Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    guys, you just don't see it because you aren't artists like him.

or I could just be wrong.
    Which would crush me. I have a deep emotional investment in this opinion.

DO I HAVE A MOVIE FOR YOU

twins-film.jpg

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Guys, I know literally nothing about this game. I'm looking for a quality strategy game where you get stupidly attached to your little squad/party and devastated if they die, ala Fire Emblem or Valkyria Chronicles. This it?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Well, it's not out yet, but signs point to yes. Otherwise you can buy the original, which is definitely that.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Dis be it, son.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    By the way guys, a quick google makes it clear that Steam will ban you for connecting using VPN to get around the preload.

That sucks, and is super new. I disapprove. Good info though, thanks.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Well this was my search https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=steam+bans+for+vpn&oq=steam+bans+for+vpn&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and there were a lot of people reporting things like automatic bans for using proxies. There was one source that said they wouldn't, but it was gamefaqs so...

If there's some difference between VPN and a normal proxy (I'm not particularly tech minded) I'd be interested to hear it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The difference is irrelevant because the end goal is to connect to Steam via a different IP address from your own region to subvert the service's geolocation-based lockout. Anecdotally, people here have done it with seemingly no consequence, but it is specifically forbidden by the Steam EULA under penalty of account termination (I believe this is a fairly recent addition as well).

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Well this was my search https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=steam+bans+for+vpn&oq=steam+bans+for+vpn&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and there were a lot of people reporting things like automatic bans for using proxies. There was one source that said they wouldn't, but it was gamefaqs so...

If there's some difference between VPN and a normal proxy (I'm not particularly tech minded) I'd be interested to hear it.

The main difference is that a vpn utilizes encryption on your data between the client and server, where mostly proxies don't make the effort, afaik.

• Options
    So if any of you in this thread are in the position Tube was in a few days ago, and you want to get into the old X-COM game but you can't because all of those fucking buttons are unlabeled, I made the video I promised, which explains all the buttons. I will make two more videos, and presumably each will be timed to be released right after they would've been useful to Tube (although part 3, which is about running X-COM on modern systems, might come before Tube figures out all the neat stuff you can do there!). Until then, here is part 1 for you poor souls who haven't gotten into what is potentially still a much better game than the new remake coming out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzA8dpcveUY

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Until then, here is part 1 for you poor souls who haven't gotten into what is potentially still a much better game than the new remake coming out

Man you lay it on so thick sometimes I can taste it. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    man that multi video with the guy who goes 5300 point sniper and 4600 point stealth assault as a spotter

that is so boring

two units? bleeeehhhhhh. and that is going to be SO common in Ranked.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    man that multi video with the guy who goes 5300 point sniper and 4600 point stealth assault as a spotter

that is so boring

two units? bleeeehhhhhh. and that is going to be SO common in Ranked.

Neither of those guys were any good, either. There were multiple critical mistakes made on either side in every game, so much so that it was more a matter of who played least dumbest rather than most smartest. C'mon, running your 3000-point 'lid right up the middle and leaving him there unsupported? Pretty stupid.

And honestly, I really wish that stupid flying sniper thing was not in the game. Flying sniper is fine, but a flying sniper that gets better the farther you are away and one-shots almost everything and has a fat stack of HP? Pretty damned stupid design for multiplayer, even just from the standpoint that it's boring as hell to watch. Conversely, the guy with a stack of floaters definitely had the tools to win, especially when the ghost unit was all the way on the other side of the field. Should've hopped all of floaters across the map where the shots were coming from; then there would've been way too many floaters to take down, especially since one could always supress while the others fire. By the time the ghost unit would've caught up, the game would've already been essentially over.

I don't think snipers will be all that common, though. Once people figure out they just need crap to block line of sight, they basically make a 5000 point unit a useless paperweight because it can't bullshot anybody. In the meantime, the other team can pick off the spotters from cover.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    the problem is that with squad sight, the sniper can shoot anyone, no matter what buildings or obstacles are between the sniper and the target.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Flight fuel is actually extremely limited. Considering that for what the suit costs you could bring along something like two Thin Men, it's utility is pretty mediocre. Remember that we've never seen a competent player face off against that strat.

• Options
    the problem is that with squad sight, the sniper can shoot anyone, no matter what buildings or obstacles are between the sniper and the target.
    That sounds... kind of not so great. Still, if someone tries to pull this shit, isn't it vulnerable to, like, getting shot? If you only have two dudes? I didn't watch the video, but if you just run in the direction the shots are coming from eventually you have to hit the enemy and get a chance to shoot them, right? And with superior numbers it can't be too hard to eventually kill them.

• Options
    The sniper still needs a direct line of fire. If there's building in the way, squad sight buys you nothing.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Until then, here is part 1 for you poor souls who haven't gotten into what is potentially still a much better game than the new remake coming out

Man you lay it on so thick sometimes I can taste it. :lol:

Helpful stuff.

I'd figured out most of the buttons (either by reading the manual or just playing around), but it's still entertaining. Your version seems more stable than mine, so I look forward to part 3.

• Options
    there are surely counters to archangel armour, yeah, though it is kind of a goofily effective tactic for little thought.

I don't like that there is no way to cut sight lines against a distant squad sight shooter, though. I think it makes snipers much more effective than they should be, even indoors.

• Options
    The sniper still needs a direct line of fire. If there's building in the way, squad sight buys you nothing.

you sure? that wasn't how it worked in some of the videos i've seen. because that would be great!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    omg unlocking at 9pm on monday now? woooo

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    5 days to go, here in the UK - getting close !

I have Spec Ops and Saboteur to keep my occupied, but I'm counting the hours...

• Options

you sure? that wasn't how it worked in some of the videos i've seen. because that would be great!

If you watch the most recent MP video, in the third game the streamer goes archangel sniper and some fodder, and at one point in the match is unable to shoot some dudes across the map because there is a big building in the way.

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    no? still says 2 days 4 hours.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

That is definitely how it works. Don't know what videos you were watching. In the Alien base video that got taken down, there are plenty of examples of a useless sniper because there's walls in the way, despite there being aliens in sight of other units.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    some stores are apparently breaking street date on this and dishonored.

if only steam would unlock when a store does this ;p

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    no? still says 2 days 4 hours.

West Coast vs East Coast.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

If you watch the most recent MP video, in the third game the streamer goes archangel sniper and some fodder, and at one point in the match is unable to shoot some dudes across the map because there is a big building in the way.

That's why they normally go archangel and not ghost. Archangel gets you multiple tiles above the terrain, effectively LOS to everything. Ghost just puts you on top of buildings, which is slightly less useful, but low terrain/cars won't save them.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

That's why they normally go archangel and not ghost. Archangel gets you multiple tiles above the terrain, effectively LOS to everything. Ghost just puts you on top of buildings, which is slightly less useful, but low terrain/cars won't save them.

Even if you're at max height, a huge building or a truck or tombs are still going to block Line of Fire if the target is close to them.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Or being indoors

We've already seen that at least one multiplayer map allows you to go inside a bar

At which point a sniper at street level would be able to shoot in, but someone flying higher can't shoot them from outside

I'm not really worried about this particular gimmick, although played well it could be a pretty potent team

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hey. Does the special edition include the Elite Soldier Pack DLC? It seems like it does.

• Options
    well in that case, i'm just going to stop complaining, watch this MP video, and maybe touch myself a little whenever the sniper misses a shot.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Demo seems to stutter at some parts. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to turn something off or on?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Ran smoothly as any other UE3 game on my end.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular

I think the sniper still needs LOS, there's just no range limitation

• Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    I must hurry and finish sleeping dogs before this unlocks! My people need me!

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular

This is obviously a little off topic - and I can't speak for anywhere but Australia - but the "Subscriber Agreement" relates to access to the Steam service. It does not of itself relate to individual games or services to which the service provides access.

Valve may assert that it does via their EULA but fair use in Australia means that if they terminated your access to the Steam service, then by necessity would need to give you some redress to third party programs (ie your games) via either unlocking them all, or perhaps via a refund or some other method of squaring the loss.

I am not saying that they say it this way and I think in practical terms unless you are big on standing on your rights to lawfully use your products, I would follow Tube's advice to avoid potential inconvenience...

• Options
    So, there is an Achievement for beating the game on Impossible, and internally they've only had 2 people manage it.

Good luck, Achievement-Whores! I am not envious.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    So if any of you in this thread are in the position Tube was in a few days ago, and you want to get into the old X-COM game but you can't because all of those fucking buttons are unlabeled, I made the video I promised, which explains all the buttons. I will make two more videos, and presumably each will be timed to be released right after they would've been useful to Tube (although part 3, which is about running X-COM on modern systems, might come before Tube figures out all the neat stuff you can do there!). Until then, here is part 1 for you poor souls who haven't gotten into what is potentially still a much better game than the new remake coming out:

youtube.com/watch?v=pzA8dpcveUY
    Hey, so while we're all posting videos, I've got something for you. It's kind of an odd one though. It's about why the original game is potentially still much better than the remake, or why the remake is potentially just as good and you shouldn't worry about it. It all depends on how the new game turns out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-FSchUpBQ

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    MandabarMandabar Gamer Guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Gah. A brief google jaunt suggests that attempting to unlock the game early would be fraught with peril.

Basically people have done it before and not been banned, but it is technically against the steam TOS (as of about 2 weeks ago!) so they could ban my account if they really wanted to.
    You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.

So while there's every chance they'd let me do this on the basis that they're not actually losing any money, its still not strictly speaking allowed. And i'd be losing access to hundreds of dollars of games if my account did get banned.

I wouldn't recommend the VPN method. Seems to be lots of scuttlebutt about recent TOS to change to SSA and its not a good idea.

VPN seems too risky, might lose paychecks worth of money in games. :(

I meanwhile can't wait till Tuesday 12:01. I'll be in Wangcom chat then. Also, I'm preloaded babyyyyy!

Mandabar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I think the bigger question is how is Tube doing in his X-Com UFO Defense game? 8->

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
This discussion has been closed.