As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLPFiM: Season 3 November 10th

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Fuck yes season 2 just showed up on Netflix instant.

Hulu has failed me for the last time...

Im thinking of switching to Netflix now....course if I do this that means there will be two Netflix subs in the same house. I don't want my brother wondering why he has 'horseland' as a recommendation.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    My brother in law was texting me this week since I'm flying home for the weekend for Mother's Day to see both my Mom and my sister who has 2 kids. We were texting back and forth about my flight and scheduling and when we can go out drinking after the Mother's Day dinner stuff. Then he texts me out of the blue, "okay so there are unicorns and regular ponies living together?" My 3-year old neice has discovered Ponies.

So... yeah I am totally going to be watching Ponies with my niece and nephew this weekend. I'm doing my best to feel like that's going to be on the adorable side of things.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So Derpy has her "new" voice in the netflix episode so I'm sure we'll get some lovely response over that.

Sigh.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    LilliLilli Registered User regular
    So Derpy has her "new" voice in the netflix episode so I'm sure we'll get some lovely response over that.

Sigh.

There are few things I like less about this community than their reaction to Derpy.

• Options
    It wasn't just iTunes, its spread across all media. Remember seeing a rerun of The Last Roundup after the Derpy nonsense on TV and it had her new voice. Only place that doesn't have her new voice is the DVD and youtubes.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Fuck yes season 2 just showed up on Netflix instant.

Alright, a great palette cleanser for my Breaking Bad marathon.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They should just keep changing her voice and the scene for every release. Maybe have Rainbow Dash step on her tail as she walks around her.
    Derpy derped first

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Lilli wrote: »

Sigh.

There are few things I like less about this community than their reaction to Derpy.

9 times out of 10, I don't like the Brony community's reaction about ANYTHING. There are far too many Bronies who have decided that being a fan of the show is an acceptable excuse for not developing and implementing proper social skills the same way far too many people use "I'm an alcoholic" as an excuse for vomiting on you and generally being an asshole in public places.

The initial reaction to Derpy was understandable. I loved her acknowledgment as well. I don't agree with Hasbro's decision to edit her at all, especially because it seems to validate something I to the end will disagree with (that Derpy was making fun of disabled people), but I understand why it happened. The Brony outrage after the change was just... awful.

What's most annoying about it was that if they just went with the edited version to begin with, no one would have complained. But this is reviving an argument from six months ago that won't change anything at this point.

• Options
    Levels of Voice Tier.
    Before: Mane 6>Derpy>Bon Bon
    After: Mane 6>Bon Bon>Derpy

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    They should just keep changing her voice and the scene for every release. Maybe have Rainbow Dash step on her tail as she walks around her.
    Derpy derped first

Why isn't that on a T-shirt yet?

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Hey lookit the ponies!

_comm___important__by_kelsea_chan-d4zc93a.png

Look at 'em!

twilight_by_mewpan-d4zbfog.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdFoVKMyqg

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I saw two MLP songs nominated for Daytime Emmys, and went over to see what the other category nominations were.

Outstanding Children’s Animated Program
    Curious George
    Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesome
    Peep & the Big Wide World
    Penguins of Madagascar
    Sid the Science Kid
    SpongeBob SquarePants

Haven't watched any of these. Who's the favorite to win?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    So I saw two MLP songs nominated for Daytime Emmys, and went over to see what the other category nominations were.

Outstanding Children’s Animated Program
    Curious George
    Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesome
    Peep & the Big Wide World
    Penguins of Madagascar
    Sid the Science Kid
    SpongeBob SquarePants

Haven't watched any of these. Who's the favorite to win?

I haven't listened to any of these, but if it's not Find a Pet I will be so sad.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Lilli wrote: »

Sigh.

9 times out of 10, I don't like the Brony community's reaction about ANYTHING. There are far too many Bronies who have decided that being a fan of the show is an acceptable excuse for not developing and implementing proper social skills the same way far too many people use "I'm an alcoholic" as an excuse for vomiting on you and generally being an asshole in public places.

The initial reaction to Derpy was understandable. I loved her acknowledgment as well. I don't agree with Hasbro's decision to edit her at all, especially because it seems to validate something I to the end will disagree with (that Derpy was making fun of disabled people), but I understand why it happened. The Brony outrage after the change was just... awful.

What's most annoying about it was that if they just went with the edited version to begin with, no one would have complained. But this is reviving an argument from six months ago that won't change anything at this point.

Giving Derpy a non-background role in the first place was probably a mistake. There was nothing that the show could add to her that wasn't already done through background events, and having her be prominent was just going to make people uncomfortable.

It's sort of interesting though how protective of her most of the adult fandom seems to be. Positive or negative representation, they'll still stick up for her as a person. I suppose that might not extend to the suggestible youth audience, though, who would be seeing a character that they don't have as much of an outside attachment to being obnoxiously dumb. And there's also Rainbow Dash being a terrible role model there as well, which may be in character but still isn't a good impression to send.

So it was basically the writers putting a fandom nod ahead of common sense, which they really shouldn't be doing for a show that honestly is supposed to be designed for children (albeit with unusually high quality and plenty of outside references). Hopefully they've learned a lesson about how to balance that sort of thing better.

jothki on
  • Options
    Then the children's lesson to wield there is, "Rainbow Dash learns not to rage at a pony who annoys her with clumsiness."

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    JU6sU.jpg

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    That can't be comfortable.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Lyra seems to handle it fine.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I've gotta say, this kinda sounds like boss music from some JRPG.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SExXbK4XTw

Love is in...shuffle?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuHagyPvmNE

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

I'm talking about the throne made of swords.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NerivantNerivant Director Third EchelonRegistered User regular

I'm talking about the throne made of swords.

"A king should never sit easy."

[REDACTED]
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    God fucking dammit, bronies. Seriously, how did those involved think this was a good idea? It's pointless, it's a waste of money, and it makes fans of the show look bad.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, they're donating the surplus to charity. They should probably pick one or two soon.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    fucking $14K?!

At least they're donating the extra but is that "extra after the money we use for the ten prime time slots" or "extra after just one on the air slot"? Regardless, I still don't want to see this actually happen, but I hope they only buy one slot and donate the remaining $12K to something worthwhile instead of the other way around. It would at least look better to donate the bigger amount than to blow it all on this stupid ad.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I like how it's 1 person paying $500 to be in the commercial and 6 people paying 0 that are "randomly" chosen. Yup. Totally not going to be related to the people creating the project at all no siree.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Okami wrote: »
    fucking $14K?!

At least they're donating the extra but is that "extra after the money we use for the ten prime time slots" or "extra after just one on the air slot"? Regardless, I still don't want to see this actually happen, but I hope they only buy one slot and donate the remaining $12K to something worthwhile instead of the other way around. It would at least look better to donate the bigger amount than to blow it all on this stupid ad.

If you look at the non-profit's Balance sheet, you can see the total expense actually some out to around $13,000. Don't ask me why they put the "goal" as $2000. But yeah, hardly any significant amount is going to go to charity if it costs $12,000 alone to just pay for the advertising(slots) and producing the ad. See the nonprofit's balance sheet here.

I understand the passion driving this project. I can even respect it. But this is the most wasteful, pointless possible way to thank the creators of MLP:FiM

• Options
    LavokLavok Registered User regular
    It's funny, as I understand it, the guy in charge of the project first proposed his ad idea to Ponychan and they rejected it.

It's probably a good idea to think about what you're trying to do when even Ponychan realizes that your idea is stupid.

• Options
    Awful. Just awful. This is the ad script.
    I don't think I've hated an idea worse.

A good idea I saw elsewhere was to alter the ad to promote Seeds of Kindness, explain that it's a charity that is selling music inspired by MLP and it will go towards building a better world in Uganda. That shows the community in a much better light and it will actually help people who deserve it.

Of course, the problem with that is that changing the purpose of the ad after so many have donated would be fraud. They would have to hold another money drive or ask each donater inividually if they wanted to keep donating.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    As I've said before, there's no graceful way out of this situation. Assuming Hub doesn't jump in at the last minute and spike the final ad, just have 'em make it, air it, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6f8q-r9HM

SabreMau on
  • Options
    LavokLavok Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that script was rejected. Going off of DHN, this is the script as of May 6, 2012
    Hi, we’re bronies. We’re fans of My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic,
    and we’d like to say thanks. Thank you to Hasbro and the Hub for
    creating such a fantastic show. Thanks to DHX Media and all the
    animators for making it so beautiful to watch. To the voice actors
    and singers for bringing the characters to life. To the composers
    for creating such wonderful music. And to Lauren Faust and the
    writers for bringing a little more honesty, loyalty, laughter,
    generosity, kindness and magic into the world.
    Yeah, not quite as bad as the original. I still dislike this whole ad idea though.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    You're right, @SabreMau ... but ugh, the stupid things fanboys do just drives me nuts sometimes. And dammit I'm not going to let myself stop enjoying something just because some fans of said thing are dumb. I admit I've done that in the past, and I've regretted it.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ukMc2adoE
    Just a little something I did for my dear friend: Her birthday is May 11th. I hope you enjoy it!
    This was made in 4 days.

• Options
    Lavok wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that script was rejected. Going off of DHN, this is the script as of May 6, 2012
    Hi, we’re bronies. We’re fans of My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic,
    and we’d like to say thanks. Thank you to Hasbro and the Hub for
    creating such a fantastic show. Thanks to DHX Media and all the
    animators for making it so beautiful to watch. To the voice actors
    and singers for bringing the characters to life. To the composers
    for creating such wonderful music. And to Lauren Faust and the
    writers for bringing a little more honesty, loyalty, laughter,
    generosity, kindness and magic into the world.
    Yeah, not quite as bad as the original. I still dislike this whole ad idea though.

Yeah, I didn't really do any fact checking. I just wanted to complain to someone. I'm going to let it go, like Sabre said, it's going to happen, there's nothing I can do about it, so why not enjoy life instead?

That is a fantastic piece of animation. Show quality even. Makes me look forward to the upcoming fan episode(s?)

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I think we all agree it's a terrible idea; unfortunately all I can do is pretend it doesn't exist.

I would love it if Hub stepped in and said "...no, we're not doing this" though.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    You know how sometimes you'll think back to embarrassing things you did years ago and still get super embarrassed about them? That's what I hope the ad is for all those involved, they can live with that forever. Seriously though, the Hub n'at know that "bronies" exist and like the show, just donate the money to some charity on behalf of the "bronies" so people think they're less creepy. That will go a lot further than making an ad that'll probably be so cringeworthy Tim and Eric wouldn't even want it on their show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5biJScbFE3k

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Giving Derpy a non-background role in the first place was probably a mistake. There was nothing that the show could add to her that wasn't already done through background events, and having her be prominent was just going to make people uncomfortable.

It's sort of interesting though how protective of her most of the adult fandom seems to be. Positive or negative representation, they'll still stick up for her as a person.

"Making people uncomfortable" was inevitable. You have to deal with that, no matter what the situation is. The writers once mentioned that they had meetings over whether or not Dash could use "egghead" as an insult. I saw blog posts that complained about Fluttershy saying "no means no" to Iron Will because they felt it was a rape reference. I don't even know how you respond to that. It's like when someone explained to me for the first time that Jerry Springer wasn't a scripted show and there are actually that many stupid people in America.

I may be speaking for myself but I'm assuming that this is because it wasn't as much "protective" as "defensive." Most bronies love Derpy because she's, well, derpy. Outside agitators started complaining that the older fanbase of the show was "just making a bunch of retard jokes" and got all White-Knight about it. I can see how that pissed a lot of people off. Bronies already deal with the general annoyance of people attacking them for something they don't really understand; here it is happening again, and in an unfair and untrue way.

I'm getting way meta here, but one of the things about white privilege- and let's face it, the Brony base is by a large majority white and male- is that very often the worst thing that class is labeled is being abusive to other classes. Ironically, I think you saw that in the Dickwolves incident, too- in both cases a lot of white guys suddenly found being called racist/sexist/ableist/whatever to be The Most Offensive Thing In The World(tm), and responded really, really inappropriately to it.

I mean, look at what happened with that Yamino girl- yeah, she was completely wrong-headed, stubborn and over reactive about her thoughts on Derpy. The problem is that when you combat ignorance with outright abuse, it doesn't teach anyone anything.

So anyway, yeah, this all sort of stems into the problem with Bronies and this awful, awful idea of an ad- this stubborn, annoying filter that they are the most important people on earth in regards to this show, and once again the lack of any, ANY critical thought about how this makes them look overall. $14,000 could probably pay for an overnight Club Med stay for half the production studio. It could fund a big party for them, or airfare for more of the producers to fly down to a fan con, or yeah, a shit load of good for numerous charities. Instead, it's going to be spent on an ad reminding parents that there's a somewhat-creepy base of older men fanatically obsessed with the show. Umm... I really, really think the producers already know this guys. I think the Youtube video of Derpy asking you not to kill her made that pretty clear.

• Options
    (A bunch of stuff which is all correct.)
    Thank you for being more eloquent than I, Elk.

Groups of people; fans of a sports team, bronies, MLP-haters... basically fans of any sort, often respond to criticism with hostility. I suspect it has some deep, subconscious root in protecting the social group from outside aggression. And, with no physical aggression occurring, people become concerned with emotional and verbal aggression, even when such words are not meant to be an attack.

But yeah, it's already out of our hands, really. They will either make the ad or not. The Hub will show it or not. Some charity will get a bunch of money or not,

• Options
    edited May 2012

It's sort of interesting though how protective of her most of the adult fandom seems to be. Positive or negative representation, they'll still stick up for her as a person.

"Making people uncomfortable" was inevitable. You have to deal with that, no matter what the situation is. The writers once mentioned that they had meetings over whether or not Dash could use "egghead" as an insult. I saw blog posts that complained about Fluttershy saying "no means no" to Iron Will because they felt it was a rape reference.

they felt it was a rape reference.

rape reference

I seriously have no words for this, so please accept this image.
    rarity___are_you_fucking_kidding_me_by_minikomicweb-d4jbu36.png

In regards of the Thank Your Project.

I have 100,000% confidence that the HUB will do the right thing...

Riokenn on
This discussion has been closed.