Options

Prude Victorian Fencing [chat]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    the dude in that video sounds and speaks JUST like my friend Allen

it's a little unsettling actually!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    All my friends are either from cork or dublin. Cork is the best. Getting drunk with them just turns into a song.

When I get drunk with my dublin boys it's just like "DUDE I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING"

Cork people have the hardest accent to understand.

Also, Cork in a Cork accent sounds like someone saying "cock"

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It blows my mind that Catholic vs Protestant is still a real thing in a place I think of as a modern country. Isn't it just a little embarrassing for all y'all?

Yeah!

True Christians hate the Islams!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    TL DR wrote: »
    DUE what is that game?

The Binding of Isaac.

it's pretty amazing. I'm still on the playthrough that I posted above but I just picked up an item that reset my hearts down to one BUT I now have 9 lives.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    It blows my mind that Catholic vs Protestant is still a real thing in a place I think of as a modern country. Isn't it just a little embarrassing for all y'all?

we have a whole network set up to demonize muslims...

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Woo, we got the gold in women's skeet shooting. USA USA USA

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

It's a pain in the arse is what it is.

All heavy police presence for football matches, bomb threat procedures and drills, and the endless bloody marching.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Everyone always thinks that the way they talk is "general american" or "zero" or whatever but they're always wrong.

They're wrong because they are not me.

Eh, the California thing is true though. It's because of Hollywood.

There is a "stereotypical california accent" that approximately 1% of Californians have.

And all the rest of us sound like we just walked off a soap opera or sitcom.

This is a joke a right? I mean, the actual "General American" accent is supposed to be the Midwest/Great Plains area. A lot of the early Hollywood actors were from Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri.

Midwest people don't sound like TV-American English actors. Perhaps in the past? Met alot of mid-westerners in the Navy, and they sounded like a little bit of the south crept up and infected their speech.

I will admit that the area that the accent is in is pretty narrow. If you go to the wiki page for the General American Accent, there's a pretty accurate map that shows its range. Much further north, you get the Norwegian influenced fargo/Minnesoooota accent, farther south, you do get some southern influence, further east it gets like Chicagoan accent and further west, its hard to explain, but there's definitely an accent. "Wash" becomes "wersh."

But yeah, there are and were a lot of Hollywood actors and Newscasters from that area.

Then please describe the accent that Californians have that is different than that?

And don't say "like and dude" because those are slang words not an accent.

In my experience, there's a big difference in between Los Angeles area and San Francisco area so I don't know how to describe California generally.

Edit: My cousin from San Francisco has some characteristics that are closer to the east coast accent, while her boyfriend from San Diego genuinely has a surfer's accent, and I don't just mean in the word choice, but the way he pronounces "u" sounds.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    All my friends are either from cork or dublin. Cork is the best. Getting drunk with them just turns into a song.

When I get drunk with my dublin boys it's just like "DUDE I CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING"

Cork people have the hardest accent to understand.

Also, Cork in a Cork accent sounds like someone saying "cock"

I've always found it easier, especially because of the specific rhythms and cadences they use.

Maybe it's because my grandfather was from cork though. I guess that would help.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oh, and no sodding litter bins in stations.

That is probably the most annoying aspect

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    DUE what is that game?

The Binding of Isaac.

it's pretty amazing. I'm still on the playthrough that I posted above but I just picked up an item that reset my hearts down to one BUT I now have 9 lives.

THAT ITEM IS AWFUL

oops capslock but it is the worst

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    DUE what is that game?

The Binding of Isaac.

THAT ITEM IS AWFUL

oops capslock but it is the worst

it is truly shit

• Options

Yeah!

True Christians hate everybody.
    ndx5y.gif

• Options
    japan wrote: »

All heavy police presence for football matches, bomb threat procedures and drills, and the endless bloody marching.

Really it's only an issue at old firm games and the occasional Liverpool match and sure, there's not going to be any old firm matches next season anyway!

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

Really it's only an issue at old firm games and the occasional Liverpool match and sure, there's not going to be any old firm matches next season anyway!

Marching season is still a pain in the tits.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    Woo, we got the gold in women's skeet shooting. USA USA USA

the appropriate response

probably NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYH7_GzP4Tg

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Yeah!

True Christians hate everybody.
    ndx5y.gif

especially the fags!

fred_phelps.jpg

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    You know what's funny?

My sister almost got me "going to an anime convention" as my birthday present... i'm so thankful she went for "going to a film festival" instead. So many great films.

• Options
    isaacsamsonpets2.png

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Everyone always thinks that the way they talk is "general american" or "zero" or whatever but they're always wrong.

They're wrong because they are not me.

Eh, the California thing is true though. It's because of Hollywood.

There is a "stereotypical california accent" that approximately 1% of Californians have.

And all the rest of us sound like we just walked off a soap opera or sitcom.

This is a joke a right? I mean, the actual "General American" accent is supposed to be the Midwest/Great Plains area. A lot of the early Hollywood actors were from Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska/Missouri.

Midwest people don't sound like TV-American English actors. Perhaps in the past? Met alot of mid-westerners in the Navy, and they sounded like a little bit of the south crept up and infected their speech.

I will admit that the area that the accent is in is pretty narrow. If you go to the wiki page for the General American Accent, there's a pretty accurate map that shows its range. Much further north, you get the Norwegian influenced fargo/Minnesoooota accent, farther south, you do get some southern influence, further east it gets like Chicagoan accent and further west, its hard to explain, but there's definitely an accent. "Wash" becomes "wersh."

But yeah, there are and were a lot of Hollywood actors and Newscasters from that area.

Then please describe the accent that Californians have that is different than that?

And don't say "like and dude" because those are slang words not an accent.

In my experience, there's a big difference in between Los Angeles area and San Francisco area so I don't know how to describe California generally.

Edit: My cousin from San Francisco has some characteristics that are closer to the east coast accent, while her boyfriend from San Diego genuinely has a surfer's accent, and I don't just mean in the word choice, but the way he pronounces "u" sounds.

I'm from the Bay Area, can't say I noticed a difference when visting SoCal (or when I was stationed there but that's while I was in the Navy so I was constantly exposed to... basically every possible regional American accent on a daily basis so my ability to distinguish between them was probably close to gone by that point).

The surfer accent is a thing, but it's not something you encounter every day. It's certainly not typical of Californians in general.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Damn it, BBC, if you're not going to air the Team USA awesomeness live you could at least make sure your Catch Up player isn't total ass.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Alaskan's have an accent.

And I am not joking when I say that if the accent has a name, it should be called "American derp".

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    In Russia, Cat youtubes you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qQLY6Yt01k

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Most of the Californian's I've met have either sounded normal (40%) stoned/surfer (15%) airy hippie (15%) and mexican (30%).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Yeah, but that's a relatively new thing and we are totes embarrassed!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Most of the Californian's I've met have either sounded normal (40%) stoned/surfer (15%) airy hippie (15%) and mexican (30%).

Have you met more than 5 Californians?

• Options
    @nerdgasmic
    @onthelastcastle

ejtyy0.png

awful you say? just killed Mom. Only took me 47 tries. Whoo!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Embarrassment is not a proper American emotion, Citizen.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options

Yeah, but that's a relatively new thing and we are totes embarrassed!

22705703.jpg

• Options

Yes.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    So I'm out of groceries and going shopping tomorrow. I haven't had an unhealthy meal in two weeks.

Me thinks its cheesesteak time.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The percentages are arbitrary.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Embarrassment is not a proper American emotion, Citizen.

Without auto-correct, can Americans even spell 'embarrassment'?

• Options

And I am not joking when I say that if the accent has a name, it should be called "American derp".

alaska rules

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular

If he hasn't met at least 20 then he's lying. :bz

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Sheep wrote: »
    wut

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWQwgJVvd5s

I... what... Why? Why did you link this?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

alaska rules

I hear it's got some great meth.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i'm not sure whether i should commit to growing this beard

the interim stage makes me look really sketchy

and most women do not like beards

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6N8SEkw4o

this is what it feels like to beat the binding of isaac

steam_sig.png