point of view.

seriously i just got called a sociopath in the TV thread for saying 'fuck the starks' and explaining why i sympathize with theon greyjoy. what is it with stark sympathizers immediately jumping to the 'if you call them out for being socially-blind idiots who deserve what they got for basically existing in their own little fantasy world you are a sociopath' argument? i mean, i don't mind because i'm used to being called that, but i think it's more ignorant to think that they've done NOTHING WRONG. :P

edit: tho i'm pretty sure the guy who made that comment was jokingly referencing THIS thread, now that i think about it. bahahah.

blixaphonics on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    you're both kind of weird dudes

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    Damn it. The book 4 was huge disappointment.
    Not much movement for the plot line, not much progression with main characters like Dany and Stark's kids, Zombies up north, etc. And not enough Tyrion in this stupid book.

Not sure if I want to buy DwD at this point since everyone is saying it is similar to book 4. It feels like I am reading Robert Jordan's book again with no ending in sight. It feels like GRRM is trying to write fillers to make more money while trying to decide how he is going to end it, just like Robert Jordan did.

DWD is like 90% tyrion dany and jon snow so

it's okay because the other 10% is lord manderly

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Believing any of the Starks brought their death upon themselves is a pretty sociopathic point of view.

seriously i just got called a sociopath in the TV thread for saying 'fuck the starks' and explaining why i sympathize with theon greyjoy. what is it with stark sympathizers immediately jumping to the 'if you call them out for being socially-blind idiots who deserve what they got for basically existing in their own little fantasy world you are a sociopath' argument? i mean, i don't mind because i'm used to being called that, but i think it's more ignorant to think that they've done NOTHING WRONG. :P

edit: tho i'm pretty sure the guy who made that comment was jokingly referencing THIS thread, now that i think about it. bahahah.

You have solved the riddle.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    wyman manderly is not 10% of anything

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    10% of the prince that was promised

• Options
    blixaphonicsblixaphonics the french champagne Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

You have solved the riddle.

i'm totally squealing and clapping like a trained seal right now, i'm THAT proud of myself.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    10% of the prince that was promised

The prince that was promised has the diabeetus.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    wyman manderly to be played by Wilford Brimly

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Uh oh, blood sugar getting low, what to do

Oh y hallo there Ser Frey

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Wyman Manderly is the best.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Tempted to change my avatar to Melisandre giving birth to the shadow baby. Y/N

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    oh absolutely

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    If they cast Richard Griffiths as Wyman Manderly I would be the happiest fucking guy.

• Options
    Tempted to change my avatar to Melisandre giving birth to the shadow baby. Y/N

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    if you could make your sig a gif of the hands grasping the legs

yes

yes

• Options
    in the middle of reading dwd for a second time

i didnt really like it much the first time, but on a second read there are some interesting bits that you can't really appreciate without foreknowledge of later parts of the book
    every scene with rattleshirt before he's revealed as mance becomes about 1000% times better, for example

• Options
    I'm still conflicted about it.

I mean, it's a good book, don't get me wrong, but it just feels like nothing really happens, and when something does happen, it's usually bad for anybody who isn't a total fuckstick.

I dunno, maybe I was expecting Dance to be Storm 2.0.

I'm just ready for good things to happen to the good guys instead of the bad guys.

At least Dany is finally getting the ever loving fuck out of Meereen.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Knob wrote: »

i didnt really like it much the first time, but on a second read there are some interesting bits that you can't really appreciate without foreknowledge of later parts of the book
    every scene with rattleshirt before he's revealed as mance becomes about 1000% times better, for example

really the entire jon storyline is better once you know where it's going

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

really the entire jon storyline is better once you know where it's going
    "Fuck Bowen Marsh Forever" right?

That's where it goes, isn't it?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    If anything, Bowen Marsh came off a lot better for me the second time
    Even though he doesn't like what jon's doing, he never disobeys orders until Jon's literally hours away from launching an attack on the seat of the north. Which is PRETTY OBVIOUSLY a breach of vows, hardcore.

They didn't attack Jon because they disliked him, or for personal ambition or even because he was changing things, they did it because he was breaking his vows

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    If anything, Bowen Marsh came off a lot better for me the second time
    Even though he doesn't like what jon's doing, he never disobeys orders until Jon's literally hours away from launching an attack on the seat of the north. Which is PRETTY OBVIOUSLY a breach of vows, hardcore.

They didn't attack Jon because they disliked him, or for personal ambition or even because he was changing things, they did it because he was breaking his vows
    So "Fuck Bowen Marsh Forever" essentially?

Jokes and hyperbole aside, I can understand why Marsh did it.

I can't really respect it though, because the dude basically refused to acknowledge the real threat was the malevolent ice creatures coming to kill them all.

Also, because he stabbed Jon.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    anyone that believes jon is really dead is dumb

martin kills characters at the drop of a hat, but he will not leave them dead

• Options
    anyone that believes jon is really dead is dumb

martin kills characters at the drop of a hat, but he will not leave them dead
    Yeah, if Melisandre doesn't give John the Dondarrion Treatment, I'll be surprised.

Still, he stabbed Jon Snow.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    He wouldn't be a narrator anymore, though.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    If he really is dead, then its one hell of an anticlimax if he does end up as the targaryan spawn

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko