Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »
    So because there are worse things happening, we shouldn't pay any attention to this video?

This is the GLBT thread.

One video about an asshole customer at a drive through who happens to be gay has received enough play here.

If you want to start a thread about it I am cool with that.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    So because there are worse things happening, we shouldn't pay any attention to this video?

This is the GLBT thread.

One video about an asshole customer at a drive through who happens to be gay has received enough play here.

If you want to start a thread about it I am cool with that.

Nitpicking, but the guy made it ADAMANTLY clear that he wasn't gay. Not a gay in him, if I haven't misquoted.

I'll concede the topic is loosely on topic, I just found the irony too delicious to pass up.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's complaining that the kid who always gets bullied finally took a swing at his tormentor, after never saying a word about the abuse he's taken.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    The brouhaha over this video really illustrates how far we have to go on gay rights.

There are... fucking thousands of videos of christian bigots on youtube who are all too happy to tell you how gays are teh evul.

But one gay dude makes a video of himself being an asshole at a drive through and the entire gay rights movement needs to bury itself in a hole in shame.

Fuck that, and the people making this out to be more than it is.

Changes nothing about Fuck-Fil-A's shitty policy of funding hate groups.

Right, and when those videos are posted in these threads, we bitch and moan about the horrific attitude of those people in the videos as well. That does not exclude this guy who "doesn't have a gay in him" bitching out an innocent fast food worker, but this also does not exclude the whole gay rights movement.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

It's complaining that the kid who always gets bullied finally took a swing at his tormentor, after never saying a word about the abuse he's taken.

Taking lots of abuse doesn't make dishing it out okay

Understandable and acceptable are not the same thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Whatever, it isn't really topical and I feel like this is being turned into a "Those Chick-Fil-A boycotters are just as bad as Chick-Fil-A because look at this one guy.

Which is bullshit.

Make a thread for it. It's not a LGBT issue.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's related to the Chick Fil A thing, which is talked abuot in here. If it bugs you, make a thread for it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    The brouhaha over this video really illustrates how far we have to go on gay rights.

There are... fucking thousands of videos of christian bigots on youtube who are all too happy to tell you how gays are teh evul.

But one gay dude makes a video of himself being an asshole at a drive through and the entire gay rights movement needs to bury itself in a hole in shame.

You mean the CEO's position of personally funding anti-gay groups.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Berating the Chick-Fil-A employee was out of line. That said, stopping at a Chick-Fil-A to get a free cup of water, just to grief them, on top of boycotting them seems fair game to me. Probably be more effective to not use the drive through, just walk in since chances are pretty good they'll give you a cup to fill up with water, so you can fill it up with as much ice as possible and make off with more than a straw (like several straws, napkins and anything else you can take that wouldn't be considered theft).

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    wooo meaningless semantics!

• Options
    Whatever, it isn't really topical and I feel like this is being turned into a "Those Chick-Fil-A boycotters are just as bad as Chick-Fil-A because look at this one guy.

Which is bullshit.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying this. And I'm not sure you can just declare what is an issue or not and demand people cease their discussion or "move along" with it. You're coming off as pretty silly right now. I'm sure you're passionate about the gays right to file joint tax returns and what not but that doesn't mean you're the only one who cares or that you can dictate the conversation because you don't like some of the context.

Go eat some chicken, grab a waffle fry, calm yourself down and remember where you are at. This thread isn't going to single handedly fix all the problems today.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

You mean the CEO's position of personally funding anti-gay groups.

No I'm pretty sure part of the reason boycotting CFA has become a thing is that CFA the company, not just the CEO personally, has donated to anti-gay groups

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I don't doubt that but I would need to see some financials to prove it, and I'll be honest I don't give a shit about CFA in the long run because my stance is most people have no idea where their money is going in all the things they buy anyway, and this hot button issue will move on soon enough.

The CEO however made his stance very public when asked so that is who I hold accountable in context to disparaging a lot of people not involved. The rest is moot to me.

I mean there are a lot of bigots in the world but people tend to automatically say "Christian bigot" here which is quite unfair to to the rest, so I know the amount of blind ignorance and hate to expect in these conversations. I just try and minimize the blast zone.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Except he's not swinging at his tormentor, he's swinging at some poor girl who works for someone who pays franchise rights to his tormentor.

You might as well claim he was swinging at Kevin Bacon.

BSoB on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular

Which is bullshit.

But it's their only non-religious argument against the LGBT crowd.

They've got this and "The Bible says so"! It's pretty much just "Any port in a storm".

• Options
    benholiobenholio Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    That video of the guy at the drive through... ugh. Making bottom rung employee's day tough is not striking a blow against CFA.

Anyone who isn't self-employed may well be working for a company with aspects that are less than stellar, if not deplorable.

I work for a massive corporation that spans the globe in one fashion or another. I know they do good and charitable things for a variety of local and larger scale causes, but I'm sure if someone went over the books and contracts with a fine toothed comb they'd find something I wouldn't want to be directly associated with.

When you go far enough down the food chain eventually you just hit people doing what they can to make ends meet. Unless they themselves are individually treating people badly based on prejudices, I don't see what good we'll do harassing CFA drive through window employees. It's not likely you're going to impact their mult-billion dollar bottom line snagging free water (while idling for a couple of minutes, wasting more money than you're taking from them in gas, I'm sure).

I was actually impressed with the way the girl handled herself in the video to the man obviously heckling her. She didn't get very rude and he continued to be an ass to her. Everyone hates those customers, and if anything, I would give her a raise and be looking at manager material after that, because she can obviously deal with customers.

On the flipside of this Chik-Fil-A debacle, doesn't Chik-Fil-A apparently give awesome benefits to their employees, like helping pay for college? I remember hearing that on the Daily Show the other day.

On a completely different note, how did the sit-in part 2 go for the Texas guys and their friends?

This part is totally true. My sister worked there all through high school (she graduated in 88, so this was awhile ago) and they gave her a $5,000.00 scholarship for maintaining a certain GPA and working a set number of hours while working there.

• Options
    To be fair, a lot of people passionate about gay rights can be pretty rude and misrepresent the core ideals with or without realizing it. They just aren't recording themselves.

The mall chikfila here gets a bunch of people as of late calling people eating there haters and bigots and they flip people off and just generally act pretty inappropriate. But you should consider that they are also individuals and should be held accountable for their own actions.

Ideally we should not be grouping people together, one way or the other for their individual actions. Hypocrisy is a stinky cologne.

• Options
    We've won over basically everyone who can be won over with politeness at this point.

The Sarah Palins Rush Limbaughs and Michalle Bachmans of the nation cannot be reasoned with.

They can be shamed until the people supporting them feel ashamed by the association.

And lets be frank.

They should feel ashamed because wanting to deny civil rights to your fellow citizens is deplorable.

There is no hipocrisy here. Chick-Fil-A drive through guy should feel ashamed for himself. His actions do not make the gay community guilty of jack or shit.

Since the Chick-Fil-A Ceo has made his position clear, those who flock to his franchises to "show support" are showing support for his position, and they too should be ashamed.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    While these people do not speak for the movement, this is a fact that should be clarified. There's no shame in firmly stating that we do not approve of people using these methods, however noble their intentions might be.

Since the Chick-Fil-A Ceo has made his position clear, those who flock to his franchises to "show support" are showing support for his position, and they too should be ashamed.

You can support Chick-Fil-A without supporting their position. There's a lot of gay people for gay rights who dislike what's being done in this instance. I do not suggest we shame them.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    With all the gay friendly business out there, some of them very large and esteemed, it seems odd to me that gay and lesbian people would want to support a company that is opposed to civil rights for gay people.

In fact, I do not know any gays or lesbians or bisexuals, or pansexuals or furries, or otherkin, or transfolk, or poly people who do.

The only people I know personally who are supporting Chick-Fil-A right now are people who are opposed to civil rights for gays and lesbians.

I'm sure there are some gays out there who do as you say, just as there are gay Republicans.

It doesn't make them not wrong.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You can support Chick-Fil-A without supporting their position. There's a lot of gay people for gay rights who dislike what's being done in this instance. I do not suggest we shame them.

This would be true if CEO/corporate money wasn't funding anti-gay causes. Plenty of CEOs and businesses (even semi-religious ones) don't do this for precisely this reason. I haven't heard anything about the admittedly Christian In-n-Out Burger donating to hate groups.

But because CFA's money goes to hate groups, they've made it impossible to support the "business" side of the company without also supporting the "bigot" side of the company. Sorry, but that's how they've set it up.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    While these people do not speak for the movement, this is a fact that should be clarified. There's no shame in firmly stating that we do not approve of people using these methods, however noble their intentions might be.

As stated in the last thread, no, you can't. Spending money at CFA means that anti-gay hate groups will get more cash.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

This would be true if CEO/corporate money wasn't funding anti-gay causes. Plenty of CEOs and businesses (even semi-religious ones) don't do this for precisely this reason. I haven't heard anything about the admittedly Christian In-n-Out Burger donating to hate groups.

But because CFA's money goes to hate groups, they've made it impossible to support the "business" side of the company without also supporting the "bigot" side of the company. Sorry, but that's how they've set it up.

This is why it is a mistake to politicize something like food unless you're damn sure you are ready for the fallout.

Crying about it after you stepped in it doesn't engender any sympathy from me.

• Options
    edited August 2012

I certainly see why people are doing what they're doing, I'm not arguing that at all. But I don't think it makes one immoral or bigoted for still supporting the company. We don't call Apple consumers promotors of Chinese quasi-slave labor.

The sad thing here is that as companies go, Chick-fil-a is pretty damn good on the "Light Side-Dark Side" meter. I'm not sure why we have to tar-and-feather them because of one issue. Seems like a baby-bathwater situation here, where literally nothing else matters except this one issue.

I'd like to think we're a bit more broad-minded then that.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options

I certainly see why people are doing what they're doing, I'm not arguing that at all. But I don't think it makes one immoral or bigoted for still supporting the company. We don't call Apple consumers promotors of Chinese quasi-slave labor.
    Because Steve Jobs didn't state that he personally believed in sweatshop labor, and he didn't donate loads of Apple's revenue to organizations promoting sweatshops in China.
    The sad thing here is that as companies go, Chick-fil-a is pretty damn good on the "Light Side-Dark Side" meter. I'm not sure why we have to tar-and-feather them because of one issue. Seems like a baby-bathwater situation here, where literally nothing else matters except this one issue.
    No, I feel pretty confident that their treatment of their straight employees doesn't outweigh their promotion of violent hatred at all.

• Options
    Sorry but how much good does a company have to do to offset the horrible shit? Are we back to letting the Catholic Church fuck a kid for every homeless shelter they set up?

• Options

I'd like to think we're a bit more broad-minded then that.

What?

• Options
    I mean this all white country club does totes for charity what is up with all these uppity black people can't they see how unfair their complaints are?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Because Steve Jobs didn't state that he personally believed in sweatshop labor, and he didn't donate loads of Apple's revenue to organizations promoting sweatshops in China.

But that's how the product got made. Sweat Shops. When you bought an IPOD, that's what you supported. I don't care what Steve Jobs stated or didn't state, that was the reality.

]No, I feel pretty confident that their treatment of their straight employees doesn't outweigh their promotion of violent hatred at all.

Somehow, I feel nothing regarding straight people is ever actually going to matter to some people.

• Options
    Also, people did give Apple lots of shit for Foxconn, and rightfully so. Apple is still working to change the conditions there. However Apple can hardly snap its fingers and change China's labor laws or build new factories in a different country. CFA can stop donating to hate groups today.

Furthermore, if you want to buy any sort of computer, whether from Apple or Dell or HP or whoever, it's getting made by Foxconn. Apple just caught the brunt of the bad PR, but customers basically had little to no choice of non-Foxconn-made computers. I can find a fried chicken sandwich not made by bigots pretty easily.

Basically what I'm saying is your Foxconn comparison is a pile of shit.
    ]No, I feel pretty confident that their treatment of their straight employees doesn't outweigh their promotion of violent hatred at all.

Somehow, I feel nothing regarding straight people is ever actually going to matter to some people.

What does this even mean.

• Options
    Sorry but how much good does a company have to do to offset the horrible shit? Are we back to letting the Catholic Church fuck a kid for every homeless shelter they set up?

No, that's not what I'm saying. But there's a way to support the good they do while decrying the bad. You don't have to close down the homeless shelters because you hate the pedophiles. How does that help anything?

• Options

But that's how the product got made. Sweat Shops. When you bought an IPOD, that's what you supported. I don't care what Steve Jobs stated or didn't state, that was the reality.
    There is a difference between using sweatshop labor as a matter of business and making a personal commitment to it, which is frankly far more straightforward than your claim of supporting CFA but somehow not supporting its soi-disant Christian values.
    No, I feel pretty confident that their treatment of their straight employees doesn't outweigh their promotion of violent hatred at all.

Meaning?

• Options

No, that's not what I'm saying. But there's a way to support the good they do while decrying the bad. You don't have to close down the homeless shelters because you hate the pedophiles. How does that help anything?

If the homeless shelter is donating part of your donation to NAMBLA you actually do have to do something.

• Options

It'll put some pedophiles in jail for one thing...

• Options
    Also, people did give Apple lots of shit for Foxconn, and rightfully so. Apple is still working to change the conditions there. However Apple can hardly snap its fingers and change China's labor laws or build new factories in a different country. CFA can stop donating to hate groups today.

Furthermore, if you want to buy any sort of computer, whether from Apple or Dell or HP or whoever, it's getting made by Foxconn. Apple just caught the brunt of the bad PR, but customers basically had little to no choice of non-Foxconn-made computers. I can find a fried chicken sandwich not made by bigots pretty easily.

Obviously the choice was to stop using computers, because that would effect the bottom line, right? I mean, if you want to take it to its logical conclusion. Are you merely protesting Chick-fil-a because it's convenient for you to do so?
    What does this even mean.

Why did you feel you had to make the straight distinction? They're helping people, more than many. There's no reason to simply toss that out the window because those people straight.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    So the picture I'm getting here is that no matter what else a company does, we need to tear them down for supporting things we do not support.

I mean, Christ. I'm for gay rights. I don't like what the Chick-fil-a CEO did. But I think some bloody perspective is needed here. The world is not as simple as, "People supporting things I do not support must be brought down and trampled upon." Or at least, it shouldn't be.

EDIT: Never mind. Continue with the crusade, I'm out.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options

Obviously the choice was to stop using computers, because that would effect the bottom line, right? I mean, if you want to take it to its logical conclusion. Are you merely protesting Chick-fil-a because it's convenient for you to do so?

Why should that not be a factor.

oh I get it, we're back to insisting on absolute purity for any action. @CaptainCarrot can you bring that quote back (or whoever had that post in the last thread).

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    So the picture I'm getting here is that no matter what else a company does, we need to tear them down for supporting things we do not support.

I mean, Christ. I'm for gay rights. I don't like what the Chick-fil-a CEO did. But I think some bloody perspective is needed here. The world is not as simple as, "People supporting things I do not support must be brought down and trampled upon." Or at least, it shouldn't be.

EDIT: Never mind. Continue with the crusade, I'm out.

There's a difference between "supporting things we don't support" and "donating $5 million to prevent a group of people from sharing rights others have."