As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new STEAM Thread!

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    I bought Borderlands in a previous sale. I've yet to play it. I've run the game, and I've even seen some of the opening... intro? Level? But I've yet to actually play it because it keeps crashing inexplicably for no reason.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Morning thread! Not too many entries so far, so if you fancy a shot at winning something, get those anagram and cryptic-clue solvin' gears grinding!

:: Ashe's Antidote :: (...to post-Sale doldrums)

'Tis Friday! And with the thread all working together to fight off those post-Sale blues, let's keep that theme going. This is a mini-version of @ElderlyCrawfish 's classy contest collection. with the bits and bobs I stashed during the sale ready for a day like today. I can't promise super-expensive AAA list titles, as I'm perpetually broke, but hopefully these are what people consider cheap n cheerful gems and classics!

Usual rules apply - active members only please. Instead of first come, first serve, though, I'll accept all entries for a day or so and then random-number the winner from those who are correct. Less time-pressure to get 'em answered that way, and easier for those in a different time-zone than I to get involved. Also, there will be three rounds can I say one entry per round, please? Ideally it'd be great to have a different winner for each game. Anyway, enough of my babbling... You want anagrams, right? You want the occasional weird cryptic clue thrown in too? Well have at 'em!

Round One, ding-ding:

1) Rat or owl meat

2) Horny geese jolt nut

3) Big Bopper's classic isn't about a pair of capitals

Apologies if they are crap, too easy, too difficult (I'm placing bets on @Taramoor nailing all three of them within two hours). There will be a few more soon!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How I have felt playing more Crusader Kings recently

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

I feel that's par on course with playing the game. I find that I spend a good chunk of my play-time with that game just clicking around, reading and thinking about how people relate and interact with each other.

Which of course is the games whole allure to me. This is something other games haven't done; it's wonderful.

Also, have you murdered your old wife so you can marry a younger one to bear more children? You really should give it a try, it's more manically satisfying than it has any right to be

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

I feel that's par on course with playing the game. I find that I spend a good chunk of my play-time with that game just clicking around, reading and thinking about how people relate and interact with each other.

Which of course is the games whole allure to me. This is something other games haven't done; it's wonderful.

Also, have you murdered your old wife so you can marry a younger one to bear more children? You really should give it a try, it's more manically satisfying than it has any right to be

I actually did that with my King of Ireland because our one surviving son was Homosexual married to a Chaste woman. I assumed there would be no kids. So I had my first wife bumped off, married a young Irish girl and got busy.

And then my son had a son of his own.

Oops. Oh well.

(I think by the time he died, he had had 3 wives in total. And he'd...arranged accidents for two young claimants of his crown. He was NOT a nice guy at the end.)

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Opening ceremony for the Olympics is on. There's a bunch of gentlemen in tophats dancing and I can't help it but think of the Steam thread. :D

Hah! As soon as I saw them I thought "well there's a new GIF for the Steam thread."

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Hoping to get some game time in today beyond staring at my game quilt wondering where to start. I may torture myself, how long roughly is amnesia?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hoping to get some game time in today beyond staring at my game quilt wondering where to start. I may torture myself, how long roughly is amnesia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-zjGzCxpuc

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

about 2 hours for me. Oh, You meant finish the game? Haha good luck with that.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »

about 2 hours for me. Oh, You meant finish the game? Haha good luck with that.

It really can be surprisingly short if you know what you're doing.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the amount of time leaving the game on pause to watch videos of kittens, so your mileage may vary.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Marikir wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »

I actually did that with my King of Ireland because our one surviving son was Homosexual married to a Chaste woman. I assumed there would be no kids. So I had my first wife bumped off, married a young Irish girl and got busy.

And then my son had a son of his own.

Oops. Oh well.

(I think by the time he died, he had had 3 wives in total. And he'd...arranged accidents for two young claimants of his crown. He was NOT a nice guy at the end.)

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

That's what Crusader Kings is about? Not just expanding by force or whatever, but through political/social machinations and scheming like some evil mastermind?

...hoo boy. Wallet, think you can take one more for the team?

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Huh, I didn't realize the Cloaks of Skyrim mod was by our very own @Ashe. Great work! I wondered what you were doing in the creation kit all the time.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My goodness. I put a new 2 TB drive and an SSD into my PC yesterday, as well as upgraded to Windows 7. And now that it's up and running I see the forums have also gotten a facelift. Crazy.

Also, I set up TeraCopy to move my Steam games from my small 1TB drive to the newer 2 TB drive before I went to bed last night. I also set it up to shut down when it finished. When I woke up this morning, my PC was still on. It had half an hour to go before finishing.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    slappybag wrote: »
    Was anyone else disappointed with Borderlands? I kind of found it boring and repetitive.

I mean shooting enemies was fun, but the missions were all the same.

It's a loot game. If you're not into sweet loot you probably will get bored pretty quick.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

according to Steam it took me just short of 12 hours

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular

I started playing it little over a year ago. I'm maybe 5% in now.
    Huh, I didn't realize the Cloaks of Skyrim mod was by our very own @Ashe. Great work! I wondered what you were doing in the creation kit all the time.

Oh, really? Nice work, Ashe. It has quickly become one of my favorites. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular

I think I did it around about 6 hrs and some change. There is this site btw:
    http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=23
    I've found it useful when wondering about game len

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    That's funny, because it took me three months to finish Amnesia.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I found the first Penumbra scarier to be honest.

Amnesia was good, but at a certain point it became kinda gamey. If you play enough you figure out how everything works behind the scenes.
    Insanity from darkness will never actually kill you, it does actually raise the gamma a bit so you can see better in the dark. Also, some things like paintings look different while insane too.

When you die and reload a checkpoint the enemies aren't in the same positions as before. It can add randomness, but you can also exploit it by just running to the next checkpoint instead of sneaking. If you die right after a checkpoint you won't load in with a baddie right on top of you.

The game lost its charm for me around the time I got to that gothic fountain. I just new it would morph into a fountain of blood.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Is anyone else having steam issues? I can get civIV or Red Alert 3 to launch. Some other games like Botanicula work ok though. When I try to start the game steam just freezes on preparing to launch and stops responding. And in Red Alert's case it'll sometimes start and then quickly close the window and still say I'm in the game. I've tried deleting to clientregistry.blob file, but that didn't work.

edit: Oh, and after it stops responding and I can't even restart it. Clicking steam does nothing and I have to restart the computer to get back into steam. This is really frustrating.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Oh man. In true steam fashion, PA now has badges! Ahhhhhhhh!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    That's funny, because it took me three months to finish Amnesia.

It is taking me forever to beat it too. I can only play in 15 minute sessions.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This is a screenshot of the furthest I've made it in Amnesia:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/936997652387370786/BA3A438FEA8CD7D65AE32F5CC771941AE9274EB1/

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Amnesia wasn't that scary until I got bored with it, but that may be because I am shit at being immersed.

• Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Binary Domain is currently $10 on amazon, Spec ops is 50% of at 24.99. These deals are only for today and both are steamworks.

Edit: Oh and divinity 2 dragon knight saga is $6. This is the steamworks version they have. All the deals can be found here http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000812791 .

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DewgyDewgy Registered User regular
    I wonder if its ok to say Cheeves I always liked that as short for achivements.

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    So Recettear is pretty hard.

Also: Walking Dead Episode 2 got pretty intense.

• Options
    Stealth XXIVStealth XXIV Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Dewgy wrote: »
    I wonder if its ok to say Cheeves I always liked that as short for achivements.

I often see/hear people use "cheevos", so you're probably fine.

Stealth XXIV on
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    It looks like Steamgifts is making a change to how the value of gifted games is calculated.
    Proposed changes to contributor values

Bundle games, and those freely available at one time or another (Ex. Shadowgrounds), will only add a maximum of 20% to a user's non-bundle contributor value. For example, if a user has submitted $50.00 in non-bundle games, they would have a cap of $10.00 (20% of $50.00) for any bundle games submitted. Therefore, if they submit $10.00 or $10,000.00 in bundles, their contributor value would reach a maximum of $60.00. To further demonstrate, a few scenarios are below.

User #1
    Max Payne 3 ($59.99)
    Counter-Strike Source ($19.99)
    Far Cry 2 ($9.99)
    Half-Life 2 (9.99)
    Amnesia (Bundle Game $19.99)

Previous value: $119.95. New value: $119.95. They receive full value for Amnesia due to the amount of non-bundle games they have contributed.

User #2

Previous value: $39.98. New value: $23.99. The value of Amnesia drops from $19.99 to the max of $4.00 (20% of the Counter-Strike value) since their non-bundle contributions are quite low.

User #3
    Shadowgrounds Survivor (Bundle Game $9.99)

Old value: $69.95. New value: $23.99. Same as the above, the max of 20% is reached, so it cannot increase any further through bundle games.

User #4

Old value: $29.98. New value: $0.00. With zero contributions not from bundles, their contributor value remains at zero.

How will this affect your contributor value

Add /update to the end of your profile URL, and you'll see a new contributor value in brackets, next to your existing one. This reflects the updated value, limiting bundle giveaways to 20%. This will have no affect on the vast majority of our users, and only begins to adjust values on those that have submitted a higher than usual amount of bundle games.

Proposed changes to what can be submitted

Bundles can be listed anytime, whether the bundle is live or not.

Individual bundle keys are allowed, since their value can no longer be exploited.

Lately, the rules are difficult to understand. Certain bundles can only be submitted at given times, and there are over 100 individual bundle games. Users submitting individual bundle keys, whether on accident or on purpose get a bad reputation, and it's the cause of countless arguments. It creates a lot of confusion and brings a negative feel to the entire community, which completely goes against what we're trying to accomplish. The above changes would mean anything can be submitted at any time, and the site will automatically keep contributor values in line. If someone enters a $120 contributor giveaway, you know a minimum of $100 is coming from non-bundle games.

I think that this might be a good idea, however, I think that there should be a time limit on how long something gives a discounted value. Also, if a game was given away before it was part of a bundle, I don't think it's value should be discounted.

• Options
    Stealth XXIVStealth XXIV Registered User regular
    Suds wrote: »
    I found the first Penumbra scarier to be honest.

I haven't played any of the other Frictional Games titles yet, but I've found that Penumbra: Overture's scaryness is directly proportional to the amount of light in the room you're playing it in: it's deliciously atmospheric if you play it in daylight, and unbearably oppressive if you play it in the dark. So if anyone's struggling with any of these games' horror themes, try playing them at a different time of day. They are very well designed games, and it would be a shame to skip them just because you can't play them in an "optimal" (i.e. darkness and loud headphones) environment.

• Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »

It is not. lt just blatantly lies to you at some point, so it seems harder. But I'm not spoiling it, that would ruin most of the fun.

Just remember you get to keep most of your stuff when you start a new game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    Khildith wrote: »

It is not. lt just blatantly lies to you at some point, so it seems harder. But I'm not spoiling it, that would ruin most of the fun.

Just remember you get to keep most of your stuff when you start a new game.

This part here is the truth. You're told misinformation on how to Sell/Buy so that if you listen to the way it tells you, you're in for some trouble.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Wow, I finished a game! Borderlands is done, the main game at least. I haven't played the DLC much yet. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    How does the Ys game on sale compare to Ark of Napishtim? I beat that one on PS2 and enjoyed it.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I bought a bunch of new games during the sale but all I want to play is Skyrim, now with mods. God damnit, I'm never going to make even a tiny dent in my backlog at this rate.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    How does the Ys game on sale compare to Ark of Napishtim? I beat that one on PS2 and enjoyed it.

It uses the same engine, but it's much better than Ark of Napishtim, IMO. Better music and better combat.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Holy goddamn fuck

@testsubject23 won himself some Canadian fucking trains

Please accept my friend request so you can take these rad things out for a spin

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Only 30 mins left on Ys. I must stay strong!

It can wait till the winter sale, just keep telling myself that.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Since there's about an hour left on these, one last pimping for round three of my Post Steam Sale Depression game giveaway:

The theme for this batch of giveaways is Cult Classics, or "Those games that nobody bought but that have a devoted cadre of nerds who constantly recommend them at the drop of a hat and pine for sequels that will never happen":

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Penny Arcade group members only, don't be a mooch or I'll kill your dick with a stop sign.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Completed my Darkisders replay in order to get pumped for the sequel. Officially pumped. Though the achievements seem to be bugged. No credit for finishing the game or, oddly enough, even obtaining the Tremor Gauntlet which is plot critical and early obtained. Meh.