Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS2 The Game With No Last Stand Or Dead Man's Hand

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    MW2 is like one of those kids' cartoons with constant flashing lights and other hyperactive nonsense. I can't really put my finger on any one thing, but it just felt like everything was turned up to 11, and I just couldn't get into it. Like when the other team gets on a roll and just starts raining various forms of explosives down on you, and you might as well put the controller down and go make a sandwich, because you're going to die as soon as you respawn, and you know the nuke is at the end of the barrage anyway. It's sort of like the Killer Instinct of the FPS genre in that way. I just could never adapt to the pace...it just moved about 5x as fast as the previous games.

BlOps scaled things more or less back to the pace of MW1 and WaW, although none of the maps had that sense of raw realism that MW1 did.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Nuke Boosters. Where only annoying because of noobtubes. People cheating by putting their friends on the other teams were douchebags but can't blame the game because people are scum.

Not because of stacking killstreaks or the fact that they could overrule objectives, though?

If someone managed to stack up to 25 kills without tubing meh, they got that one.

As for overriding objectives, yeah, I will give you that was stupid.
    final stand the deathstreak, not last stand. and with hardline pro, people got painkiller after 2 straight deaths. that even happens to good players on occasion. and I meant nuke boosters in FFA with tac inserts.

obviously you're free to disagree with me, but MW2 had a lot of problems. I loved the shit out of that game, but once black ops came out, I felt no temptation to go back. then when I started hating MW3, I felt no temptation to go back to black ops. if BO2 sucks, there's no way in hell I'll be playing MW3 ever. ever. for me, CoD is dying. IW seems to be increasingly making their games for the 12 year old crowd, what with all the deathstreaks, easy mode support streaks, etc. black ops was a much "harder" game in it's prime. there were overpowered things, obviously, but doing well was more rewarding. if I got a pavelow in MW3, I was more surprised that I had managed to avoid some bullshit death for that long than I was happy that I was doing well.

long story short, CoD is wearing out it's welcome for me. there are just too many great games out there for me to want to spend time being frustrated with it. Borderlands 2, halo 4, and mass effect 3 will all be filling my multiplayer need if the game ends up being terrible.

I know I'm kind of being a negative nancy about it, but I was super pumped for MW3 and that bitch broke my heart. I'm going in with low expectations and hoping to be surprised.

As yeah, forgot they were different that saying. Most good players aren't going to try to abuse deathstreaks because most of the time they're trying not to die. And everyone knows that Stopping power was the only tier 2 perk worth having.

As for being worn out on CoD...I mean I think everyone here is except for a select few.

As for Black Ops. Its funny that people say Black Ops was the "harder" CoD when, imo, so many of the weapons/perks/killstreaks were mediocre that it actually made the game pretty easy since it was a lot more forgiving.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    MW2 is like one of those kids' cartoons with constant flashing lights and other hyperactive nonsense. I can't really put my finger on any one thing, but it just felt like everything was turned up to 11, and I just couldn't get into it. Like when the other team gets on a roll and just starts raining various forms of explosives down on you, and you might as well put the controller down and go make a sandwich, because you're going to die as soon as you respawn, and you know the nuke is at the end of the barrage anyway. It's sort of like the Killer Instinct of the FPS genre in that way. I just could never adapt to the pace...it just moved about 5x as fast as the previous games.

BlOps scaled things more or less back to the pace of MW1 and WaW, although none of the maps had that sense of raw realism that MW1 did.

How to counter other team on roll

5-7-11 or 5-7-9

MW2 is just so easy to get on and fuck shit up as long as you don't get stuck in a lobby of tubers. Every gun is viable and if you have any form of coordination you can just shit on kids all day long.

I mean seriously
    eLiXM.jpg

iRevert on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Guess who is getting a free copy of BLOPS 2 from his buddy at launch? This guy!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Unfortunately your free copy will be for the Wii

• Options
    iRevert wrote: »

Unfortunately your free copy will be for the Wii

Yeah, that would suck. :)

I need to run with the bitchfest PA squad. Personally, I can't wait for two of you fuckers to get blasted drunk and CODcast one of our matches. Shit will be epic.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I honestly could not care less about IW's next CoD game. I won't be buying it, I've already given them one chance too many. MW2 was a blast, but with all of the bullshit in that game that they refused to fix, I can't say I'm surprised with how retarded MW3 turned out to be.

This is my position, as well. I won't be buying any more Infinity Ward Call of Duty titles. They had all of my confidence after CoD4, but then they took the series in a direction I simply don't enjoy. I did really enjoy Black Ops, though (it's probably my favorite game in the series) because I think Treyarch has a fundamentally different design philosophy than IW at this point - one that I really do enjoy. But, we'll see what happens. I know that I won't ever buy another IW game, but I'll continue to purchase Treyarch games so long as the stuff they put out is fun to me.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As for Black Ops. Its funny that people say Black Ops was the "harder" CoD when, imo, so many of the weapons/perks/killstreaks were mediocre that it actually made the game pretty easy since it was a lot more forgiving.

I can see where you're coming from. Black Ops is a much more consistent experience, in my opinion, compared to the Modern Warfare series. On a "Fun and Exciting" scale, BLOPs consistently hovers around a 7 for me. The Infinity Ward games feel really inconsistent in comparison, having higher highs and lower lows. Modern Warfare 3, for example, may spike up to a 9 at times, and drop down to a 5 at others. It still averages out at about a 7 overall, but that kind of inconsistency isn't much fun for me. I can see how people who are accustomed to "spiking" up higher on the fun scale would say that BLOPs is boring in comparison, though.

It's all just personal preference.

I consider Black Ops to be the "harder" CoD, by the way. Primarily because of non-stacking kill streaks. In BLOPs, if you want an 11 kill streak, like Dogs, you need to get 11 kills. If you can't get 11 kills in a row, your only choice is to get better or to run Care Packages and hope you get lucky. In the Modern Warfare series, though, you're almost guaranteed to get a Reaper if you can get your Predator out. And with Hardline Pro, you can toss out Predator Drones like candy.

And there's nothing wrong with that design philosophy, it just isn't fun for me. Modern Warfare feels chaotic and inconsistent, because it's so easy to get multiple streaks up in the air; people are constantly churning out and stacking up streaks. I prefer the Black Ops model, personally. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    You guys are crazy. The only truly awful CoD game was World at War. It took me a while to warm up to BLOPS, but I like it now. MW3 is the best entry in the series to date, and I'm hoping that BLOPS 2 outdoes it (Which its looking as if it will).

MW4 is a bit disappointing to hear about, but it will have Captain Price. That's something I suppose. I'll stay cautiously optimistic until I know more about it. If it follows the same MW formula I may skip it, but if they go all BLOPS 2 on it and overhaul the crap outta everything, then we'll see.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    How to counter other team on roll

5-7-11 or 5-7-9

MW2 is just so easy to get on and fuck shit up as long as you don't get stuck in a lobby of tubers. Every gun is viable and if you have any form of coordination you can just shit on kids all day long.

I mean seriously
    http://i.imgur.com/eLiXM.jpg
    Thanks for the advice. I never realized that doing well in MW2 was as easy as going 74-2 in every game. I wonder if any of those guys on the other team realized that if they stopped dying so much and got six dozen kills, they would be doing better.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    You guys are crazy. The only truly awful CoD game was World at War.
    Wrong. WaW was fantastic. COD1 was cool at the time, but aged like milk.

fearsomepirate on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You guys might like this series. It's by Hutch, from Machinima. He released during Black Ops, so there's no mention of Modern Warfare 3. It's basically the history of the Call of Duty franchise from a multiplayer perspective. He examines what was good (and what was bad) about each game, and I think he does a pretty good job, personally. Anyway, I'll leave it here for you guys to check out.

Part I (Call of Duty 2 and 3)
    Part II (Call of Duty 4 and World at War)
    Part III (Modern Warfare 2)
    Part IV (Black Ops)

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I consider Black Ops to be the "harder" CoD, by the way.
    It's not that it's harder, it's that the reward vs. skill curve is flatter. In BlOps, being the guy who has team-wiping killstreaks up for 90% of the game time requires a much greater level of skill (I am saying this because I see it happen way, way less often). But on the flip side, this means that players in the middle or even bottom half of the pack are able to do more since they're rarely getting dogs and Hueys set on them for ten uninterrupted minutes, and even the biggest kill streaks are easier to counter than in MW2. In WaW and MW1, the killstreaks just plain didn't hit as hard, and there weren't as many up simultaneously.

It sounds like in BlOps2, they're doing more to ensure the bottom 50% of players have a good time. And they're doing it the right way, with skill-based matchmaking and this new hybrid human-bot mode, which give the weaker players ways to avoid playing with the best players at all, rather than trying to nerf/randomize things so that the top 10% of players get frustrated because they feel like their skill doesn't matter.

fearsomepirate on
  • Options
    I think you hit the nail pretty much right on the head, Fear.

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    I got gold camo for my 1887, I'm ready for Blops 2 now.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    It sounds like in BlOps2, they're doing more to ensure the bottom 50% of players have a good time. And they're doing it the right way, with skill-based matchmaking and this new hybrid human-bot mode, which give the weaker players ways to avoid playing with the best players at all, rather than trying to nerf/randomize things so that the top 10% of players get frustrated because they feel like their skill doesn't matter.

Is there any consolidated information about what's changing in Blops2 to accommodate this kind of stuff? I haven't been following the game very much, but this very much interests me. I'm pretty firmly in the bottom 50%.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    They've mentioned ranked matchmaking a few times, but I don't remember which videos it was in. I don't think it's available in every game mode, though.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    1. Here is David Vonderhaar discussing League Play. This keeps people matched up with people in the same "tier" as them. You move up a tier by winning a lot, and move down by losing. I have not heard any confirmation of whether it's TDM only, or all modes, or if it will be like Moshpit from BlOps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f40PZ0k8TQs

2. Bot matches are going to be of two types. There is Boot Camp/Objective where two teams, each of 3 bots and 3 humans, face off--and your XP and unlocks count toward multiplayer. For your first ten ranks, you only get to play TDM and earn XP at the normal rate. After that, you earn XP only at a 50% rate, but all modes other than SnD are open (this is because the bots are not programmed to play SnD at all). The idea here seems to be that hey, three players on the other team will always be idiots that you can deal with. Then there will be vanilla bots where everything is already unlocked, you earn no XP, and you can do whatever the heck you want in terms of how many people and how many bots are on each side.

fearsomepirate on
  • Options
    That all sounds good, though I'm not totally sure what the deal with league play is. In the video, he mentions that it is kept separate from the normal matchmaking -- but how is it any different from standard matchmaking in the first place?

• Options
    1. Here is David Vonderhaar discussing League Play. This keeps people matched up with people in the same "tier" as them. You move up a tier by winning a lot, and move down by losing. I have not heard any confirmation of whether it's TDM only, or all modes, or if it will be like Moshpit

This will lead to people shit stomping kids all day and then deranking themselves so they can play low tier players non-stop. Your best bet is going to be if you play league play is to get to the middle of the pack early or have a group of competent players so when you run into the deranking tryhards you can stomp them.

Basically its halo matchmaking all over again except not as fun.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    he advice. I never realized that doing well in MW2 was as easy as going 74-2 in every game. I wonder if any of those guys on the other team realized that if they stopped dying so much and got six dozen kills, they would be doing better.

The point is people played MW2 for the killstreaks and not for the objectives, if you capped a point (your starting and B) it would stay yours all game except perhaps once where the other team would take it. Because of this if you took the two points early and kept at least one person who didn't suck on the points you are going to win by default provided it doesn't turn into a tubefest.

The other thing is just because you shit on kids doesn't mean you will win, if you look at that screenshot we lost even though we had two people putting up 70+ kills we lost by something like 10 points because me and the other dude were running around taking A and C and trying to hold them all game while our team mates camped B and did nothing.

You want to do good in MW2 without tubing is easy just focus on yourself and say fuck all to the team. Run 5-7-11 or 5-7-9 and basically any gun and your fine, play it a little bit slower then a run and gun and set up near a high traffic area or a spot where you have a good line of sight and you can hit 5 quickly and from there its just let your killstreaks do all the work.

If IW had taken MW2 as a whole and changed the OMA/Commando and made it into the MW3 point system the game would have been amazing. Taking the MW2 batshit overpowered model and pushing people to PTFO would have made things quite entertaining.
    It's not that it's harder, it's that the reward vs. skill curve is flatter.

BLOPS is harder if you didn't have host or four bars. If they had better netcode in that piece of shit I think most of us would have still been playing it. There just came a point collectively where the bullshit 11 shot difference off host just pushed people away, I truly hope that Blops2 made a massive effort to improve the netcode closer to MW3s or MW2s.

Though in a whole yes the reward/skill curve statement is correct.

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    That all sounds good, though I'm not totally sure what the deal with league play is. In the video, he mentions that it is kept separate from the normal matchmaking -- but how is it any different from standard matchmaking in the first place?
    Just selecting Team Deathmatch will throw you into the big pool of everybody playing TDM. Selecting TDM League Play will have you playing only with other league players. You know, sort of like if you choose Mercenary TDM, you only play with other people playing Mercenary TDM.
    iRevert wrote:
    This will lead to people shit stomping kids all day and then deranking themselves so they can play low tier players non-stop.
    Well, there are griefers in every game. But how many people derank themselves depends on what you have to do to derank yourself, and what kind of rewards there are for staying at a high tier. Treyarch has said they're going to be monitoring and tweaking all kinds of stuff in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'll keep tabs on the League Play in order to minimize that kind of behavior. Maybe they could add a K/D ceiling to each tier. That would basically force people to play like crap most of the time to stay in the lowest tier, so it wouldn't matter if they were capable of playing lights-out. But if it's as easy as playing lights-out and then quitting right before the game ends, yeah, you'll get a lot of that nonsense.

fearsomepirate on
  • Options
    Just selecting Team Deathmatch will throw you into the big pool of everybody playing TDM. Selecting TDM League Play will have you playing only with other league players. You know, sort of like if you choose Mercenary TDM, you only play with other people playing Mercenary TDM.
    iRevert wrote:
    This will lead to people shit stomping kids all day and then deranking themselves so they can play low tier players non-stop.
    Well, there are griefers in every game. But how many people derank themselves depends on what you have to do to derank yourself, and what kind of rewards there are for staying at a high tier. Treyarch has said they're going to be monitoring and tweaking all kinds of stuff in the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'll keep tabs on the League Play in order to minimize that kind of behavior. Maybe they could add a K/D ceiling to each tier. That would basically force people to play like crap most of the time to stay in the lowest tier, so it wouldn't matter if they were capable of playing lights-out. But if it's as easy as playing lights-out and then quitting right before the game ends, yeah, you'll get a lot of that nonsense.

Run around backwards all game and get one kill per minute = a very hard to track deranker unless they use an average SPM system but then people would say "it was my brother using my account playing" or "I just had a bad game" and they would have a hard time keeping results legit.

This ranking system is just going to turn into a pubstompers dream with constant deranking.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Did you know: Matchmaking STILL doesn't fucking work in Blops if you play with a group.

The More You Know.jpg

• Options
    Seriously, this is my biggest Blops fear. They didn't fucking fix matchmaking, at all. And the lag compensation is still worse than MW3's, I guess that is another fear. Also the the spawns in Blops are still worse than MW3, that is another fear.

Basically the opposite of everything everyone said about Mw3 vs Blops, cause seriously rose colored glasses, folks. We played Blops for like 4 nights ~a week ago. All that shit, spawns, lag, matchmaking, are all significantly worse in blops.

Also, sniping is worse in blops cause quarkscoping is a one shot kill, and everyone agrees that time-to-kill with normal guns is longer in blops than MW, so, you know, the snipers in blops have a better chance at killing you, since it takes you longer to kill them, but it takes them the same amount of time to kill you.

Like, so much wrong things have been said in this thread ion the last two days, you guys cray

• Options

That sounds like a bit of an improvement, assuming the league placement is reliable.

• Options
    Run around backwards all game and get one kill per minute = a very hard to track deranker unless they use an average SPM system but then people would say "it was my brother using my account playing" or "I just had a bad game" and they would have a hard time keeping results legit.
    Right, and then everyone else on the other team gets to enjoy themselves as you deliberately play like crap. Not seeing how that's a bad thing. And it's all about incentives. If, for example, it takes two hours of playing like crap in order to cancel out ten minutes of kicking butt, not a lot of people will be willing to do that, and I wouldn't expect to see a lot of derankers in public matches--further, you're just canceling out your own griefing by giving the opposing team lots of easy wins. If it's as easy as backing out of games at the last second (since that has traditionally counted as a loss), lots of people will do it.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Seriously, this is my biggest Blops fear. They didn't fucking fix matchmaking, at all. And the lag compensation is still worse than MW3's, I guess that is another fear. Also the the spawns in Blops are still worse than MW3, that is another fear.

Basically the opposite of everything everyone said about Mw3 vs Blops, cause seriously rose colored glasses, folks. We played Blops for like 4 nights ~a week ago. All that shit, spawns, lag, matchmaking, are all significantly worse in blops.

Also, sniping is worse in blops cause quarkscoping is a one shot kill, and everyone agrees that time-to-kill with normal guns is longer in blops than MW, so, you know, the snipers in blops have a better chance at killing you, since it takes you longer to kill them, but it takes them the same amount of time to kill you.

Like, so much wrong things have been said in this thread ion the last two days, you guys cray

So if what I'm reading here is correct, MW3 > BLOPS?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    79 and 1 on Nuketown. Fuck yes. New K/D record for me.

• Options

If your complaints about MW3 are any combination of spawns, lag, matchmaking, or snipers, yes, mw3 is objectively better.

Those are none of my complaints about MW3, however.

I actually can't really think of anything that I dislike that much about MW3. akimbo, I guess. and support streaks. and death streaks. but all those things are in blops, as well. Maybe I dislike losing the in game player card? Thats probably my biggest complaint. I cant stare at stats in between games and see OG having less, uhhhh, flag caps than me.

Suck on that, og. 5 caps, one game.

• Options
    There are no death streaks in BlOps.

• Options
    There are no death streaks in BlOps.

Last Stand.

nuff said

• Options
    Last Stand is a T3 perk in BlOps, not a death streak.

• Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular

If your complaints about MW3 are any combination of spawns, lag, matchmaking, or snipers, yes, mw3 is objectively better.

I actually can't really think of anything that I dislike that much about MW3. akimbo, I guess. and support streaks. and death streaks. but all those things are in blops, as well. Maybe I dislike losing the in game player card? Thats probably my biggest complaint. I cant stare at stats in between games and see OG having less, uhhhh, flag caps than me.

What I've gotten way more than 10 caps in a game. besides everyone knows the most important stat is 14 tomahawks, one game.

and Blops is totally 'super hard' what with the broken as fuck blackbird and the stupidly predictable spawns.

Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options

I think spawns are equally bad in both games. It's quite possible to get lockdowns going for a team of tryhards, but I think they are easier in BLOPS. MW3 spawns just seem to cause more overall rage from the PA crew in my experience. Lag is definitely more noticeable in BLOPS. That was one of the nicest things about MW3 was seeing my shots connect more consistently. Matchmaking sucked in both games because rank/experience was never taken into account. Snipers....well yeah, they suck to deal with in both games, but more so to me in MW3 from quickscoping.

Well whatever, hopefully BLOPS2 will be the end all cure to all of the past CoD problems!
    YEAH RIGHT!!!!

2307282-55860__jj_jameson_laughing_meme_1.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    While technically correct, that doesn't change the fact that last Stand exists. Makes it worse even, as you don't even have to suck horribly to activate it. You have it starting off.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Yes. They took the only annoying deathstreak. Made it stronger. And made it a perk that ~1/4th of the player base uses.

You are correct, it was significantly worse than death streaks.

aka, last stand. nuff said (except it somehow wasnt enough said?)

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Say what you will about Blops spawns, but at least I never spawned in front of a bullet. That happened to me multiple times in MW3.

• Options
    Blops had the worst spawns:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJTwuD8BORY

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Say what you will about Blops spawns, but at least I never spawned in front of a bullet. That happened to me multiple times in MW3.

Ima make a video from blops last week when I get home, I guess.

@OG flag caps refers to capture the flag.

@Dover, I think you confused my points. When I complain about matchmaking, I am entirely refering to having to count the people in your loby every game, since every other lobby you join is missing at least one person from your party that the game inexplicably drops. As for sniping, you can easily quickscope in blops. And again, its easier in blops because being shot doesnt mean you are going to die, because the time to kill for every non-sniper rifle is longer, but its the same for every sniper rifle.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    CTF flags don't count cause they suck.
    90% of the things I like better in blops have nothing to do with gameplay.

dinoarus on