As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mitchell & [Chat] & Webb

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also it is quite funny in the context of the colonists getting mad about the royal proclamation of 1763 in the first place

all in all the british were not exactly HEY INDIAN BROS LETS HIGH FIVE EACH OTHER but it is probable that what happened to the natives afterwards was significantly worse due to the revolution

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    crab i am eating homemade cheeseburgers my aunt made. they are not very good. v_v

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I posted that twice, Abdhyius.

If people actually respond to it this time I'mma be pissed

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    crab i am eating homemade cheeseburgers my aunt made. they are not very good. v_v

"These homemade burgers taste as bad as the home they were made in!"

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

How does one make a bad burger at home? I would like to know.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

wtf i thought she was a shit food genius

explain to me how this terrible occurrence has, er, occurred

also mazzy its pretty disingenuous to pretend that there is an equivalence between how the natives were treated in canada to the eventual fate of the natives in america

lets be real here y0

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If you want to get up in arms, stop screaming at a game and go work at some non-profits that try to help the Indian reservations and tribes and work on helping them now.

Getting angered at a commercial for a game that you haven't even played and thus can't even make an educated assumption on the characters action or interactions with other characters is goosery in my book.

The idea that one must earn the right to call something distasteful is frankly absurd. As if I couldn't, for instance, call out Tony Abbot's offensive misogyny without also volunteering at a women's crisis center. People say this sort of thing all the time, and it strikes me as the sort of thing that must be a symptom of our culture; we are somehow so allergic to the idea that something may be genuinely distasteful that we characterize those who point it out as screaming, angry, and so on, and we suggest at the end some apparently fatal hypocrisy (if you really cared, then you would ... !). But of course things can in fact be distasteful, and one need not scream or be angry to point that out, nor need they be crusaders for social justice in order to earn the right to point it out.

Okay, fine how about this. Outside the marketing department being stupid but I expect that on game marketing.

The commercial is no more distasteful than any other representation of Native Americans or the US revolution. The following 100 years shouldn't have bearing on a period piece or the characters. The treatment of natives is distasteful but this commercial does nothing to show it in one light or another. Any projection of such fully on the person who believes that and not on the one watching the commercial not the makers who instead are trying to sell a period game to US audiences who connect to that period through the mythology of nationalism and the ideals of that it espouses. If the game was instead during the Indian Wars, Trail of Tears, one of the many massacres of Native tribes and so on then I would expect the marketing to address that.

There is nothing about a period piece being sold to the public using the words and ideology that public views said period. And the ad makers, game makers and other parts of the corporation have no social requirements to put a big label on the ad saying, "Over the next 100 years these same colonials massacred numerous American tribes."

And this excluding the whole advertising and product are not always the same as they are more like trailers than anything. And trailers tend to be full of half truths and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I restarted x-com. I didn't have enough satellites and was being too slow and stuff.

Now I am sending a team into a Very Difficult attack on Tokyo.

Scared : o

• Options
    If you're horny, let's do it
    Ride it, my pony
    My saddle's waiting
    Come and jump on it

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I posted that twice, Abdhyius.

If people actually respond to it this time I'mma be pissed

I have a record of posting excellent indie games!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0OD0EEkJdQ

The best dubstep ever isn't going to be lost at the bottom of the page.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    I restarted x-com. I didn't have enough satellites and was being too slow and stuff.

PUT ON YOUR MAN PANTS SON

ITS TIME TO GET YOURSELF VERY HARD

or something?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

How does one make a bad burger at home? I would like to know.

i dunno

i didn't watch her make them... they are ground beef formed approximately into the shape of a burger

but the buns are kind of stale and the cheese tastes off and the burger's dry and

• Options
    I was wondering why Organichu calls sureallity 'crab' so I went through his old threads to see if he had a name change and the first one is an art thread where he uses grammar and shit.

WHAT HAPPENED

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    cutscene, walk, cutscene, walk

just play the cutscenes, i am not riveted by the ability to walk around, game

• Options
    Ride it, my pony
    My saddle's waiting
    Come and jump on it

Have you watched Magic Mike yet?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't know what is going on here, but I see native Americans being brought up and so feel compelled to point out that Andrew Jackson is a patriot, hero, and visionary, and that Thr trail of tears, while unfortunate, was largely if not entirely handled in accordance with applicable law at the time.

• Options
    Is the inside of the burger grey, Organichu.

• Options
    I was wondering why Organichu calls sureallity 'crab' so I went through his old threads to see if he had a name change and the first one is an art thread where he uses grammar and shit.

WHAT HAPPENED

oh

his lol name was "tiny angry crab" and i knew him from lol before he started posting frequently in chat, so that is the name i still have ingrained for him in my head

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

wtf i thought she was a shit food genius

explain to me how this terrible occurrence has, er, occurred

also mazzy its pretty disingenuous to pretend that there is an equivalence between how the natives were treated in canada to the eventual fate of the natives in america

lets be real here y0

Actually the treatment of the natives in Canada especially in the 20th century very much resembles treatment in the US. There is a difference though in population density and numbers that makes the US treatment seem worse. But also a large amount of successive wars between tribes and the US. The different native groups in the US ranged from pretty peaceful, even anglecized to rape and murder equivalents of the mongols of the great plains.

Oh and on the lets be real thing...

Treatment of the Natives is at most very lightly correlated at best. Most of it is tied to later periods and historical events such as the gold and land rushes in the 1830s to the 1860s.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

WHAT HAPPENED

i dont like to talk about... "the event"

crab is from my lol name "TINY ANGRY CRAB"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QBNfqwt3YyQ#!

I will forever be cursed by the fact that I hate point-and-click but love pretty and interesting

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I don't know what is going on here, but I see native Americans being brought up and so feel compelled to point out that Andrew Jackson is a patriot, hero, and visionary, and that Thr trail of tears, while unfortunate, was largely if not entirely handled in accordance with applicable law at the time.

You're a goosefucker.

• Options
    Ride it, my pony
    My saddle's waiting
    Come and jump on it

haha you read my mind

typed that post while watching it

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Well that base assault went...poorly.

Team wipe of all my high rankers. I need something which can one-shot crysallids, otherwise every just gets alien-sexed.

Which is like...the exact animation which happens when they kill your guys too.

• Options
    ed rendell

don't have a recording of your voice call me on behalf of obama-for-america with 'some very exciting news'

shut up, ed rendell

you call me personally or i hang up on your stupid recording

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

You're a goosefucker.

Your insulting comment is the real atrocity.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually the treatment of the natives in Canada especially in the 20th century very much resembles treatment in the US. There is a difference though in population density and numbers that makes the US treatment seem worse.

its worse in a percentage basis too

it was also worse from a policy standpoint pre 20th century

even by simple proxy measures like size of population relative to original population the canadian treatment comes off better.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

or something?

But there's screams and ruined tanks

Okay! Time to hustle.

You and elldren and skippy are all in the hospital right now.

Organichu, Gooey, Shivahn, Simonwolf and Abdhyius are going to have to rescue some civilians.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Those holes on the breastplate seem to defeat the purpose of wearing armor.

Some sort of parade armor?

well since he is a skeleton warrior it is actually intended to distract his opponents into attacking those non-vital areas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    There's something about him having a vendetta against the British for destroying where he lived and killing his family/village/etc.

Andrew CrazyAssNeverDie Jackson?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

or something?

But there's screams and ruined tanks

Okay! Time to hustle.

You and elldren and skippy are all in the hospital right now.

Organichu, Gooey, Shivahn, Simonwolf and Abdhyius are going to have to rescue some civilians.

I BETTER COME OUT BETTER THAN BEFORE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Where am I.

I am always dead.

You people always get me killed!

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Okay, sf-86 done. Now to calm down and try to remain cool during the ASVAB tomorrow.

maybe cleaning will relax my nerves...

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Ride it, my pony
    My saddle's waiting
    Come and jump on it

haha you read my mind

typed that post while watching it

Hi5

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    thinking cat

6I0js.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    also holy shit this lawnmower

http://i.imgur.com/d2hEo.gif

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.