As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    It might not be the best idea to make that sort of suggestion in a thread that a mod has semi-frequently been posting in.

• Options
    MandabarMandabar Gamer Guy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Bonepart wrote: »
    I think the bigger question is how is Tube doing in his X-Com UFO Defense game? 8->

Really should be required to be running a livestream of it.
    Corpekata wrote: »
    It might not be the best idea to make that sort of suggestion in a thread that a mod has semi-frequently been posting in.

Eh, your probably right, but I would hate for someone to vpn and lose thier account to play something they bought already. Damn staggering releases. Its only 3/4 days. But some release staggers I have seen have been weeks/months. Besides. harbors are cool. Great places to swim in.

Sigh =(

Mandabar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, there is an Achievement for beating the game on Impossible, and internally they've only had 2 people manage it.

Good luck, Achievement-Whores! I am not envious.

I'm looking forward to that one precisely because its a challenge, but the "Beat Ironman mode on either Classic or Impossible difficulty" is the hardest one in the list.

I want to get both!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Reading the interviews has convinced me to go to classic for my first run. Pride cometh before a fall and all that, but it looks like normal would be too easy, and classic is just about right if you've beaten the old ones.

Still not going ironman first time out. I may be overconfident, but I'm not suicidal.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Reading the interviews has convinced me to go to classic for my first run. Pride cometh before a fall and all that, but it looks like normal would be too easy, and classic is just about right if you've beaten the old ones.

Still not going ironman first time out. I may be overconfident, but I'm not suicidal.
    Ironman strikes me as the sort of thing you'd want to have on no matter what difficulty you play at, because it keeps you from getting into the savescumming crutch mindset and forces you to play the game in a way where your decisions really matter. Starting on classic but reloading whenever something goes horribly wrong seems to be an odd way to go about it - if you don't want horribly wrong stuff to happen in the first place, then why not play on an easier difficulty rather than just reloading every time it happens?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, ironman I think makes sense. If you fail while learning. Then well you learned something and had FUN while doing it. I do believe I'm going to also start out on classic. I just hope I don't have to wimp out after getting wiped out. That might mean that I now am playing at normal.
    Sirialis wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, there is an Achievement for beating the game on Impossible, and internally they've only had 2 people manage it.

Good luck, Achievement-Whores! I am not envious.

I'm looking forward to that one precisely because its a challenge, but the "Beat Ironman mode on either Classic or Impossible difficulty" is the hardest one in the list.

I want to get both!

So there is 2 achievements? One each for Classic Ironman and Impossible Ironman? Man, those will be the tough ones to get. If it's just Classic Ironman, well then. We can do it. Eventually. Probably.

Mandabar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    The "finish on impossible" isn't hard, because i can just save-whore my way to victory.

Classic Ironman is gonna be where it's at.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm doing Ironman because I am weak willed and if I don't i'll be loading every five seconds.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I need more multiplayer vids. I honestly haven't felt this impatient since like Christmas when I was eight.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Ironman strikes me as the sort of thing you'd want to have on no matter what difficulty you play at, because it keeps you from getting into the savescumming crutch mindset and forces you to play the game in a way where your decisions really matter. Starting on classic but reloading whenever something goes horribly wrong seems to be an odd way to go about it - if you don't want horribly wrong stuff to happen in the first place, then why not play on an easier difficulty rather than just reloading every time it happens?

Because everything I've seen says normal teaches bad habits. Tricks that work there just get you killed on classic.

Meanwhile, ironman means a misclick that gets your best sniper killed is it. Got enough willpower to keep the bulk of my mistakes, but bullshit happens, especially in a first game, and I like being able to mitigate that.

Plus, I've heard the save system is a bit finnicky anyway. Makes one save more of a gamble than I like.

• Options
    Mmmhhh. I don't like hearing the save system is finicky.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvistTorchAvistTorch Registered User regular
    Plus, I've heard the save system is a bit finnicky anyway. Makes one save more of a gamble than I like.
    Huh, really? Where'd you hear that?

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Despite my desire to do an ironman run being in the sub-basement, I'd still take that over say, Fable's save system.

Because while in one of them you can lose all of your progress to a misclick, in the other you lose all of your progress because the game just damn feels like it. (for those that don't know, I'm referring to a one-save, autosaves, with a habit of save corrupting at random, system)

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    the problem is that with squad sight, the sniper can shoot anyone, no matter what buildings or obstacles are between the sniper and the target.

Having played the game in multiplayer, using a psionic sniper (imagine the arcangel sniper, just with added mind control) I can affirm this is 100% not true whatsoever. You need to have both line of sight and a clear shot: if the enemy is obscured you are unable to shoot them. In the 2k vs firaxis game, Pete should have had the first game in the bag by default. The moment the sniper shot, he should have jumped every floater right to the opposite side of the map using blast off, shot him with his own sniper and then immediately proceeded to shoot the arcangel to death. I have no idea why he didn't do that, but it would have been game right there and then (as the ghost unit would have to be obscenely lucky to take out 4ish units by himself).

Floaters are a very good counter to a sniper like that and so are chrysallids (if it is the ground dwelling variety) as they move fast. You have to move them up immensely aggressively and right into the enemies face. Snipers suffer a -30% aim penalty when shooting at close targets, so you have to get right up in their face. If you have something that can jump, teleport about the map to get right in their face and such but then don't do it, that is just your fault.

Also many maps let you hide in buildings or under places (like inside trains and trucks) to make getting a clear line of fire impossible. The exception is graveyard: expect that map to be flying sniper heaven. But then again if you know this, why aren't you taking floaters and flying units to counter and do the exact same thing to them?

Edit: also floaters have no flight fuel and can stay in the air indefinitely should they want. This makes them excellent scouts and blast off can allow them to retreat instantly (or jump into) any bad situation they find themselves in.

IMO chrysallids need a page out of Warhammer and get something like flesh hooks to drag enemy flying units down to them. As it is they are incredibly fast, but cannot do anything about flying units or snipers. They would be an excellent counter to snipers if they had some way of jumping at them or bringing them to the ground.
    Tube wrote: »
    In the original, how is it that aliens seem to be able to mind control me from anywhere on the map? There are no leaders anywhere around and I'm getting mind fisted

They don't need line of sight and they can do it straight through walls to the weakest soldier. You can do the same thing later as well once you research a sectoid or ethereal commander. Despite what some people might tell you about the original game, when you're trying to win th only strategy is holding out long enough to get psionics. Once you get psionics it is game over for the aliens and it becomes a procession towards the end, as nearly everything is hilariously ineffective at stopping psionics.

Of course on high difficulties the question is if you can get there or not, but if you do in my experience it's game over. One of the reasons I much prefer what I have played of XCOM:EU to the original is that psionics are powerful, but lack the "I win" button effect.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    Despite my desire to do an ironman run being in the sub-basement, I'd still take that over say, Fable's save system.

Because while in one of them you can lose all of your progress to a misclick, in the other you lose all of your progress because the game just damn feels like it. (for those that don't know, I'm referring to a one-save, autosaves, with a habit of save corrupting at random, system)
    You mean Borderlands 2? Because Borderlands 2 does that. I picked up FileHamster (PC) to back up my single-slot games, and I'm super happy with it.

• Options
    I am permanently stuck in borderlands 2 due to a big with the wildlife exploitation reserve not opening a door when I quit the game. Means I cannot get back to the boss and therefore can no longer progress. Need to play mp with someone and do that quest 100% correctly in order to advance.

Kind of sucks.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    They don't need line of sight and they can do it straight through walls to the weakest soldier. You can do the same thing later as well once you research a sectoid or ethereal commander. Despite what some people might tell you about the original game, when you're trying to win th only strategy is holding out long enough to get psionics. Once you get psionics it is game over for the aliens and it becomes a procession towards the end, as nearly everything is hilariously ineffective at stopping psionics.

Of course on high difficulties the question is if you can get there or not, but if you do in my experience it's game over. One of the reasons I much prefer what I have played of XCOM:EU to the original is that psionics are powerful, but lack the "I win" button effect.
    While psionics can be used to break the game wide open, they're hardly required to win. You can do just fine with good old fashioned guns and grenades all the way to the very end, believe me.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I am permanently stuck in borderlands 2 due to a big with the wildlife exploitation reserve not opening a door when I quit the game. Means I cannot get back to the boss and therefore can no longer progress. Need to play mp with someone and do that quest 100% correctly in order to advance.

Kind of sucks.
    I'm at that part of the game if you need a partner.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »

You mean Borderlands 2? Because Borderlands 2 does that. I picked up FileHamster (PC) to back up my single-slot games, and I'm super happy with it.

Any game that uses a system like that is just begging for one of it's patches to bug and wipe out everyone's progress. It's a terrible system, and while I kind of get why it's useful in games with multiplayer modes (so you can't, say, trade a gun then reload and still have the gun), but when it's used in single player games like fable it makes me want to kick kittens.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah, aegeri, a couple people clarified that earlier, so I am pleased.

I agree chrysalids (and berserkers) are kind of a gamble to use since a floater or archangel suit will make them really hard to use. At least with a flight suit, you could hide inside buildings or behind obstacles until they run out of fuel, but with floaters it's game over.

To me that's the kind of absolute hard counter that needs to be avoided in MP games. In point buy, especially - the chrysalid is very valuable vs ground units, but useless against air, so those 3000 points are often not worth 3000. Giving them a hook shot ranged attack would be almost too good though.

Obviously the answer is to have chrysalids pick each other up and stack like Disgaea units, so the top guy can maul flying units. Like some kind of horrible chitinous totem pole.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I thought chrysalids were able to leap now? Or is that just to get to the top of buildings, and doesn't work against flying dudes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I thought chrysalids were able to leap now? Or is that just to get to the top of buildings, and doesn't work against flying dudes?
    Just to get on top of things, but they are really amazing. 2 of them on the bar map can cross it in 2 turns, if you and your opponent end up in a literal bar fight you can jump behind his units. Pants will be wet, I assure you.

And psionics in the original game were not required to win, the problem was that once you got them you did just win. Even terror from the deep is a pussy difficulty wise as soon as you get molecular control. The way this game does things is infinitely better and psionics is less a "lol my best guy with a blaster bomb has the mental defenses of a 2 year old, there goes my entire squad lolololol" effect.

• Options
    Whoa, how in the hell did they manage to make this use up 12 gigs? Isn't it a live arcade game?

• Options
    Lork wrote: »
    Whoa, how in the hell did they manage to make this use up 12 gigs? Isn't it a live arcade game?
    Um... No? It has a shitton of content in it, particularly maps. There are about 100 maps in the game I think, plus cutscenes, VA and such probably means a lot of space by default.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    it is a for reals full retail game

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Running a game on Ironman the first time you play it is just stupid. Your decisions have no weight because you have no real basis to determine consequences.

• Options
    Ah, for some reason I thought I heard it was downloadable on the 360.

Running a game on Ironman the first time you play it is just stupid. Your decisions have no weight because you have no real basis to determine consequences.
    Sure you do. It's not like you'll make one mistake and it's game over. If it's anything like the original you'll have plenty of room to screw up and recover without needing to resort to savescumming.

• Options
    Glad I re-installed the original this afternoon, I've already got a story brewing here.

On my first mission, I had only one casualty: a friendly fire incident when Otto Heinsch took a reaction shot.

From now on, he is my pointman, seeking redemption -- and dammit if he won't be squad leader someday. He already saved poor Mikhail's life, charged into a grove of trees to take out the Sectoid that had just winged Mikhail's ear. Turns out there were two in that orchard, and Otto shot 'em both right between the eyes.

Gods I love this game.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options

Running a game without Ironman any time you play is just stupid. Your decisions have no weight because you can just reload any time something goes wrong or you actually manage to lose, erasing the sense of tension and struggle.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Just decided this ought to be a PC game for me instead of 360. And tomorrow marks my first Steam pre-load. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I will be only playing this game on ironman, which is pretty much how I play all turn based games now - no fun otherwise.

• Options
    "He....it....was shooting at me," Mikhail half-whispered, his voice trembling. "Private Stewart caught the blast, but it had my name on it."

"Son," said Sergeant Heinsch, "Bullets can't read. They don't know whose name they got, and neither do you."

"It should have been me."

"Probably. But bullets don't always go where they should."

For Mikhail, that was some comfort. For Heinsch, it was a prayer for forgiveness.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    I'm curious, aegeri - do psychic soldiers gain any bonuses or abilities beyond mind control, or is mind control it?

I mean, mind control is pretty damn good, I'm just wondering.

• Options
    Yeah they do actually, they can gain a power called ravage, which is a psionic attack that deals decent damage and he had one other power. I didn't unfortunately get time to look at it, but there seem to be a few other psionic abilities other than mind control. I am pretty sure there is at least one panic equivalent.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yeah they do actually, they can gain a power called ravage, which is a psionic attack that deals decent damage and he had one other power. I didn't unfortunately get time to look at it, but there seem to be a few other psionic abilities other than mind control. I am pretty sure there is at least one panic equivalent.

I look forward to juicing a muton like an over-ripe tomato.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

Goddamnit, will you please buy this game. It is physically paining me knowing you aren't buying it.

• Options

I like this.

I like this a lot.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Oh man, does ravage require direct line of sight? Cause squad sight + that would be hilarious.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

Goddamnit, will you please buy this game. It is physically paining me knowing you aren't buying it.

Remind me, what is Tycho's reason again?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

Remind me, what is Tycho's reason again?

Too many games already. Like, what the fuck ever dude. A good game is a good game and it gets to the top of the que.

This discussion has been closed.