Options

Prude Victorian Fencing [chat]

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Sorry I am more awesome at games than you, but it's true OTL.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the dark knight rises was the dark knight of movies

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    They shouldn't even call it "English" anymore. They should just take all the extra words for tea and shitty breakfast sausage and dumb hats and call that "English" and the rest of the language can be re-named "American".

in progamming applications that are localizable we have to deal with different kinds of English as different languages. There is EN-US (usa), EN-CA (canada), EN-TT (trinidad), EN-GB (uk) etc...

in code you just treat each like a separate language

ISO 639-1 fo lyfe.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I am very bad at Binding of Isaac, it's true.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I thought the plot twists in TDKR were fairly well taught.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I've never heard a Brit call an American a Yank in real life and I've never heard an American call an Englishman a Limey. Those outdated terms only happen in the movies.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I found them quite taut.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    They shouldn't even call it "English" anymore. They should just take all the extra words for tea and shitty breakfast sausage and dumb hats and call that "English" and the rest of the language can be re-named "American".

What you're speaking now is actually how English sounded before they made RP.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

What you're speaking now is actually how English sounded before they made RP.

it's true

billy shakes would've sounded like poor southie trash

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I found them quite taut.

I agree, their sophistication was at the level of a tot.
    Just for the pun

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    TDKR was a great movie.

Could have been lots more - the flaws are there and the fact is that the plots and story features of your regular comic book world can't be easily translated into a playing-it-straight present day setting without any niggles.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    What is RP?

a/s/l?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    What is RP?
    Received Pronunciation

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    What is RP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation

Tootle pip, old bean, wot.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I just had such a good pee that I shivered at the end of it

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I've never heard a Brit call an American a Yank in real life and I've never heard an American call an Englishman a Limey. Those outdated terms only happen in the movies.

Both of these things happen daily in my life.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    mockup_theme_smaller.png

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I'm all for calling them Septics.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Wow...

If anyone in power in this country tried to declare an official "good" accent the country would explode.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    why are you so afraid of showing us your christiansingles.com tab dk

• Options
    Best accent is my accent.

I am the sound of America.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

HeavyPettingZoo.com
    BeastForum.net
    BankofAmerica.com

• Options
    I have a southern accent. It's pretty shameful. That's why I avoid vents like the plague because it does no good to torture people with my shitty ignorant sounding accent

I shouldn't even be allowed to vote with this accent

• Options

Somehow I question that, given your favorite West Wing character is the most annoying one.

• Options
    Bank of America, DK? You fucking 1% monster

• Options
    When I was a kid I used to think that the Stockholm accent was what you used when acting, because that was the only thing you ever heard on TV.

• Options
    I just had such a good pee that I shivered at the end of it

Men enjoy mighty pees like that all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09D8hAcUzms

• Options
    i ate tacos and way too many M&Ms

i am shameful

• Options
    I have a southern accent. It's pretty shameful. That's why I avoid vents like the plague because it does no good to torture people with my shitty ignorant sounding accent

I shouldn't even be allowed to vote with this accent

Please let me make fun of you. It would be a kindness to me. It would bring me such joy.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

HeavyPettingZoo.com
    BeastForum.net
    BankofAmerica.com
    how embarassing

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    When I was a kid I used to think that the Stockholm accent was what you used when acting, because that was the only thing you ever heard on TV.
    In America, we tend to go for the "zero accent" for our film and TV - something that is largely inoffensive to anyone anywhere in the country.

We use our other accents in film and TV when we are showing bad people (ignorant southerners, new york tough guys, jersey guidos, dumb valley girls, etc).

If a character in American TV/film has an noticeable accent, something is wrong with them 99% of the time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I'm from southern Sweden, living in Stockholm.

Occasionally I need a translator to make myself understood.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

The accent used by BBC presenters is a constant source of debate. They used to insist on a variant of RP, now people are encouraged to use their own accent. Amazingly, both approaches seem to piss off exactly the same small group of people.

• Options

Somehow I question that, given your favorite West Wing character is the most annoying one.

I do not sound like Toby.

I am not from New York.

And I don't sound Southern.

I have hints of every area.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    This girl from Gothenburg (on the west coast) once asked me if I was from Germany.

• Options
    i'm iowan

we have no accent somehow

• Options
    we need more cockney accents on the BBC

We need a cockney Dr. Who

• Options
    i ate tacos and way too many M&Ms

Yes, but how would Ludious say this phrase?

Ludious: "Boy howdy, y'all, I jes et a whole messa tacos and way too many of dem durn M&Mers."

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    In America, we tend to go for the "zero accent" for our film and TV - something that is largely inoffensive to anyone anywhere in the country.

We use our other accents in film and TV when we are showing bad people (ignorant southerners, new york tough guys, jersey guidos, dumb valley girls, etc).

If a character in American TV/film has an noticeable accent, something is wrong with them 99% of the time.

This is very true.

Although I would be remiss if I did not point out that the non-accent accent is actually English, as spoken in the state of California, by non-surfers, non-stoners, non-valley girls.

I grew up thinking that my English was "proper english". Because that's how people in California sound- just like film and television characters (who aren't British, or cowboys, or New York City gangsters etc).

This discussion has been closed.