• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I grew up in western mass in a b
    Ludious wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    i ate tacos and way too many M&Ms

Yes, but how would Ludious say this phrase?

Ludious: "Boy howdy, y'all, I jes et a whole messa tacos and way too many of dem durn M&Mers."

I fucked your mother bareback

Really? I don't think she even noticed.

Y'all.

everybody says yall now

Only as a joke and only in writing! The day a "y'all" slips out unbidden is the day I hurl myself off a cliff.

quotes feature strikes again

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I hate y'all.

And I hate it when it is used proudly.

It makes me neck tense up.

It's like being around a german.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It is really quite hard to perceive variations in accent in unfamiliar languages.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i dunno japan

i dont have a huge problem noticing variations in japanese accents, or french accents, etc

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

Add:
    http://autostatic.forums.penny-arcade.com/applications/vanilla/js/autosave.js?v=2.1a25

to your adblock list to fix it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    japan wrote: »
    It is really quite hard to perceive variations in accent in unfamiliar languages.

I can separate Hitler's Austrian accent from regular German. It's quite distinctive. Lots of rolling Rs. The guy in Downfall (Hitler Reacts To Whatever parodies) did a great job with it.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    let's do this

538uq8.png

what is happening here

I've got Mega Bombs (bomb dmg up. one bomb kills a boss), The Mark (tear dmg up), and the cursed skull that teleports me out of the room if I get to half health. So far bombs have been plentiful but i'm heading to catacombs II now with only one bomb.

Oh and I have the remote detonator so bombs don't blow up til I press space.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i dunno japan

i dont have a huge problem noticing variations in japanese accents, or french accents, etc

French I notice, but I've always attributed that to a passing familiarity with it and the presence of recognisable vocabulary.

• Options
    There's a stereotype about Skånska (my dialect) sounding like you speak with a potato in your mouth.

Thankfully that particular dialect of my dialect is dying out rapidly.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Everyone always thinks that the way they talk is "general american" or "zero" or whatever but they're always wrong.

They're wrong because they are not me.

Eh, the California thing is true though. It's because of Hollywood.

There is a "stereotypical california accent" that approximately 1% of Californians have.

And all the rest of us sound like we just walked off a soap opera or sitcom.

This is a joke a right? I mean, the actual "General American" accent is supposed to be the Midwest/Great Plains area. A lot of the early Hollywood actors were from Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I've watched the movie Inglorious Basterds three times and I still can't tell why the British spy's German is different from everyone else's.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    I grew up in western mass in a b
    i ate tacos and way too many M&Ms

Yes, but how would Ludious say this phrase?

Ludious: "Boy howdy, y'all, I jes et a whole messa tacos and way too many of dem durn M&Mers."

I fucked your mother bareback

Really? I don't think she even noticed.

Y'all.

everybody says yall now

Only as a joke and only in writing! The day a "y'all" slips out unbidden is the day I hurl myself off a cliff.

draft drafts drafts

I grew up in western mass in a big italian american family, so while I was learning to speak, I was surrounded by people who talked like jersey shore characters. To the best of my knowledge, that accent is eradicated and does not come out no matter how many drinks I have.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    well familiarity definitely helps

i think also if somebody points it out to you it makes it hugely easier too

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I've watched the movie Inglorious Basterds three times and I still can't tell why the British spy's German is different from everyone else's.

I remember reading something about Germans revealing British spies by inviting them for dinner.

Brits apparently had a tendency to cut their meat into lots of pieces and then eat, while the French cut one piece off at a time. Or if it was the other way around.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Seriously? The man manages to speak RP german.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Everyone always thinks that the way they talk is "general american" or "zero" or whatever but they're always wrong.

There is a "stereotypical california accent" that approximately 1% of Californians have.

This is a joke a right? I mean, the actual "General American" accent is supposed to be the Midwest/Great Plains area. A lot of the early Hollywood actors were from Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri.

Midwest people don't sound like TV-American English actors. Perhaps in the past? Met alot of mid-westerners in the Navy, and they sounded like a little bit of the south crept up and infected their speech.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I like to use a southern accent to make people feel more at ease.

When I get belligerent I sound like I'm from NY or Boston.

In general I sound like I'm from Iowa.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I remember reading something about Germans revealing British spies by inviting them for dinner.

Brits apparently had a tendency to cut their meat into lots of pieces and then eat, while the French cut one piece off at a time. Or if it was the other way around.

I'll add that Brad Pitt did a not-so-good job with a Georgia/Tennessee accent in that same movie.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    lol soviet science iconography

tumblr_m5xo29Y01m1qzzsdjo1_500.jpg

brb psytrance album

I saw Frankie Bones DJ last night in a fogged out underground club last night.

It was fucking MADNESS.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Country music radio is the southern accent's virulent miasma.

• Options
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    if I'm kinda drunk, my north Dublin accept comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJwC_vp-_Q

basically I sound like the guy in the tracksuit

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    2n1aooo.png

same play through. drank some chocolate milk and made another deal with the devil

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is tracksuit guy wearing a hoops top?

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

You just wanted to post that video.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Can someone explain the Bespoke Fucks joke to me from the latest Oglaf?

I don't get it.

What's to get? He's a fucksmith. He crafts fucks to order.

I get that.

But with the way people were talking about how amazingly funny it is, I thought that "Bespoke Fucks" was some kind of pun I wasn't getting.

Because a fucksmith is amusing, but not like, titling a blog after it kind of funny.

• Options
    yeah, Celtic have a huge following in North Dublin

because hating the proddies is a real pastime

• Options

You just wanted to post that video.

there's not really many better examples of that type of accent on youtube without the video being being someone smoking weed or fighting.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Can someone explain the Bespoke Fucks joke to me from the latest Oglaf?

I don't get it.

What's to get? He's a fucksmith. He crafts fucks to order.

I get that.

But with the way people were talking about how amazingly funny it is, I thought that "Bespoke Fucks" was some kind of pun I wasn't getting.

Because a fucksmith is amusing, but not like, titling a blog after it kind of funny.

what, did someone actually start a blog called Bespoke Fucks?

• Options
    yeah, Celtic have a huge following in North Dublin

because hating the proddies is a real pastime

Heh. I remember when I was at uni there was a girl from Ireland that said she supported Celtic despite having no apparent interest in football generally. She was just convinced that good Catholics support Celtic.

• Options
    oh wait, I forgot about this gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AUGH6KTMVg

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular

Midwest people don't sound like TV-American English actors. Perhaps in the past? Met alot of mid-westerners in the Navy, and they sounded like a little bit of the south crept up and infected their speech.

I will admit that the area that the accent is in is pretty narrow. If you go to the wiki page for the General American Accent, there's a pretty accurate map that shows its range. Much further north, you get the Norwegian influenced fargo/Minnesoooota accent, farther south, you do get some southern influence, further east it gets like Chicagoan accent and further west, its hard to explain, but there's definitely an accent. "Wash" becomes "wersh."

But yeah, there are and were a lot of Hollywood actors and Newscasters from that area.

• Options
    what, did someone actually start a blog called Bespoke Fucks?

A Tumblr, apparently.

Also that is now forever in the catalogue of data that google is keeping about me.

• Options
    It blows my mind that Catholic vs Protestant is still a real thing in a place I think of as a modern country. Isn't it just a little embarrassing for all y'all?

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    All my friends are either from cork or dublin. Cork is the best. Getting drunk with them just turns into a song.

When I get drunk with my dublin boys it's just like "DUDE I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING"

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

I will admit that the area that the accent is in is pretty narrow. If you go to the wiki page for the General American Accent, there's a pretty accurate map that shows its range. Much further north, you get the Norwegian influenced fargo/Minnesoooota accent, farther south, you do get some southern influence, further east it gets like Chicagoan accent and further west, its hard to explain, but there's definitely an accent. "Wash" becomes "wersh."

But yeah, there are and were a lot of Hollywood actors and Newscasters from that area.

Then please describe the accent that Californians have that is different than that?

And don't say "like and dude" because those are slang words not an accent.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

It's not his German, it's the way he signals that he wants 3 beers. He doesn't use his thumb.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    It blows my mind that Catholic vs Protestant is still a real thing in a place I think of as a modern country. Isn't it just a little embarrassing for all y'all?

It's a real minority thing. It's an excuse for scumbags to be scumbags.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    DUE what is that game?

This discussion has been closed.